Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to improvement 2012

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Congrats on the 10k!

15 by year end??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

G rock wrote: »
    Congrats on the 10k!

15 by year end??

Thanks! I hope to be close to 15 by year end, but probably won't quite reach it. At the moment my goal is at least 1,100 km per month. If I keep that up I'll be happy.

Garmin data for August 2012

Count:30 Activities
    Distance:1,166.67 km
    Time:51:44:20 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:14,849 m
    Avg Speed:22.5 km/h
    Avg HR:129 bpm

Easy week with one reasonable spin on Saturday. Lots of post-SKT rest otherwise.
    I'm signed up for Into The West on 8th/9th Sept and the Giant's Causeway on 15th. Also hoping to get a new bike soon, but not sure just when that will be.

Mon: 18km commute
    Tue: 35km commute
    Wed: 42km commute
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 96km solo spin
    Sun: Rest

Weekly total: 191km
    YTD: 10,252 km

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Didn't bump into you on the SKT RT66, but you've had some year. My motivation got killed a bit with the demise of the club league, though I have decided to punish myself for being slack by doing the dying sow 300 Audax next weekend.

10k is some amount of miles, and you climbed a hugely respectable amount on your hols, well done.

• Advertisement

I took it handy early in the week, saving myself for this year's Into The West at the weekend.
    I knew from doing the outward part of the route last year that it was relatively flat, so I toyed with the idea of doing it on the single speed. I did a bit of work on the bike earlier in the week to make sure it would be ready. When the weather decided to play ball on Saturday, I was ready to go.
    The gearing is 48x16 so it's a reasonable usable setup for a flat spin.
    Into The West is done in groups, so there's a choice of 5 normally, each with a set speed. I went with group 2 initally as I wasn't sure how the bike/me combo would perform. I found the bike comfortable and smooth so hopped onto the faster group 3 when they came through. On the return trip group 3 was combined with 4 and 5 so we had quite a large and fast group. The group worked well and moved along very nicely until the inevitable race to the finish from 10km out. As the group broke up I found myself wishing I had another couple of gears as I pedaled like a mad thing trying to hang onto the back. Great fun, and a fantastic weekend's cycling. Excellently organised event, and an excellent cause. Looking forward to next year already.
    Next week's plan is to research a new bike, and to do the Giant's Causeway sportive on the 7-speed if I don't get past the research stage.

Mon: Rest
    Tue: 12km messing about on my single speed
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 50km commute
    Fri: 50km commute
    Sat: 151km Into The West
    Sun: 151km Into The West

Weekly total: 414km
    YTD: 10,666 km

Well that was a strange week. It started badly and finished worse.
    On Monday I was all ready to get on the bike for my commute when I discovered an absence of shoes. I had left them at the Into The West the previous day. My 2nd pair being in Italy I had to quickly had to change plans and get the bus.
    With new shoes hastily purchased I got back commuting on Tuesday, but work then screwed everything up and I didn't get a chance to get on the bike again until Thursday.
    Thursday was an odd one with the onset of a head-cold. I felt weak, particularly on drags, and didn't really enjoy my cycle.
    Friday's commute was uneventful, head-cold still making a nuisance of itself though.
    Then came yesterday's Giant's Causeway Sportive. I did this one last year and found it very tough. I had hoped to have a new bike to do it on this year, but that didn't work out so I had to use the old 7sp (all 13.5 kg of it). As it turns out, I don't think it would have mattered if I had the lightest bike in the World. This one just beat me again. I made it around the 1st 100km easily enough, albeit feeling bunged up and generally unenthusiastic. I was out on my own the whole way around and the wind was savage. My nemesis, Torr Head, is at the end of the route and it humiliated me again. There was an option to take an alternative route, but like an idiot I ignored it. The alternative is a 7 mile long steady climb, as opposed to the 5 mile Torr Road climb which has some 20-23% gradients. It has five very very tough inclines. I was going along ok, although I was wishing I had a few more gears, for the first climb at least. I got over it easily enough, and was doing fine on the second of the sharp climbs when my right leg cramped up in a massive way. I had to stop, at which stage my left calf cramped in sympathy. The rest of the cycle was slow, miserable and painful.
    I've done the 160km Tour de Burren and the 160km SKT, and neither is a patch on the 126km Giant's Causeway Sportive for difficulty.
    All in all probably my least enjoyable week's cycling so far. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Tue: 25km commute
    Thurs: 100km
    Fri: 42km commute
    Sat: 126km Giant's Causeway Sportive

Weekly total: 293km
    YTD: 10,959 km

My headcold from last week has progressed and I'm now completely under the weather. Work commitments ensured I couldn't get out much anyway, so just a lousy week all round. My lowest weekly total of the year so far, although that record won't stand long as I'm due to go away next weekend for a couple of weeks with no access to a bike. Might have to go back running for the duration.
    On the plus side, I've decided on my replacement for the Ridley Eos I left in Italy. All going well I should be taking delivery of a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with Shimano 105 shortly. A Bianchi Pista shouldn't be too far behind as my new commuter. I sense a burst of motivation in the near future.

Mon: 50km commute
    Tue: 18km commute
    Wed: 25km commute
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 42km commute

Weekly total: 135km
    YTD: 11,094 km

A quiet week before heading off to Germany for 2 weeks of no bike.

Tue: Rest
    Wed: 52km commute
    Thurs: 35km spin around Howth
    Sat: 50km commute

Weekly total: 187km
    YTD: 11,281 km

Nothing to see here. Stranded in the middle of nowhere without access to a bike.
    The beer not so bad though.

• Advertisement

Finally back on the bike after 2 weeks in Germany eating my bodyweight in pork products washed down with beer. My Raleigh needs repairs so went out on the single speed. Picked up a new Bianchi Pista and making a few little changes before I put it on the road. Looking forward to it. :)

Tue: Rest

Weekly total: 42km
    YTD: 11,323 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

RT66 wrote: »
    Finally back on the bike after 2 weeks in Germany eating my bodyweight in pork products washed down with beer. My Raleigh needs repairs so went out on the single speed. Picked up a new Bianchi Pista and making a few little changes before I put it on the road. Looking forward to it. :)

Mon: Rest Lazy
    Tue: Rest Lazy
    Wed: Rest Lazy
    Thurs: Rest Lazy
    Fri: Rest Lazy
    Sat: Rest Lazy
    Sun: 42km commute Less Lazy

Weekly total: 42km
    YTD: 11,323 km

Fixed that for ya :P

More or less back to normal this week. Still not feeling fantastic, with the remnants of a cold still lingering. My new Bianchi is nearly ready for service, possibly will start using it tomorrow. Meanwhile I've been using the Benotto single speed.

Tue: 52km commute
    Wed: 51km commute
    Thurs: 35km commute
    Fri: 17km commute
    Sun: 25km commute

Weekly total: 180km
    YTD: 11,503 km

Lazy week mostly, but at least I got the new bike on the road. I put a 16t freewheel on it so it's running 48x16 now. Will be changing the front ring for a 50T, possibly even a 52. We'll see. Took it up to Howth on Monday, and for one of the Swords club spins yesterday, but other than that just the few commutes.
    I also got a new cadence sensor, which I'm trying to get working reliably. It worked this morning, but not this evening, so probably just needs a little tweaking.

Mon: 37km Howth spin
    Tue: 50km commute
    Sat: 73km club spin

Weekly total: 252km
    YTD: 11,755 km

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I also got a new cadence sensor, which I'm trying to get working reliably. It worked this morning, but not this evening, so probably just needs a little tweaking.
    If you go fixed rather than Single Speed you would be able to work it out as you go along, based on your speed ...

Beasty wrote: »
    If you go fixed rather than Single Speed you would be able to work it out as you go along, based on your speed ...

As in "my cadence was 85 right up until the moment I went on my arse"? :)
    I've tried running bikes fixed around town and I've come to the conclusion it's really not for me. My maths skillz wouldn't be up to all that arithmetic either.

September
    Count: 26 Activities
    Distance: 1,120.02 km
    Time: 42:43:06 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 6,177 m
    Avg Speed: 26.2 km/h
    Avg HR: 135 bpm

October
    Count: 24 Activities
    Distance: 603.58 km
    Time: 22:57:47 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 1,981 m
    Avg Speed: 26.3 km/h
    Avg Bike Cadence: 73 rpm

Was quite sick this week, so very little cycling.

Mon: 43km Commute
    Wed: 42km

Weekly total: 135km
    YTD: 11,890 km

Still not fully recovered, but back on the bike at least. :)

Mon: 43km Commute
    Tue: 74km commute
    Wed: 50km commute
    Fri: 34km commute

Weekly total: 251km
    YTD: 12,141 km

Not feeling too great at the moment. Think I might be borderline manflu material. All single speed at the moment until I get finished doing a little bit of work prepping the Raleigh for winter.
    Aiming to get a new racer in the next few weeks, so that's something to look forward to. :)

Wed: 42km commute
    Fri: 43km commute
    Sat: 50km commute

Weekly total: 277km
    YTD: 12,418 km

• Advertisement

Still not feeling great, but not ill enough to be off the bike. We're not quite at the manflu stage, yet.
    I had a very lazy week which was only saved by doing the Drogheda Wheelers Louth Coastal Challenge. That put a veneer of respectability onto a seriously despicable week. Broke a spoke on that spin, so changing back to single speed until I get it fixed.
    I had let my Dublin Bike membership lapse but reactivated it last week and got back using it on Thursday. It's probably the most useful card in my wallet. It's a very handy service to have.

Wed: 7.5km pottering around
    Thurs: Did a few unrecorded km on Dublin Bike
    Fri: Lazy
    Sat: Even more lazy
    Sun: 168km including Drogheda Wheelers Louth Coastal Challenge.

Weekly total: 225km
    YTD: 12,643 km

Count: 36 Activities
    Distance: 902.23 km
    Time: 34:11:24 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 3,201 m
    Avg Speed: 26.4 km/h
    Avg Bike Cadence: 72 rpm

Ticking over.

Wed: 24km commute
    Fri: 32km commute

Weekly total: 156km
    YTD: 12,799 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Ticking over.

Wed: 24km commute
    Fri: 32km commute

Weekly total: 156km
    YTD: 12,799 km

13k by the year end. Nice work.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    13k by the year end. Nice work.

Yeah, should have been 14+ but had some interruptions and a few lazy spells. At least I've left myself an obvious goal for next year.

Feck this, I'm off to Zaytoon for a kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Feck this, I'm off to Zaytoon for a kebab.

Didn't know that place existed before 3am in the morning....

Well, I finished with 13,260km, 78km vertical in 517hrs of cycling.
    It wasn't a bad year, but all my silly goals were soon forgotten about and replaced with random activity. :)
    The last few months were very difficult due to travel and illness. Hopefully we'll be back to business as usual soon enough.

Highlights of the year:
    Purchase of a new commuter, a Bianchi Pista steel.
    Mileage achieved. Very happy with the year's total. It's up a couple of thousand on last year.
    Taking the bike on holidays. I managed to get in 860km of cycling on my holidays. This in particular stands out as my most enjoyable day on the bike. I left the bike behind and intend to visit it regularly.
    Commuting speed. Got overtaken just once this year on my commute. In my defence the guy was in full racing gear out on a training spin. I was on a single speed, carrying a rucksack and was spinning out trying to keep up. I will get bigger gears on my single speeds to stop this happening again.
    Racing. I managed to get in a couple of races before the Swords league was called off. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Strava. I have managed to finish the year with 4 strava KOMs in Ireland and a further 10 in Italy. The Italian ones don't really count as Strava hasn't quite taken off in the area I was in. For anyone who wants to have a go, the Irish ones are Pearse Sprint (49.1km/h), North Strand (38.5 km/h), Carrickhill Rd (38 km/h) and Watermill Rd (35.5 km/h). I took Watermill Rd with my last spin of the year. I hope to have a better go at it this year when I get a new bike with gears. :)

Advertisement