Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Payroll package

Options
  • 21-11-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for the above please: it is just two or three people.
    Hopefully with pdf option for payslips.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Looking for recommendations for the above please: it is just two or three people.
    Hopefully with pdf option for payslips.
    Thanks as always

Loads of ppl using thesaurus for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Loads of ppl using thesaurus for that

prefer it to be desktop based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Collsoft. Excellent program

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Thesaurus Payroll is desktop based. We have used it for many years. It has cloud add on if needed.
    Single user up to 10 EE is €159+VAT for the year.
    You can PDF payslips.
    (no connection with the company)

Stratvs wrote: »
    Thesaurus Payroll is desktop based. We have used it for many years. It has cloud add on if needed.
    Single user up to 10 EE is €159+VAT for the year.
    You can PDF payslips.
    (no connection with the company)
    Thanks as always.
    Will wait now till Jan as no point in paying any payroll in 2019 for that cost.

• Advertisement

Thanks as always.
    Will wait now till Jan as no point in paying any payroll in 2019 for that cost.

Agreed. If you have payroll between now and then you can do it on ROS online although be mindful that ROS does not compute only record what you input and it's a bit tedious ( although apparently there are quite a few small employers doing it according to Revenue )

Agreed. If you have payroll between now and then you can do it on ROS online although be mindful that ROS does not compute only record what you input and it's a bit tedious ( although apparently there are quite a few small employers doing it according to Revenue )
    Great idea thanks.
    The math would be simple enough as all my tax credits are used elsewhere so its just top rate and USC, no PRSI as am a grey voter!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭collsoft

Ho Calahonda52,

First, I have to declare that I am Jason Collins, and I am the owner of CollSoft Payroll - straight up not trying to fudge things.

You actually have a lot of choices open to you.

First, most of the Payroll software on the market today offer a free trial to let you get a feeling for the system and decide if it works for you.

I can tell you that CollSoft offer a 60 day trial. That trial lets you run live Payrolls for 60 days from the first day that you install it, and actually, if you installed it today, you could actually run all of your 2019 historical payrolls, as well as all payrolls to the end of the year and submit them to Revenue using the Free Trial, and indeed we would provide technical support during this period.

I also pretty sure that you could do the same thing with Brightpay (which is a Thesaurus product) and Thesaurus Payroll - you could install the free trial now and submit the rest of your 2019 Payroll with that trial version. Again, they would also provide you with all the technical support that you might need in this period.

I am not 100% sure about the other products available, but it is likely that you could also do the same thing.

I would suggest that you take some time and try the free trials that most Payroll software companies offer. Software is no different than anything else, there is plenty of choice, and different people have different preferences.

My Dad drives a Skoda, and would never pay for a Volkswagen. My Brother loves Audi's and would never buy a Skoda. But guess what, there really isn't much different difference between a Skoda, a Seat, a VW or an Audi (I wont get into Porche etc) - To some extent they are all the same but just marketed differently.

In terms of Payroll Software, they all do much the same thing. All have strengths, all have weaknesses, but you have to find what is the best fit for you, and to do that you should play with the free trial versions.

This is a list of the main Payroll software packages aimed at a business of your size - its in alphabetical order - not any other order. I have taken the cheapest price for each product and each may have more expensive products available and all prices are ex VAT.

Also, I am giving you the 2020 prices - 2019 were different for some suppliers;

Big Red Book, Payroll Lite, 3 Employees, €109
    Brightpay (by Thesaurus), 10 Employees, €159
    CollSoft, unlimited Employees, €150
    Payback, unlimited Employees, €140
    Sage 5 Employees, €105 in the first year - €120 in the subsequent years
    Thesaurus Payroll, 10 Employees, €159

Im pretty sure that all of the above prices include technical support.

In terms of numbers of Employers using the above software, Thesaurs/Brightpay is the most popular, followed by Sage and then by CollSoft - I am not sure how it pans out after that.

I can also tell you that all of the companies that I mentioned above have been providing Payroll software for more than 10 Years, so they are not some fly by night operation offering you the "Latest Cool Thing" - they all have serious pedigree. That is not to say that the there is not "The Next Hottest Thing" out there, to some extent we all could claim to be that at some stage. In order to get to being in business for 10 Years, you have to get through the first nine, and that is something every business goes through.

But as I said before, everybody has different preferences, so I would urge you to try them all out and see what works best for you.

Regards

Jason

Stratvs,
    where is this on ROS pls?
    Thanks as always

Stratvs,
    where is this on ROS pls?
    Thanks as always

There’s a step by step guide at link below.

Once you have employee registered you can get rpn and submit manually with online form. Remember ROS only accepts what you file and the assumption is it’s in accordance with the rpn issued. It doesn’t compute anything so if you incorrectly compute PAYE or USC it will still take it and any +/- will turn up on a balancing statement for the ee.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/support/ros-help/ros-for-employers/ros-2019-payroll/inputting-your-payroll-manually-on-ros.aspx

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Not seeing the employer services panel: see attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

collsoft wrote: »
    Ho Calahonda52,

First, I have to declare that I am Jason Collins, and I am the owner of CollSoft Payroll - straight up not trying to fudge things.

You actually have a lot of choices open to you.

First, most of the Payroll software on the market today offer a free trial to let you get a feeling for the system and decide if it works for you.

I can tell you that CollSoft offer a 60 day trial. That trial lets you run live Payrolls for 60 days from the first day that you install it, and actually, if you installed it today, you could actually run all of your 2019 historical payrolls, as well as all payrolls to the end of the year and submit them to Revenue using the Free Trial, and indeed we would provide technical support during this period.

I also pretty sure that you could do the same thing with Brightpay (which is a Thesaurus product) and Thesaurus Payroll - you could install the free trial now and submit the rest of your 2019 Payroll with that trial version. Again, they would also provide you with all the technical support that you might need in this period.

I am not 100% sure about the other products available, but it is likely that you could also do the same thing.

I would suggest that you take some time and try the free trials that most Payroll software companies offer. Software is no different than anything else, there is plenty of choice, and different people have different preferences.

My Dad drives a Skoda, and would never pay for a Volkswagen. My Brother loves Audi's and would never buy a Skoda. But guess what, there really isn't much different difference between a Skoda, a Seat, a VW or an Audi (I wont get into Porche etc) - To some extent they are all the same but just marketed differently.

In terms of Payroll Software, they all do much the same thing. All have strengths, all have weaknesses, but you have to find what is the best fit for you, and to do that you should play with the free trial versions.

This is a list of the main Payroll software packages aimed at a business of your size - its in alphabetical order - not any other order. I have taken the cheapest price for each product and each may have more expensive products available and all prices are ex VAT.

Also, I am giving you the 2020 prices - 2019 were different for some suppliers;

Big Red Book, Payroll Lite, 3 Employees, €109
    Brightpay (by Thesaurus), 10 Employees, €159
    CollSoft, unlimited Employees, €150
    Payback, unlimited Employees, €140
    Sage 5 Employees, €105 in the first year - €120 in the subsequent years
    Thesaurus Payroll, 10 Employees, €159

Im pretty sure that all of the above prices include technical support.

In terms of numbers of Employers using the above software, Thesaurs/Brightpay is the most popular, followed by Sage and then by CollSoft - I am not sure how it pans out after that.

I can also tell you that all of the companies that I mentioned above have been providing Payroll software for more than 10 Years, so they are not some fly by night operation offering you the "Latest Cool Thing" - they all have serious pedigree. That is not to say that the there is not "The Next Hottest Thing" out there, to some extent we all could claim to be that at some stage. In order to get to being in business for 10 Years, you have to get through the first nine, and that is something every business goes through.

But as I said before, everybody has different preferences, so I would urge you to try them all out and see what works best for you.

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

Can I ask does Collsoft send payroll submissions?

One thing that really bugs me about our current software is that if you are making changes to prior periods (I know, not supposed to be done, but sometimes accountants like reports to match accounts...), it basically means having to redo the payrolls for the following periods or manually update figures to get the cumulative figures correct. Is Collsoft more user friendly?

Also any plans for cloud based services / Api's?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Thanks

You might need to add the service....your ROS is different from the one I use, but generally if it is not there, we are not the agent for PAYE/ the client is not registered for PAYE.

Ring ROS if you can't add.

Thanks

Are you in your personal ROS rather than the employer (if own company) ROS ?
    There should be an Employer Services section immediately below the "My Enquiries" and above the "File a Return" headings.

davindub wrote: »
    You might need to add the service....your ROS is different from the one I use, but generally if it is not there, we are not the agent for PAYE/ the client is not registered for PAYE.

Ring ROS if you can't add.

Correct, in agent services it shows in the individual client interface, and in the individual client's ROS it will show in same location. I've a personal ROS cert as well as agent one also and it's there once registered as an ER.

Thanks guys.
    Am in my own company ROS account, no agent etc.
    Will call/email ROS. do you have a ros number to hand pls?

Thanks guys.
    Am in my own company ROS account, no agent etc.
    Will call/email ROS. do you have a ros number to hand pls?

The ROS Helpdesk (01 738 36 99) will answer any ROS related queries you may have.

Looks like employer reg is not showing up. Check manage registrations, is there an employer reg set up? if not it will need to be added before you can get RPN submit payroll etc.

Thanks, see attached screen shot

ER reg is active ok. I'd ring helpine.

PS I'd delete that last screenshot now also. (Tax ref showing)

Just a thought, you may have to add the employment on the EE side in MyAccount / personal ROS before it shows up on ER side.

Thanks, called them, it takes 3 to 4 days for PREM to update: I only signed up on 24th
    In passing what does PREM stand for?

• Advertisement

Thanks, called them, it takes 3 to 4 days for PREM to update: I only signed up on 24th
    In passing what does PREM stand for?

Ah ok that's good so.

PREM is Revenue speak for Employers PAYE/PRSI

Got my VAT registration sorted as well today so happy days: it was in the works since 5th Sept, supposed to be max of 6 weeks turnaround

Ah ok that's good so.

PREM is Revenue speak for Employers PAYE/PRSI
    No Employer link yet but VAT is now active, from 5th Sept, which is good, as when I called them before and said I needed to issue an invoice with VAT on it, they said you can't, as the VAT reg would only start from the day it was processed.
    As it happened I knew, from my last job, the lady who rang me ......:D

No Employer link yet but VAT is now active, from 5th Sept, which is good, as when I called them before and said I needed to issue an invoice with VAT on it, they said you can't, as the VAT reg would only start from the day it was processed.
    As it happened I knew, from my last job, the lady who rang me ......:D

Don't understand why VAT reg should take that long. Even in the good old days of the paper TR1/2 forms you'd have had a reg in a few weeks. Least that's sorted.

Don't understand why VAT reg should take that long. Even in the good old days of the paper TR1/2 forms you'd have had a reg in a few weeks. Least that's sorted.
    When I called them first to ask where was it at they said its 6 weeks turn around

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Looking for recommendations for the above please: it is just two or three people. Hopefully with pdf option for payslips. Thanks as always

I've been using Big Red Book for a number of years and am very happy with it. Easy to use.

marko99 wrote: »
    I've been using Big Red Book for a number of years and am very happy with it. Easy to use.

Thanks,
    I think I will just upload manually as I am at the top rate anyway so its just that and USC, I don't pay PRSI since I got the bus pass.

In passing, do any of the packages handle the bike to work scheme from the employer side or is that just at my end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Tow

Thanks,
    I think I will just upload manually as I am at the top rate anyway so its just that and USC, I don't pay PRSI since I got the bus pass.

In passing, do any of the packages handle the bike to work scheme from the employer side or is that just at my end?

They all handle it. But manually it is just a matter of deducting the cost of the bike from the Taxable Pay, USCable Pay, Employee PRSIable pay and Employer PRSIable pay. But do not deduct it from 'Gross Pay'.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    They all handle it. But manually it is just a matter of deducting the cost of the bike from the Taxable Pay, USCable Pay, Employee PRSIable pay and Employer PRSIable pay. But do not deduct it from 'Gross Pay'.

Thanks, I have the bus pass so no EE PRSI, as an ER, do I still deduct it?
    ps:
    re the bike
    so say its 2,200
    Less 1,000
    1,200, either 100 a month in salary reduction or tax the 1,200 as BIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭collsoft

davindub wrote: »
    Hi Jason,

Can I ask does Collsoft send payroll submissions?

One thing that really bugs me about our current software is that if you are making changes to prior periods (I know, not supposed to be done, but sometimes accountants like reports to match accounts...), it basically means having to redo the payrolls for the following periods or manually update figures to get the cumulative figures correct. Is Collsoft more user friendly?

Also any plans for cloud based services / Api's?

Thanks.

Hi davindub,

Sorry for the delay in responding, as we near year end things are getting busier.

Yes indeed, CollSoft sends Payroll directly to revenue - This is called "Direct Reporting" by Revenue.

And Yes, you can make changes to wages in a previous period and submit them easily from CollSoft - its actually just the same process as sending the origional.

In CollSoft all periods are available to edit at any time without having to roll back to that period, just click into the period you want and make the change.

And if you make a change to a previous period you do not have to re-run all the periods after, however, your change may trigger balancing changes in your next Payroll period.

I have attached a screenshot from our main Wages screen. As you can see all the periods that you have processed are visible.

If you want to make a change to one of them just click into it and make your change.

As you can also see, the system will flag any period that has submissions due to Revenue, and these are easy to file with a simple 4 step wizard.

Indeed we now also have a batch submission tool where you submit multiple periods for multiple employers in one Wizard.

We also have a document on our website that goes into the details of filing corrections - the document may look long, but it goes into a lot of detail of how the corrections look on Revenue etc - the process is actually very easy in the software, a couple of clicks and its all done.

You can get the document here>>>

As for the Cloud/APIs, development is currently underway.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Advertisement