Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Mobile SIM only €14.99 per month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

skilachi wrote: »
    Popped into nutgrove. Done and dusted in 10 mins. Great service

is that for 6 months and it then reverts to £29.99 for the remainder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Has anybody rang Vodafone threatening to port to eir to see if they will try and at least match or give a better offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Has anybody rang Vodafone threatening to port to eir to see if they will try and at least match or give a better offer?

Doubt they would for a pay as you go plan.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

dunleas wrote: »
    Correct. I'm not a BB customer with them. Filled in the request call back on the One big Switch site. Got the call back signed up for 12 Months @ 14.99 per Month.

Thinking of signing up to this offer, can i ask, how have you found the network coverage?
    Im reading things that concern me, but poor coverage is a game changer!

Im paying Vodafone 55 a month for 5GB data, this offer seems to good to be true??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Thinking of signing up to this offer, can i ask, how have you found the network coverage?

Im paying Vodafone 55 a month for 5GB data, this offer seems to good to be true??

I'm living in Cork city and so far the coverage is ok. Not as good as Vodafone though with whom I had 4G+ in many areas.
    I never had WiFi calling before and it is excellent.
    I would say switch and if you are not happy after a month or 2, switch back. It's a rolling monthly contract so you can switch whenever you want.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    I'm living in Cork city and so far the coverage is ok. Not as good as Vodafone though with whom I had 4G+ in many areas.
    I would say switch and if you are not happy after a month or 2, switch back. It's a rolling monthly contract so you can switch whenever you want.

Thanks, i think the rolling contract is for 6 mts and €29.99 thereafter, so would be down money doing that, although still well up on what i pay VF now.
    Think your right, this is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You’re what!!!!

I hope that’s including paying for a handset !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks, i think the rolling contract is for 6 mts and €29.99 thereafter, so would be down money doing that, although still well up on what i pay VF now.
    Think your right, this is the way to go

If you sign up via the OneBigSwitch phone number it's €14.99 for 12 months.(€9.99 if you take broadband at €34.99pm also)

Signing up in store it will be 6 months. Both phone contracts are on a rolling 30 day contract.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

ted1 wrote: »
    You’re what!!!!

I hope that’s including paying for a handset !!!

Yeah, €55 on red plan, its only 5Gb data.!!
    Not sure what you mean by inc handset!?
    I did get iphone 6 on last contract so yes included i guess, but if i want to change and get phone upgrade (i do, iphone is acting up more and more) i will start a new contract and will have to move to €60 a month and depending on phone i choose, pay anywhere from €50 - €400 as a one off payment

Feel im being shafted, but not sure what to do about it!
    Considering calling and threatening to leave, but i dont see that working
    My current contract is about 5 years old, but it was 24 months when set up, iv just not changed

Yeah, €55 on red plan, its only 5Gb data.!!
    Not sure what you mean by inc handset!?
    I did get iphone 6 on last contract so yes included i guess, but if i want to change and get phone upgrade (i do, iphone is acting up more and more) i will start a new contract and will have to move to €60 a month and depending on phone i choose, pay anywhere from €50 - €400 as a one off payment

My current contract is about 5 years old, but it was 24 months when set up, iv just not changed

Ok so for this the contract is 15 sim only. You are paying 55 for the phone and SIM.

Basically they give you a phone and charge you monthly fir it at a higher tariff. You are usually better off getting a sim free phone ( but it yourself out right ) and then getting a SIM only phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

When the 24 months was up, the phone was yours to keep and do as you wished ie switch to PAYG or SIM only or port to another network. You are free to do that now also (after giving a months notice).

This tactic of mobile networks continuing charging the contract rate after the contract has finished is common but anti consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Ten Pin wrote: »
    When the 24 months was up, the phone was yours to keep and do as you wished ie switch to PAYG or SIM only or port to another network. You are free to do that now also (after giving a months notice).

This tactic of mobile networks continuing charging the contract rate after the contract has finished is common but anti consumer.

you can usually downgrade to a sim only plan once you are out of contract with no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I'm fairly sure you need an Eir supplied and supported phone for VoLTE to work. It sounds like you've just put an Eir SIM into your Vodafone supplied phone? This is a SIM-only discussion thread after all.

Can you verify that you've enabled the WiFi calling option as described here: https://www.eir.ie/support/mobile/eir-wifi-calling/

I'm fairly sure you need an Eir supplied and supported phone for VoLTE to work. It sounds like you've just put an Eir SIM into your Vodafone supplied phone? This is a SIM-only discussion thread after all.

Can you verify that you've enabled the WiFi calling option as described here: https://www.eir.ie/support/mobile/eir-wifi-calling/
    The phone does not need to be supplied by Eir but does need to be supported. To get WiFi calling working depends on the installed firmware. Samsung phones for example need the Eir/Meteor firmware but a phone like the Nokia 6.1 does not. I recently purchased the Nokia from Amazon Germany and WiFi calling worked straight out if the box once I had put in the SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ten Pin wrote: »

What else can the network do though? They can't unilaterally switch him to a different contract.

And they always get in touch as you near the end as they want to "upgrade" you, ie tie you into a new deal, so the guy would have known his 24 months were up.

Not sure VF are to blame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Thanks for the detailed info. I've found it tricky to get a straight answer on exact requirements for VoLTE beyond using a carrier supplied phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the detailed info. I've found it tricky to get a straight answer on exact requirements for VoLTE beyond using a carrier supplied phone.

Worth noting that you can reflash a Samsung phone with different carrier (or unbranded) firmware too if you want to. Need a bit of pc knowledge, read the instructions carefully, backup your phone and off you go.

Check out sammobile.com/firmwares if something you think you might want to do, but obviously doing so is at your own risk etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

This offer was due to end on 10th May, but looking at the t&c it seems to have been extended to 24th May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just finished porting number over. Website porting didn't work but got it sorted with the Webchat team. So far so painless. Lets hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

Just a word of warning regarding how atrocious eir customer care is; ported over to this deal midday tuesday, old sim deactivated and new sim working however my original number didnt transfer to the new sim. Over 3 hours to customer care (most of it on hold waiting to get through) and over 48 hours later my number still hasnt transferred. Abysmal service imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

darg wrote: »
    Just a word of warning regarding how atrocious eir customer care is; ported over to this deal midday tuesday, old sim deactivated and new sim working however my original number didnt transfer to the new sim. Over 3 hours to customer care (most of it on hold waiting to get through) and over 48 hours later my number still hasnt transferred. Abysmal service imo

are you using an iphone?

if so you may also need to change the number in your settings "My number"

if you lost service on your old sim the number is unlikely not to have ported over.

They might need to do the port again as my 1st one didn't go through for some reason and repeating it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭A Law

They might need to do the port again as my 1st one didn't go through for some reason and repeating it worked.

Mine took 72 hours. I was going from eir prepay to bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

awful awful service. same problem that i documented in this thread a few pages ago. i had to go crawling back to Three. who gave me back my no. in about 3minutes. ive had bad experience with Eircom before so will never go back to them. i dont know what i was thinking signing up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭corks finest

Told ye

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

m8 wrote: »
    I have BB with them and gave up trying to contact them to get this offer for the wife, sometimes it's just not worth it. Looks good but as soon as my year with BB is up I'm moving as I was unable to contact them in any way except chat where I was told to call them but never got an answer on the phone even after weeks of trying.
    So you're saying it only looks good?

What issues were you having with eir that you needed to call them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

€9.99 if you he broadband with them.
    Our home has BB with eir... not me personally. Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭KildareP

sdraobs wrote: »
    awful awful service. same problem that i documented in this thread a few pages ago. i had to go crawling back to Three. who gave me back my no. in about 3minutes. ive had bad experience with Eircom before so will never go back to them. i dont know what i was thinking signing up with them.

Sounds like they may have put the port through incorrectly.
    With Three, there are still two networks and they need to submit the port against the correct one. If they don't, it will fail. Unfortunately it's a common error, not just on Eir either.

If you were ex-O2 or are on a business account, it has to go through as "O2".
    If you were native Three and not on a business account, it has to go through as "Three".

Could be worse though, you could be with vodafone where you can't even ring up and speak to someone anymore, never mind sit on hold :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

Alledgedly a 'file' error occurred when porting over and have been told it will be completed early next week. Wonderfully vague and cant even get the number to port over to vodafone before the weekend. Completely amateur operation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Trying to port number over....extremely bad service so far. Clueless people on the webchat team giving conflicting information.
    When you sign up on onebigswitch they are quick enough to ring you back to get your bank details though. So far not very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jack67

Trying to port number over....extremely bad service so far. Clueless people on the webchat team giving conflicting information.
    When you sign up on onebigswitch they are quick enough to ring you back to get your bank details though. So far not very impressed.

Yea I ported over yesterday , through the webchat, first person I was on to wanted my account number from previous provider, told him it was a payg sim and I didn't have account number , said he couldnt help me , then I tried to ring help services , waited 20 minutes no one answered and I hung up. i tried webchat again this time I didn't need account number , just provider name ,the phone number I wanted to port and all was good ported over no problem all done in 15 minutes . happy with it so far signal is strong , speed is good and the free eir sports pack works great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This is why i have kept away from this offer and the onebigswitch one, tempting though they are.
    Last year I lost my 12 year old number for almost 2 weeks because of eir porting.
    On top of that it took them 4 months to reimburse almost 500euro they took from my account

Support is unbelievably brutal.
    Stores can do nothing, phone support is non-existant.

The very thought of having to deal with eir if anything goes wrong is enough to raise my blood pressure:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Just as an aside, if anyone has issues with any company's billing you have multiple options instead of talking to that company :

If charges are going through your credit / debit card, contact your bank and raise a chargeback. You'll get refunded by the bank and they'll chase the company for you.

If its a direct debit, you can restrict the amount the company is allowed to take.

havin problems trying to port ny number across...they say hey're sending me the verification code by text but i never receive it. I'm currently with Lycamobile

havin problems trying to port ny number across...they say hey're sending me the verification code by text but i never receive it. I'm currently with Lycamobile

Try calling into an Eir store to do the port.

• Advertisement

After 9am ...I received it so it must have been a problem over the weekend. Must be Mon to Friday possibly.

You are correct. When I got onto online chat to port about a month ago they couldn't do it until the Monday.
    The Eir stores can definitely port at weekends as I did it on a Saturday and got the text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Can you get Eir wifi with this?

I know 30Gb, but for speed and battey sake, be nice to have Wifi hotspots where possible

jeffk wrote: »
    Can you get Eir wifi with this?

I know 30Gb, but for speed and battey sake, be nice to have Wifi hotspots where possible

Yes

All sorted now. Much better speed than lycamobile so far. When i gegistered for myeir my package says 14.99 a month until 2020 and then 29.99 a month thereafter. Must remember to cancel this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 macmansion

Some good information in this thread for anybody thinking of switching to Eir.

My experience is that the coverage is noticeably better that the Three network, although not as good as Vodafone.
    But if anything goes wrong and you need to deal with customer service then watch out!
    I've already taken a case to ComReg this year and am about to start a second one to get small problems resolved. It's truly difficult to convey how inept this company is.

BUT I have still rejoined Eir because this deal is so good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

macmansion wrote: »
    Some good information in this thread for anybody thinking of switching to Eir.

My experience is that the coverage is noticeably better that the Three network, although not as good as Vodafone.
    But if anything goes wrong and you need to deal with customer service then watch out!
    I've already taken a case to ComReg this year and am about to start a second one to get small problems resolved. It's truly difficult to convey how inept this company is.

BUT I have still rejoined Eir because this deal is so good :D

Indeed, my experience with them over the years (as eircom/emobile/meteor/eir) is that the product itself is actually pretty good and competitively priced and specced for what you get.

But their billing/support/back office operations are abysmal! I too have had multiple comreg cases to resolve simple problems.

So, if it all works you'll have no problem and be happy. If anything goes wrong though.....

Do they give notice to virgin or it porting they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭A Law

The request to port is the notice I think. If there's any problems on their end virgin will reject it. If porting to a different network you don't need to give 30 days notice, just if you're cancelling to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Find the speeds massively inferior to Vodafone, but still much better then Three and useable for the most part. Vodafone really do have the best network though. Even things like seamless switching between 3g/4g etc. It's just the best. But I'm going to give this a go considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

i thought vodafone use the three network?

people go on about Ryanair having bad service. but at least with Ryanair if you play by the rules you get a good cheap service. Eir is just awful. i might see if Lycamobile have better offers. they use the Three network so i hope the coverage will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Find the speeds massively inferior to Vodafone, but still much better then Three and useable for the most part. Vodafone really do have the best network though. Even things like seamless switching between 3g/4g etc. It's just the best. But I'm going to give this a go considering the price.

Any idea in numbers how much of a difference please

Ive a week left on Vodafone and finding issues at times with connections and then only 15Gb so looking at moving mostly for data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm currently on an eir sim only contract. Rang the number and the lady said she couldn't help - offered to put me through to Eir Loyalty - 30 mins of Hold music and I eventually hung up....:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm currently on an eir sim only contract. Rang the number and the lady said she couldn't help - offered to put me through to Eir Loyalty - 30 mins of Hold music and I eventually hung up....:-(

If your out of contract just port your no over to prepay (pay as you go) and when that goes through ring to have you signed up and ported to this deal.
    I did similar but I collected a sim from the shop, didn’t cost nowt.
    I collected the sim at 11. Was ported to it by 12, and then signed up to this deal by 1.10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you're on Bill pay, even if out of contract, you have to give your existing network 30 days notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement