Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

No sign of any cabinets in Clontarf, Dublin yet:(

It could be worse... they could have completed a cabinet less than 200 metres from your house A YEAR AGO, right where you can see it looking out from your window... and then not sell it.

look, but don't touch! sitting here with crappy 1.7 meg d/l. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Loughshinny is part of the Skerries exch area ,the majority of Skerries is done and awaiting cab install's , apart from job's that need civil's done , Rush and lusk are well advanced also .Most of the cab's have fibre waiting now, ready to go , as soon as the contractor's do the install .First cab plint being put in Rush main st today by K+N .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Clontarf is a 2014 target, after Sutton and Whitehall and Coolock are finished.

I wonder how they decide which areas to commence in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

No sign of any cabinets in Clontarf, Dublin yet:(
    Yeah on my way to work,
    on the Marlborough Road/Herbert Park road
    I noticed 3 cabinets all with "planning applications for the erection of new cabinet nearby"

For Ranelagh, the planning permission was here

For Donnybrook, the planning permission was here

For Ballsbridge, the planning permission was here

If we are only at the planning permission stage.....who knows when they will go live in this part of Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

We have had some marked in villages in N Dublin and E Meath. Have you seen any in Skerries itself in which exchange area Loughshinny is??? It is described as:

"on the left , at the end of the wall ,before entrance to loughshinny bay est"

would it be down here instead if so move the marker along and edit the description for us, ta. ???

Click >>> http://goo.gl/maps/9BHFq

I drove down that road in loughshinny all the way to the harbour and this only one I could see is the box in your link. Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

Does anyone know when they will go live in Rush? Will be months after the cabinet is installed or weeks?

First cab plint being put in Rush main st today by K+N .
    I got very excited when I saw that today:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yeah on my way to work,
    on the Marlborough Road/Herbert Park road
    I noticed 3 cabinets all with "planning applications for the erection of new cabinet nearby

If we are only at the planning permission stage.....who knows when they will go live in this part of Dublin...

One Rathmines due end 2013 and 2 Beggars Bush due last month. maybe they are having problems with the planners, these should have gone through long ago ....certainly Beggars Bush in 2012.

The Nutley exchange between Donnybrook and Sillorgan should be complete too. Only a tad of that north of the Dodder. Small exchange in Clonskeagh covering mainly new apartment blocks not done either and not due till next year.

Does anyone know when they will go live in Rush? Will be months after the cabinet is installed or weeks?

I think the bigger question is when will they go live in general. They've completed a lot of areas so far but are waiting for a big launch.
    Last date I heard on the grapevine was "Sometime in April"..... Anyone know any different?

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

Yes. I dunno who put the marker in, that is what can happens when one crowdsources. I'll remove it so.

It may be planned and if so something should appear soon and you can PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I drove down that road in loughshinny all the way to the harbour and this only one I could see is the box in your link. Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

That's just a normal distribution cabinet. There's nothing in that other than connector blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mickalus wrote: »
    I think the bigger question is when will they go live in general. They've completed a lot of areas so far but are waiting for a big launch.
    Last date I heard on the grapevine was "Sometime in April"..... Anyone know any different?

MAY 20TH at the earliest. Comreg will not allow launch before this date.

MAY 20TH at the earliest. Comreg will not allow launch before this date.

Balls! do you know why that is?

Balls! do you know why that is?

The other operators wanted time to make sure their networks, sales and other IT systems are working correctly with this new wholesale product as otherwise they think it will give eircom retail an unfair advantage

Solair wrote: »
    The other operators wanted time to make sure their networks, sales and other IT systems are working correctly with this new wholesale product as otherwise they think it will give eircom retail an unfair advantage

OK, that makes sense. Cheers.

You'd think they'd have had enough time at this stage :D

• Advertisement

You'd think they'd have had enough time at this stage :D

eircoms systems and procedures were not ready for prime time is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I see one up on the same side as the IPA (Landsdowne Road) where it had the planning app. Maybe that and Beggars Bush are all delayed. :S

53.33386,-6.231826

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

seen another one on the banduff road (near the north ring road cork). Seem to be popping up in the north cork area a lot now. None near glanmire or further east where I need them :)

Apologies to all those looking for updates and only finding updates to "where's the cab" (perhaps this stuff should be put on a seperate thread).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ian82

IMG_4103-001.JPG

should answer a few questions :)

ian82 wrote: »
    IMG_4103-001.JPG

I'll still be "queueing for internet connection" where I am. What eejit in eircom marketing allowed this ad to get to print, "real life simpler" me arse. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

[MOD]
    Can folks please post all future mapping related posts in this new thread created specifically for mapping by Sponge Bob and which I have stickied here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Please keep this thread for posts about the launch date, product details, etc.

Thanks Sponge Bob and everyone else who has participated in the mapping, a great effort.
    [MOD]

I'll still be "queueing for internet connection" where I am. What eejit in eircom marketing allowed this ad to get to print, "real life simpler" me arse. :D

Queuing for the internet? That doesn't even make any sense...

I'd rather they showed something like a Smart TV or Skype pixelating and freezing on regular broadband or VoIP choking up.
    Or a software update for your PS3 taking 2 hours :D

They're really not getting the concept of bandwidth across at all!
    Queuing for the internet would imply that you've on PC in the house and no WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone hear anything back from the efibre site after they regsitered their interest.

ian82 wrote: »
    IMG_4103-001.JPG

Shooting themselves in the foot with that one, basically saying what customers have right now is rubbish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Shooting themselves in the foot with that one, basically saying what customers have right now is rubbish...

when it comes to your area. i.e. most people with ****ty broadband in Ireland will be waiting years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

When they say "On may 20th homes all over Ireland will begin to change for the better thanks to efiber"
    Does that mean, that everyone/every address is gonna have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    When they say "On may 20th homes all over Ireland will begin to change for the better thanks to efiber"
    Does that mean, that everyone/every address is gonna have it?

god no...only the major urban exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

bealtine wrote: »
    god no...only the major urban exchanges

Well, then there goes my f***ing hope... I guess i'm stuck with the ****ty 8mb package for the rest of my life :(

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Well, then there goes my f***ing hope... I guess i'm stuck with the ****ty 8mb package for the rest of my life :(

There was a map of the various areas to be "enabled" posted way back in the thread, at some stage soon the mapping project will be available (publicly) which will show in which areas this VDSL program is available.

This efibre stuff is just marketing crap and utter nonsense

If you are on up to 8mbits ONLY that means you probaly have no NGB either.

If you have no NGB by now you will not normally get VDSL although there are a few exceptions where very small Non NGB exchanges are going straight to VDSL and bypassing NGB in Ennis, Dublin, Tralee, Cork and Arklow.

• Advertisement

If you are on up to 8mbits ONLY that means you probaly have no NGB either.

If you have no NGB by now you will not normally get VDSL although there are a few exceptions where very small Non NGB exchanges are going straight to VDSL and bypassing NGB in Ennis, Dublin, Tralee, Cork and Arklow.

What about people who aren't even on NGB yet and the government want everyone to be on a minimum of 30mpbs no matter where you are in the country by whatever year it is. whats the story with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Nolars wrote: »
    What about people who aren't even on NGB yet and the government want everyone to be on a minimum of 30mpbs no matter where you are in the country by whatever year it is. whats the story with that?

Fixed Wireless / Satellite / 4G I presume will be the way everyone will get 30mpbs .

The story with that is that Rabbitte is waiting for a hail mary pass from the (so far) rather quiet ESB fibre rollout plan (to be announced in the Autumn I would say) and which will see the ESB fibre up some homes in smaller towns and villages that will not get VDSL or UPC cable.

Those who can neither get VDSL or ESB FTTP or UPC will be the households to be covered by the second NBS.

The Department of Communications has no competent staff, they had to use interns to 'design' the NBS from what I remember so don't expect much of Rabbitte. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MikeSat

With Eircoms new fiber system will our home phone hand sets work with a fiber connection.?

MikeSat wrote: »
    With Eircoms new fiber system will our home phone hand sets work with a fiber connection.?

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

The modem is like the one's BT use for infinity and the engineer can run a cable to wherever you want the modem to be. (included in the free installation as far as I'm aware)

However, fibre eliminates the need for a landline and I reckon in a few years it will all be VOIP.

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

The modem is like the one's BT use for infinity and the engineer can run a cable to wherever you want the modem to be. (included in the free installation as far as I'm aware)

However, fibre eliminates the need for a landline and I reckon in a few years it will all be VOIP.

We've got two handsets - regular and VOIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

hi,

i see a nearby exchange from me (monaghan town - probably the post office) is being upgrade or is upgraded. What kind of new services will be on offer ? Will other companies (like Sky) have access to the new exchange ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    hi,

i see a nearby exchange from me (monaghan town - probably the post office) is being upgrade or is upgraded. What kind of new services will be on offer ? Will other companies (like Sky) have access to the new exchange ?

Yes, they will.
    Mostly just much faster broadband and possibly IPTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - but is there a link to the packages that will be offered? I'd like to know what the upload speed are going to be like.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Yes, they will.
    Mostly just much faster broadband and possibly IPTV

I will look forward to that. In the mean time if they could sort out congestion I would be happy with current speeds.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I will look forward to that. In the mean time if they could sort out congestion I would be happy with current speeds.

If you're suffering from congestion, you could be either on a really bad package with very high contention, or you're in an area that doesn't have a connection to the "next generation network" (NGN) backbone yet.

If it's being upgraded to fibre access, your local exchange would typically be on NGN already. The only exceptions would be some tiny exchanges (e.g. ones based in cabinets themselves) that were never plugged into decent backhaul even though the rest of the area is.

Even if you're not going to fibre straight away, you should probably look at being upgraded to an NGN package or switching to another ISP that offers something similar, most of them do.

Um there's no fibre going to the home, except in some very small geographic areas, it's still copper from the cabinet to the home(FTTC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The story with that is that Rabbitte is waiting for a hail mary pass from the (so far) rather quiet ESB fibre rollout plan (to be announced in the Autumn I would say) and which will see the ESB fibre up some homes in smaller towns and villages that will not get VDSL or UPC cable.

Those who can neither get VDSL or ESB FTTP or UPC will be the households to be covered by the second NBS.

The Department of Communications has no competent staff, they had to use interns to 'design' the NBS from what I remember so don't expect much of Rabbitte. :(
    So, just to confirm this...the ESB's fibre rollout will be covering homes that do not currently have a DSL or fibre connection in country/village areas?

So, just to confirm this...the ESB's fibre rollout will be covering homes that do not currently have a DSL or fibre connection in country/village areas?

If you take small towns like Athenry or Mountmellick or Nenagh they will probably show up in places like those. As for more rural areas and a crossroads of a village with one pub and one shop and a 2 teacher school, I dunno, honestly.

They probably won't show up where both of UPC and eircom VDSL both launch anyway. We will know a lot more when we know who they have selected for final Joint Venture negotiations, which information should slip out in the next few months.

The ESB network will not be very extensive, no more than 1 in 4 homes I would estimate based on the outline finance numbers they published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I live in co. Meath and I'm with digiweb, my Internet breaks whenever the landline phone rings. It also is very inconsistent as when I'm playing cod I'm either on a 3 bar or a 1 bar and it keeps going up an down. I hate it.

• Advertisement

If you take small towns like Athenry or Mountmellick or Nenagh they will probably show up in places like those. As for more rural areas and a crossroads of a village with one pub and one shop and a 2 teacher school, I dunno, honestly.

They probably won't show up where both of UPC and eircom VDSL both launch anyway. We will know a lot more when we know who they have selected for final Joint Venture negotiations, which information should slip out in the next few months.

The ESB network will not be very extensive, no more than 1 in 4 homes I would estimate based on the outline finance numbers they published.

Do you know what the story is with primary schools and secondary schools are sponge, as the the government want to provide 100mbs to all of them in the next year or so? i live next to both a primary school and secondary school and am just hoping they will upgrade my area.

It's just a central splitter / filter on the master socket.

Eircom already install a very similar device for DSL when there's an engineer install. For example, phonewatch alarm installations.

It's all still just DSL, just a faster version.

There's still a copper telephone line coming into your house exactly as its always been.

It's not fibre in the sense of fibre to the home,

BT (and plenty of others) will try to dress VDSL up as fibre in the marketing and presentation of the product. It's still a copper product.

It's more fibre closer to your home and dramatically better than ADSL but its still copper!

It's just a central splitter / filter on the master socket.

Eircom already install a very similar device for DSL when there's an engineer install. For example, phonewatch alarm installations.

It's all still just DSL, just a faster version.

There's still a copper telephone line coming into your house exactly as its always been.

It's not fibre in the sense of fibre to the home,

BT (and plenty of others) will try to dress VDSL up as fibre in the marketing and presentation of the product. It's still a copper product.

So when the Eircom engineer comes to the house, are they just installing a new router or...anything extra? A faceplate for those who don't have one?

red_bairn wrote: »
    So when the Eircom engineer comes to the house, are they just installing a new router or...anything extra? A faceplate for those who don't have one?

Yup, basically that's all they'll do.
    That's all BT are doing too unless you're actually getting fibre installed into your home, which is only a very small % of installations in the UK, it's still mostly VDSL for "infinity"

Eircom's responsibility ends at the NTU (network termination unit) or "master socket" in BT language.

The only difference to ADSL is that you normally must use the modem they supply. You can use whatever wifi routers etc that you like though.

The modem has to be compatible with the vectoring (active crosstalk management) system they use.

i live next to both a primary school and secondary school and am just hoping they will upgrade my area.

Secondary only. The problem with these is that many connections to secondary schools are point to point wireless 155mbit STM-1 from Airspeed or similar and their prices would give you a heart attack. Once the links are installed and provisioning 100mbits to the school itself there is only 55mbits 'spare' on that link at that point anyway. :)

eircom are not really in the game on this project but theoretically it may drive some extra fibre and NGB deployments over the next year in order that they may offer Ethernet over fibre product to schools.

In that case a rural community would get better backhaul for their ADSL which could make a substantial difference. There are areas in Ireland wher ethe secondary school has 3x the bandwidth of the entire parish such is the utter crapness of much of eircoms backhaul. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement