Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Space X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭greenpilot

silverharp wrote: »
    Thunderf00t ripping into Space X on the basis that it isnt that cheap

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

his real name is Dr Phil Mason , among other things he debunks a lot of startup ideas, he has done a few videos on Hyperloop which I thought were interesting. I cant rate the quality of this video as I know next to nothing about Space X or the financials behind it and he did get some push back in the comments but the questions are reasonable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

They missed the booster landing last night. First time in ages. Not sure why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

They missed the booster landing last night. First time in ages. Not sure why

3 seagulls apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

greenpilot wrote: »
    Who?
    silverharp wrote: »
    his real name is Dr Phil Mason , among other things he debunks a lot of startup ideas, he has done a few videos on Hyperloop which I thought were interesting. I cant rate the quality of this video as I know next to nothing about Space X or the financials behind it and he did get some push back in the comments but the questions are reasonable
    He does that unbearable swallowing and gulping while he speaks that makes him painful to listen to, Jeremy Clarkson does the same thing aswell. His other videos are interesting but my God he repeats himself a lot, he could fit all his main points in a 3 minute video if it wasnt for the repetition. Anything to do with Musk seems to make him a bit irrational like many other people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Sad about the booster, although that's just a sign of how good their track record was, shock at an unplanned loss! Hopefully they figure it out, looks like something wasn't nominal on the entry burn!

I think SN10 static fire is on a short pause because of the cold weather in Texas! Apparently their whole power grid went out with the pressure. A strange world over there.

Hopefully it won't be delayed as long as the gap between SN8 and 9. Think Musk has it at 60% chance of landing this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Shlippery wrote: »
    Sad about the booster, although that's just a sign of how good their track record was, shock at an unplanned loss! Hopefully they figure it out, looks like something wasn't nominal on the entry burn!

I think SN10 static fire is on a short pause because of the cold weather in Texas! Apparently their whole power grid went out with the pressure. A strange world over there.

Hopefully it won't be delayed as long as the gap between SN8 and 9. Think Musk has it at 60% chance of landing this time.

Apparently their whole power grid went out with the pressure. A strange world over there.

Yes Texes relays a lot on wind turbines believe it or not for power. There power system went out because so many people were using it at the same time all in from the cold. I thought it ironic The Texes mayor telling people to be calm if there power is out. Only problem there is there power was out they can not see or hear you miss.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AMKC wrote: »
    Apparently their whole power grid went out with the pressure. A strange world over there.

Yes Texes relays a lot on wind turbines believe it or not for power. There power system went out because so many people were using it at the same time all in from the cold. I thought it ironic The Texes mayor telling people to be calm if there power is out. Only problem there is there power was out they can not see or hear you miss.

The other theory is that Texas isn't on the national grid because then they'd have to bring kit up to national grid specs and that would eat into profits.

Gas shortages for other power stations too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Wind is only about 10% of the Texas grid. Their main problems were with conventional power generation mostly. They have their own grid as they didn't want to have to have Federal oversight.

This video is a good look at what might have happened to the booster:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wind is only about 10% of the Texas grid. Their main problems were with conventional power generation mostly. They have their own grid as they didn't want to have to have Federal oversight.
    Only a sixth of the power lost was due to wind.

Five sixths was due to fossil and nuclear being offline.

And the wind turbines might not have been offline had they been cold weather rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

SN10,
    Road closed and looks to be aiming for a static fire on 22/2 or week of

FAA are ok with SN10 flight, so all go once space X want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6Gz0vJRFE
    Potential static fire for SN10 shortly with chances of flight tomorrow!

Pity it seemed to be scrubbed last night, still don't honestly think it will fly this week - nothing ever seems to go they way they plan. The 'next space flight' app is handy to notify of static fires and everything else.

Ms

jogdish wrote: »
    Pity it seemed to be scrubbed last night, still don't honestly think it will fly this week - nothing ever seems to go they way they plan. The 'next space flight' app is handy to notify of static fires and everything else.

Thanks. I downloaded it very cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Flight restrictions in place for Thursday and Fri, so letting a day to sort of the FTS and checks they would need a good static fire today or Wed.

update: new TFR for Saturday also.

• Advertisement

She fired up. Looked good. Hope so

Always read the T's & Cs

Yet again no-one gives a damn about the Belters.
    SpaceX is asking that those wanting a Martian connection to Starlink "recognize Mars as a free planet and that no Earth-based government has authority or sovereignty over Martian activities."

The rule also applies when in transit to Mars "via Starship or other spacecraft."

SpaceX boss Elon Musk is not messing about, and he'll have the keys to the airlock after all. Still, "disputes will be settled through self-governing principles, established in good faith, at the time of Martian settlement."

"I'm not a space lawyer but you don't need to be one to see that this goes against Article VI the 1967 Outer Space Treaty."

Road closure for 24/2 cancelled, so Im guessing that rules out this week for any flight being realistic (could but doubtful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SpaceX are taking residential customer pre-orders for Starlink.

https://www.starlink.com/

It's pricey. €499 for the equipment plus €61 handling fee. And then €99 per month for the actual service.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

It's pricey. €499 for the equipment plus €61 handling fee. And then €99 per month for the actual service.
    Pricey when you live in a city, or vast majority of Ireland where you are never really that far away ( i know some are ). But then about rual canada/north america then it's dirt cheap compared to what it would cost.

Constellations like starlink and whatever the amazon one will be, could really be a massive game changer for people working from home. Price will fall, but it's a dish in space bound to always be more than the fibre pipe to the door.

namloc1980 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Itx_TUOKA

Nifty little robot satellite too but looks like it'd definitely be suited to remote areas!!

We're very fortunate with some of the internet speeds / limits we have in Ireland compared to some of the yanks..reading reddit people in the states have some rotten speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ps200306 wrote: »

You can pre-order for in Ireland now for go live later in the year. The Black Valley in Kerry is likely to get it sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,384 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sounds like an exclusive or limited rollout
    The new pilot link for the Black Valley is likely, at least initially, to involve just a single household, it is understood, though official sources did not wish to talk about the project.

NASA Awards Contract to Launch Initial Elements for Lunar Outpost
    After integration on Earth, the PPE and HALO are targeted to launch together no earlier than May 2024 on a Falcon Heavy rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The total cost to NASA is approximately $331.8 million, including the launch service and other mission-related costs.

And SpaceX got the resupply gig too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Just saying

Whoever wrote that is wrong. The black Valley did not get electricity until late 78/early 79.

Looks like a good SN10 static fire last night. Aiming for Monday for test flight now. Would love to see it land in one piece

Ms

Looks like a good SN10 static fire last night. Aiming for Monday for test flight now. Would love to see it land in one piece

Brilliant. Me too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The competition is delayed, again. Mr Amazon not putting his money where his mouth is.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/26/bezos_and_branson/
    Bezos' space biz has admitted that the maiden flight of the New Glenn rocket, an orbital-class booster, will be put off again until Q4 2022
    It's not all doom and gloom, though. The BE-4 engine intended for New Glenn should still see action by the end of this year, powering United Launch Alliance's Vulcan Centaur to orbit.

• Advertisement

So SN10 looks set for this week ? I wonder what unforeseen delays will happen, hope it goes up Monday.

...and delayed till Wednesday

Haha, it would be too perfect for em to launch on a Monday!!

Exciting, they've the SpaceX logo painted onto the launchpad, it'd be great to see it land right on the spot.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1367074939317157888

Confusing tweet Elon, won't somebody think of the timezones!

I think it means...we're good for later today?

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1367074939317157888

Confusing tweet Elon, won't somebody think of the timezones!

I think it means...we're good for later today?
    Ugh, Tim (everyday astro) says it means Thursday, and makes sense it can't be starship without and unexpected delay..... and Tim has just deleted that tweet, I have no idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

josip wrote: »

Starship, not Starlink.

Starship, not Starlink.

Can't believe I didn't see that :o

Morto

• Advertisement

Could be the next hour or so, glued to NSF!

They're saying views might be better later in the window so all depends on when they proceed!

15/20 mins to go after a minor blip with a stuck valve

Prop load ongoing

Crossing everythin!!

T-0 for 8.13pm or close..

Excitement

https://youtu.be/DDEgFsefrGw Space X liink

Abbott. 00.00.01

Was more of a static fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

"Sadly the @spacex launch was postponed due to a trespasser."

Roll on tomorrow.

Tomorrow? Nah. (check bottom corner of that tweet https://twitter.com/mbootsman/status/1367212373333925889/photo/1 ) - fake news :pac:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1367213114228318209?s=20

Back in 2 hours folks!

10 minutes til attempt #2 for.anyone watching the thread!

My god!!!! They've only gone and done it

Ms

Woo hoo they done it ye. Well done Spaxe X. Mars is now one tiny step closer for Humans to go to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Woo hoo they done it ye. Well done Spaxe X. Mars is now one tiny step closer for Humans to go to.

Haha... Well it landed temporarily.

Hahaha it still had a little surprise. Oh boy

Bye sn10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ah No :o

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

That was awesome.

It more or less nailed the landing, but the landing legs seemed to have failed.
    Had a bit of a lean and a fire...

then surprise explosion later!

Today had it all, delays, landings, explosions.

worth every minute!

Flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODY6JWzS8WU

Grand finale: https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1367256923075207172

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Beautiful Photos' on Jack's Twitter page

https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer

Mary's Twitter page

https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yeah baby! That was a successful landing despite the RUD at the very end. The 3 raptors re-igniting just before the landing worked, a lot of SpaceX engineers will be very happy this evening.

The initial impact on landing looked a bit rough, that probably caused a fuel leak from the residual amount left in the tank and despite the fire truck's best efforts, it eventually blew. But it was all about the controlled descent and landing which they nailed.

On to SN11.

• Advertisement
Advertisement