Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bikes Scam?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sio i'Cork like

28064212 wrote: »
    Emmm, isn't there a screen on every single dublinbike station for checking where the nearest stations are and how many spaces are free?

Yes the surrounding stations were also full. I can't remember now which stations were free but they were not convenient by any means. Usually when I wait someone will come along or the DB truck will be along. 10mins is about the longest I've had to wait before.
    Also, the charge is worked out like this: €6.50 (4hrs) + €2 for each half-hour after (or part-thereof). I assume you're being charged €40.50? Then you went just over the 8th hour, which would make it 17 half-hours *€2 = €34 + €6.50 = €40.50

Correct. I would worked it out to be 15 half-hours, but I suppose 16 would be correct for the part-thereof. The first 30 mins are free, but I guess I waive that in light of exceeding it.
    If you ask nicely, it's possible Dublin Bikes might let you off as a good-will gesture. However, they are certainly not obliged to do so

I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimmy Gogola

Duckjob wrote: »
    Point 1 is - They're not deliberately trying to rip you off. it's just an admin thing - so coming on and labeling it a scam comes across as a bit arsey TBH.

Point 2 is - you'll get the full 52 weeks in subsequent years if you renew. I suppose you could pursue them for your 2 weeks if you want to, but IMO it's an excellent service and excellent value at the price - one of the few things we DON'T get ripped off on, so I think it would be rather petty.

Just to clarify, if you pursue this you would be pursuing a claim of a value of around 40c. Hope you're not planning to get a solicitor on the case on a commission basis :D
    If you're going to law, insist on a 'no foal, no fee' contract with your solicitor and barrister; then ensure that the max fee is 40 cent; only people of principle could be trusted to pursue the knaves who have perpetrated this appalling injustice, and only someone of the most exceptional discernment would have noticed it. This could be the beginning of a fightback by the people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Robdude wrote: »

I don't know what sort of 'false advertising laws' Ireland has. But I do know, in many places, it's illegal to advertise something and then not provide it; EVEN if you have tiny print that says your advertisement is B.S.

Contact the ASAI and see if their advertising is legit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ASAI only deals with paid advertising. The DB website is outside their remit. The National Consumer Agency is the relevant body for this, but you must have already complained to DB and had an unsatisfactory response before they'll get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm a bit miffed at the level grief the OP has received over a valid complaint.

Why can't the Dublin Bikes system commence the year from the first use of the card? From an IT perspective it's perfectly feasible solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Robdude wrote: »
    The company advertised and charged me for a one year membership; but only sold me a 50 week membership.

It would be better to approach the issue from a different point of view. Take into account that I haven't read the terms and conditions of the cards, nor if issuing the card takes two weeks or not. But if I felt pissed by this, if wouldn't be for the money, less than half a euro, but for the inconvenience of having to wait two full weeks for a card that nobody told me it was going to take so long, and with no way of using the system till then.

For me , the anger and inconvenience of not being able to use the service from the word go, and (for example) arriving late and angry because of the aforementioned card issue, it's work far more than the annual 10€ fee for the card.

But every person can take it in a very different way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭vangough

anybody know if there are plans to put a station in grand canal dock/hanover quay area? would be really handy for me.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 colin2012

dublin bikes wont accept my card

dublin bikes wont accept my debit card-does anyone have an old bike that i can have-even if it is broken as i need one for a new job that iam starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Yawn....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Rob, you won't be happy about this but I remember signing up to DB a week or 2 after the scheme was introduced and my card took f00king aaaaaages to arrive.

I'd caution against signing up to DB if you're a rage head. At peak hours you could easily pass 4 empty stations in a row. The worst is when you're pegging it home on the bike, it's really cold and wet, you arrive at the station and it's full. If you're raging about the 2 week snip, then you will be livid about stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I'm a bit miffed at the level grief the OP has received over a valid complaint.

Why can't the Dublin Bikes system commence the year from the first use of the card? From an IT perspective it's perfectly feasible solution.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just got my card yesterday, loving the service so far. I was just wondering, if I have a bike out for say 25mins, and I drop it back to a station, if I come and get another bike 10 minutes or so later will the half an hour free have been reset or is it based on a 24 hour period?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Just got my card yesterday, loving the service so far. I was just wondering, if I have a bike out for say 25mins, and I drop it back to a station, if I come and get another bike 10 minutes or so later will the half an hour free have been reset or is it based on a 24 hour period?

I think its 15minutes but cannot remember precisely. You can definitely get it out a few times a day with no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭28064212

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's reset. And you have to wait 5 minutes between taking a bike out: http://www.dublinbikes.ie/How-does-it-work/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Stations-and-bikes-dbs#faq2

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks guys, that's great. Can't wait to get back out there and do some exploring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 skipdeedy

I can't see a new thread button so a post here will have to do.

I think Dublin-bikes are great. But a 2 weeks ago I got a bike from Kings Street with the intention of leaving it over the other side of the city(close to home). My intended station was full, which it is quite often, so i waited like I normally would because more often than not someone one will rent or the lorry will come around and free up spaces. Not this time so I went to the nearest station which, my app said, had free spots. It didn't when I got there. I went to another close by station which was also full. I cycled back by the other 2 full stations and waited a while longer at the station I originally wanted. The whole process took about 40mins in total, (so about 25- 30 mins waiting for the station to free up). In the end I felt I had no choice but to take the bike home which I didn't want to do.
    I dropped the bike of the next morning. I knew I would get a charge but nothing showed up straight away so I though Dublin-bikes were aware of the problem.
    I have since been charged over €40. I have no idea how they worked that out. I had the bike out for 12hrs exactly, which I work out to be €36.50 (free 30mins + €6.50 (4hrs) + €30 (7.5hrs) ). But I refute having to pay this amount anyway.
    I have complained via the contact form on Dublinbikes.ie but all they said in response was that I should have returned the bike to an empty station. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should tackle this?

Hi - just wondering if you ever got anywhere with this complaint? I have just been smacked with a bill for €56 for having to leave a bike overnight in a similar situation. Had to collect kids from creche before it closed so could not wait around for ages or drive off to loads of other stations. I got the kids in the pram and walked with them back to the station again and waited ages but none became free so I had to go home. I'm sorry but €56 for having to leave a bike overnight is pure robbery.

Advertisement