Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lidl had a half price merlot over the weekend dunno if any stock left.
    I havent seen any general price cuts.

The problem with supermarket wine prices is that, apart from the established brands, they are so phony.

Supermarkets - yeah, I'm talking to you, Tesco - will double the price of some plonk, stick a few bottles in the back of an upper shelf for the necessary couple of months and then put cases of the stuff back in full view at the ordinary price but proclaim it is half-off offer. I think I can safely say that all "half-price" wine offers are phony. The problem now is that they have done away with genuine offers e.g. Tesco's 25% off with any six bottles.

We had a general election less than a year ago. Did anyone vote for this? I read a lot of election literature but this must have been in the fine print :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Caquas wrote: »
    The problem with supermarket wine prices is that, apart from the established brands, they are so phony.
    Supermarkets - yeah, I'm talking to you, Tesco - will double the price of some plonk, stick a few bottles in the back of an upper shelf for the necessary couple of months and then put cases of the stuff back in full view at the ordinary price but proclaim it is half-off offer. I think I can safely say that all "half-price" wine offers are phony. The problem now is that they have done away with genuine offers e.g. Tesco's 25% off with any six bottles.
    We had a general election less than a year ago. Did anyone vote for this? I read a lot of election literature but this must have been in the fine print :mad:

There is a pattern in Tesco with bottles like that which are in a cycle of half price discounts and the discount price is its real rrp.

But the LIDL one you arent going to see that half price on a similar cycle I think and its real rrp is 8-9 euros.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

elperello wrote: »
    January is not great for deals.

Your best bet is something like this which is kind of like a booze deal all year round.

https://www.aldi.ie/toro-loco-superior/p/040728020610200

That is a lovely, lovely wine !
    Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Caquas wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a genuine wine offer since they brought in the new regulations?

I thought the supermarkets would simply cut their wine prices now that they can't do multibuy offers and people can't use their points but I have seen no genuine price cuts in their wine sections over the past three weeks.

All the recent posts here seem to be about beer so I'm switching!

I was in Tesco last week and there were basically no offers on wines, I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 bottles reduced, and they were only reduced by a euro or two. Depressing stuff. Ended up buying two bottles for 15 euro each (19 Crimes and Apothic Dark) which I was getting for half that before Christmas :(

They had the usual ones that are always on offer: e.g. Casillero del Diablo for €8, but I wouldn't count that as a special offer :mad:

Ended up being in Supervalu the following day and noticed some reasonable offers on Wine; the 19 Crimes that I paid 15 euro for in Tesco was 10. They also had one of the Faustino's (think it was Faustino I) reduced from 18 to 12. Seemed to be a lot more offers in Supervalu, at least for wine last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Has anyone seen the DUNDALGAN 10 Year Old Single Malt Whiskey in Lidl?

Every Lidl I've looked in has the IPA Edition, Sherry Edition and Stout Edition (no Charred Cask either btw)

Just wondering if the 10 Year Old Single Malt is limited edition or just not in the Lidls in my area.

Has anyone tried these by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I was in Tesco last week and there were basically no offers on wines, I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 bottles reduced, and they were only reduced by a euro or two. Depressing stuff. Ended up buying two bottles for 15 euro each (19 Crimes and Apothic Dark) which I was getting for half that before Christmas :(

They had the usual ones that are always on offer: e.g. Casillero del Diablo for €8, but I wouldn't count that as a special offer :mad:

Ended up being in Supervalu the following day and noticed some reasonable offers on Wine; the 19 Crimes that I paid 15 euro for in Tesco was 10. They also had one of the Faustino's (think it was Faustino I) reduced from 18 to 12. Seemed to be a lot more offers in Supervalu, at least for wine last week.

was just coming on here to post about this. I was in Supervalu and Dunnes and neither had any decent offers at all on wine. I cant justify paying €15 for a bottle I knooow is generally 9 or 10...So I left and went to Aldi and got the reliable verrry drinkable cotes De Rhone which is only €7.86 or something and better than the offerings in the other stores. Also the Lidl French malbec (orange lid) is really good wIne and again less than €8. Ill be sticking to these unless some majorly good offers come up...
    And as a ps: if you are going to spend €15 then just go to O Briens Id say. Again at the wend I went in and picked up 2 nice reds for €14 each which are way better quality than the reds in Tesco, Dunnes etc.
    Sorry rant over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Reading the past few posts,I bought a bottle of gin in Lidl and a liter of tonic. €14 all in. Just as nice as gin from dunnes/s.value. at multiples of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

snowgal wrote: »
    was just coming on here to post about this. I was in Supervalu and Dunnes and neither had any decent offers at all on wine. I cant justify paying €15 for a bottle I knooow is generally 9 or 10...So I left and went to Aldi and got the reliable verrry drinkable cotes De Rhone which is only €7.86 or something and better than the offerings in the other stores. Also the Lidl French malbec (orange lid) is really good wIne and again less than €8. Ill be sticking to these unless some majorly good offers come up...
    And as a ps: if you are going to spend €15 then just go to O Briens Id say. Again at the wend I went in and picked up 2 nice reds for €14 each which are way better quality than the reds in Tesco, Dunnes etc.
    Sorry rant over! :D

have to agree, I always find the selection of wines is much better in off licence, Super Value is probably the best of the supermarkets, Tesco can have some decent stuff but Dunnes is the worst. I really only used to buy them places for the deals. Now they are gone, it will be the local off licence where I will head to in future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

January is not great for deals.

Your best bet is something like this which is kind of like a booze deal all year round.

https://www.aldi.ie/toro-loco-superior/p/040728020610200

Thanks for this, very nice wine it is too. I'm very disappointed about the lack of supermarket reaction to the minimum pricing. I genuinely thought they would compensate for the ban on multi deals by reducing prices. I often buy craft beers on line for my husband. The site I use has switched from '4 for €10' to ' check out our €2.50 range. Happy days. Why haven't the supermarkets done the same.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks for this, very nice wine it is too. I'm very disappointed about the lack of supermarket reaction to the minimum pricing. I genuinely thought they would compensate for the ban on multi deals by reducing prices. I often buy craft beers on line for my husband. The site I use has switched from '4 for €10' to ' check out our €2.50 range. Happy days. Why haven't the supermarkets done the same.:(

You're welcome.

Just to note, the current hiatus in pricing is not caused by minimum unit pricing (MUP).

It is part of the implementation of the Public Health Alcohol Bill.

MUP will eventually follow.

You can get craft beers for less than €2 in Lidl and Aldi.

They may not be to your husbands taste but are worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

You can get craft beers for less than €2 in Lidl and Aldi.

They may not be to your husbands taste but are worth a try.

The €1.79 - €1.96 priced Aldi and Lidl craft beers are supplied by well known Irish brewers :

Aldi's O'Shea's range are supplied by Carlow Brewery (O'Hara's etc)

Lidl's Crafty range are supplied by Rye River Brewery in Celbridge (Rye River / McGargles etc)

Tesco Solas range are Rye River too

For the most part they are pretty good beers for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

He'd be delighted with whatever I buy him :D
    I'll pick up some Aldi beers when I'm in getting the wine.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Smurts

Lidl's crafty stout is top notch, well recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

RayCon wrote: »
    The €1.79 - €1.96 priced Aldi and Lidl craft beers are supplied by well known Irish brewers :

Aldi's O'Shea's range are supplied by Carlow Brewery (O'Hara's etc)

Lidl's Crafty range are supplied by Rye River Brewery in Celbridge (Rye River / McGargles etc)

Tesco Solas range are Rye River too

For the most part they are pretty good beers for the price.

Grafters range in Dunnes is also from Rye River

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There is a pattern in Tesco with bottles like that which are in a cycle of half price discounts and the discount price is its real rrp.

But the LIDL one you arent going to see that half price on a similar cycle I think and its real rrp is 8-9 euros.

There are real offers in Tesco. Faustino V is a tenner and I think usually 14 or so. Well worth 14 compared to a lot of others and brilliant value at 10.

https://secure.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258014197

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mimon wrote: »
    There are real offers in Tesco. Faustino V is a tenner and I think usually 14 or so. Well worth 14 compared to a lot of others and brilliant value at 10.
    https://secure.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258014197

Yep that's a lovely wine, strange that they don't flag it as an offer with a yellow sticker... am sure the price goes up and down. It was €10 before christmas iirc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Smurts wrote: »
    Lidl's crafty stout is top notch, well recommended

The stout and the IPA are the best of the Crafty range. Both top class, to my taste buds anyway.

The (English brewed) Twisted Knots IPA at €1.29 is very drinkable too and good value as well. Not gone on the other two cans in that range, the orange one is very orangey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Not gone on the other two cans in that range, the orange one is very orangey.

I'm a fan of Brewdog Clockwork Orange so might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Not to everyone’s taste, but just got slabs of Bud in my local SuperValu for €25! Not sure if it’s everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

93Cab wrote: »
    Not to everyone’s taste, but just got slabs of Bud in my local SuperValu for €25! Not sure if it’s everywhere!

can't give that bud away worst drink i ever tasted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I noticed Lidl have a kick start program for launching Irish products. Few new beers on the list. No idea what they are like but happy to try them.

Bin Bawn pale ale and red ale. €2.99 for 500ml bottles.

12 acres cans 440ml for €2.79. session ale and India pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I noticed Lidl have a kick start program for launching Irish products. Few new beers on the list. No idea what they are like but happy to try them.

They are ballykilcavan...a brewery in stradbally in laois. Very good beers.
    Look out for a range coming from the 4 provinces brewery in kimmage....another excellent brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The stout and the IPA are the best of the Crafty range. Both top class, to my taste buds anyway.

The (English brewed) Twisted Knots IPA at €1.29 is very drinkable too and good value as well. Not gone on the other two cans in that range, the orange one is very orangey.

The Belgian saison is lovely aswell from crafty brewing company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

can't give that bud away worst drink i ever tasted :(

Even at €25 it’s still a great deal. For me. Not for you, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

12 acres is out a good while. Good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lidl have 40% off their premium Chardonnay this weekend. €4.71 a bottle is an amazing price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

carlsberg 12 x 500ml cans or 20 x 300ml bottles €16 in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rather than hitting people with what is essentially another tax- just put a bit more money into support services for people who are dependent on alcohol.

It's worse than a tax, it just goes into the pockets of retailers, distributors and (big) brewers

If they invested in proper mental health services then we'd have a lot fewer people self-medicating with alcohol or whatever else they can get their hands on

Bargain: Duff Beer 4.9% 500mL €1.39 in Lidl
    This is actually a very decent German lager.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At those prices no way is either of them a bargain, no matter how good they might be (never heard of the first lot and most reports on the second appear to be meh)

mfceiling wrote: »
    They are ballykilcavan...a brewery in stradbally in laois. Very good beers.

I got some Ballykilcavans under their own name a couple of months ago, they were utterly rank

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

At those prices no way is either of them a bargain, no matter how good they might be (never heard of the first lot and most reports on the second appear to be meh)

I got some Ballykilcavans under their own name a couple of months ago, they were utterly rank

I don't think the beers are on sale as bargains to be fair?

Do you know which beers you had that were rank? Different styles of beer can be disastrous if you don't like that style, regardless of the brewery.

Advertisement