Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

• 24-01-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭

Much colder from Sunday evening with heavy showers in a polar maritime air mass turning to sleet and snow from the west. Some thunder/hail is likely occasionally in western parts.

icon4.png

Potential cause of disruption: snow showers
    Areas most at risk: Munster, Connaught, Ulster, North Leinster

Accumulations of between 2 and 5 cms likely particularly across north Connaught and Ulster but all areas are at risk of some snowfall.

Daytime temperatures generally between 0 and 4c. Night time values between -4 and 0c.

Wind chill values anywhere between -8 and 0c between Sunday night and Wednesday afternoon (feeling rawest through Tuesday)

Icey at times and frost in sheltered areas from the wind further east.

giphy.gif

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I would think for the South that Tuesday is the day for falling and pbly lying snow on high ground. It's a 48 hour event but after the Winter so far let's welcome it with open arms!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Love your work....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wow Kermit.de.frog Think I will postpone West-East-West travelling plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You mean... I might after all get to make one last snowman!!!! Oh GEEE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kutebride wrote: »
    Wow Kermit.de.frog Think I will postpone West-East-West travelling plans.

No! :eek: Unlikely to be that disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hope we get to see some nice flickers. All else is secondary to me.

New Moon

Now you have started something that will gather momentum like a snowball rolling downhill!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

:confused:

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Been a while sine I've done some lamp post watching.
    They changed the bulbs in my area to white LED. I'll miss seeing those flakes fall through the yellow glow :(

• Advertisement

What? lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As long as its not flutters! Eh? Eh?

A temporary dusting on the hills of Mayo & Donegal? "Disruption" my eye.

Graces7 wrote: »
    What? lol!

Lamp posts are snow detection devices.

Nabber wrote: »
    Lamp posts are snow detection devices.

Ah OK! Being out in the boonies we don't have such.... sophistications and my outside light is out.... :rolleyes:

Nabber wrote: »
    Been a while sine I've done some lamp post watching.
    They changed the bulbs in my area to white LED. I'll miss seeing those flakes fall through the yellow glow :(

Too true on the new white LEDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

I have a funny feeling this is going to be a good one. Why do I think that? I got roped into a trip to Sweden for 3 days leaving early Sunday morning, and there is no snow on the forecast there, so they probably be loads here and I'll miss it!!

Tee hee know what you mean. Indeed I'm not the best driving cross country during any white wintry conditions. I remember the flash in the pan snow on the M6 March 2019, I think it was Left home (NE Galway) on clear roads. Joined the M6 and it was like a winter wonderland all the way back to parts of Meath with falling snow and still nothing back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Delighted - we've not had anything like the snow the south and east got over the last couple of years - here in Connaught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off to build snowmen.

This is guaranteed isn't it

Ye wouldn't set up a thread and then have rain

I'll take photos of whatever happens and struggle to attach them on boards next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guaranteed for some, maybe for others.

Cheer up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Guaranteed for some, maybe for others.

Cheer up :pac:

Guaranteed for whom, would you say? I'm talking lying snow, couple of usable centimeters, not passing flurries or melting precip.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Guaranteed for whom, would you say? I'm talking lying snow, couple of usable centimeters, not passing flurries or melting precip.

centimeters? I only measure my snow in inches or feet. I'm expecting 2oz per square inch.

lol...

My family in Newfoundland have just been dug out after their houses were buried over the rooves and they were told to restock with food as there is more heavy snow this weekend...

When I say dug out I mean the army dug out a pathway to the door so they are walking between great walls of snow....

Those living on Nephin and other mountain peaks.

pvxnhol.gif

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

right now my guess is it will mostly be cold rain/sleet and flakes on wet ground sort of thing during daylight hours, as temperatures will be not cold enough away from high ground for it to properly settle. I would say the hills of Donegal, Mayo and Northern Ireland most at risk. These charts are still several days out and the GFS tends to overdo the snow potential and are a very rough guide. These tend to downgrade closer to reliable timeframe.

Monday afternoon temperatures:
    75-580UK.GIF?24-12

Monday afternoon precipitation:
    75-574UK.GIF?24-12

Monday night:
    Monday night temperatures:
    90-583UK.GIF?24-12

Monday night precipitation:
    showers crossing from west to east, dying back to the west after midnight, could be snow in them.
    81-574UK.GIF?24-12

This particular chart looks well overcooked for snow potential in the north-east of the country.

Tuesday looks fairly chilly with temperatures between 2 and 5C generally.
    96-580UK.GIF?24-12

Tuesday precipitation:
    Wintry showers across the western half of the country:
    96-574UK.GIF?24-12

Showers dying out Tuesday night and milder air returns during Wednesday.

The gfs is on its own with the coldest uppers tonight. It's a nothing event if ukmo/ecm is correct.
    The gfs usually over does the cold uppers but not always..

If I do see snow (which will be nothing more than shcutter) from this event, it would be the first observed snow this winter for my location, which is extraordinary in itself. I was actually kinda hoping that I could get through this winter without seeing a single flake, just to see if it can be achieved, but I guess climatology will always win out in the end.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If I do see snow (which will be nothing more than shcutter) from this event, it would be the first observed snow this winter for my location, which is extraordinary in itself. I was actually kinda hoping that I could get through this winter without seeing a single flake, just to see if it can be achieved, but I guess climatology will always win out in the end.

not a flake fell here all last winter, at least I can't remember one! We did get some brief snowfall in March one Sunday afternoon. Not a flake this year either. I'll amazed if I see any snow from Monday/Tuesday event.

Gonzo wrote: »
    not a flake fell here all last winter, at least I can't remember one! We did get some brief snowfall in March one Sunday afternoon. Not a flake this year either. I'll amazed if I see any snow from Monday/Tuesday event.

