Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar sues shop owner after he injured his testicles while robbing the premises.

Options
  • 08-01-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

A shop owner is being sued by a burglar after he injured himself while robbing a premises in Co Cavan.

"On November 13, I got a letter from his solicitor asking me to take all responsibility for the accident. I talked to my solicitor... and he advised me to wait and see.

On Liveline, Joe Duffy said the solicitor letter reads:

"We are satisfied from our instructions that you are responsible for this accident, therefore liable to compensate our client for this personal image loss and damage. We hearby call upon you to admit liability to our client in an open letter within 10 days from the date thereof."
    Kevin said that he contacted the solicitor initially as "it didn't make sense".

"They advised me to contact my insurance.

"My solicitor advised me to hand it over to the insurance company because it's impossible to know what will happen. If I don't hand it over to the insurance company because it could end up in court and if it's settled against you I would be held liable. I just have to wait and see what happens next."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/burglar-sues-shop-owner-after-he-injured-his-testicles-while-robbing-the-premises-36468641.html

I confess, I never understand liability laws like that, he robbed the shop yet he can claim against the guy he robbed? Boggles my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If the shop owner has set up traps or done something negligible then yes, he can be sure regardless of how the incident occured.

A big one from years ago was some of the older generation set glass on the top of their walls when building them, came back to bite many of them in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The solicitor should be ashamed of themselves.

Claim almost certain to fail, as the Occupiers Liability Act imposes a duty of care in respect of visitors only, and the definitions section refers to those on property as of a right...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1995/act/10/section/1/enacted/en/html#sec1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would be demanding an inspection of said testicle and would ask Doc Martin to help with the inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

What a kick in the bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That's nuts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

He has a right pair of stones on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He certainly made a balls up of that robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

He has a right pair of stones on him.

Relevant username

In all fairness though, yer man has some cheek. I hope he gets nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Pity they weren’t torn clean off him. Deserves nothing less.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Was he not wearing trousers?
    Surely he would also be claiming for ripped trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Sounds like a proper odd ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Relevant username

In all fairness though, yer man has some cheek. I hope he gets nothing

I hope he gets five years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Claim almost certain to fail, as the Occupiers Liability Act imposes a duty of care in respect of visitors only, and the definitions section refers to those on property as of a right...

In which case, the solicitor should have known this and be fined for wasting tax payer's money, as no doubt the scroteless scrote is on the free legal scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Hahaha....solicitors and shame are like oil and water

spurious wrote: »
    In which case, the solicitor should have known this and be fined for wasting tax payer's money, as no doubt the scroteless scrote is on the free legal scheme.

Um, what's the free legal aid scheme for civil claims?

I don't follow why the Solicitor should be fined, he hasn't committed a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

If enough damage was done to the testicles, that would be great news for the gene pool at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Can't wait for the movie, "My Left Knack"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there no onus on a solicitor not to behave like a complete f*ckwit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The solicitor here stands to lose money. If the thief loses his case, the solicitor doesn't have much of a chance of getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Right on cue.
    barney 20v wrote: »
    Hahaha....solicitors and shame are like oil and water

I often wonder if most of them are born or bred to be ethically and morally bankrupt ?
    And some wonder why the vast majority of people consider the legal profession to be lower than the pond life they often represent.

Perhaps one of our legal posters can elucidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Pity they weren’t torn clean off him. Deserves nothing less.

Be nice to know that he can’t raise any little scrotes of his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not a chance. They will tell you they are only assisting the claimant and every person deserves to have their rights protected

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Solicitors here now, just like lawyers in the U.S., are incapable of feeling shame. The majority of them feed of other people's misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Not a chance. They will tell you they are only assisting the claimant and every person deserves to have their rights protected

It is still shameless assistance by a solicitor processing this letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Far too late for any decent jokes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Occupiers Liability act is somewhat vague on trespassers, and if the injury was intentional, he'd certainly have a case.
    While he might not have much hope of success in court, its an effective shakedown by the solicitor hoping the greyness might see them offering a settlement, of which he'd take his cut...

Probable:
    Scrote: I wand to sue Mr. Kevin X for ripping my nutsack.
    Solicitor: Right so, as an officer of the court, its my duty to ensure you enjoy your full statutory rights and privileges, ensure justice is done bla bla. They'll be down 600 notes for PIAB before we start, might not like the risk of being out of pocket for 15,000 so they might settle for 14,000. Tis worth the price of a stamp anyway, its the max we'll be down. we've nothing to lose.
    Scrote: money for jam.
    Solicitor: indeed. This is Ireland.

ideal:
    Scrote: I wand to sue Mr. X for ripping my nutsack.
    Solicitor: Where you lawfully there?
    Scrote: No, I was robbing the gaff.
    Solicior: fcuk off then. That'll be 250 consult fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The solicitor here stands to lose money. If the thief loses his case, the solicitor doesn't have much of a chance of getting paid.

And the insurance company for the property owner has to engage it's own legal representative to answer the allegation. If the claimant persists with legal action, it cannot just be ignored otherwise the case will be found against you. The cost of defending this action adds to the insurers costs, which then get reflected in the premiums everyone pays

Advertisement