Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I used to be with it

• 13-01-2018 7:30pm

But then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it and whats it seems weird and scary to me.

I think the first time I began to realise I wasn't with "it" anymore was the rise of Snapchat. People roughly my own age were using it but I just couldn't understand the appeal. After that I began to realise I wasn't quite as up to date on trends as I used to be and found myself to be out of the loop when it came to what the youth were into. I had become old.

So lads, when did "it" change for ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No Simpson's clip to go with it?
    You disappoint me OP.

Im sure simpson quotes are lost on the youth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Guards, when they started looking like fourteen year olds playing cops and robbers. Retired to my pipe and slippers then..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

But then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it and whats it seems weird and scary to me.

I think the first time I began to realise I wasn't with "it" anymore was the rise of Snapchat. People roughly my own age were using it but I just couldn't understand the appeal. After that I began to realise I wasn't quite as up to date on trends as I used to be and found myself to be out of the loop when it came to what the youth were into. I had become old.

So lads, when did "it" change for ye?

When I too realized I was on neither Snapchat nor Instagram. Like you I just don't see the appeal. I hardly even post on Facebook anymore.

I have no idea what the 'youth' are into either and have recently found myself having to ask my 20 year old brother what certain slang words he uses mean.

It's official - at 31 years of age I am an auld one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For me its motorbikes.

I've ridden bikes for the last 32 years and have had all makes, models and engine sizes.

I had a BMW a few years ago (1100cc), when it started giving trouble I went down size to a 650cc. I had that maybe two years and thought the smaller engine was boring and slow.

So I bought a Kawasaki Z1000 thinking I needed at least 1000cc to satisfy me ~ I've never been so nervous on a bike than this one, I've no confidence in my abilities on it and I just know its because I'm older now (52 in March), so I'm looking at downsizing to a 650 again.

Snapchat too, can't be arsed but I think facebook is great for keeping me in the loop (biking and martial arts).

Oh, I got lovely Karrimor sandals for Christmas ~ they're really comfortable with socks, but my daughter goes made if I try wear them outside [with socks].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Political Correctness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Snapchat you say? Is this where one converses with an alligator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When I should have been with it there was no it. It only came along after I was no longer eligible to be with it. Some of my grandchildren have been known to say I'm with it but they are just being kind and, anyway, their it wouldn't be the same as my it so, by default, I'm not with it.

When I went back to college at 35. I mentioned one day the Christmas Eve storm in 1997, and a classmate replied "Mam and dad still talk about that too."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A few years ago the media and everyone really was talking about Swedish House Mafia due to stabbings at their Phoenix Park concert

Tens of thousands of young ‘uns there

I never heard of this crowd before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

That Simpson's episode and that quote is kind of defunct now. When that episode and line came out, the internet was not in the shape it was today. Back then you were told and SOLD what was "it". With the internet, whatever is "it" for you can now always be "it" forever. All you have to do is ignore the "its" that aren't "it" for you.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

tis auld age i tell ya

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A few years ago the media and everyone really was talking about Swedish House Mafia due to stabbings at their Phoenix Park concert

I was at that gig... felt like an oul wan at it and telling current young wans about it now makes me feel positively decrepit

mikemac2 wrote: »

I drove through the throngs of drunken half dressed teens on my way to dinner before going to see Phantom Of The Opera at the bord gais - I remember thinking to myself ' that's it, I'm offically over the hill now'.

I was the only sober person in a 100 mile radius and was shaking my head in disgust at the state of them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I went back to college at 35. I mentioned one day the Christmas Eve storm in 1997, and a classmate replied "Mam and dad still talk about that too."

I nearly got blown away in that storm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When kids spend more time watching people play computer games on YouTube than actually playing said computer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Date of birth I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When I was reviewing CVs of people who were born after Italia 90.

Childer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I nearly got blown away in that storm!

and not in a good nudey type of sexual way

When I was reviewing CVs or people who were born after Italia 90.

Childer!

I've started doing Car Insurance quotes for people born between 1996 and 1999!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thinking that the kids born in the year 2000 will be 18 this year and can go to pub drinking/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

I don't get Snapchat, Instagram & selfies.
    Mainly selfies though. I'm 33 and have returned to education since September, it's my biggest pet peeve seeing all the younger gang just constantly posing for their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm in the same boat but upon closer inspection nothing relevant happens on instagram or twitter or the likes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I don't get Snapchat, Instagram & selfies.
    Mainly selfies though. I'm 33 and have returned to education since September, it's my biggest pet peeve seeing all the younger gang just constantly posing for their phones.

There is going to be a serious problem in 10 - 20 years when the selfie people can't/won't/don't want to take pictures anymore of the reality of their actual existence in time itself. You'll be glad you wern't "with it" when that $hit kicks off.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lads with skinny feminine legs wrapped in equally feminine tight trousers.

That was for me when I realised that it and me had separated.

Also social media outside of forums and messaging platforms have completely passed me by. Posting about myself in any tend is utterly alien to me.

(I note the unintentional irony)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I’ve always felt that those that weren’t completely “with it”, often fared better than those who were.

Step outside social norms and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I was never with "it". Wherever "it" is, go the other way. I hated nightclubs as a 17- and 18-year-old. Never liked the noise of pubs even at that age. I like pubs when you can sit in the corner and have a great chat with a friend without some roaring amadán putting on Sky Sports or loud music to drown out the peace and happiness you derive from a good conversation. Quietness and quality conversation have never been a cool trend, apparently. Noise everywhere - what is everybody afraid of!

Yours, eternally uncooly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Scary strong bit of deja vu going on here.Have I read the opening paragraph before or is it just me.Feckin hell.

Anyway my 7 year old daughter put me in my box last week when she said I should stop wearing tight tops. My wife asked her why and she said only daddies with hair wear tight tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nobody should wear tight tops.

Except the ladies of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think the first time I began to realise I wasn't with "it" anymore was the rise of Snapchat. People roughly my own age were using it but I just couldn't understand the appeal.

But how do you not understand the appeal of a selfie with a doggy ear filter on it? It's the future... but now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was at that gig... felt like an oul wan at it and telling current young wans about it now makes me feel positively decrepit

How many did you stab?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Two little scrotes came up to me last week and said ‘mister have you got a light?’
    I proceeded to try tell them in a big brother friendly kinda way lads you’re too young to be smoking and I caught myself just as they did

Officially no longer with it. Probably happened ages ago and I didn’t even realise
    They called me mister ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Over on the beautiful women trend, i havent heard of half of them.

Some of them are referred to as instagrammers, which seems to be a euphemism for pointing your arse at yourself in the mirror, and taking a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve never bothered even trying to understand what “it” was, didn’t make me part of the popular crowd at school, but then i see some of those now that life has moved past them and they are fairly lost looking.
    I’m just plodding among living my own life not caring about “it” or any shiite like that.

People spend far too much time worrying about measuring their self worth against some social standard when they just need to get on and live their lives in a way that makes them happy themselves. Facebook has built a mega corporation on this one shallow fact of life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Omackeral wrote: »
    How many did you stab?

I forget, was so mad ouvit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Local, personal level, when my younger brother told me "Spud got into the mont" like I should know what the **** he was on about. (Edit: His friend Patrick "Spud" Killehan got into the Claremont Hotel despite being underage.)

More generally, I dunno. Some point between when I gave up arguing with people why Marvel movies were shíte and Snapchat becoming a thing. Oh and seeing "Lol remember this old retro stuff" listicles about the mid 2000s :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It! that word I cannot say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I used to drive a moped around Dublin city centre (20+ years ago when chung fellas sold newspapers at traffic lights). The chung fellas used to say “herald or press young wan” then they started substituting “missus” for “chung wan” and it was all over for me

splinter65 wrote: »
    I used to drive a moped around Dublin city centre (20+ years ago when chung fellas sold newspapers at traffic lights). The chung fellas used to say “herald or press young wan” then they started substituting “missus” for “chung wan” and it was all over for me

It might have been on here or somewhere else, but I heard or read a woman telling the story of when she got a flat tyre and had no spare. Stranded on the side of the road and a young man in his early twenties stopped and helped her and when she thanked him he said "Oh it's no problem, I'd like to think someone would do the same for my mother" :pac:

Omackeral wrote: »
    But how do you not understand the appeal of a selfie with a doggy ear filter on it? It's the future... but now.

Back in my day, Snapchat didn't have filters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thinking that the kids born in the year 2000 will be 18 this year and can go to pub drinking/etc.

In that case I guess we're due for the next 'generation label' as Millenials were born from 1982-2000. Time for the millennials to give out about the ...post...lennials?... ruining the world. Being born in 1986 I've been feckin' waiting for this for a while now!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    In that case I guess we're due for the next 'generation label' as Millenials were born from 1982-2000. Time for the millennials to give out about the ...post...lennials?... ruining the world. Being born in 1986 I've been feckin' waiting for this for a while now!! :pac:

Oh god can you imagine the name feckin millennials will come up with though. It's going to actually be an emoji not a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When people started referring to these things as either headphones or earbuds.

614Z8gi9YIL._SY355_.jpg

Headphones are speaker-like things you place on your head and if they're any good they stay there. The things in the picture above are earphones and fall out every few minutes and sound like absolute shite. Earbuds sounds like you're talking about a cotton bud you're going to use to scrape wax from your ears with. And fuck off calling earphones 'in ear headphones'. If they don't have a band that attaches them to your head they're not headphones.

Another thing I don't get is using headphones as a fashion statement. There was a thread here a while back about how Beats headphones used to be great but then everyone started wearing them. Who gives a shit? Headphones are for listening to music through, not for other people to look at. If looks are really that important to you, most people aren't looking at you thinking how cool you look. They think you look like a fucking clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When I told my nine year old to go into the sitting room and put on a video..
    The look of confusion spoke volumes...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I was never with it, even when I should have been. So it's really nothing to worry about now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I used to be ' with it'. Only now i cant remember what 'it' was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Last year for me. I teach some modules on a Plc Music course. Last year was the first time I ever came across an aspiring ‘professional musician’ who had never heard of the Beatles, and who had never paid for music. Not a cd. Not a streaming subscription. Not even a download of a single track.

Wonder where she was going to get paid from in her ‘professional musician’ career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I want to be like Clint Eastwood in gran Torino, sitting out on the porch with a few cans scowling at the young wans but as this is Ireland I don't have a porch and anyway the weather is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I want to be like Clint Eastwood in gran Torino, sitting out on the porch with a few cans scowling at the young wans but as this is Ireland I don't have a porch and anyway the weather is ****.

Jesus, the snowflakes would have a stroke if you scowled at young wans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Jesus, the snowflakes would have a stroke if you scowled at young wans!

In fact they’ve probably had a stroke because I mentioned Jesus in a post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement