Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Indoor Season Results Thread: Road to Doha World Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Such a shame that, especially when she said in her blog it was her best standing long jump since 06, which showed she was very powerful.

Just wondering if its worth her doing Doha? She only started hurdles training the tuesday before the Odessey, and now this setback.

But when has Derval ever let setbacks affect her? She'll probably win gold knowing her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

OMG Gillick...45.52!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Superb running! Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thriller

He's a gold medal contender, 2nd best time in the world this year and equals his pb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 athleticsfan

Brilliant:D!!! The most comfortable race I've seen from Gillick in a long time. He looks really strong.
    Roll on Doha!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just watched it again. He looked extremely comfortable. As he said in the interview afterwards, if he had only dipped at the end of the race, he would have dipped under the national record.

Proper 5th with a decent 6.33. Gomes won with 6.69.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kilkenny runner

Good run by Gillick:D ........ yes if he dipped he would have got the NR but he slowed slightly coming up to the line and also as he say in his interview its only the second time running out of the blocks this year...
    he was very strong in the second 200m but i think he can improve on his first 200m... also its his first run this year... so there is plenty of room to knock time of his 45.52 when he is in doha..........

I think he can run 45.30's in doha and that be great....... brill chance of a medal..........:D

That was the most impressive performance i've seen from him, including his NR in Madrid, that was superb. He was so strong in that secodn 200, training in south africa with the GB lot has clearly paid dividends.

I'm going to predict 45.1 in Doha, thats how impressive that was!

4x400 has to be sent now; Gillick, Gregan, McCarthy and Hogan im guessing. Unless Murphy throws a better time down. The best junior after u20 AAAs (Crowe, Scanlan or Harvey) to go as reserve for experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I think he can run 45.30's in doha and that be great....... brill chance of a medal..........:D

Did he say that he's definately going to Doha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

yep, he's full steam ahead for Doha

BY Equaling 45.52 it means that gillick is the 25th fastest man in the world ever over the distance indoors......
    also 5th on the european all time list...

If gillick could just say run 45.33 , which i think he is capable of after today's performance .. it would put him 11th on the world all time list.... 2nd fastest on european all time list...
    fastest european over the last 22 years.... fastest non-american over the past 22 years....

I'm not getting carried away or anything... and i know it's not all about time's... for example you could have the world record as elena isinbaeva set a world record after clearing no height in berlin... he has a world record from 2009 but no medal... and i know the 400m is not the pole valut but it goes to show figure's are nothing compare to medals...

but these stats do show what gillick is capable of this season indoor's.... show's what a world class athlete he is..:D

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8311&Itemid=2

Looks like Torrin Lawrence (45.03 this season) won't be in Doha as it clashes with the NCAA, so if things stay as they stand it looks like Gillick may be ranked number 1 going into the champs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Brian Murphy ran 48.36 yesterday. A 4 x 400 relay team could be on the cards for Doha.

Well the big performances keep on coming

First Gregan, then Gillick, now young Mark English won the U20 Celtic Cup 800m in a huge all time PB of 1:50.67! Which is inside the standard for World Juniors in Canada. He's still only 16

Good news regarding Paul Robinson who came 2nd in the 1500 in 3:53.88. He mustve been injured having only ran at AAI games and not running in the Seniors so good to see him back competing and in good shape

Rose-Anne Galligan was jsut outside the Doha standard with 4:17.05

Irish contingent in action at the England Athletics U20/U17/U15 Indoor Champs in Birmingham - or AAAs as they are affectionately known;

http://www.athletics-uk.net/england/england_entries_u20i.asp

U20 Men;

60m - Oliver Back
    200m - Lorcan O'Caithan
    400m - Jason Harvey, Tim Crowe, Paul Scanlan
    800m - Mark English, Darren McBrearty, Mark Patterson
    1500m - Paul Robinson (best PB in field), McBrearty, Pauric McLaughlin, English
    (surely the Letterkenny pair will only be competing in one event as they're on the same day? 800 is clearly their preferred distance)
    60m Hurdles - Edmund O'Halloran
    High Jump - Thomas Barr
    Long Jump - Simon Doyle, Stephen Murphy

U20 Women;

60m - Joan Healy, Eilish Fitzpatrick, Catherine McManus
    200m - Steffi Creaner
    400m - Christine McMahon, Claire Mooney
    800m - Ciara Mageean (best PB)
    60m Hurdles - McManus
    High Jump - Cathriona Farrell
    Long Jump - Joanna Mills, Nicola Power
    Triple Jump - Caiomhe King (best PB)
    Shot - Cara Kennedy

U17 Men;

1500m - Andrew Monaghan (best PB), Patrick Monaghan, Ruari Finnegan

U17 Women;

60m - Ann O'Shea
    200m - Sarah Lavin, Ciara Giles-Doran,
    300m - Katie Kirk, Megan Kiely, April Flynn
    800m - Katie Kirk
    60m Hurdles - Lavin, Kiely, Flynn
    High Jump - Sorcha Murphy
    Long Jump - Giles-Doran

U15 Boys;

Shot - John Kelly (best PB)

U15 Girls;

60m Hurdles - Nicole Lavin

Derval confirmed to run in norway at the weekend....
    Also galligan has her last chance to qualify for doha.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=12084

Interesting to note that Renny Quow is part of the three member Trinidad team for Doha, so Gillick mightn't have it all his own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

campbells back:

1 Ryan Gregson NSWIS 3:35.42MA
    2 Collis Birmingham VIS 3:35.89 A
    3 Mitch Kealey QAS 3:36.00 A
    4 Collins Cheboi KEN 3:36.43 A
    5 Jeremy Roff NSWIS 3:36.79 A
    6 Adrian Blincoe NZL 3:38.93 B
    7 David Campbell IRL 3:39.18 B
    8 Brenton Rowe VIC 3:39.68 B
    9 James Nipperess NSWIS 3:41.03
    10 Brett Robinson ACT 3:42.37
    11 Philo Saunders ACT 3:42.46
    12 Nick Bromley NSW 3:46.19
    13 Kane Grimster VIC 3:46.39
    14 Todd Wakefield NSW 3:50.84
    15 James Connor NSW 3:54.50

Was this indoors ???

do you have a link ti the website please ???

• Advertisement

Good early season form.
    Was this indoors ???

do you have a link ti the website please ???

I'd imagine it was outdoors at the Sydney track classic.

According to AAI, O'Rourke has just run 8 seconds flat for 60mh in Norway. Good news and well poised for sub 8 seconds and thus medal territory in Doha.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

great run by derval!!

after a bout of ilness she comes back and runs this...just super!! She's def a medal contender now!

the good news keeps on coming ............Rose-Ann Gallign runs Doha standard in Spain - 4:12.72.

Anybody kknow if derval's time of 8.00 was in the heat or final.. because the athletics ireland website twitter page is confusing...
    http://twitter.com/irishathletics

runjb wrote: »
    great run by derval!!

after a bout of ilness she comes back and runs this...just super!! She's def a medal contender now!

Edit: Beaten to it on Galligan!

We have a full complement going in the women's 1500m and 3000m!

Anybody kknow if derval's time of 8.00 was in the heat or final.. because the athletics ireland website twitter page is confusing...
    http://twitter.com/irishathletics

It was the final. She ran 8.06 in heats.

Christina Vukecivic ran 7.94 for first and a new Norwegian NR.

Ailis McSweeney ran 7.44 for the flat and 11.91 for 100m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Delighted for Galligan and the Derval Get Faster As The Champs Approach Tradition is coming to fruition again.

Why are our women so much better than our men!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Tingle wrote: »
    Why are our women so much better than our men!!!!

Ah, this old chestnut!!

What continues to astound me is how good are women are despite the complete and utter lack of depth in terms of participation.

How do we have a World Class sprint hurdles when we don't have enough people to run heats in hurdles/sprints at nationals??

How much untapped female athletic talent is out there in this country??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

Ah, this old chestnut!!

What continues to astound me is how good are women are despite the complete and utter lack of depth in terms of participation.

How do we have a World Class sprint hurdles when we don't have enough people to run heats in hurdles/sprints at nationals??

How much untapped female athletic talent is out there in this country??
    Ive been doing some secondary schools athletics coaching in the last few weeks as the new PE teacher has given me 4 weeks with each PE class outside the school athletics team i set up last year which is fantastic.So last year all i saw was those interested in athletics but this year i am seeing practicaly every student[bar the ones who have a note from their parents week in week out for a different excuse every week].
    Some of my club athletes attend this school so i expected nobody to be at their level,jeez was i wrong on the girls side especially! In first year alone there must have been 7/8 girls who at present wouldnt look out of place at a national competition.There was one girl who beat a provincial sprint finalist i had last year and she is a year younger;2/3 girls throwing shot well over 8m for the first time,an u14 girl picked up a javelin and flung it close to 30m.Its crazy to think those 7/8 girls and 7/8 boys are probably in every first year group in every secondary school in the country!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lacticsmygame

Scanlon ran a 48.38 to get him to AAA's final tomorrow.

Advertisement