Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    That right there is the problem though: good or bad, Star Wars is a heavily prescribed universe for all sorts of reasons. More than most franchises it relies on a certain aesthetic that simply can't be deviated from. Someone so visual oriented as Villeneuve would likely get little traction to shake things up as much as he would.

Agreed. But 'Blade Runner' showed that he can fit into a popular existing movie world (I hesitate to call it the dreaded F word) and deliver what fans want. I was especially impressed by his negotiation around the "is Deckard a Replicant" issue. He deftly pleased both camps there.

As for the aesthetic of Star Wars, if the film is set far enough away from either the prequels and the originals, I'd say he'd be given more of a free reign to design his own look. I don't count the sequels because in that respect, I think nearly everyone agrees they were bloody awful.
    Dune is at least a blank canvas, and even when he made the Blade Runner sequel, it had a distinct voice & texture all of its own, despite still feeling part of that existing world. Any other circumstance and a sequel might have insisted on being a clone of the '82 films aesthetic.

Is 'Dune' a blank canvas? I would beg to differ. There are legions of Dune fans that have a very fixed idea of what the look of Dune constitutes. Also, TBH, I would mind seeing Villeneuve pay a lot of homage to the visual designs of Lynch's efforts. The look of that movie is probably its biggest strength.

As for cloning the past, I think Disney may have learned their lessons with that. The sequels have been rightly lambasted for the ctrl c / ctrl v limitations in that regard.

Might just be wishful thinking on my behalf though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rumours that Kenobi series is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What?!! After the director Deborah Chow made two of the best Mandalorian episodes?!?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm so looking forward to Denis Villeneuve's Dune, but I don't see him as a fit for Star Wars. Whether the older fans like it or not it a universe for all ages.

Star Wares doesn't need a visionary director, it needs a great script, a great cast and a competent director who's who's not afraid of wipe transitions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And nothing of value was lost. Though that's quite soon after it was announced, wonder what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

And nothing of value was lost. Though that's quite soon after it was announced, wonder what happened.

They probably couldn't come up with something similar to Baby Yoda to camouflage a show devoid of substance or plot. Or they blew the full load of fan service material and memberberry content on The Mandalorian and they have nothing left for Kenobi's show. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Apparently that rumour was complete nonsense, that came from a parody account that some fan sites picked up and ran with for clicks.

https://www.thewrap.com/no-the-star-wars-disney-series-about-obi-wan-kenobi-has-not-been-canceled/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

Dades wrote: »
    I'm so looking forward to Denis Villeneuve's Dune, but I don't see him as a fit for Star Wars. Whether the older fans like it or not it a universe for all ages.

Star Wares doesn't need a visionary director, it needs a great script, a great cast and a competent director who's who's not afraid of wipe transitions.

They should get Matt Reeves. His Apes trilogy was terrific... Great balance of story, character and action, with a heap of visual effects that didn't get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

There's no thread in the TV forum for it, but I thought I'd post the new trailer for the final series of the Clone Wars. Only a month to go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Kenobi series has been paused and sent back to the drawing board for new scripts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good god, how hard is it to write some good Star Wars scripts? Disney, for all my hatred of their corporate dominance, know how to make movies, it's in their blood. Why is Star Wars proving to be such a slippery fish for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Good god, how hard is it to write some good Star Wars scripts? Disney, for all my hatred of their corporate dominance, know how to make movies, it's in their blood. Why is Star Wars proving to be such a slippery fish for them?

is KK and acceptable answer? :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    is KK and acceptable answer? :pac:

I was actually going to type "... and no, immediately blaming Kennedy isn't funny or smart". So no, I don't think you can lay the blame on one person here, as convenient a strawman as that producer has become :)

Suppose, when you step away, maybe it's cos Disney never worked with a SciFi property before, and certainly not one of this size and (relative) complexity. The last SciFi movie they tried before Star Wars was ... lordy... The Black Hole maybe? Perhaps the company has this big cognitive blindspot in its creative departments that doesn't know how to work with SciFi *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was actually going to type "... and no, immediately blaming Kennedy isn't funny or smart". So no, I don't think you can lay the blame on one person here, as convenient a strawman as that producer has become :)

Suppose, when you step away, maybe it's cos Disney never worked with a SciFi property before, and certainly not one of this size and (relative) complexity. The last SciFi movie they tried before Star Wars was ... lordy... The Black Hole maybe? Perhaps the company has this big cognitive blindspot in its creative departments that doesn't know how to work with SciFi *shrug*

in purely business management logic you can , leadership should always be prepared to fall on their sword. If anything I thought Disney’s strength was having a formula to churn them out even if they are a bit cookie cutter.
    There seems to be 2 basics to these movies, get the generic points right which is applicable to any movie and then whatever oddities there are to SW in particular. It seems like poor leadership from the top to me

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Disney have never been under so much pressure to produce the goods as with Star Wars. Their traditional fare isn't judged by rabid fans lurking in every corner of the internet waiting for the slightest misstep.

It was the script (or lack of) that caused the problems with the sequels. I'm not surprised they're trying to get it right and we should be thankful they are taking time to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

People talk about the acquisition of Star Wars properties as if once they were purchased Disney fired everyone involved previously and started churning out projects by the same people that develop their content. Like when nearly any somewhat successful company is acquired, you try to keep a lot of the same people around and provide them new resources and oversight to assist things. Sometimes it works, like with Marvel and Pixar, and sometimes it doesn't work quite as well, see Star Wars.

Disney hold ultimate responsibility for what is churned out but the rot is within Lucasfilm. As I said earlier in one of the threads, it appears Disney are changing their approach to them by bringing in Feige. I wouldn't be surprised if sending for new scripts is also down to Disney getting themselves involved earlier in the process now, rather than waiting until it is half shot and realising what a mess they've made and then requiring re-shoots. If anything I'd see them pausing here as a positive sign for the likely quality we'll get.

I think it's fair to say that she is part of the problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The Kenobi series has been paused and sent back to the drawing board for new scripts.

Good. They should use the time to reorientate themselves to Deborah Chows style from what she did with the Mandalorian

So there's apparently a new writer has been found to head the Kenobi series:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-plus-series-joby-harold-1234569286/

Harold's CV is certainly "mixed", and has never written for TV before; which TBH doesn't seem the smartest idea. TV & Film are completely different beasts to write for.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Stellan Skarsgard and Kyle Soller join the cast of The Rouge One series.

• Advertisement

Taika Waititi has apparently been confirmed to direct and co-write a Star Wars film. The other writer will be 1917 writer Kristy Wilson-Cairns. No other details yet. And given the fate of many of these non trilogy films, I wouldn't hold my breath just yet lol

^
    Can't say I'm too pushed on that idea. Don't see Watiti's humour fitting in in a Star Wars film. He's an ok director, but there's too much nudge-nudge-wink-wink to him. Too giddy for something like this.

That is, assuming of course that he can't rein in that aspect of his.

I know he's been part of 'The Mandalorian', so maybe he'll be ok. But, he's a comedy merchant, really, and Star Wars isn't comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Unless it's a new Holiday Special.................. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Point in case for any Star Wars film 3 comments in and 2 are already negative, that's what they are up against sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm delighted with that news to be honest. Thor Ragnarok was possibly the best of the Marvel line up. Star Wars needs some fresh new blood, and quite urgently after Ep9 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Homelander wrote: »
    IThor Ragnarok was possibly the best of the Marvel line up.

Oh hell no. It was a horrible 70s/80s inspired mess.

How good or bad this appointment comes down to what kind of movie Disney want Waititi to produce: his Mandalorian finale was a deft enough mix of comedy and drama. Apart from one scene at the start the episode didn't really lean too hard into comedy TBH. It's a weirdly mixed signal all the same: given Lord & Miller were sacked for what was apparently an excessively comedic "Solo", to now hire Hollywood's favourite comedy writer-director seems an odd choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would make sense that they wanted a version of Solo that fit in with traditional Star Wars franchise films tone-wise though, with a spin-off there's much more breathing room to attempt something new.

Marvel was already heavily juggling comic relief with spectacle so Ragnarok was noticeably unique but not radically departing from form - I doubt they would ever have given Waititi Infinity War or Endgame however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Homelander wrote: »
    It would make sense that they wanted a version of Solo that fit in with traditional Star Wars franchise films tone-wise though, with a spin-off there's much more breathing room to attempt something new.

Marvel was already heavily juggling comic relief with spectacle so Ragnarok was noticeably unique but not radically departing from form - I doubt they would ever have given Waititi Infinity War or Endgame however.

I really think SW is actually an extremely difficult universe to make movies that will appease a significant portion of the hardcore and the masses. People can slag "the mouse" for wanting to make movies that will appeal to the masses, to make money, but thats just whats gonna happen. I would love to see a KOTOR or a completely new era that doesnt involve the skywalker universe but I am not sure we are going to get it.

Solo is actually a very entertaining space heist movie, I would say if it was anything other then in the SW universe it would be of been much better received. Rogue one is one of my favorite SW movies and probably the closest we have gotten to originals since ROTJ.

Incidentally, Thor Ragnorak (watched it again on Sunday by chance) was excellent in a different way to CA Civil War and WS were excellent.

• Advertisement

How good or bad this appointment comes down to what kind of movie Disney want Waititi to produce: his Mandalorian finale was a deft enough mix of comedy and drama. Apart from one scene at the start the episode didn't really lean too hard into comedy TBH. It's a weirdly mixed signal all the same: given Lord & Miller were sacked for what was apparently an excessively comedic "Solo", to now hire Hollywood's favourite comedy writer-director seems an odd choice.

Agreed.

It's like giving Wes Anderson a Star Wars gig. It sounds interesting, but in the end I know it won't work. Just as Lord and Miller were an utterly dreadful choice, I can see Waititi being so as well.

These decisions are made by suits on the basis of "Who's hot right now" as opposed to who's right for the gig.

Advertisement