Took a while to get going last year here as well, but did see some on occasion eventually. There was one morning in particular (I forget the date, early Feb i think) when there was a small but all encompassing covering coupled with an extraordinary Alpine blue sky. One of the most beautiful mornings I had seen, and have seen, in a long while.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nothing whatsoever is going to come out of this.

Why?

Because my car is on a full set of new winter tyres, that's why

'Significant weather' chart for next Monday morning from the latest output. Some snow, some rain, some hail, some sleet. A real mixed bag:

DCMIHPl.png

No doubt accompanied by a penetrating, miserable feeling chill that I have never experienced under a true northerly or easterly. There is something about the north Atlantic cold that is just nasty.

New Moon

Even I have a photo from last year of the mountains covered in snow...
    Took a while to get going last year here as well, but did see some on occasion eventually. There was one morning in particular (I forget the date, early Feb i think) when there was a small but all encompassing covering coupled with an extraordinary Alpine blue sky. One of the most beautiful mornings I had seen, and have seen, in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can we hold this off till near the end of the week so that I can get to the snow on the Reeks at the weekend?

Please :)

• Advertisement

Can we hold this off till near the end of the week so that I can get to the snow on the Reeks at the weekend?

Please :)

We can hold it off till next Winter if you're not careful

pauldry wrote: »
    We can hold it off till next Winter if you're not careful

Hail and Shleet with just snow on high ground according to RTE Weather

The 18z gfs is rolling and it keeps the uppers cold enough for snow. Indeed an upgrade if anything! Lying snow more than possible by Monday night

The 18z gfs is rolling and it keeps the uppers cold enough for snow. Indeed an upgrade if anything! Lying snow more than possible by Monday night

But that's the pub run

In the morning it will be as of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Paaahhhh westerly Maritime muck.......sure the only good thing to come out of the whest is the road to Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sideswipe wrote: »
    Paaahhhh westerly Maritime muck.......sure the only good thing to come out of the whest is the road to Dublin Airport:)

fixed that.

pauldry wrote: »
    But that's the pub run

In the morning it will be as of RTE

Not sure what you mean. The 18z is as reliable as any other run particularly in the shorter timeframes.
    Anyways tomorrow will tell us more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

RTE news weather talking about 'snow on higher ground' so I'll just pretend I didn't see this thread to avoid disappointment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking through the charts and the ECM 12Z has 850 hpa charts as low as the GFS 18Z at the moment. Fax chart showing the 528 dam line moving down below Ireland and staying there out to Tuesday. Showers on Sunday in an increasingly cold air mass turning more wintry through the day into the evening . Best chance of snow in the W, NW and N during the passage of a trough later Sunday evening. Charts showing increasing instability Sunday onward over the sea and moving in from the coasts so looks like sending in convective type weather with big hail showers with gusty winds possible in the mix and lightning could show up especially along coastal counties. Bitter cold overnight into Monday and a very cold blustery day with showers to follow , many wintry more so in the Western half of the country and especially along Atlantic Counties. Monday troughs moving down along the Western side of the country could produce longer wintry spells. Hard to call amounts but looks like the W, NW and N getting the most chance of snow at lower levels . No doubt that mountain ranges will get a good plastering and could be tricky road conditions during some of the heavy showers especially from hail and thinking some roads on higher terrain will need close attention along the Western side of the country from later Sunday out to Tuesday into Weds morning.

Big departure from the calm benign week gone by . Windchill will be a factor . Freezing conditions Monday night despite the wind . Looking forward to the sunny spells Sunday, Monday Tuesday with big cloudscapes and white mountain tops , good photo opportunities !

utHMBrI.gif

7YjbR2i.gif

Pr4Rj9D.png

LFtHOWr.png

b4u0KNX.png

wmfSClc.png

KGB5AL7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Not sure what you mean. The 18z is as reliable as any other run particularly in the shorter timeframes.
    Anyways tomorrow will tell us more

Definitely not reliable in the longer timeframes though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hi Res models just coming into view, EURO 4 favours Munster getting some snow Sunday night, HIRLAM not that far yet but the latest run showing some heavy precipitation coming in towards Munster too ?

anim_njh8.gif

euro4_uk1-46-54-0_vsr6.png

anim_klm7.gif

hirlamuk-1-48-0_spm2.png

Time to reinstall Netweather Snow Radar App for a couple of days. Sunday night would be worst time for snow as I'm driving but Monday morning bad too. Cant it snow in the day anymore or are those days over coz we are in the 2020s now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

18Z GFS is snowmageddon for 4 days in most of Ireland. Even more gung ho than usual. Warning: known cold bias!

My immediate assumption is that the supercomputer is on LSD, because there's not a hope of that. Few flakes are possible though. Even probable, for those in the NW or above 250m over the Sunday-Wednesday period.

anim_ptm6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

sdanseo wrote: »
    18Z GFS is snowmageddon for 4 days in most of Ireland.

anim_ptm6.gif

Sorry but where in the animation is there a suggestion of snowmageddon/Armageddon? The GIF suggests nothing more than wintry showers with some snow showers in places, mainly high ground and inland from the north and west coasts. There's nothing at all to suggest anything of significance bar perhaps in areas at an altitude that few people live at.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

highdef wrote: »
    Sorry but where in the animation is there a suggestion of snowmageddon/Armageddon? The GIF suggests nothing more than wintry showers with some snow showers in places, mainly high ground and inland from the north and west coasts. There's nothing at all to suggest anything of significance bar perhaps in areas at an altitude that few people live at.

Am I missing something?

Euro4 at 54hrs shows Clare and high ground in Kerry as the best places to get a covering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement