Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Luas, Now the Sunday Business Post Goes to War on the Metro

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

T21fan - the DPT was not designed to go under major roads as it's a direct route. The metro as I understand it will largely go under the road allowance and thus the requirement for tunnelling directly under private property will only fall on a small minority of the route where sharp curves exceed the turning radius of the vehicles.

Personally I'd like to see the City-Airport-Swords metro planned to extend to the Dublin-Belfast line (a future extension, as Swords-Balbriggan development continues) to give Newry, Drogheda, Dundalk etc. an easy access to the airport without going into town and back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This Spanish gentleman who is well qualified and has the credentials which deserve respect, is I suspect being brought in once again, as an unknowing pawn in order to undermine the Dublin Metro and to "prove" the RPA are idiots.

No doubt we'll get more insight into how they did it cheaper in Madrid - but unlike Dublin the people there not owning the land underneath their feet to the centre of the earth is not the major issue and fact of life that it is here. In Madrid, they just tunnel, in Dublin we have to pay the people fortunate enough living above before we can tunnel.

They also paid cheaper rates, but main advantage was gained in 24 hour tunnelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Once again I have to say it. If we want world class motorways, metros, railways and bridges in this country we are going to have to spend, spend, spend. This is a fact of life we cannot escape. The "on time and under budget" CIE approach has been proven to deliver nothing real in terms of major improvments (other than major apartment blocks) and at best only plays catch-up for a sort time.

Serious infrastructure costs serious money.

I think you are totally misunderstanding the concept of what bringing a project in on time and budget actually means. It simply means that the budget and timescale allocated to a particular project should be delivered to programme and within budget. It is the basic tenet of Project Management irrespective if the project costs €100k or €100bn

I am certainly not disputing the fact that serious infrastructure costs serious money. I am saying we should not give contractors or agencies a blank cheque and blank timescales to deliver outside of programme and budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

I am certainly not disputing the fact that serious infrastructure costs serious money. I am saying we should not give contractors or agencies a blank cheque and blank timescales to deliver outside of programme and budget.

No argument form me there. But I think it has to got to the point were projects such as the Dublin Metro are getting screwed out of their full potential by this fear of spending the big bucks to get the proper infrastructure. We have go too far now and projects which need the serious money are not getting them.

If people want to talk about waste and bad value for public money, look no further than what CIE did with Spencer Dock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Transport21 Fan, again, just for you...

Do you have “proof” (as you say) that Irish Rail or even CIE spend more in advertisements relative to their networks sizes compared to the RPA?

Do you also have proof that the have spent comparably more on adverts in the SBPost and the Indo, then any other paper?

Is it ‘not willing’ or ‘not able’ to answer my questions in regards to the Post’s hacks and their public transport usage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement