Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Options

Comments

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/08/jussie-smollett-indictment-police-report-assault

The **** has hit the fan for Smollett with him being indicted on 16 felony counts.

Good stuff. It will probably be the threats and powder in the mail that ruins his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/08/jussie-smollett-indictment-police-report-assault

The **** has hit the fan for Smollett with him being indicted on 16 felony counts.

Time for him to watch 25th hour…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

All charges dropped as of today after an 'emergency court appearance'. The judge granted a motion to seal the case.

This is bloody unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

manual_man wrote: »
    All charges dropped as of today after an 'emergency court appearance'. The judge granted a motion to seal the case.

This is bloody unbelievable.
    Er what the hell.....that makes no bloody sense at all?!
    His career is done anyway.
    What about the other two lads?

Oh actually see the below, still seems mad to me.

According to the Chicago Times it was part of a prosecutorial deal where he has to perform community service and forfeit the $10,000 bond. Not sure if you are "innocent" that you get a deal.....

https://twitter.com/WashNews/status/1110564217957040128

• Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gmisk wrote: »

There was a lawyer at the time that said he couldn't believe the show (press conference) the Sherrif's office put on at the time and that they just prejudiced a jury from giving him a fair trial.

Could be something do with it, is was completely OTT even by American standards TBF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

So basically he bought his way out of jail!

His career is done anyway

Oh actually see the below, still seems mad to me.

According to the Chicago Times it was part of a prosecutorial deal where he has to perform community service and forfeit the $10,000 bond. Not sure if you are "innocent" that you get a deal.....

https://twitter.com/WashNews/status/1110564217957040128

Smells of a giant cover-up to me. Let's not forget that Smollett has friends in high places, in particular in Democrat Party circles. Perhaps invesigations uncovered damaging info on people even more high profile than Smollett?? Or if not, then it would still mean Smollett is getting off essentially scot-free for his evil hoax which could have resulted in riots. A complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hardly. Few months and itll be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Let's not forget that Smollett has friends in high places, in particular in Democrat Party circles.

:confused:

Who?

The only reason anyone really knows him is because of the stunt he pulled, he was a relatively unknown fringe actor whose biggest role was in The Mighty Ducks 27 years ago.

Are you sure your not thinking of Robert De Niro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Payback for trump being cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Effectively this reads to me as; you're a spa who wasted significant police time and resources but if you agree to pay the cost of that, we'll drop the charges and we're "even stevens".

In America, if you're guilty, it helps to be wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You mean the rich Democrat got away with it? Surely not.

Boggles wrote: »

Who?

There's plenty of photos online of him alongside prominent Democrats.

- The Obamas
    - Kamala Harris
    - Maxine Waters
    - Valerie Jarrett

Smollett has been fairly involved in political activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It shows one truth about America, color matters. It's not white, black ect but green.

Many rich men/women get away with **** as in America as long as they pay.

The collateral damage to his career though will be the one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Hahaha what a joke he should be tried for the crimes that he committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lets see....but I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Utter rubbish. I mean the two brothers had a check given to them by your man. Either the prosecutors in Chicago either ballsed up or something or else happened. I mean he had a load of felony charges but it seems his record is clean enough now to eat your dinner off of. Something stinks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Smells of a giant cover-up to me. Let's not forget that Smollett has friends in high places, in particular in Democrat Party circles. Perhaps invesigations uncovered damaging info on people even more high profile than Smollett?? Or if not, then it would still mean Smollett is getting off essentially scot-free for his evil hoax which could have resulted in riots. A complete joke.

I had to go to district court last week to act as a witness. The case was scheduled for just after 10. Waited in court all day and it was postponed till the end of the year due to lack of time.

However i did get to see a full day of district court in action. I've never been to court so it was an education.
    And i saw stuff like this. Judge would ask if the guy had been charged before, ask for details of the offense etc. I saw one poor fecker who had been charged with possession of 5 euro of weed. The guy submitted a drug test, showed he had a job and volunteered a donation to a charity. The case was dismissed.

Now, admittedly, a fiver of weed is nowhere near comparable to making a false report but I did see other cases involving speeding etc that were dealt with the same.

And I believe the patriots owner has got a similar deal. He had to do some community service, attend some classes about prostitution, admit that if it had gone to trial he would have been found guilty and pay a fine.

I don't think this has anything to do with political connections. I think it's just a judge with a busy ticket, a guy with an expensive lawyer and that's it.

Yeah watch for the book and redemption TV show tour where he’s say how difficult it was for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think this has anything to do with political connections. I think it's just a judge with a busy ticket, a guy with an expensive lawyer and that's it.

Agreed. Ultimately, despite his accusations of the type of people he said attacked him and the conflict that could cause, nobody (luckily) ended up being hurt apart from himself. I'd say it just wasn't worth their time and effort to investigate, go to trial etc. A plea deal, sealed (likely agreed to on account of him being a celebrity) closes it out and everyone moves on. His reputation will likely never recover from it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The neck on this guy trying to take the moral high ground, he should be ashamed of himself, obviously he's too narcissistic for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

This guy thinks the charges against him were false?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lets see....but I really doubt it.

He was hardly Hollywood A list. He doesn't have much of a reputation or career to rebuild to get back to where he was.

The Chicago police chief and the mayor aren’t very happy with the decision. It’s a “whitewash” and “this is not on the level” well don’t hold back lads, tell us how you really feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

valoren wrote: »
    Effectively this reads to me as; you're a spa who wasted significant police time and resources but if you agree to pay the cost of that, we'll drop the charges and we're "even stevens".

In America, if you're guilty, it helps to be wealthy.

Ever since the verdict of a certain high profile mid-90s murder trial was read, that’s been very clear. It sickens my tits, but there you go.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    You mean the rich Democrat got away with it? Surely not.

Oh please. Politics has little to do with it. Being wealthy is all that’s required.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m guessing he won’t have to pay people to beat him up any longer. There’ll be more than enough people ready and willing to do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Forget it Jake, it’s Chicago Town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm surprised a deal was done like this. It's very telling that he was still sticking to his story when he was told the police had arrested two men for the faked attack on him. He was perfectly willing to see two white men go to jail for a crime he knew they didn't commit. He only relented when he realised the two men arrested were his actual accomplices. This was not a victim less crime. Like the Covington schoolboys hoax and the Jasmine Barnes hoax, the targets of this race baiting are white Americans. The courts should have sent a message that this is not acceptable. Instead, they have done the reverse. The Twitter mob moves on to the next hoax crime, having forgotten nothing and learned nothing.

All I'll say is that if Smollett ever is actually attacked, he will have an incredibly hard time convincing anyone of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Ever since the verdict of a certain high profile mid-90s murder trial was read, that’s been very clear. It sickens my tits, but there you go.

Oh please. Politics has little to do with it. Being wealthy is all that’s required.

Its a bit naive to think that politics has nothing to do with this considering its on the record that a former senior Obama aide was intervening in the case.

Wonder will there be any follow up to this, I imagine there will be, ending the case this way might have been in the interest of some but it would seem to undermine others in authority, which is why the mayor and police superintendent are on the warpath.

This is a pretty strong statement considering they are all meant to be on the same side
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/chicago-mayor-rahm-emanuel-police-chief-slam-prosecutors-dropping-jussie-n987566

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Unbelievable that the police should be thrown under the bus here, to protect this self serving clown. It's kinda ironic that he faked an attack to highlight how gay black men are persecuted, given that the fact that he is a gay black man is saving him from prison time.

What message does this send to people who might contemplate doing a fake attack of their own? Those two Nigerian lads might be looking at a busy next few months.

Advertisement