Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm getting that upgrading itch again lol BUT i'm unsure would I get a big difference to what I have now

My current specs:

Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW G-SYNC Ultra Wide Curved IPS Monitor 3440x1440,
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh White
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum SE, Hydro Series
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4/DDR4 Motherboard
    GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 11GB
    Hard Drive: Corsair MP600 Force Series, 2 TB High-speed Gen 4 PCIe x4, NVMe M.2 SSD
    Hard Drive: Kingston Technology SSD A1000 (SA1000M8/960G) 960 GB
    Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance 32GB
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular,

I plan to get into the 4K some time but maybe when the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti come out so looking at the specs above is it worth upgrading, I want to ready for Cyberpunk 2077 to play at the highest quality:)

That computer is an ancient piece of crap, you should just chuck it in the bin and build a brand new one. On a completely unrelated note, what is your address and what day do you put the bins out???? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Speaking of chair, anyone recommend one that will used for gaming and office work? Have 4 monitors and need one thats comfortable and easy to swivel etc. I have this Ikea one for 8 years and its been amazing. It's started to shed its material now so think its time for a new one
    I have a Herman Miller Aeron that gets used for Gaming & Office work. I can sit in it for hours and hours and I never have any issues. I've suffered a bit from poor posture in the past from too much sitting, but the Aeron has largely corrected that.

They don't come cheap though, although you find re-furbished ones for a good discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

z0oT wrote: »
    I have a Herman Miller Aeron that gets used for Gaming & Office work. I can sit in it for hours and hours and I never have any issues. I've suffered a bit from poor posture in the past from too much sitting, but the Aeron has largely corrected that.

They don't come cheap though, although you find re-furbished ones for a good discount.

Aeron is king if it can be picked up, that's the one thing I miss about working in the office - all chairs were Herman Millers.
    Couldn't find any Aeron in stock for a personal buy..but I managed to pickup a Markus for €85 on Adverts which I'm delighted with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Have an MSI gaming laptop and was looking to build a pc in August. Would build now but the case and motherboard I was looking at is unavailable until then.

Was looking at the NZXT H1 case with b550 mobo, rysen 7 and rtx 2070 super.

Alternatively could build now with something like the NZXT H210i, small case to sit on top of the desk.

Just wondering if its worth building now or should I wait for the new generation of Nvidia cards to make sure one would fit in the small case.

Have a good monitor but it's only 60hrz, it is 4k and hdr though. LG UL850-W, so would prefer not to buy a new monitor.

Suppose I'm just in 2 minds really, building a pc that is reasonably future proof for the first time is working out quite expensive.

Seeing as you have a gaming laptop then i'd wait for the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's.

• Advertisement

Seeing as you have a gaming laptop then i'd wait for the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's.

Do you reckon they will be out before the new consoles in November?

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Do you reckon they will be out before the new consoles in November?

I would imagine around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Speaking of chair, anyone recommend one that will used for gaming and office work? Have 4 monitors and need one thats comfortable and easy to swivel etc. I have this Ikea one for 8 years and its been amazing. It's started to shed its material now so think its time for a new one

I'm waiting on this to arrive. Should be here next week, will let you know what it's like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012C10JJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Have an MSI gaming laptop and was looking to build a pc in August. Would build now but the case and motherboard I was looking at is unavailable until then.

Was looking at the NZXT H1 case with b550 mobo, rysen 7 and rtx 2070 super.

Alternatively could build now with something like the NZXT H210i, small case to sit on top of the desk.

Just wondering if its worth building now or should I wait for the new generation of Nvidia cards to make sure one would fit in the small case.

Have a good monitor but it's only 60hrz, it is 4k and hdr though. LG UL850-W, so would prefer not to buy a new monitor.

Suppose I'm just in 2 minds really, building a pc that is reasonably future proof for the first time is working out quite expensive.

I'd wait for the new GPUs too,if your timeline was august anyway another month or two shuldnt be too bad.

I've money burning a hole in my pocket for a new GPU aswell.

Rest of the build looks good,might even be able to get a good B550 cheaper around the time too as we see more come to market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't call the NZXT H210i small, it's barely smaller than the Riotoro CR1080 / CR1088.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the NZXT H210i small, it's barely smaller than the Riotoro CR1080 / CR1088.

Sure there is smaller out there but it's smaller than your average gaming pc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wait, you'd be mad not too imho.

Got this today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012C10JJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    71JC0zFShUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just put it together. Everything seems to be pretty good quality and it looks great. Feels solid, good weight. Adjustments are great. I can finally get good arm support.

Mesh seems good, strong but flexible tight mesh. Very comfortable compared to my old chair. I've never really used a high end one to compare it to that though.

Couple of minor niggles. The headrest is fine when leaning back into the chair but doesn't do much sitting upright normally.

The lower back support doesn't really flex all the way around your back either but is giving extra support. Will need more time to see how comfortable this is.

Can take a bit for you back to adjust to a new chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Funny enough I just today got a standard office chair myself to replace this gaming one that was gifted to me. Paid about the same from a local office supplier. Less comfy but I can get closer to the desk with the arms taken off it. Made a little video about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BloodBath wrote: »
    Got this today.

I hope you didnt spend 150 quid on it. It was 100 last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Before I watched the video I said to myself how the hell could he remove the arms and be comfortable. But the way your desk is you can go in real close and rest your arms on the counter.

Edit: Seems dear for what it is imo.

Got it from an office supplier who is mainly B2B, so I think their markup might've been higher than normal. But at the same time I think it delivers more than it looks visually. It feels X100 better than those bog standard €20 yokes you see all over the place. Being local I actually got to sit in it and ask questions a few times to the lad there and they delivered it the next day for free. Being able to sit in it, see that the arms were removal and get measurements on them was important to me. I'm 6,3 so ergonomics are always a feckin' nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Funny enough I just today got a standard office chair myself to replace this gaming one that was gifted to me. Paid about the same from a local office supplier. Less comfy but I can get closer to the desk with the arms taken off it. Made a little video about it.
    Before I watched the video I said to myself how the hell could he remove the arms and be comfortable. But the way your desk is you can go in real close and rest your arms on the counter.

Edit: Seems dear for what it is imo.

Seems expensive for what it is.

I have the arms on my Aeron wayyyy down the bottom of their travel so I can slide under the desk. Works a treat.

Robert wtf did you do to that poor monitor?

Hm you think I should return it and get something better then? Like I said I only got it today so it's possible they'll take it back if I bark about it soon.

Also which monitor? 🤣

I hope you didnt spend 150 quid on it. It was 100 last month.

Ouch. I'm happy for the price I paid tbh. A total steal at £100.

What are you using to check the price history?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ouch. I'm happy for the price I paid tbh. A total steal at £100.

What are you using to check the price history?

Keepa plugin for Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have that same t-shirt, Qwertee?

Possibly. It was a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Resurected an old desktop for my wife in the last few days from some parts I had lying around. I let the Intel installer from Gigabyte's website install their Proset wireless software for the motherboard's Wi-Fi card, didn't think any more of it.

But then today, I just checked my Pi-hole VM (which handles all DNS for the house) and I noticed the number of DNS queries had doubled to 50k+ from the usual 25k in a 24hour period. Upon closer inspection, it's pretty much all requests to dapi.ds-intel.net multiple times per minute coming from that Intel Proset software on the desktop I ressurected.

The funny thing is to look at the graph of DNS queries over time, there's a clear jump today at about 8am when that desktop was turned on this morning.

Moral of the story - I'll be paying more attention to Intel wireless card driver installs in future. :pac:

519231.png

Thinking of upgrading again to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WFPHZ8J

61fV-U3hB2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Since it's on sale and cheaper than what I paid for the blue one. Thoughts? The arms look detachable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

For cozy sleep or short rest! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hi guys,

Just encountered some issues today with my PC. Finished a game of GTA, loaded up a YouTube video and came back to it after a few mins. Went to minimise browser and it stopped responding, tabbed to discord, also stopped responding. Whole PC slows down completely so I go to reset it and it takes about 10-15 mins just to start powering off and the same for booting up. Tried to open CMD, Avast etc to run a scan and that also took forever.

Eventually got the scan to complete and the sfc fix CMD in command line, sfc returned some errors and fixed it. Avast and Malwarebytes found nothing. Then I went to run a disk scan using windows own built-in software. About 7hrs on that, so went to boot up gmail but now a new issue where the internet connection has dropped off a cliff. Takes forever to load a website and sometimes will return a DNS error despite there being no problems at all.

Could I be right in saying that this could be a sign of HDD failing? Just a couple mins ago, my PC just completely rebooted all of a sudden too.

Any help appreciated.

Have you got windows running off of a HDD? It could be the drive.

Try a disk checking software like this to scan the drive/s.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

You should have windows running off of an SSD at this stage anyway.

Thinking of upgrading again to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WFPHZ8J

Since it's on sale and cheaper than what I paid for the blue one. Thoughts? The arms look detachable

Would you not be better off getting a new desk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Have you got windows running off of a HDD? It could be the drive.

Try a disk checking software like this to scan the drive/s.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

You should have windows running off of an SSD at this stage anyway.

Yep, Windows is off the SSD and a few programs. HDD is the rest. Can that be run off a USB? Would save me the headache to get the PC to download it.

Must add: got a BSOD earlier when I was running a virus scan. The error code was: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

Fearing it is the drive, just hope it’s not both drives.

Edit: it’s actually going through some windows fix thing, fixing my E drive which is the HDD. 80 hours remaining :pac:

Advertisement