Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Close company: directors drawings vs salary

Options
  • 08-12-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭

What am I missing is the following:
    Employer PRSI is going to be 11.05% from Jan 1.
    CT is 12.5%
    ER is 11.05%
    so not much difference between taking drawings or salary, assuming drawings are enough to leave no residual profits in the close company.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

What am I missing is the following:
    Employer PRSI is going to be 11.05% from Jan 1.
    CT is 12.5%
    ER is 11.05%
    so not much difference between taking drawings or salary, assuming drawings are enough to leave no residual profits in the close company.

There are no drawings in a company, only directors loan/dividends/salary. Look up the rules on this regarding BIK and corporate tax charge (gross up 80%)

Also there is no ER on payments to prop. directors.

Also close companies only pay a surcharge on non trading income (rental, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for this, are the rules in the Close company rules or elsewhere.
    Anyway take an example.
    Company pays
    5000 to Prop. director who then pays PAYE/PRSI/USC etc on it.
    Whats wrong with that from a tax paid point of view?
    Does the same tax not get paid if it were treated as salary in the company, or by way of dividends.
    Thanks as always
    Top rate applying in all cases

Thanks for this, are the rules in the Close company rules or elsewhere.
    Anyway take an example.
    Company pays
    5000 to Prop. director who then pays PAYE/PRSI/USC etc on it.
    Whats wrong with that from a tax paid point of view?
    Does the same tax not get paid if it were treated as salary in the company, or by way of dividends.
    Thanks as always
    Top rate applying in all cases

There is nothing wrong with drawing a salary and it is preferred to dividends as dividends are taken from post corp tax earnings from the co, while salary is corp tax deductible.

Thanks, What I did was just transferred out the funds, post surcharge etc, and paid all the taxes on my F11, rather than set up an employee in 2019 for just one shot.
    I am now working as a contractor so from jan 2020 I will do it properly :)

Just checking my math here, as an employee's in my own company will be paying my salary next week, is this right?
    [No headroom left in my tax credits/20% so tax is 40%]

40.00% Tax
    04.00% EE PRSI
    11.05% ER PRSI
    04.50% USC (assuming < than 70,044)
    Gives an all in rate of 59.55%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,552 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

If you're a proprietary director (class S PRSI), no employer PRSI is payable. See page 7 of this booklet (for 2019 but no changes in 2020 for S0/S1).

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/SW14_19.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

There is no employer PRSI for proprietary directors (Class S). In order to be deemed a proprietary director, you need to control 15% or more of the company's share capital.

Before taking money out of your company, you should speak to your tax adviser to decide how to structure the transaction in the most tax efficient way.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

I may be wrong but did you say in some previous thread that you were >66 in which case PRSI is not an issue.

Thanks, you are both correct about me, I should have said the query was for my partner who is going to join the company as as employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

If your partner is an employee, then you may legally be obliged to operate payroll and remit any taxes owing to the Revenue. The threshold for setting up PAYE is very low: €8 per week for a full time employee and €2 per week for a part time employee.

If your partner is not a proprietary director, you have to pay employer PRSI.

There are a lot of factors to consider here, so I would advise getting professional advice.

• Advertisement

If your partner is an employee, then you may legally be obliged to operate payroll and remit any taxes owing to the Revenue. The threshold for setting up PAYE is very low: €8 per week for a full time employee and €2 per week for a part time employee.

If your partner is not a proprietary director, you have to pay employer PRSI.

There are a lot of factors to consider here, so I would advise getting professional advice.

Thank you.

Will be doing payroll for both of us as I am a contractor. The exercise in part was to see what her net pay would be, so the ER is a big piece.
    I have yet to decide if I need to buy a payroll package, for 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59,552 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

For peace of mind it would be worth buying.

I've a spreadsheet linked in my signature which generally seems accurate but I wouldn't rely on it myself to be 100% accurate in all cases. The real world consequences of making errors can be expensive and well exceed the cost of payroll software.
    Additionally, the software packages tend to be well integrated with PAYE modernisation which saves time.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111837122

Following up on that other thread the question is what value do you place on your time per hour to be manually calculating and inputting payroll for 2 into ROS -v- approx €160pa cost of a payroll package, say <€4pw. Time to input 2 EE on payroll package & submit to ROS weekly <10 mins, in fact probably closer to 5 and no having to see if you’ve calculated everything correctly.

Yep, good point!

Thank you.

Will be doing payroll for both of us as I am a contractor. The exercise in part was to see what her net pay would be, so the ER is a big piece.

Ugg, get one just to save filling in the horrendous forms online...

davindub wrote: »
    Ugg, get one just to save filling in the horrendous forms online...

Yep, am doing to plus an accounts package

Just a quick one here, my partner is going to be working in my company so any thoughts on a simple way to set up a pension scheme. [ her current employer is paying 8% and she is paying 4% ] I know the rules for the self administered schemes have tighten up a lot so any thoughts where to look.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

My read of this that PRSA's are not as as tax effective as the RACs, which I read as an insurance policy, which will pay out an annuity based on life expectancy.

Just read here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/pensions/personal_retirement_savings_accounts.html

You can get tax relief (based on your age) for the contributions you pay into your PRSA. Since 2003 employers that do not have an occupational pension scheme for their employees must provide access to at least one Standard PRSA. Employees who are not entitled to join a pension scheme within 6 months of service must be given access to a PRSA by their employer. Read more about employers' obligations and PRSAs here (pdf)

My emphasis

Does that mean that my company will be have to provide me with a PRSA, despite already being in receipt of a pension.

Employees who are not entitled to join a pension scheme within 6 months of service must be given access to a PRSA by their employer.

Does that mean that my company will be have to provide me with a PRSA, despite already being in receipt of a pension.

The important word is access. The employer does not have to contribute anything nor does the employee have to take up the Offer of access to a PRSA. They must just be given the option to make payments to a PRSA. They can decline.

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/Joining_a_plan/Employers_obligations_to_provide_access/

My company is going to buy the bike and give it to the employee, so BIK will apply on the lot minus the 1,000.

Is the BIK on the gross or net, ie after VAT?
    Thanks as aways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Started my own business after Christmas, construction contractor. Just me and my dad as directors. Bought brightpay at €169 for the year or something. Class job, integrates with ROS.

Only paying my own wage each week but it’s well worth it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Might be more relevant over here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112450850#post112450850

This thread is about tax

Yeah the lads above were discussing whether one poster should get a payroll package. Should have replied to one of those, I wasn’t randomly posting.

Advertisement