Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x15 - "Will You Take My Hand" [** SPOILERS **]

Options
  • 12-02-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Did not see one created so dropping this here - won't see till tonight but god dammit did i not just get a spoiler dropped on me from a great height in Facebook. In any case, cannot wait to see and let's discuss if you have. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Very solid episode, not what was expected but it's what I would have expected as a resolution in classic Trek - non-violent answer when the violent way was the easy way out.

But that last 5 minutes :D Absolute stunning take on the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Kind of thought the writers were hedging their bets on whether there would be a Season 2. If it was not renewed, the series would still stand on its own merits. Particularly in the last scene with the metaphorical passing of the baton as Discovery is not the last vessel seen on screen. They also kept it vague as to who the next, permanent Captain would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Handing L'Rell a weapon of mass destruction and letting the Empress go free just seems like a very bad idea.

What happened to the cloaking devices? The Klingon ships were just sitting there in Earth Orbit.

There were an awful lot of aliens on Qo'noS for how xenophobic they were supposed to be.

Any idea who the new captain they're picking up on Vulcan will be?

The Enterprise looks very nice

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Kind of thought the writers were hedging their bets on whether there would be a Season 2. If it was not renewed, the series would still stand on its own merits. Particularly in the last scene with the metaphorical passing of the baton as Discovery is not the last vessel seen on screen. They also kept it vague as to who the next, permanent Captain would be.

I think the decision to renew season 2 was made well in advance of filming finishing on season 1 so they have definitely plans for the Enterprise showing up.

Evade wrote: »
    Handing L'Rell a weapon of mass destruction and letting the Empress go free just seems like a very bad idea.

What happened to the cloaking devices? The Klingon ships were just sitting there in Earth Orbit.

There were an awful lot of aliens on Qo'noS for how xenophobic they were supposed to be.

Any idea who the new captain they're picking up on Vulcan will be?

The Enterprise looks very nice

I reckon season 2 will be about Saru earning the chair.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I reckon season 2 will be about Saru earning the chair.
    I thought that too but if they were to promote him doing it a Starfleet Command seems more likely than sending him to Vulcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

A decent ending to the series. I literally whooped out loud in my seat at the last 2 mins

NCC-17....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

I liked it.
    Nice ending, wrapped up the arc well, restores (mostly) the timeline and leaves enough lose thread for s2.

You heard it here first: Harry Mudd and the Empress - recurring antagonists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Rubbish episode to end what was a very good season to that point. Like tuning into a completely different show. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

i liked it

But....

They rushed the ending of the war, should have been more drawn out i think.

That last scene, excluding the speed holes, i liked it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

Yeah I really didn’t click with this episode at all. Just felt a bit rushed for me and I just didn’t get the whole “We Are Starfleet” stand up scene on the bridge.

HOWEVER! I’m literally still buzzing off the NCC-1701. Don’t care how obvious it is - I loved it. I notice they went with the old style deflector dish in the design too. If we get to see the interior, I hope they don’t pull out the 1960s design like in DS9 and Enterprise - I’m happy for a bit of JJ’s modern take on the interior - minus the flares. I’d like to see Bruce Greenwood too!

Anyone notice Clint Howard playing then Orion than got Tilly high? He must have appeared in pretty much every Star Trek series now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tristram wrote: »
    Rubbish episode to end what was a very good season to that point. Like tuning into a completely different show. Very disappointing.

Me too, thought it was totally naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm equally intrigued and horrified at the idea of them interacting with Spock on the Enterprise (timelinewise I think Discovery is currently around the events of The Cage).

(timelinewise I think Discovery is currently around the events of The Cage).
    It's a few years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It was alright. Let down by too many monologues and a very weak resolution to the war. Nothing we've seen of the Klingons so far allows me to believe that they'd back down without a challenge, which could only result in the destruction of either Earth or Qu'noS. L'Rell held a Padd aloft and they just said "grand so! We'll leave it there". Nah.

And I was expecting a bit more of a punch in the final episode.

Otherwise good though. Particularly those last few seconds :)

So when's it back?!?! And who'll play Spock and Pike and Number One?!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know was i just in a bad mood but it was a bit disappointing especially since the last few weeks were so awesome.
    The rushed okay we have to go on a BIG SECRET MISSION TO FIND A SHRINE and then bam they're all suddenly in the shrine
    The rushed 'and then the war ended MOVING ON'
    Who was burnham giving a speech to? why her specifically? did they all give speeches?
    tilly was awesome. i love you tilly 'i know.. whats happening??'

i thought burnham had a whole I ONLY SEE VOQ thing last week and then despite being traumatised and remembering her parents it's like ah actually you're grand i only see you ash

ah i duno
    meh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

What a load of meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No Axanar?

No Garth of Iser?

Although it makes more sense why the Klingons acted so superior to the federstion in TOS. They literally could have wiped Earth out. Victory was theres if not for a sneaky Terran Geo bomb.

One Q though.

Since the Empress had knowledge of Federation future from the Defiant about the warz surely she knew this was how it ended or was the Federation nearly committed genocide scrubbed from records?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that was complete rubbish.

The producers were clearly not expecting a renewal and so this was written as a series finalé. The odd thing is that either they didn't have time to/chose not to rewrite it, or season 2 will indeed be completely different (as speculated previously with the anthology/Meyer reports)

By it's own standards, that episode was completely at odds tonally with the rest of the season. The neat and instant end to the war, and the "everyone gets promoted and Burnham gets redemption" ending was a cop-out IMO.

And as for the last 2 minutes.. blatant fan service. Sure, the Enterprise looked nice (if too much like the refit/A), but again a complete cop-out. This from a series that specifically called out that it was going to be different. If you are then gonna do classic Trek at the very end then you've kinda undone everything you setup previously.

If this is what all the fuss and controversy before and during was about then TBH it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A gif of those last few moments: https://media.giphy.com/media/xT1R9AqSAFg5IM67T2/giphy.gif

They did a good job here! So fantastic that it's not JJprise, and it looks great! Looking forward to TrekYard's video on this and really looking forward to seeing more of it next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

OH WOW! Did you see that?!!? :eek: :):):):):) :eek:

You didn't?!?!!? Go watch it!!! Don't miss the ending!!! The very ending!

Soooooo coool!!!!!!:)

Slydice wrote: »

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Huh?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I thought it might have been some post credits thing. Don't most people watch until the end credits roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bit of a let down for me but has been a cracking season so not disappointed
    At least the story can go another angle next season which is better than probably drawing out the war if they had known a season 2 was a sure thing before the script was written

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Slydice wrote: »

Dunno what you’re talking about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

My only big criticism is that this could have been a 60+ minute episode, drawing out the conclusion of the war, while still allowing for the epilogue. The climactic scene felt rushed- 30 mins in and it's all over.

They should probably have implied that L'Rell's choices are to deactivate it or trigger it, I just assumed that was the case.

Georgiou is open to return again in the future, nowt wrong with that.

Happy to see the door left open for Tyler and L'Rell too.

That's T'Kuvma's rhetoric, not the high council's line.

T'Kuvma was a purist, this tolerance of mixing is part of the degeneracy he was railing against.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

They could have ended the war so much better, piss poor effort and a huge rush to close everything off. Discovery jumping to location of a cloaked Klingon fleet and annihilating them with their cloaks up would have been a start. They did go to huge effort to get the tech like. The jump to Kronos then to ratchet up the pressure.

Also the Klingons following L'Rell was way too easy, there is a bomb which could destroy us all, follow me or else.

Overall though it was a very impressive season, pacing was a bit all over the place but as a story ark it was excellent. Delivered way more than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

duffman13 wrote: »
    They could have ended the war so much better, piss poor effort and a huge rush to close everything off. Discovery jumping to location of a cloaked Klingon fleet and annihilating them with their cloaks up would have been a start. They did go to huge effort to get the tech like. The jump to Kronos then to ratchet up the pressure.

Not really in keeping with Starfleet or Federation ideals, though?

I can see the JJ Abrams version of Trek doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Great season. Crap finale. Most people have already articulated why.

Hey! Let’s all follow the mad woman with the bomb who threatened to obliterate us all a few moments ago.

Ugh. Nice pre credit ending but the whole Spock and Burnham thing has to be explained.

Advertisement