Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veradkar formally suspends 45 road projects

Options
  • 09-08-2011 11:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/on-the-road-to-nowhere-45-routes-axed-as-cutbacks-bite-2842859.html

Some of these require no further planning, they are shovel ready. Apart from that it is no real surprise.
    In a statement to the Irish Independent, Mr Varadkar confirmed he had "instructed the NRA to rein in spending on planning and preparatory works".
    He said: "Specifically, the NRA is taking all road projects to the end of their current stage of planning and will suspend them at that point.
    "In my view, we should focus the limited resources we have on maintain existing infrastructure and proceeding with the small number of shovel-ready projects that we can afford to proceed with.
    "I do not believe that it is appropriate to continue to spend millions of euro planning projects when we do not know if we can fund them.

List

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/projects-in-the-pipeline-that-are-now-suspended-2842853.html

N2 Slane bypass.
    N2 Castleblayney to NI Border.
    N3 North of Kells to Cavan.
    N4 Mullingar to Longford Rooskey.
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod.
    N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin.
    N5 Westport to N26 at Bohola.
    M8 Dunkettle interchange upgrade.
    M11 Enniscorthy to Gorey.
    N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour.
    N14 Letterkenny to Lifford.
    N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass.
    N15 Sligo to Bundoran.
    N15 Lifford to Ballybofey/Stanorlar.
    N17 Collooney to Tobercurry.
    N17 Tobercurry bypass.
    N17 Knock to Tobercurry.
    N17 Tuam to Claremorris.
    N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale.
    N21 Adare bypass.
    N22 Farranfore to Killarney.
    N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom.
    N22 Cork North Ring Road.
    N24 Pallasgreen to Bansha.
    N24 Ballysimon to Pallasgreen.
    N25 New Ross bypass.
    N25 Dungarvan bypass.
    N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton.
    N25 Cork Southern Ring road upgrade.
    N25 Waterford to Glenmore
    N26 Ballina/Bohola.
    N30 Clonroche to New Ross.
    NATIONAL SECONDARY ROADS
    N52 Kilbeggan to Tullamore.
    N52 Ardee bypass.
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties.
    N56 Mountcharles to Inver.
    N59 Clifden to Oughterard.
    N59 Moycullen bypass.
    N59 Westport to Mulranny.
    N62 Thurles bypass.
    N69 Listowel bypass.
    N71 Kenmare bypass.
    N81 Tallaght bypass to Hollywood Cross.
    N86 Tralee to Dingle.
    N87 Ballyconnell inner relief road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Talking about it on RnaG at the moment, just tuned in sounds like Pearse Doherty is on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Very few of these that are badly needed (maybe Slane but even then you can make argument on M1-N33-N2 for inter city traffic)

I guess the dream of N61 Athlone-Roscommon being upgraded to primary is about as useless as that yellow lemon shaped rock over there.

Any of these old roads accident blackspots? I dont see too many. Maybe this shelving is not THAT bad an idea (though of course i like a good road)

No wonder "Phiarais" is so animated. I see they've cancelled the new bridge over the River Finn to connect with the proposed A5 in Northern Ireland.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D60DBCEE-37EC-4EF4-A3D9-BBB1044D7751/0/N14.pdf

Perhaps we will hear a statement about the A5 from Leo next?

The N14 Lifford/Letterkenny is a 19km Dual carriageway which would also obviously hook into proposed A5
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/manorcunninghamstrabane.htm

Map of N15 scheme here (likewise hooks into A5): N15 Lifford - Stranorlar - Ballybofey
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/26A38A30-CEF3-4B59-9A5D-A39883E8FA9B/0/N15LiffordtoStranorlarSchemeLayout.pdf
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/liffordballybofey.htm

They weren't long getting Pat The Cope on after Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Good. The era of building giant roads for imagined settlements in the middle of nowhere is finally at an end, and the flagrant abuse of the national exchequer that entailed.

Hopefully essential projects (where people actually live) can be accomodated in due course.

Furthermore, lets hope the likes of the Tralee Bypass is the last time we see the country held to ransom by independent TDs with too much power and not enough sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dubhthach wrote: »
    No wonder "Phiarais" is so animated. I see they've cancelled the new bridge over the River Finn to connect with the proposed A5 in Northern Ireland.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D60DBCEE-37EC-4EF4-A3D9-BBB1044D7751/0/N14.pdf

Perhaps we will hear a statement about the A5 from Leo next?
    [/URL]
    probably not.
    Its a project that is not a department of transport funding matter.

Dept of the taoiseach is the responsible dept if I remember rightly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The N14/N15 to A5 Link is NOT on the list the Indo got. Leo obviously has to cancel his own roads first before he goes near the A5 project. The N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass mysteriously survived as well.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The N14/N15 to A5 Link is NOT on the list the Indo got.

Indeed I noticed that myself but both Pearse and Pat "the Cope" mentioned the Finn Bridge been cancelled in the interview I was listening to earlier -- either that or I really need to listen to more Donegal speakers more often. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

N81 Tallaght bypass to Hollywood Cross.

Bugger, that's one I hoped would get through, it can be a very heavily congested and the section after Tallaght is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Good. The era of building giant roads for imagined settlements in the middle of nowhere is finally at an end, and the flagrant abuse of the national exchequer that entailed.

Hopefully essential projects (where people actually live) can be accomodated in due course.

Furthermore, lets hope the likes of the Tralee Bypass is the last time we see the country held to ransom by independent TDs with too much power and not enough sense.

While I agree with the last paragraph, the rest is just pure anti-road / anti-car nonsense! In the whole scheme of things, the highest amount of money spent on roads for any one year was €2bn - pittance compared to Health (€20bn approx at peak) and Social Welfare (€20bn approx at peak) as well as other big spending departments such as education. The €2bn (peak) for roads included Road Building, Maintenance, Street Lighting, Footpaths, Traffic Calming and Safety Measures, Council Grants etc. I think motorway spending itself peaked at around €1bn!

IMO, the motorway system is great - got my driving test last January and love driving the motorways and the smaller country roads! We need the M11 A to R, N7 NLX, M18 and M20 including CNRR section.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

..... In the whole scheme of things, the highest amount of money spent on roads for any one year was €2bn - pittance compared to Health (€20bn approx at peak) and Social Welfare (€20bn approx at peak) as well as other big spending departments such as education.
    yup. 100%

Childrens allowance alone is 2.5 BILLION a year for example.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1005/1224280400882.html

Free travel is 600 million a year IIRC, which would nearly on its own build the M20.

Ireland is not poor because of building a few roads and other capital schemes.

Its running a chronic defecit by spending too much in day to day expenses without taking in enough cash to pay for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

We should be closing rural hospitals in sparsley populated towns and the money saved to build better/faster roads to reduce the time it takes to get to a major Hospital which will be better staffed etc. through economies of Scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

So presumably all the staff within the NRA whose job it was to progress these schemes will be let go? What will we be paying them to do now? And all the people in our Local Authority Roads Design Offices? If these projects were being managed privately, the announcement would be coupled with significant redundancies. God bless Croke Park eh? I would be more impressed if Leo announced that all these local design offices were to be amalgamated into (perhaps) 2 or 3 strong design offices (e.g. Dublin, Cork, Galway could easily cover the country). With so few projects, it could be entirely centralised to Dublin. That's where the real saving lie, current expenditure.

Also, the N22 Ballyvourney-Macroom scheme is through all stages of planning. Application and EIS are approved by An Bord Pleanala, CPO is approved by An Bord Pleanala. So really Leo is axing everything which hasn't started :mad:

The NRA staff who worked on these frequently expensive and vapourificatious projects are to be transferred ( on a large scale) to the new National Water Authority which will be set up formally in the Autumn.

Course if they refuse to go quietly per the Croke Park terms they will then be made redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bards wrote: »
    We should be closing rural hospitals in sparsley populated towns and the money saved to build better/faster roads to reduce the time it takes to get to a major Hospital which will be better staffed etc. through economies of Scale.

Try telling that to the people of Rockchapel (for instance) who are already over threequaters of an hour* from Mallow A&E and will be at least another 20 minutes getting to CUH (the other side of Cork city) when Mallow closes just to sit on a trolley in a corridor for hours (amid scum and drunks), and tieing up the Ambulance Crew who cant be released until the patient is accepted.

* more actually as it takes the Ambulance 20 minutes to get there from base in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Wonder how much money was spent on getting all these projects to planning stage and for most of them I'd say they won't happen for at least 10 years. I know the one closest to me, thurles bypass, is needed but not near essential and I thought it was madness even going to this stage with the current deficit. Should have been culled a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how much is being saved by scrapping these projects? its hardly surprising, the easy targets are going to be hammered, not like OAP etc would be cut before infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

corktina wrote: »
    Try telling that to the people of Rockchapel (for instance) who are already over threequaters of an hour* from Mallow A&E and will be at least another 20 minutes getting to CUH (the other side of Cork city) when Mallow closes just to sit on a trolley in a corridor for hours (amid scum and drunks), and tieing up the Ambulance Crew who cant be released until the patient is accepted.

* more actually as it takes the Ambulance 20 minutes to get there from base in the first place)

but isn't that my point. Build the M20, the M24 etc. to decrease the time it takes to get to a Major Hospital.

Same goes for other services that we are duplicating all over the country becasue of crappy infrastructure

Best argument for the Galway bypass too....seeing as the main hospital in the west is on the 'wrong side' for most of the population of Connacht.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The NRA staff who worked on these frequently expensive and vapourificatious projects are to be transferred ( on a large scale) to the new National Water Authority which will be set up formally in the Autumn.

Course if they refuse to go quietly per the Croke Park terms they will then be made redundant.
    Is this for real?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubhthach wrote: »
    The N14 Lifford/Letterkenny is a 19km Dual carriageway which would also obviously hook into proposed A5
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/manorcunninghamstrabane.htm

This is probably the worst quality N primary in a border area (where we've done a lot of mickey-waving since the 1990s) and badly needs *some* form of upgrade. Even removing a few bends and providing some potential overtaking opportunities would make Letterkenny safer and quicker to access from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    but isn't that my point. Build the M20, the M24 etc. to decrease the time it takes to get to a Major Hospital.

Same goes for other services that we are duplicating all over the country becasue of crappy infrastructure

The M20 wont go to CUH so how much time would be saved between mallow and Cork..not much as Ambulances on blues and twos would be flat out all the way now and even then, the A&Es in Cork are desperately over-loaded as it is with talk of Limerisck A&E closing at certain times with CUH taking that strain too.

the problem with your theory is that those small A&Es dont just cover the town they are in but also a huge hinterland and closing them in many cases will result in vastly extended times to get to A&E and people dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

The N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass mysteriously survived as well.

Whats mysterious about that? Because its on Enda Kennys drive home? After cutting the a&e its obvious he does not do favours for his neighbours in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass mysteriously survived as well.

Many reasons why it may happen.

After major motorways network completed the W/NW is the last region with poor access routes.

Better roads used as justification for removal of PSO air links and airport subsidies.

It's a serious bottleneck with a tight 90 degree turn in the centre of the town which can barely accommodate an artic lorry and has been the cause of several accidents.

The Mayo industrial group representing several of the major multinational employers in west have warned of job cuts if they lose projects due to the quality of the road transport.

The project is also one of the few 'shovel ready'. And I'd imagine they don't want to deliver any more bad news to Roscommon after the hospital closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Can somone clear this up for me this project
    the Cork n25 south ring road upgrade ???

Surely this isnt referring to the two new flyovers which were in all the news the last two months ?
    All the site cabins etc are on site now along with workers doing final prep work the last 3 weeks or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whats mysterious about that? Because its on Enda Kennys drive home? After cutting the a&e its obvious he does not do favours for his neighbours in Roscommon.

You've obviously never driven Westport - Longford. Absolutely shocking road. It's scandalous what's happening but that route needs improving

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've obviously never driven Westport - Longford. Absolutely shocking road. It's scandalous what's happening but that route needs improving

shocking except for the flynn expressway bits. We can see what kenny intends to emulate ;)

Can somone clear this up for me this project
    the Cork n25 south ring road upgrade ???

Surely this isnt referring to the two new flyovers which were in all the news the last two months ?
    All the site cabins etc are on site now along with workers doing final prep work the last 3 weeks or more.

i would think this refers to the proposed work at the Dunkettle intersection

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Ive driven it often, im from down that way. I asked why the poster said it was "mysterious" why that bypass was going ahead when its years overdue.

I believe this section of the N5 was neglected for years as Roscommon hasnt had a proper politician since Douglas Hyde yet a few miles over the border Padraig Flynn got the road to Castlebar fixed up when he was minister. Its at least 15 years since routes for the bypass were first drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Note the lack of the M20 in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

D.L.R. wrote:

While I agree with the last paragraph, the rest is just pure anti-road / anti-car nonsense! In the whole scheme of things, the highest amount of money spent on roads for any one year was €2bn - pittance compared to Health (€20bn approx at peak) and Social Welfare (€20bn approx at peak) as well as other big spending departments such as education. The €2bn (peak) for roads included Road Building, Maintenance, Street Lighting, Footpaths, Traffic Calming and Safety Measures, Council Grants etc. I think motorway spending itself peaked at around €1bn!

IMO, the motorway system is great - got my driving test last January and love driving the motorways and the smaller country roads! We need the M11 A to R, N7 NLX, M18 and M20 including CNRR section.

Regards!

I'm sure there was gross misuse of resources in other depts too, thats my point which you seem to have missed in your joyriding bloodrush! :pac:

Advertisement