Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

NakQuada wrote: »
    Yes, known for a fact. Straight from Imagine Level 2 technician.

Happens to me a lot so I can't even update my games or watch Netflix without getting deprioritised.

Did you dispute it with them and/or get in in writing?
    They can’t advertise a FUP of 1TB and then make that impossible due to a near unusable connection once at 20GB per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

I disputed it with them and they agreed with me that it was a pile of bollocks and that it also made the off-peak usage useless as it adds to your daily quota of 20GB but doesn't add to your monthly FUP.

So, there are two policies in place. The first is a monthly fair usage policy of 1TB and the second is an 'acceptable usage policy' of 20GB a day.
    But the real case is that the metrics are defined on the fly and vary customer to customer depending on previous day/weeks usage.

If you haven't used the net all day and you come home and start downloading, you will be prioritised ahead of other people.

If you've been using it over the day and racked up 9/10GB you will move down the prioritisation list. Once you go over anything from 14/15GB you move into the de-prioritised category.

Once this hits you will retain most of your speed but your traffic will be deprioritised. This can affect things such as gaming, where you end up with latency variation (jitter) and also causes browsing issues like non-responsive web pages, or YouTube videos failing to load/slow to load.

The deprioritisation resets at 12 midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I get some weird dns errors an awful lot lately. When I go to a website I get a dns error and then the page reloads successfully.
    you never figure you being suckered as your request is routed by government and "network" for their benefit
    do you actualy reach "live" site or cached which then fed to you - this aids the fake QOS you find in modems and routers
    so the service providers can line you all up and apportion bandwidth from Their little and near imposssible ability to
    provide a decent servive ==== Hence "upto" is always their get out of jail card.
    the government is engaged in aiding cartel and monopoly in ireland so you ALL will continue to complain
    instaed of what is needed which is direct action. the corrupt thieves will then use garda as you would be making threats.
    Cop on to yourselves you being robbed and accept it as no one able to beat corrutp government\ministers and internet service providers in ireland. Forget ccpc.ie\comreg and ombudsman as toothless with NO power on purpose.
    Only means is for citizens mass withdrawel of payments but you conned into direct debit and contract.
    Catch 22 and you all stupid enough not to see it coming.
    been "protesting" since strat win98 times about the theft by cartel and monopolies supported by corrupt politicians
    yet citizens just too lazy to take note and do anything even getting screwed when Taxpayers telecom system
    given away to private profit and shares with fake value hurt the ordinary citizen aiding the companies with big bank loans to buy
    from small and hold the power.
    This thread as all telecoms threads will go on forever as sad ignorant citizens get ripped off and do nothing except moan
    and seek advice which may help for a few hours but you will be throttled again and again.

jelem wrote: »
    you never figure you being suckered as your request is routed by government and "network" for their benefit
    do you actualy reach "live" site or cached which then fed to you - this aids the fake QOS you find in modems and routers
    so the service providers can line you all up and apportion bandwidth from Their little and near imposssible ability to
    provide a decent servive ==== Hence "upto" is always their get out of jail card.
    the government is engaged in aiding cartel and monopoly in ireland so you ALL will continue to complain
    instaed of what is needed which is direct action. the corrupt thieves will then use garda as you would be making threats.
    Cop on to yourselves you being robbed and accept it as no one able to beat corrutp government\ministers and internet service providers in ireland. Forget ccpc.ie\comreg and ombudsman as toothless with NO power on purpose.
    Only means is for citizens mass withdrawel of payments but you conned into direct debit and contract.
    been "protesting" since strat win98 times about the theft by cartel and monopolies supported by corrupt politicians
    yet citizens just too lazy to take note and do anything even getting screwed when Taxpayers telecom system
    given away to private profit and shares with fake value hurt the ordinary citizen aiding the companies with big bank loans to buy
    This thread as all telecoms threads will go on forever as sad ignorant citizens get ripped off and do nothing except moan
    and seek advice which may help for a few hours but you will be throttled again and again.

I think you're looking for the 'tin foil suppliers' thread mate

I disputed it with them and they agreed with me that it was a pile of bollocks and that it also made the off-peak usage useless as it adds to your daily quota of 20GB but doesn't add to your monthly FUP.

So, there are two policies in place. The first is a monthly fair usage policy of 1TB and the second is an 'acceptable usage policy' of 20GB a day.
    But the real case is that the metrics are defined on the fly and vary customer to customer depending on previous day/weeks usage.

If you haven't used the net all day and you come home and start downloading, you will be prioritised ahead of other people.

If you've been using it over the day and racked up 9/10GB you will move down the prioritisation list. Once you go over anything from 14/15GB you move into the de-prioritised category.

Once this hits you will retain most of your speed but your traffic will be deprioritised. This can affect things such as gaming, where you end up with latency variation (jitter) and also causes browsing issues like non-responsive web pages, or YouTube videos failing to load/slow to load.

The deprioritisation resets at 12 midnight.

Yeah makes sense, I’ll have to warn the missus to layoff the YouTube videos on in background all day while she’s “working”!
    Not sure I have the will to go through the agony of multiple calls and emails with them arguing! Done it before and I’d rather wipe my €@!? with sandpaper than do it again unless the service becomes unusable a lot.

Hoping the NBP wipes this shower out with a bit of luck!

• Advertisement

Donald?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Crey0100

hi,
    quick question, does the 1tb fair usage roll over on the 1st of each month or is it from the installation date?

Crey0100 wrote: »
    hi,
    quick question, does the 1tb fair usage roll over on the 1st of each month or is it from the installation date?
    you not read contract and ask before sign up. this haow you allow rip off.
    Here is another for you lot.
    one (1) irish internet service provider bans use of vpn and warns cut off service if use.
    a world known anti virus etc. company sells their service with vpn included, advertised on tv.
    who that cartoon idiot whom says DUH -

rodge123 wrote: »
    Yeah makes sense, I’ll have to warn the missus to layoff the YouTube videos on in background all day while she’s “working”!
    Not sure I have the will to go through the agony of multiple calls and emails with them arguing! Done it before and I’d rather wipe my €@!? with sandpaper than do it again unless the service becomes unusable a lot.

Hoping the NBP wipes this shower out with a bit of luck!
    Not a hope as already taken issues with NBP and as the rest they will not reply
    as they are part of government aide\supported cartel\monopoly game.
    took issue to EU as EU tax used (percentage) to aid NBP, EU will not
    investigate how the funds used and whether they are "funds" going straight to private
    profit companies. [RUFUS] if you looking at where you can go in case you not know and i help you
    learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Crey0100 wrote: »
    hi,

It rolls over on the first of the month.

• Advertisement

you not read contract and ask before sign up. this haow you allow rip off.
    Here is another for you lot.
    one (1) irish internet service provider bans use of vpn and warns cut off service if use.
    a world known anti virus etc. company sells their service with vpn included, advertised on tv.
    who that cartoon idiot whom says DUH -

just a simple question wasn't expecting such a hostile answer...

Dero wrote: »
    It rolls over on the first of the month.

thanks dero

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Asendor

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I get some weird dns errors an awful lot lately. When I go to a website I get a dns error and then the page reloads successfully.

With regards to those I have seen exactly the same for a few days now. using custom dns servers, I changed between different ones when it happened with no effect. My secondary router (VPN) was also impacted despite using a completely different set of DNS. Outages can be very short (a few seconds) up to several minutes. I managed to run speed checks during some of them and while download speed was between 25-70 upload speed was near death (0.01 at one stage). When I ran another test immediately after (with websites working again) upload speed was back to around 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Asendor wrote: »
    With regards to those I have seen exactly the same for a few days now. using custom dns servers, I changed between different ones when it happened with no effect. My secondary router (VPN) was also impacted despite using a completely different set of DNS. Outages can be very short (a few seconds) up to several minutes. I managed to run speed checks during some of them and while download speed was between 25-70 upload speed was near death (0.01 at one stage). When I ran another test immediately after (with websites working again) upload speed was back to around 1.5

Given your minuscule upload at the time, I would say it was simply DNS timeout errors. Do you remember what your ping times were for those speedtests?

It hasn't happened to me in a long time, but it used to happen regularly at peak times. I suspect in hindsight that we were being de-prioritised at the time. In any case, latency would be through the roof (2000-4000ms) and DNS requests would simply time out before a response was received.

It wouldn't matter what servers you use if it takes too long to get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

For the first time in my 4/5 years with Imagine, I got a "High usage" warning.

My god it's so passive aggressive.

"In fact and reflecting the quality of the service we provide, our average customer data usage at 270Gb per month is the second highest in the market. Clearly given your usage you benefit from this. "

**** off with this ****. I can't wait for the NBP to roll out in my area to get rid of Imagine for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How does one find out any rough dates for when National broadband Ireland plan to roll out fibre to areas? I'm outside Gorey co Wexford and not a big fan of this wireless internet!

Nalz wrote: »
    How does one find out any rough dates for when National broadband Ireland plan to roll out fibre to areas? I'm outside Gorey co Wexford and not a big fan of this wireless internet!

Throw your Eircode in here - https://nbi.ie/

I think they started surveying in Wexford recently.

Wing126 wrote: »
    Throw your Eircode in here - https://nbi.ie/

I think they started surveying in Wexford recently.

Thanks. I'm "Inside Intervention Area", which is good I suppose. I'm wondering if and when we'll get it!?

Thanks. I'm "Inside Intervention Area", which is good I suppose. I'm wondering if and when we'll get it!?

Ah they must not have surveyed your area yet in that case. You could email them and they may be able to tell you more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I'm in the same deployment area as you and there's no indication yet unfortunately. They are surveying the next deployment area beside us at the moment (Ballycarney) so hopefully will move into ours soon but they don't tend to just go from one area into the one beside it.

Also if you're still in the cooling off period for imagine and it's not working out, Whizzy would be a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

We were surveyed in July (10 minutes outside Carlow town) and i checked NBI and we are due to be connected on September-November 2021.

daraghwal wrote: »
    I'm in the same deployment area as you and there's no indication yet unfortunately. They are surveying the next deployment area beside us at the moment (Ballycarney) so hopefully will move into ours soon but they don't tend to just go from one area into the one beside it.

Also if you're still in the cooling off period for imagine and it's not working out, Whizzy would be a good shout.

Imagine is working out for me so far, except the phone which I pushing them on but not annoyed about.

Whizzy and Rocket couldn't install for me in time for work unfortunately. I might try them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

1 year on my speeds have dropped at evening time from 100mb/s to 1 mb/sec. I live in rural mayo so I can’t see how contention could be a factor or is it a case that each vector can only handle a few hundred connections . Only recently 3 of my neighbours connected and since then our speeds have dropped off the scale .
    Trying to get through today but 40 minutes I gave up .
    I dred the thought of going back to eir on but it is looking likely now .

1 year on my speeds have dropped at evening time from 100mb/s to 1 mb/sec. I live in rural mayo so I can’t see how contention could be a factor or is it a case that each vector can only handle a few hundred connections . Only recently 3 of my neighbours connected and since then our speeds have dropped off the scale .
    Trying to get through today but 40 minutes I gave up .
    I dred the thought of going back to eir on but it is looking likely now .

Check your usage, has it been over 20gb a day often? If so, they deprioritise you and you will not get as fast speeds as you used to. Currently experiencing it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Wing126 wrote: »
    Check your usage, has it been over 20gb a day often? If so, they deprioritise you and you will not get as fast speeds as you used to. Currently experiencing it at the moment.

Thanks .
    I’m afraid not . Just checked and once in 2 weeks did it go over 20GB. This morning it’s speed is 25MB down .

Thanks .
    I’m afraid not . Just checked and once in 2 weeks did it go over 20GB. This morning it’s speed is 25MB down .

Hmm, they could have reached the limit on that cell then yeah. I think it's around 400 users.

Anyone on Athy mast? Getting complete disconnects now every 15-20 minutes or so. LTE lights turn off on router and then come back on a minute or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Anyone on Athy mast? Getting complete disconnects now every 15-20 minutes or so. LTE lights turn off on router and then come back on a minute or two later.

Have been getting the same thing for a few days now I'm in Galway. Been hounding Imagine for them to fix it but all I get are promises for call backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

That sounds more like a router issue than a mast one, sounds like the router is rebooting.

• Advertisement

Imagine tech support just looked at it and said some nonsense like "we're going to do an internal reboot on your device, this will fix the 'search cache' and you should be grand going forward"

Advertisement