Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House vs Old House

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Any house built in the last 3-4 years will be better built than anything else available this thing of old houses being better built is a nonsense .

Some of the other points are wrong too there are new builds in any part of Dublin you want including Blackrock foxrock and Dalkey, they may be expensive but to say they don’t exist is plain wrong .

New house for me any day of the week .

M.Cribben wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider clean grout as a significant revamp. Similar to what a previous poster said, upvc windows, modern kitchens, bathrooms, fresh paint, tiles, even good insulation are not exclusive to new builds. Most homeowners look after and take pride in their house to some degree. A quick look around my area on daft ( built 30+ years ago) shows most of the houses are immaculate, almost show house condition. Beautiful kitchens, double/triple glazed upvc windows, composite doors, freshly painted, and so on. Without any of the downsides of new estates (management fees, tiny gardens, parking issues). You don't have to buy a new build to buy a nice house.

Upvc windows are seen as a good thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cyrus wrote: »
    Any house built in the last 3-4 years will be better built than anything else available this thing of old houses being better built is a nonsense .

Some of the other points are wrong too there are new builds in any part of Dublin you want including Blackrock foxrock and Dalkey, they may be expensive but to say they don’t exist is plain wrong .

Not being funny but just saying anything built in the last year years is better is nonsense too.

Cyrus your smart enough to understand we still have no real building enforcement on this island and I've personally seen builds built to minimum standards brand new.

I think I even seen yourself in a thread complaining about draughts in a new build.

So as others have pointed out new versus old is an idiots argument.

Every house is different. Take the house in its own merits.

To stick to new and old argument it demonstrates no grasp of understanding of what goes into a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Building technology has constantly changed/improved through a combination of trial and error, improved understanding, increased knowledge and regulations. Historic buildings were built in quite a different manner than those today. Throughout history they have also been built differently; for example, building technology changed quite dramatically during the 18th Century.

Many old buildings were very very badly built and it might be argued that, mostly, the better built examples survive.

There are aspects of older construction which are better than modern techniques. There are elements of contemporary building that are better than historic construction. One is not better than the other in every regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

An old house tends go be more "quirky", because lots would have been done to it over the years by its previous owners. The downside is some of the work could be of the "cowboy" DIY variety. There is more effort keeping an old house clean, I think. Window cleaning can be a bit of a chore. Taps can be leaking and various similar irritations. Overall, despite the limitations, I would go for the older, more "quirky" house.

• Advertisement

Everybody has different opinions, tastes and budgets but for me personally when we bought in 2013/14, it was new build every time for our budget and value for money. We had the opportunity to buy an older house in one of the "best" areas in Dublin (Rathgar) or a new build in Wicklow and we picked the new build in Wicklow for the following reasons; twice the size, smaller estate, A3 BER Rating, location suits our lifestyle (outside of work) better and the commuting distance to work wasn't much longer...(work in Dublin), no kids yet but when we do we'll still send them to school in Dublin more than likely.

I have to say - we looked at new builds in Dublin also and even "nice" ones in South Dublin were "on top of each other" and didn't have much space so I understand where some of the comments in this thread came from.

I wouldn't consider clean grout as a significant revamp. Similar to what a previous poster said, upvc windows, modern kitchens, bathrooms, fresh paint, tiles, even good insulation are not exclusive to new builds. Most homeowners look after and take pride in their house to some degree. A quick look around my area on daft ( built 30+ years ago) shows most of the houses are immaculate, almost show house condition. Beautiful kitchens, double/triple glazed upvc windows, composite doors, freshly painted, and so on. Without any of the downsides of new estates (management fees, tiny gardens, parking issues). You don't have to buy a new build to buy a nice house.

That’s your opinion great good to know!

listermint wrote: »
    Not being funny but just saying anything built in the last year years is better is nonsense too.

Cyrus your smart enough to understand we still have no real building enforcement on this island and I've personally seen builds built to minimum standards brand new.

I think I even seen yourself in a thread complaining about draughts in a new build.

So as others have pointed out new versus old is an idiots argument.

Every house is different. Take the house in its own merits.

To stick to new and old argument it demonstrates no grasp of understanding of what goes into a house

I stand by it on the basis of what I have seen unless it was a one off build specified by a wealthy owner new builds today are far better than houses built 10 , 20 and 50 years ago

My thread on draughts was related to the requirement for vents due to air tightness and it’s pretty easily solved it doesn’t change the point

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Another downside of new builds I forgot is 10% of your estate will be social housing. I wouldn't enjoy getting up for work every day to pay a big mortgage knowing Billy next door who got the house for practically nothing is still in bed laughing at all the eejits making the effort.

Another downside of new builds I forgot is 10% of your estate will be social housing. I wouldn't enjoy getting up for work every day to pay a big mortgage knowing Billy next door who got the house for practically nothing is still in bed laughing at all the eejits making the effort.

thats not always the case either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

That's a very poor view of the world. Social housing is necessary in any developed country. Not all social housing tenants are scoffing and laughing down at their mortgage paying neighbors, most have jobs, work hard, pay what they can and are just trying to make a good life for them and their families.

Like everything, its the vast minority that are out to scoff at everyone else while paying nothing.

But hey, if that doesn't fit in with your populist ideals just head back to the journal post there and wait for a few thumbs up to validate that you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

I see and appreciate your point, M.Cribben| On the other hand, if special estates are set up for social housing only, we run the risk of setting up crime-ridden ghettos. Surely that's what we're trying to get away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If I get a mortgage that I'm happy and comfortably able to pay why does it matter what anyone else in the estate/road etc. pay? It's none of my business, estates/roads need diversity.

If I get a mortgage that I'm happy and comfortably able to pay why does it matter what anyone else in the estate/road etc. pay? It's none of my business, estates/roads need diversity.

PANews%20BT_P-474a2c6b-2d6d-4041-a8c9-e135ba79f2b4_I1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Cyrus wrote: »

I agree, case in point would be College Square in Terenure 2 years ago.

€650k in a settled area for well built 4 bed 1,700sq ft semi D. Same money would buy a similar sized house in Wainsfort Manor but with €100k+ required to put in.

They are building some exceptional houses in settled areas in Dublin. Often at same price as older houses in same area so in reality they are €100-150k cheaper if you compare like for like. Compromise is smaller garden and over 3 storeys typically in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I agree, case in point would be College Square in Terenure 2 years ago.

€650k in a settled area for well built 4 bed 1,700sq ft semi D. Same money would buy a similar sized house in Wainsfort Manor but with €100k+ required to put in.

They are building some exceptional houses in settled areas in Dublin. Often at same price as older houses in same area so in reality they are €100-150k cheaper if you compare like for like. Compromise is smaller garden and over 3 storeys typically in Dublin.

The vast majority of second-hand homes for sale do not require €150k of work though. Saying 'which is better - old vs new house" is too simplistic a question to describe the range of age and condition of properties for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Location I guess...

New houses typically not available in what some would regard as the most desirable locations (in Dublin anyway).

Location is a huge part of it. I had reason to be in Ongar, D15 over the weekend and there is a lot of new builds out there (thousands in fact). It was such a souless place and the hosts of the BBQ were telling me a lot of neighbours are at each others throats and the bus service is woeful. The village itself is run down (even though not that old) and there is lots of new building going on meaning there is dust absolutely everywhere. This will continue on for the foreseeable. I wouldnt like to live in that kind of environment and would go with a settled area and 2nd hand house over it. Settled area doesnt even have to be that old, perhaps 20-30 years or so. Plus lots of houses built in the 80s and 90s are bigger and have bigger gardens than new builds and they dont have the extra taxation of management fees or parking problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The vast majority of second-hand homes for sale do not require €150k of work though. Saying 'which is better - old vs new house" is too simplistic a question to describe the range of age and condition of properties for sale.

I'm using that figure to compare 2 sets of houses - €100k+ is required to bring older house up to close to A rating and modernise.

So after spending the €100k+ the new and old houses are more comparable, in the area I'm referring to (Terenure).

Our decision to buy an early 1970s house that needed 180k work to it in Cork was purely down to location. We couldn't get a new house in the location we wanted.

We did look at some new houses around the area, but we found these houses were crammed into much smaller sites and they were typically over three storeys. I am sure that is not the case in some other areas, but in a city especially it makes sense that most of the best locations are already taken unless large areas of land free up.

We are also paying rent for a year while the planning and building phase is going on. Unless you have another place to live, this is another expense that means these houses are not an option for lots of people. That and the fact that it is hard to get finance for the renovation costs.

I would guess it will cost us approximately 75k more than the cost of buying a house in turnkey condition. However, we felt it was well worth it for a better location, with a bigger site and gardens and with neighbours we were able to suss out in advance while also being safe in the knowledge that there won't be any other developments in the area any time soon.

Renovating an older house is not for everyone but it has its rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I haven’t moved into my home yet, but I’m in a group with my neighbours on WhatsApp, have met them all at showings and they all seem like lovely people, we’re all around the same age and not to jinx it but seems like they’ll be all quiet and friendly and no grumpy dry ****es telling you a tree is blocking their light etc. Juxtapose this with my parents and they literally talk to one set of neighbours the odd time and it’s very much a “hi how’s the weather”.

I'm with your parents on this. In the end they're your neighbours not your best friends. Having a Watsapp group with the neighbourhood? That would be my worst nightmare. But I think it's nice to know either side next door to keep an eye on things when you're away.

On the debate over new versus old. I bought new and while I'm extremely happy where i am, the build quality is definetly cheap in places and its smaller than houses of the same price 2nd hand. Location it's an edge of city estate but in a nice suburb although not many amenities nearby.

If your looking for good location and good sized house/garden buy older house. If you like no diy, super warm small home with probably a bit smaller space buy new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe it's where I'm living but all the new houses are 10-20% bigger than the older estates.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Maybe it's where I'm living but all the new houses are 10-20% bigger than the older estates.

Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where are you living?

Naas

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement