Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best areas in Dublin 3/5 for budget of €500k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brisan's posts are very interesting, the difference is amazing on either side of the Malahide roundabout.

From St. Brigids road to the Howth road compared a few metres away on Mask Road. Two different worlds, but that's Dublin for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Brisan's posts are very interesting, the difference is amazing on either side of the Malahide roundabout.

From St. Brigids road to the Howth road compared a few metres away on Mask Road. Two different worlds, but that's Dublin for you.

Have a look at Middle third -the Demesne ,where I am
    Another level altogether
    Brookwood was always desirable
    Mask and older corporation estates less so
    Even when my wife was a child Brookwood was the posh houses
    Being near to the DART and two major bus arteries helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Brookwood posh houses lol, I didn't realise I was posh.
    I always wanted a house in Abbeyfield, it's like being in rural Ireland but you're so close to the city. It's an unusual estate, I can't think of any others like it.

Brookwood posh houses lol, I didn't realise I was posh.
    I always wanted a house in Abbeyfield, it's like being in rural Ireland but you're so close to the city. It's an unusual estate, I can't think of any others like it.

To the OP
    If you can beg steal or borrow the extra throw your eye on this
    its been on the market a while and it has not budged
    Only reason I can think of is only 2 Beds upstairs plus Killester United football ground at the back
    Its turnkey and in a great location,
    Probably a bit of haggling to be done but its top quality
    I bought something similar as a shell on a bigger plot in the area for 550k plus 20k deposit that was paid to builder
    Planning had already been given and I just altered it and added a bit more at the back

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-43a-abbeyfield-killester-co-dublin/2509595

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

2 different worlds ? What do you mean

brisan wrote: »
    Another level altogether

My aunt lives in middle third . Lovely estate . What do you mean by another level altogether though ha . People are so weird when it comes to their houses and locations .

When we were growing up we were told to be careful when we went to my cousin's as it was Donnycarney to my mam and dad

Looking at it now they were prob winding my uncle up

Another level altogether

Middle third is just amazing. Cracking ex-military history too with gardens built for subsistence, growing veg etc..
    2 different worlds ? What do you mean

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, different worlds was an overstatement, I was talking in the past, a long time ago.

Middle third is just amazing. Cracking ex-military history too with gardens built for subsistence, growing veg etc..

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, different worlds was an overstatement, I was talking in the past, a long time ago.

Not offended . I do know the area though . I'm just genuinely curious what people think is the huge difference . What they actually think happens in places like mask ave haha .

I'd hate to see opinions of actual bad places like where I grew up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

1st one was at 535 a few weeks ago when we viewed it.
    3rd one has a site behind it with planning for apartments as far as I know. Access road will be to the rhs. Has been up for months.

We're looking in these areas and everyone's posts are really helpful. We are constantly reframing the goal posts, what we thought was attainable is changing every day. House on rosemount 111 I think was up for 460 ish went sale agreed for 496k. Crazy money for that in the non Dublin world but unfortunately thats the market. Its actually scary.

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/111-rosemount-avenue-artane-dublin-d05y9f7

What's harmonstown like? Seems grand to me...

• Advertisement

Not offended . I do know the area though . I'm just genuinely curious what people think is the huge difference . What they actually think happens in places like mask ave haha .

I'd hate to see opinions of actual bad places like where I grew up

I don't think anything different will happen to me in Mask avenue compared to Brigits road area. It's just the small differences, a slightly more mature feel, older trees in the green spaces, different style housing, less of a grid style plan. Nothing major. Just two different areas very close to each other.
    Harmonstown.

Excellent location close to the coast and the city. Somewhat hidden and ignored with a Dart station.

^^ my quote from 2017!! Still waiting for the Harmo boom!!

3rd one has a site behind it with planning for apartments as far as I know. Access road will be to the rhs. Has been up for months.

We're looking in these areas and everyone's posts are really helpful. We are constantly reframing the goal posts, what we thought was attainable is changing every day. House on rosemount 111 I think was up for 460 ish went sale agreed for 496k. Crazy money for that in the non Dublin world but unfortunately thats the market. Its actually scary.

Jesus that's mad I'd need to be on the hills of howth to be paying that money for that house . Harmonstown is a great location . Houses are old though so may need a lot of work . And check who the neighbours are before bidding. One of my mates bought there a few years ago in lien gardens

I don't think anything different will happen to me in Mask avenue compared to Brigits road area. It's just the small differences, a slightly more mature feel, older trees in the green spaces, different style housing, less of a grid style plan. Nothing major. Just two different areas very close to each other.

I agree with you on all that .

I'd look at Moatfield aswel . A forgotten estate

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

To the OP
    If you can beg steal or borrow the extra throw your eye on this ..
    https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-43a-abbeyfield-killester-co-dublin/2509595
    I pass this frequently on my evening walks (I live nearby) - it's a nice build. I tend to loop around Abbeyfield where I'd have loved a place but there was nothing at the time.
    Seeing as you're in the Demesne, I've definitely passed your house a load of times, whichever one it is *waves*!

I was bringing my bike to Artane Cycles the other day and I walked through Mask Green for the first time in years. It's so nice what they've done around there, the green looks amazing and it looks like the community are really looking after the place. All the houses look great too. Hopefully where I live in Edenmore is heading that way soon, it's funny when I look around I can see houses being done up one after another, it's like watching an area regenerating in Sim City.

Spent a good bit of time around Mask, McAuley park, Brookwood as a teen in the 00s. All very quiet areas then and I’d say even quieter now.

Back over towards Raheny some shocking asking prices for St Anne’s estate. €425k asking for this house that looks like it hasn’t had a lick of paint or maintenance since it was built by Dublin corporation back in the 50s. Granted it has a larger plot due to end of terrace location.

https://www.daft.ie/13147252

That's a bit much alright, I'd love a house in that estate though, so close to the park and so leafy

cisk wrote: »
    Spent a good bit of time around Mask, McAuley park, Brookwood as a teen in the 00s. All very quiet areas then and I’d say even quieter now.

Back over towards Raheny some shocking asking prices for St Anne’s estate. €425k asking for this house that looks like it hasn’t had a lick of paint or maintenance since it was built by Dublin corporation back in the 50s. Granted it has a larger plot due to end of terrace location.

This augments Brisan's post about half a million not getting a turnkey 3 bed in d5 without major work. The potential for that house is amazing in fairness, I live close by and any of the recent purchases are being renovated to a great spec by young people with (obviously) great jobs. They've new cars and they're savvy, smart people that don't have a problem avoiding the D3 Clontarf address!

The village in Raheny is evolving nicely, Bread Naturally bakery & Butler pantry convivial and friendly queues every Saturday morning.

I wish Raheny village could do something about the motorway going through it though, it really divides it i think

• Advertisement

Harmonstown is a great area
    Little or no anti social behaviour
    Every amenity on your doorstep

I'd look at Moatfield aswel . A forgotten estate

A couple there around the 300k mark but would take a few quid (100k )to extend and modernise

cisk wrote: »

Not sure but you may be able to build a 3 bed 100sq mt A rated house in the garden as most have done around there .
    The road facing the tennis courts is a prime example
    That may explain the price
    You could certainly put a hell of an extension to the side and rear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Not sure but you may be able to build a 3 bed 100sq mt A rated house in the garden as most have done around there .
    The road facing the tennis courts is a prime example
    That may explain the price
    You could certainly put a hell of an extension to the side and rear

Right. You're buying a site and a house really.

ixoy wrote: »
    I pass this frequently on my evening walks (I live nearby) - it's a nice build. I tend to loop around Abbeyfield where I'd have loved a place but there was nothing at the time.
    Seeing as you're in the Demesne, I've definitely passed your house a load of times, whichever one it is *waves*!

Houses rarely come up in middle third -Demense
    Most of the time its children of the owner who move in when it becomes available
    i only got mine because the owner was going to extend and modernise it to sell on
    I knew the builder he got and he tipped me off
    The builder said the owner was looking for 50k profit and hoping for no over run on the building costs
    I paid the original valuation which he had in writing plus the 50k plus the builders 20k deposit
    Then changed the plans and got a lot of the internal work done myself
    Builder just extended and left the shell
    I know I overpaid but we were buying our 4th and hopefully final home an an area we always wanted
    Kids still laugh that we have an ensuite living room downstairs with built in wardrobes ( its my den for watching sport at the moment )
    It will become a bedroom when stairs become a struggle
    Handy if one of us have to self isolate but that was never in our original plans
    As I said houses do not come up that often in the area

I wish Raheny village could do something about the motorway going through it though, it really divides it i think

Yeah, it's a monster road, but as church activities decline the side of the road with the chipper is becoming the heart. The Manhattan is a bit isolated across there.

Still can't believe Windsor Nissan haven't sold and moved to Airside or somewhere off the M50.

Yeah, it's a monster road, but as church activities decline the side of the road with the chipper is becoming the heart. The Manhattan is a bit isolated across there.

Still can't believe Windsor Nissan haven't sold and moved to Airside or somewhere off the M50.

I buy my cars off Windsor Raheny
    I buy new every 10 years (low mileage driver )and my wife every 5 years
    Talking to the salesman they have a lot of local customers for sales and especially services,mainly older clients that can drop car off ,walk home and walk back to collect them.or in many cases the garage will drop them home and drop the car back to them
    They would probably lose the vast majority of this business if they left the area

With the raheny inn closed and even when wet pubs open there will be no crowds and no music I wonder how long the lads can continue to pay the lease
    The cock and bull did not last long
    Agreed the Manhattan is isolated but to be fair its 20 yards across the road
    I always wondered how the Mint Cottage stayed open ,its tiny with so few tables

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

‘monster road/motorway’ ? are people delusional? At that church and all along from Howth through main street Raheny and on down to Fairview is a tree lined one lane road with partial bus/bicycle lane that has not widened since they built it in the 1950’s & called the Howth Road. exasperated.

op seems to have entirely dissappeared.

• Advertisement

‘monster road/motorway’ ? are people delusional? At that church and all along from Howth through main street Raheny and on down to Fairview is a tree lined one lane road with partial bus/bicycle lane that has not widened since they built it in the 1950’s & called the Howth Road. exasperated.

op seems to have entirely dissappeared.

I think what the poster meant was that for a small village its a fairly busy road that passes right through it ,same applies to Killester
    From Marino to Raheny in rush hour is not a pleasant drive

Advertisement