Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

sabinaspb wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear back on my DCU postgrad application... Ah the suspense!

Just got the congratulations email so you might hear soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Can i ask what course did you applied for? my first preference was DCU but my second choice offer in tallaght was about to expire and i wasnt going to take the risk losing my second choice and hoping to get my first choice.

Management of Internet enterprise systems

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I only applied 2 days ago and closing date was yesterday I think. So nothing here yet.

Do you need to send them copies of past education certs.? Someone here mentioned transcrips of courses were needed, I dont know what they are.

For UL, when they contact you via email, they will send you a link to complete an application online (on their site) and advise:

YOU MUST UPLOAD ALL DOCUMENTS BELOW IN ORDER TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION:

- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
    - Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
    - Digital quality head and shoulders photograph.
    - A copy of your most recent CV, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work (applies to some courses only).
    - Relevant proof of your status depending on what you filled on the Springboard+ application form (please see attached document title Springboard+ Proof of Status)
    - Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements.

The application online is about six pages - general info about you, your education, info on two jobs and a statement (and the uploaded documents above).

I also applied for courses at IT Carlow and AIT and got emails from both today that my applications are pending. Fingers crossed one of the courses is 'confirmed' soon; I'm leaning towards NUIG though. Has anyone heard if their online/blended part time courses are any good - particularly the management or marketing management courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

Transcripts from every year of study seems a bit OTT no?

The bar seems to be set quite high by some and quite low by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Blizzard wrote: »
    For UL, when they contact you via email, they will send you a link to complete an application online (on their site) and advise:

YOU MUST UPLOAD ALL DOCUMENTS BELOW IN ORDER TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION:

- Photo or Scanned original copy of your transcripts for all years of study. (Graduates of UL need only provide us with their Student ID number.)
    - Photo or Scanned copy of passport to verify ID and full legal name.
    - Digital quality head and shoulders photograph.
    - A copy of your most recent CV, please note that by providing this document you are agreeing that we may send it to members of industry if you require assistance when searching for an Industry Learning Placement (ILE) or project work (applies to some courses only).
    - Relevant proof of your status depending on what you filled on the Springboard+ application form (please see attached document title Springboard+ Proof of Status)
    - Applicants who do not have English as their first language may satisfy English Language requirements.

The application online is about six pages - general info about you, your education, info on two jobs and a statement (and the uploaded documents above).

I also applied for courses at IT Carlow and AIT and got emails from both today that my applications are pending. Fingers crossed one of the courses is 'confirmed' soon; I'm leaning towards NUIG though. Has anyone heard if their online/blended part time courses are any good - particularly the management or marketing management courses?

Its over 20yrs since I did my Diploma. I dont even remember getting results each yr!! I tended to scrape through if Im honest!! Feck I better contact DIT.
    I presume they will know what Im looking for.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Would it be a bit risky picking one in sligo. they might say its online but they might decide to run a few workshops or classes. not an easy place to get to.
    Well when it says it’s online. And zero mentions of having to be onsite. Compared to some of the others who have said its online but when you look it’s only temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Well when it says it’s online. And zero mentions of having to be onsite. Compared to some of the others who have said its online but when you look it’s only temporary.

That is really annoying especially when they have the option of selecting blended learning so you know there would be some classroom work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Look like i got accepted to CIT, had to upload passport and proof of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lan Di

Would it be a bit risky picking one in sligo. they might say its online but they might decide to run a few workshops or classes. not an easy place to get to.

I did this course in 2016. I had travel to Sligo twice in the year for exams/assessments (Jan and May) - staying overnight as they were over two days each time.

Obviously with COVID-19 it may be different this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Lan Di wrote: »
    I did this course in 2016.

How did you find the course? Were you working in IT before or did you move to it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

Hi guys
    I applied for the MA in Creative Digital Media- UX and Interaction Design in TUD weeks ago and my application is still pending. I understand someone on here has been accepted, anybody else? I'm getting so anxious. I contacted springboard, they told me to contact the college which I have done but they have yet to reply. I understand they have a lot to get through but it's driving me mental not having any updates! Has anyone else who has applied for this course heard from them? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chicken foot

Toashty91 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I applied for the MA in Creative Digital Media- UX and Interaction Design in TUD weeks ago and my application is still pending. I understand someone on here has been accepted, anybody else? I'm getting so anxious. I contacted springboard, they told me to contact the college which I have done but they have yet to reply. I understand they have a lot to get through but it's driving me mental not having any updates! Has anyone else who has applied for this course heard from them? :/

Also waiting to hear on my application for an Msc, not in TUD but it does appear that the Msc's take a bit longer than the others for getting back. The cut off for mine was the 31st July, i can see my application has been downloaded a few times so im just going to hang on until the closing date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Hi guys

I’m waiting on this aswell. I’ve been accepted on to another course at another institution but I’d honestly prefer TUD. My acceptance date for the other course is coming up soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I’m waiting on this aswell. I’ve been accepted on to another course at another institution but I’d honestly prefer TUD. My acceptance date for the other course is coming up soon!!

Reach out to the course contact & ask if they a. can let you know asap if possible b. if not, when will all be informed.

I just got a reply!

"All applications received are marked ‘pending’ on Springboard at the moment.

They are being assessed and this won’t be completed until around mid-August.

Then, all applicants will receive an email and the application ‘status’ will be amended on Springboard, to reflect decisions made."

Mid-August. So i don't understand how someone could have already been offered a place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I just got a reply!

Then, all applicants will receive an email and the application ‘status’ will be amended on Springboard, to reflect decisions made."

Mid-August. So i don't understand how someone could have already been offered a place?

TU Dublin were the first to make me an offer out of the few applications I made and they only gave me a week to accept. Luckily for me it was my #1 pick so I was ok. The subject was Science in Computing so not the same situation as yours but still interesting to compare the two. They have been terrible to respond to my emails since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I just got a reply!

I got the same reply.

My other option for a different course has a deadline of the 04/08/20 - I’m not sure what to do!!

Anyone had to get copies of transcripts of results?

If so how did you go about getting them?

I went to Kevin St DIT, Ive tried calling a few numbers but havent managed to speak to anyone yet.

Would admissions have access to results from over 20 years ago do you think?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone done interviews for the courses yet?

What type of questions were you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IndigoStar

Anyone waiting on transcripts from Carlow IT?

Hubby waiting nearly two weeks now for a response and they aren't answering phones or emails.
    He doesn't even remember his student number it was over 25 years ago so we don't even know if he will ever hear back from them.
    It's holding up everything, only a leaving cert required for his chosen course so might just go ahead and apply

• Advertisement

Anyone heard from NUIG?

Anyone heard from NUIG?

My wife has applied for a course there but hasn't heard a thing

Anyone had to get copies of transcripts of results?

If so how did you go about getting them?

I went to Kevin St DIT, Ive tried calling a few numbers but havent managed to speak to anyone yet.

Would admissions have access to results from over 20 years ago do you think?

Thanks

I requested my transcript months ago and they were very quick to reply although they only had to go back 5 years for mine. For TUD there is an online request form to fill out if you want your transcript. I think it's normally 25€ or something to post a copy to you but at the start of lockdown no one was in the offices so they just sent them through email. It should be the examinations office that deal with it.

https://www.dit.ie/studentservices/examinations/requestatranscriptofresults/

I requested my transcript months ago and they were very quick to reply although they only had to go back 5 years for mine. For TUD there is an online request form to fill out if you want your transcript. I think it's normally 25€ or something to post a copy to you but at the start of lockdown no one was in the offices so they just sent them through email. It should be the examinations office that deal with it.

https://www.dit.ie/studentservices/examinations/requestatranscriptofresults/

Thank you. They came back to me this evening with the same link.
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IndigoStar wrote: »
    Anyone waiting on transcripts from Carlow IT?

I applied for a copy of my transcripts from Carlow on 8th July, and just got them in the post at some stage this week (sent to the office, only in today for the first time this week).

Hi everyone... just gotten my email to say I have been accepted into the Springboard that I applied for :D

I am trying not to get my hopes up just yet because it honestly sounds too good to be true...

I have a part time job (in retail) that I've had for over a year. Worked through COVID etc. It says 'dept. of education will pay 90% of fees for those in employment' and so I will be liable for 10% - is this true?? The course has nothing to do with my retail job. Does it only matter that I am employed? Or does it have to be a job within the field of the course??

I presume if they have accepted me they have checked all of this out, since I gave my PPS number and details of the job. But I don't want to believe it yet...

Hi everyone... just gotten my email to say I have been accepted into the Springboard that I applied for :D

I am trying not to get my hopes up just yet because it honestly sounds too good to be true...

I have a part time job (in retail) that I've had for over a year. Worked through COVID etc. It says 'dept. of education will pay 90% of fees for those in employment' and so I will be liable for 10% - is this true?? The course has nothing to do with my retail job. Does it only matter that I am employed? Or does it have to be a job within the field of the course??

I presume if they have accepted me they have checked all of this out, since I gave my PPS number and details of the job. But I don't want to believe it yet...

It doesn't need to relate to your current field, and yes, you pay just 10% :) best of luck!

Would you mind telling us what college you applied to just to get an idea of which ones are making progress through the applications

This is it wrote: »
    It doesn't need to relate to your current field, and yes, you pay just 10% :) best of luck!

Thanks... what a great initiative :) I'm amazed. Just happened to hear about it by chance on the radio.

Would you mind telling us what college you applied to just to get an idea of which ones are making progress through the applications

Apologies for the double post.

It's a post-graduate diploma in NUI Galway, in the business school.

I applied on the 28th and got an acceptance email today.

• Advertisement

Thanks... what a great initiative :) I'm amazed. Just happened to hear about it by chance on the radio.

Yeah, I availed of it years ago and found full time employment. I'm going back in September to upskill. It's incredibly expensive to go back to college so like you said, a great initiative and allows unemployed and employed alike head back to upskill or change career.

Thanks and best of luck with your course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Pity one can't get in as mature student on most of these.

I didn't meet the requirements on any of the ones I was after.

I stay in the my **** job.

FFVII wrote: »

I didn't know they had places listed for mature students or not. Any IT course I looked at didn't specify anything regarding mature students, I'd imagine a large majority of those availing of this will be mature students, considering mature in the eyes of third level institutions is 23...

What courses specify no mature students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Is it because you don't have a L7/L8 in something else?

Congrats. I applied to NUIG on the 12th and still haven't heard from them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Congrats. I applied to NUIG on the 12th and still haven't heard from them :(

I asked them when they might get back to me as I applied on the 30th of June and they said they hope to be back to people next week. I applied for the Diploma in Software Engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no age issue for any of these courses.

There are academic requirements (L7/L8) though and failing that you need to show previous experience, ie. an RPEL, in lieu of your lack of academic qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

What is the difference between a "Springboard" Course and a "Fetch" Course?
    Are they aimed at different
    Employment sectors?
    Ages?
    Past education History?
    The only difference i see are the stock photos on the Fetch home page are of older more mature looking people and the site itself is very business like, whereas springboard is all colorful fun colors and bright so im guessing fetch is for older people plus 30 that never went to college or career change and springboard for people under 30 ?

https://springboardcourses.ie/
    https://www.fetchcourses.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Employment sectors?
    Ages?
    Past education History?
    The only difference i see are the stock photos on the Fetch home page are of older more mature looking people and the site itself is very business like, whereas springboard is all colorful fun colors and bright so im guessing fetch is for older people plus 30 that never went to college or career change and springboard for people under 30 ?

Springboard are courses run by Universities/ITs to a much higher level then fetch. The purpose is to upskill people in areas where there are employment opportunities in the economy. It is not for under 30's, it is for people of all ages. Based on my own experience, the majority would be 35-45. This will be extended by HCI Pillar 1 where full 1 year courses will be available enabling people to meet entry requirements where they did not have them before for 3rd level courses e.g. someone lacking maths for an Engineering Masters.

Springboard and HCI Pillar 1 are very much about career change.

Fetch is not run by Universities. They would not deliver material to as high a standard as Universities. Where Universities are level 7-9, I suspect Fetch is 3-5. They have apprenticeships, traineeships and more basic and fundamental courses compared to Springboard.

I would suspect the students to be older in Fetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notions13

Hey guys! Sorry this might be a long explanation!

I applied for a Springboard course in NUIG on the 22nd of July. Yesterday, 31st July, I got an email from Springboard offering me a place on the course which I was delighted about; went onto my Springboard account and the status of the application had changed to Successful with an Acceptance Deadline of 14th August. Hours later I went back onto my account to double-check the date for the acceptance deadline and my status has now changed from Successful to Draft? Does anyone have an idea of what I should do at this point? Going into the bank holiday weekend I'm not sure if there's anything to do other than wait to see if there's any clarification next week. Part of me is thinking the email sent offering me a place was a mistake which would be so disappointing.
    Thanks everyone

Employment sectors?
    Ages?
    Past education History?

Fetch courses just looks like a centralised hub for Solas (FÁS), FET colleges and ETBs. Essentially doing what Nightcourses does.

"Fetchcourses.ie was developed by SOLAS, the Further Education & Training Authority, in partnership with Education and Training Boards Ireland (ETBI) and other Further Education and Training providers"

Springboard on the other hand is a scheme provided by various educational institutions both public and private to increase learning and upskilling in areas deemed to be of direct value to the economy and Irish jobs market.

Age has nothing to do with either of them as a selection criterion. Well, ignoring that you have to be over 16 to enter FET, which I assume we all are if looking at this. They're both there to help people upskill or even just re-enter education but at potentially different levels/points of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Fetch courses just looks like a centralised hub for Solas (FÁS), FET colleges and ETBs. Essentially doing what Nightcourses does.

"Fetchcourses.ie was developed by SOLAS, the Further Education & Training Authority, in partnership with Education and Training Boards Ireland (ETBI) and other Further Education and Training providers"

Springboard on the other hand is a scheme provided by various educational institutions both public and private to increase learning and upskilling in areas deemed to be of direct value to the economy and Irish jobs market.

Age has nothing to do with either of them as a selection criterion. Well, ignoring that you have to be over 16 to enter FET, which I assume we all are if looking at this. They're both there to help people upskill or even just re-enter education but at potentially different levels/points of entry.

Thanks Bren and Bonnie that is very interesting thank you for clearing that up. The amount of different platforms for someone like me can be confusing. I was wondering why the likes of social studies has been totally ignored by springboard there is Zero on their site for any sort of social studies at all. I guess there is no real intrinsic value in paying for social studies courses. thanks again :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was told i would get an offer for my course in Athlone IT on last week, but no sign of it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Has anyone gotten offers from NCI yet? Finding them maddeningly slow even after trying to contact them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Got an offer this evening from NUIG, the course deadline was 31st July fyi

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cefh17 wrote: »
    Got an offer this evening from NUIG, the course deadline was 31st July fyi

Which course was that if you don't mind? Haven't heard back from them yet, applied for the software engineering one.

tritium wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten offers from NCI yet? Finding them maddeningly slow even after trying to contact them directly.

No. They are the worst college I have ever dealt with ever, from an administrative POV. And I've been to DIT (twice) and BCFE in my time.

Constantly asking for the same documentation over and over again. It's been a nightmare.

I have a place confirmed in CCT and Maynooth for Hdip in Data Analytics. But was holding out for NCI given their blended option suited me better, but I dread to think what they're like from a "learning" pov given they can't open document batches properly.

My mate did the same course the last 2 years PT and had awful hassle with inept course management. I think I'm gonna pass and accept one of the other 2 tbh. Life's too short and college is hard enough with the added stress of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Which course was that if you don't mind? Haven't heard back from them yet, applied for the software engineering one.

Lean and Quality Systems specialist diploma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I got accepted to the Certificate in Computer Programming in DCU on Friday evening

Applied for this too as my first choice and didn't hear anything until yesterday looking for more info. Hopefully that's a good sign, thought since they offered it to others two weeks ago I didn't get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement