Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Options
  • 22-04-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭

The citizens assembly voted to replace or amend the 8th amendment.

50% voted to replace or amend
    44% voted to repeal
    Rest preferred to not state an opinion

Now deciding how it will be replaced or amended
    : Let the Dail legislate on the rights of the unborn
    : Amend the provision in the constitution.

Meltdown on twitter by Repealthe8th people.

Mod- This thread has descended in to petty name calling. We've tried to let this thread run without too much mod interference but now it's on our radar we will be watching. From here on the name calling stops. If you can't debate civilly we will remove your right to post.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

RobertKK wrote: »

44% voted to repeal

Referendum on the way, get out the popcorn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But all the repeal gear, Unal Mullally's repeal the 8th book, the t-shirts, etc will have to be replaced or amended too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

U sure? I thought there would only be a referendum if the repeal option won? Which it obviously didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Both require a referendum so what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

There was me thinking the Dail was our citizens assembly. After all we did vote for them.
    More great politics from our elected leaders. Put this decision on someone else to vote for it. Then they can't accept any of the blame for outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

If all they get is an amendment regards fatal fetal abnormality, which I could accept, it would demolish the pro-abortion repeal crowds favorite stalking horse, I'd be delighted if they had to make their argument without pushing hard cases that make bad law and attempting to strawman abortion in through the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Two people preferred to not state their opinion, so what's the point of them being part of the assembly? Like people who vote "I don't know" on opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

But all the repeal gear, Unal Mullally's repeal the 8th book, the t-shirts, etc will have to be replaced or amended too...

Ha ha, I see what you did there. Well done.

popcorn?! get out the suitcase you mean. I feel like this campaign has been rehashed my whole life (wait...it has been rehashed my whole life).

I feel like tuning out of the Irish media for the next 12 months or so. Better subscribe to Netflix now I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

44% voted to repeal

C-BYlaLXUAAU9pG.jpg:large
    Option 1 in the next ballot would effectively have the exact same effect as repeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I believe that any vote to repeal it will be defeated. It's like the first time Obama was going for President. When people were polled they said they'd vote for him cause they didn't want to appear racist. If the polls were true he should have won by another 15-18 points.

Same with abortion here. If your against it you keep your mouth shut cause you just get shouted down.

For the record if it comes to a vote I'll vote to repeal it cause I think women should have a right to choose what they do with their own bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

44% voted to repeal

I completely support repeal but how is this a legitimate vote when the option "Keep it as it is" wasn't allowed?

It's a bit unbelievable that claims are coming out that 94% of people want the 8th removed or changed when the only options allowed were to vote for repeal or change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Barbie! wrote: »
    I believe that any vote to repeal it will be defeated. It's like the first time Obama was going for President. When people were polled they said they'd vote for him cause they didn't want to appear racist. If the polls were true he should have won by another 15-18 points.

Same with abortion here. If your against it you keep your mouth shut cause you just get shouted down.

For the record if it comes to a vote I'll vote to repeal it cause I think women should have a right to choose what they do with their own bodies.

Including FGM, prostitution and womb renting?

Both require a referendum so what's the difference?

If there is a referendum, "repeal" wont be an option. So at least thats "abortion-on-demand" off the cards.

you're definitely correct about shy 'pro life' voters, but FWIW I think every poll of a straight repeal shows that it has very little support. Most voters seem to want an amendment that takes account of fatal foetal abnormalities, incest and rape.

I'd vote straight repeal but I think most of my fellow travellers have their heads in the sand regarding the lack of popular support for that proposition.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Including FGM, prostitution and womb renting?

I'm not the poster but in my case yes if that's what they want and are of a sound mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

GarIT wrote: »
    I completely support repeal but how is this a legitimate vote when the option "Keep it as it is" wasn't allowed?

It's a bit unbelievable that claims are coming out that 94% of people want the 8th removed or changed when the only options allowed were to vote for repeal or change.

There was an earlier vote where they asked whether the 8th amendment should remain as it is or not. I think only 13% voted for the 8th amendment to remain so they moved on to the 2nd vote as to whether to repeal or replace/amend it.

There was an earlier vote where they asked whether the 8th amendment should remain as it is or not. I think only 13% voted for the 8th amendment to remain so they moved on to the 2nd vote as to whether to repeal or replace/amend it.

Thanks, that makes much more sense. Although if you submitted this question on your thesis at any reputable university your thesis would be rejected. For any acceptable scientific statistics all options must be available on a poll, you can't split it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I

Abortion is such a complex issue. I feel that the majority of citizens in this country would be in favour of changing the law as it stands (e.g. legislating for fatal fetal abnormalities or rape etc). However, the repeal movement seem to want abortion on demand. And I've felt that if you're not of the same opinion, you're painted as a religious bigot or a hater of women or a sexist neanderthal.

(And before anyone paints me as anything, I haven't a clue where I stand on this mindblowing, complex, divisive issue!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

conorhal wrote: »
    If all they get is an amendment regards fatal fetal abnormality, which I could accept, it would demolish the pro-abortion repeal crowds favorite stalking horse, I'd be delighted if they had to make their argument without pushing hard cases that make bad law and attempting to strawman abortion in through the back door.
    Who is pro-abortion?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Who is pro-abortion?

U living under a rock lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

U living under a rock lately?

Last I heard it was pro-choice. When did it morph to pro-abortion?

Who is pro-abortion?

Mostly those intent on playing semantic word games in an effort to misrepresent peoples argument. You know perfectly well that by 'pro-abortion' I mean those that advocate for abortion on demand and without limits.

The choice to, you know, abort your child

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I'm not the poster but in my case yes if that's what they want and are of a sound mind.

If you are of sound mind and you want FGM for your minor daughter then you should be allowed?

infogiver wrote: »
    If you are of sound mind and you want FGM for your minor daughter then you should be allowed?

No, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

About the same time as pro-life morphed into anti-choice.

Chocolate or vanilla? Is a choice. :rolleyes: euphemisms that obscure intent are also a choice, typically a choice to frame an argument promoting something grotesque as benign or bog it down in semantics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Keep it as it stands or change it to something else were the options on the first ballot (change won by a huge majority). We are looking at the second ballot, where repeal or a new amendment were tabled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement