Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Parliament rejects Brexit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Does this mean that Scotland are now bullying England too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While it's another headache for Mrs May, in practice it's of little consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yeah, that will show...whoever needs to be shown the thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Even if it's only symbolic, but being subsequently overruled and having their decision ignored by the Brits won't sit well with the Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Longshanks was right all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dinnae want Brexit eh. I'll choose this and this from the menu sir - but not that.

oh well a parliament that powerful should keep voting

I mean there's the middle east to be sorted for starters.

Nae stopping them laddies noo there's no'

It's just a talking shop pal - and believe it or not - it's the Scottish people themselves who are the very ones who wanted to keep it that way.

Nobody's shins got hurt in the casting of this vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

This can be overridden by westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the uk and subject to uk laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

pauliebdub wrote: »
    This can be overridden by westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the uk and subject to uk laws.

The problem is that the SNP have already been agitatating for a 2nd Indyref over the whole Brexit Fiasco and simply railroading Little Englands failing brexit agenda through without getting their agreement is exactly the kind of political bomb that would create the conditions for a Breakup of the UK.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would see it as a minor issue compared to some of the ones currently facing them on Brexit. Since last year's election May's been clawing onto power by her fingernails, and something is going to give unless the Brexiteers back off a bit. They all know it is likely to be a bigger disaster if Corbyn gets in. I guess there is a chance of another election with the Lib Dems potentially holding the balance, which could provide a get-out. However if that does happen the UK would become much more polarised virtually overnight. I'm struggling to see a soft landing whichever way this turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Even if it's only symbolic, but being subsequently overruled and having their decision ignored by the Brits won't sit well with the Scots.
    They are 'Brits'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's fantastic news, if only a symbolic act as it will have no actual effect in real terms. still, anything that says no to brexit nonsense, symbolic or not is a good thing.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unions of country's are bad, so surely the UK should disband............

Scotxit, wexit, nixit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Scotxit, wexit, nixit?

Manxit?

Manxit?

A nation of just women would never work.

I'll need to go over to make sure they're ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Manxit?

Jexit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Someone is going to have to take the big dildo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fuxit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Countdown to the Caledonii Independent Referendum v2 on the cards?
    Wonder how folks in Larne will feel about passport checks to Stranraer.
    'Scoti-go'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Scotxit, wexit, nixit?

Scoxit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Countdown to the Caledonii Independent Referendum v2 on the cards?
    Wonder how folks in Larne will feel about passport checks to Stranraer.
    'Scoti-go'

Might upset a few Rangers fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Might upset a few Rangers fans.

Guess that just leaves Liverpool sailings, whom are also doing much better at the soccerball these days also, so might be for the best.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to take the big dildo.
    Thought Boris already lived there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Manxit?

I hate to be pedantic (and now we all know where this is going) but the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK or EU. It's a self governing Crown Dependency.

(and now we all know where this is going)
    Manchester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

I hate to be pedantic (and now we all know where this is going) but the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK or EU. It's a self governing Crown Dependency.

Shurrup...or else we'll give them back Donegal !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Let's put a Stewart back on the throne!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Let's put a Stewart back on the throne!

Alf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Scotxit, wexit, nixit?

Madeabagsofit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Jocks rejected independence so they can, as they say up there, "Get tae f**k"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's all showboating. Setting the stage for the inevitable. The Scots reject Brexit, Westminster will completely ignore it. Around the end of the summer, the Scottish parliament will start talking about scheduling a new independence referendum. And they will imply in not so many words that if the UK can't make a deal on Brexit, Scotland will have no choice but to hold a new independence referendum.

Westminster will say that they won't allow Scotland to have one, and they won't recognise the outcome of any vote. And so when the UK crashes out of the EU and Scotland holds a referendum, it'll be a landslide win to leave the UK. With the UK no longer in the EU, the EU is free to recognise Scotland's declaration of independence. London will not have the support to try and forcibly suppress it and will have no choice but to accept it.

Scotland will adopt the euro as its official currency and make an official application to join the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

seamus wrote: »
    It's all showboating. Setting the stage for the inevitable. The Scots reject Brexit, Westminster will completely ignore it. Around the end of the summer, the Scottish parliament will start talking about scheduling a new independence referendum. And they will imply in not so many words that if the UK can't make a deal on Brexit, Scotland will have no choice but to hold a new independence referendum.

Westminster will say that they won't allow Scotland to have one, and they won't recognise the outcome of any vote. And so when the UK crashes out of the EU and Scotland holds a referendum, it'll be a landslide win to leave the UK. With the UK no longer in the EU, the EU is free to recognise Scotland's declaration of independence. London will not have the support to try and forcibly suppress it and will have no choice but to accept it.

Scotland will adopt the euro as its official currency and make an official application to join the EU.

lol...

And back in the real world, the little Scots just enjoy sticking their finger in westminster's eye every now and then. Just to keep them honest as it were... :P

There is no real consequences to this.

The UK will exit the EU... they will begin to flourish outside the EU straight-jacket. Scotland may or may not have a future independence referendum, but with the UK economy flying high post Brexit... a yes vote would probably be even less likely than before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Stop it with that would you!

Stay on-message and keep up the mantra -

"Ireland would be nowhere without the EU!" TM

If you get bored of that one - you can move over to "Only a federal Europe can stop countries going to war against each other". TM

topper75 wrote: »
    Stop it with that would you!

Stay on-message and keep up the mantra -

"Ireland would be nowhere without the EU!" TM

If you get bored of that one - you can move over to "Only a federal Europe can stop countries going to war against each other". TM
    Surely you support the break up of the UK so? Its just a smaller version of the eu, but with much more integration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Surely you support the break up of the UK so? Its just a smaller version of the eu, but with much more integration.

And less regional autonomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The UK will exit the EU... they will begin to flourish outside the EU straight-jacket.
    Yeah, I mean, just look at all those companies queueing up to relocate their headquarters to London after Brexit...

Oh, no, wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Send the heavy horses in

The Jocks rejected independence so they can, as they say up there, "Get tae f**k"

One of the biggest factors for Scottish people voting against independence was because they believed it would mean Scotland would be removed from and have a hard time rejoining the EU.

The English and Welsh then went ahead and voted to leave the EU within a few years of telling the Scots that if they left the UK they'd lose their EU status.

There has been a monumental change in the political landscape and as such the question should be, and will be, revisited.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, just look at all those companies queueing up to relocate their headquarters to London after Brexit...

Oh, no, wait.

Thomson Reuters today announce they'd be moving one of their core business to Dublin to add to the London exodus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The UK will exit the EU... they will begin to flourish outside the EU straight-jacket.
    In what ways, exactly? As in what industries will flourish and for what reasons, post Brexit?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    In what ways, exactly? As in what industries will flourish and for what reasons, post Brexit?

Gonna have a hard time shifting all those left hand dive cars they're producing in the British market after they are priced out of the single market by tariffs.

Thomson Reuters today announce they'd be moving one of their core business to Dublin to add to the London exodus.

but no people, its little more than a brass plaque job.
    Neill Penney, the company's co-head of trading, said there were no plans to move staff from London but that some new personnel would be hired in Dublin.

He said Thomson Reuters had opted for Dublin over Amsterdam because it was the most cost-effective, would "minimise disruption for clients" and because Dublin's growing role as a centre for financial technology and research would "open a number of doors" should the company want to expand.

"It doesn't matter for our customers which European city we are in ... From a technology front, the technology is remaining where it is, which is in London and New York," he said.

Gonna have a hard time shifting all those left hand dive cards they're producing in the British market after they are priced out of the single market by tariffs.

are left hand drive cards any different to right hand drive ones?

I must confess, I have a wallet full of cards, but it never occurred to me that there might be a difference.

Aegir wrote: »
    are left hand drive cards any different to right hand drive ones?

I must confess, I have a wallet full of cards, but it never occurred to me that there might be a difference.

hohoho, you found a typo, fantastic job. :rolleyes:

hohoho, you found a typo, fantastic job. :rolleyes:

well the post didn't make sense any other way.

you may want to check where all the BMWs, Mercedes and Golfs that we currently buy in this country are made.

(hint, it isn't in the eu)

well the post didn't make sense any other way.

you may want to check where all the BMWs, Mercedes and Golfs that we currently buy in this country are made.

(hint, it isn't in the eu)

I think it's fairly obvious that I was pointing out that British car production relies on access to the single market, and last time I looked at a map or demographic data Ireland (4.5 odd million people) with it's right hand driver cars had a much, much smaller market for Britain to sell to than the rest of the single market (450 odd million people, largest single market on the planet, without or without the UK) with it's left hand drive cars, so I chose to focus on the left hand drive ones, because basic economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

but no people, its little more than a brass plaque job.

Thin end of the wedge.

They are hiring in Dublin and will fire in London.

Can't have negative publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see a soft landing whichever way this turns out

Watching this is like watching 'Speed 2 - Cruise Control'

It's blatantly obvious that it's all going to crash but it's happening in slow motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Brexit is a clever plan by the Aristo Tories, they'll see the UK economy plummet and will be able to rejoin the EU with the UK being Net beneficiaries. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement