Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's hardly a precedent - look at Jacob Wohl - he's repeatedly tried to fake crimes, including one where he attempted to implicate Mueller as a rapist and he hasn't even been arrested.

Money talks louder than the law in the U.S.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/30/18044110/robert-mueller-jacob-wohl-jack-burkman-surefire
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/10/jacob-wohl-robert-mueller-sexual-assault-allegations
    https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2018/11/jacob-wohl-s-cack-handed-attempt-smear-mueller-undoubtedly-funny-it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not to mention setting a precedent for this kind of stunt.

Yeah, but it isn't a precedent is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Boggles, don't post in this thread again. I'm sick of you baiting and snidely attacking other posters; and you have been warned about it in other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Don't know if this was posted here but Smollett is also up for a NAACP Image Award this Saturday. And the presenter of the show has said he hopes Smollett wins.

''The NAACP Image Award is an annual awards ceremony presented by the U.S.-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) to honor outstanding performances in film, television, music, and literature.''

Honestly I can't tell what is the truth in this whole story. At first I thought it is a complete scam he has pulled, not to mention an inverted hate crime, but with the absolute brazen response and so on, like as if nothing has happened, it all seems quite odd. Is this the new thing? Not just to wait for the attention span to dwindle but to actually pretend what seems to be the truth is not real? Meh, I'm confused.

Zorya wrote: »
    Don't know if this was posted here but Smollett is also up for a NAACP Image Award this Saturday. And the presenter of the show has said he hopes Smollett wins.

''The NAACP Image Award is an annual awards ceremony presented by the U.S.-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) to honor outstanding performances in film, television, music, and literature.''

Honestly I can't tell what is the truth in this whole story. At first I thought it is a complete scam he has pulled, not to mention an inverted hate crime, but with the absolute brazen response and so on, like as if nothing has happened, it all seems quite odd. Is this the new thing? Not just to wait for the attention span to dwindle but to actually pretend what seems to be the truth is not real? Meh, I'm confused.

If this guy wins an award, I officially give up.

I'm starting to understand what these youngsters mean when they say "I can't even..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Great breakdown of how the charges got dropped.

Justice for some but not for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It is to demonstrate power and to demoralise opponents. To show that Smollett can do this and there is absolutely no consequence. It might be an overreach, too much, too soon, but there is perversely additional cause for him to receive the reward just to show that they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Sand wrote: »
    It is to demonstrate power and to demoralise opponents. To show that Smollett can do this and there is absolutely no consequence. It might be an overreach, too much, too soon, but there is perversely additional cause for him to receive the reward just to show that they can.

Exactly. Its simply a power play from the left. He can do this and still with the possibility of a second investigation they simply give him an award. Circle the wagons and hand out the free pass. The double standards is stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Sand wrote: »

Can see what you are saying but to go there for me would veer towards conspiratorial thinking which makes me wary. Whose power? Who are they? That kind of thing. Though it is all very strange. Is there a possibility that he was not involved in organising the attack?

Exactly. Its simply a power play from the left. He can do this and still with the possibility of a second investigation they simply give him an award. Circle the wagons and hand out the free pass. The double standards is stunning.

I think its incorrect to view this as double standards, or hypocrisy. This implies there is some principle in play that everyone is to be treated equally and held to the same standards. There simply is not.

If a white American actor had faked a racist hate crime upon themselves, they would be held to account for the damage this would do to non-white Americans. At the very least, they would be ostracised. A black American actor has faked a racist hate crime and they will not be held to account for the damage this has done to white Americans. If anything, the notoriety earned from the failed attempt to demonise white Americans will benefit them. The difference is not the action, it is the perpetrator, and by extension the victim.

The defenders of Smollett are not being hypocritical. They are being entirely consistent. You cannot embarrass them by pointing out a hypocrisy to a standard they do not recognise. They do not interpret the action. They interpret the actor. The same people will argue that the next US president should be non-white, but equally be outraged that anyone should argue that the next US president should be white. Four legs good. Two legs bad.

• Advertisement

Can see what you are saying but to go there for me would veer towards conspiratorial thinking which makes me wary. Whose power? Who are they? That kind of thing. Though it is all very strange. Is there a possibility that he was not involved in organising the attack?

There is no need for conspiracy. Just mob mentality. People go where they see the power accumulating. Look at post-independance Ireland. Suddenly the GPO became the Tardis given how many claim their granddad was there in 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It's not complicated, the Smollett family are friendly with Michelle Obama.

Tina Tchen, Michelle Obama's former Chief of Staff contacted State's Attorney Kim Foxx, asked her to help Smollett out and she obliged.

It's all detailed here
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/30/us/jussie-smollett-tina-tchen/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

Boggles, don't post in this thread again. I'm sick of you baiting and snidely attacking other posters; and you have been warned about it in other threads.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

declan2693 wrote: »
    Ah yes once its a liberal doing these acts its grand but if a conservative does your all up in arms.

Anyone, whether they support far right views, or espouse left wing views, should be of the view that this man is a utter scumbag for doing this. The fact he referenced his mother to pedal yet more lies is disgusting. Why does he not demand an apology if he is so innocent. He's a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Do you remember the LA riots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The city of Chicago are suing him.
    The Empire actor continues to maintain his innocence, and refused the city's demand to pay the police overtime costs. The Chicago Police Department calculates that 1,836 hours of overtime were expended in the search for Smollett's attackers, costing taxpayers $130,106.15. Under a city ordinance, the city is entitled to recoup three times its total damages, or about $390,000. The city will also seek unspecified attorneys' fees and costs, as well as a $1,000 fine for each false statement to the police.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/chicago-sues-jussie-smollett-hate-crime-probe-1203187475/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Well this is the gift that just keeps on giving.

The Osundairo brothers are suing Jussie's lawyer for defamation! Let's see what the Obama's can pull out of their hat this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The documents from this whole investigation will be unsealed on June 3rd. Jussie and his lawyers wanted them to stay sealed to protect his privacy but the judge said in his ruling:
    “Smollett voluntarily appeared on national television speaking about the incident in detail. “After the March 26 dismissal, he voluntarily stood in front of cameras from numerous news organizations in the courthouse lobby and spoke about the case. These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply be let alone.”

Well done Judge Steven Watkins.

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/smollett-unsealing-order.pdf

Some of the documents have been released, some details from The Hollywood Reporter. Jussie Smollett is legit crazy.

"The first batch of documents, including the police case file, was unsealed by a judge after FOIA requests by multiple media outlets, including The Hollywood Reporter. The DA’s office released several hundred pages of text messages, emails and court documents.
    Among other revelations, the documents provide new details about Smollett’s attempts to procure drugs from Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, the two brothers who helped him stage and carry out the hoax hate crime.
    “N***a you still got a molly connect,” Smollett texted to one of the brothers in September, a few months before the alleged hoax. “Hahahaha… Imma need a good fo pills Haha.”
    Police files indicate that Smollett paid the brothers repeatedly via Venmo and Paypal for ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana in February, in the days leading up to the staged attack.
    They also reveal a more detailed portrait of the communications between the three men to plan and carry out the hoax. Smollett asked the brothers to meet “face to face” to discuss plans. Police records indicate these details were “corroborated on video and by GPS data.”
    According to redacted police records, Smollett had a “planning meeting” with the two brothers, during which they set the time and details of the attack. Olabinjo Osundairo later told police he deliberately tried not to harm Smollett during the purported attack, only going so far as to rub his knuckles into the actors face to make it look bruised.
    Smollett allegedly feared that the other brother, Abimbola, might hurt him and asked him not to participate in the staged beating. According to one released document, one brother was afraid to escalate the confrontation for fear of being shot by police, further strengthening the allegation that Smollett lied."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/do-new-documents-derail-jussie-smolletts-chance-at-comeback-1215243

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think he is done for now, will be interested to see if he takes down the DA with him.

• Advertisement

More details have been released about this.

Bodycam footage from 2 police officers the morning after the "attack". Jussie is still wearing the noose several hours after he claimed it was forced on him.

And video of the Osundairo brothers in a taxi on the way to commit the "crime". They got a taxi wearing hazmat suits which I got a good chuckle from.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-48754989

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not looking good for him or the prosecutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, he definitely got noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Good! F*ck'em. He should change his name to karma, cause it keeps coming back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The lead investigators name, Dan.k Webb, sounds like an even dodgier version of the dark web.

Not sickened enough by the darkest depths of the dark web? Well try the dank web.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I hope this development gets as much media attention as UK government staff having a Christmas party at their place of work.

Speaking of the UK, Sky's headline on this is a bit odd: "Jussie Smollett: US actor found guilty of staging racist, homophobic attack on himself - but ex-Empire star 'will appeal' verdict" . As if because he intends to appeal there is some doubt about the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Absolutely appalling thing to do and i hope he see's time inside for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say it's rather satisfying to see all these Hollywood frauds exposed and ridiculed.

Advertisement