Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road to improvement 2012

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Finally back on the bike after 2 weeks in Germany eating my bodyweight in pork products washed down with beer. My Raleigh needs repairs so went out on the single speed. Picked up a new Bianchi Pista and making a few little changes before I put it on the road. Looking forward to it. :)

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 42km commute

Weekly total: 42km
    YTD: 11,323 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

RT66 wrote: »
    Finally back on the bike after 2 weeks in Germany eating my bodyweight in pork products washed down with beer. My Raleigh needs repairs so went out on the single speed. Picked up a new Bianchi Pista and making a few little changes before I put it on the road. Looking forward to it. :)

Mon: Rest Lazy
    Tue: Rest Lazy
    Wed: Rest Lazy
    Thurs: Rest Lazy
    Fri: Rest Lazy
    Sat: Rest Lazy
    Sun: 42km commute Less Lazy

Weekly total: 42km
    YTD: 11,323 km

Fixed that for ya :P

More or less back to normal this week. Still not feeling fantastic, with the remnants of a cold still lingering. My new Bianchi is nearly ready for service, possibly will start using it tomorrow. Meanwhile I've been using the Benotto single speed.

Tue: 52km commute
    Wed: 51km commute
    Thurs: 35km commute
    Fri: 17km commute
    Sun: 25km commute

Weekly total: 180km
    YTD: 11,503 km

Lazy week mostly, but at least I got the new bike on the road. I put a 16t freewheel on it so it's running 48x16 now. Will be changing the front ring for a 50T, possibly even a 52. We'll see. Took it up to Howth on Monday, and for one of the Swords club spins yesterday, but other than that just the few commutes.
    I also got a new cadence sensor, which I'm trying to get working reliably. It worked this morning, but not this evening, so probably just needs a little tweaking.

Mon: 37km Howth spin
    Tue: 50km commute
    Wed: Rest
    Fri: 50km commute
    Sat: 73km club spin

Weekly total: 252km
    YTD: 11,755 km

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I also got a new cadence sensor, which I'm trying to get working reliably. It worked this morning, but not this evening, so probably just needs a little tweaking.
    If you go fixed rather than Single Speed you would be able to work it out as you go along, based on your speed ...

Beasty wrote: »
    If you go fixed rather than Single Speed you would be able to work it out as you go along, based on your speed ...

As in "my cadence was 85 right up until the moment I went on my arse"? :)
    I've tried running bikes fixed around town and I've come to the conclusion it's really not for me. My maths skillz wouldn't be up to all that arithmetic either.

September
    Count: 26 Activities
    Distance: 1,120.02 km
    Time: 42:43:06 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 6,177 m
    Avg Speed: 26.2 km/h
    Avg HR: 135 bpm

October
    Count: 24 Activities
    Distance: 603.58 km
    Time: 22:57:47 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 1,981 m
    Avg Speed: 26.3 km/h
    Avg Bike Cadence: 73 rpm

Was quite sick this week, so very little cycling.

Mon: 43km Commute
    Wed: 42km
    Fri: Rest
    Sun: Rest

Weekly total: 135km
    YTD: 11,890 km

Still not fully recovered, but back on the bike at least. :)

Mon: 43km Commute
    Tue: 74km commute
    Wed: 50km commute
    Thurs: 50km commute
    Fri: 34km commute

Weekly total: 251km
    YTD: 12,141 km

Not feeling too great at the moment. Think I might be borderline manflu material. All single speed at the moment until I get finished doing a little bit of work prepping the Raleigh for winter.
    Aiming to get a new racer in the next few weeks, so that's something to look forward to. :)

Wed: 42km commute
    Thurs: 50km commute
    Fri: 43km commute
    Sat: 50km commute

Weekly total: 277km
    YTD: 12,418 km

• Advertisement

Still not feeling great, but not ill enough to be off the bike. We're not quite at the manflu stage, yet.
    I had a very lazy week which was only saved by doing the Drogheda Wheelers Louth Coastal Challenge. That put a veneer of respectability onto a seriously despicable week. Broke a spoke on that spin, so changing back to single speed until I get it fixed.
    I had let my Dublin Bike membership lapse but reactivated it last week and got back using it on Thursday. It's probably the most useful card in my wallet. It's a very handy service to have.

Wed: 7.5km pottering around
    Thurs: Did a few unrecorded km on Dublin Bike
    Fri: Lazy
    Sat: Even more lazy
    Sun: 168km including Drogheda Wheelers Louth Coastal Challenge.

Weekly total: 225km
    YTD: 12,643 km

Count: 36 Activities
    Distance: 902.23 km
    Time: 34:11:24 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 3,201 m
    Avg Speed: 26.4 km/h
    Avg Bike Cadence: 72 rpm

Ticking over.

Mon: 50km commute
    Wed: 24km commute
    Fri: 32km commute

Weekly total: 156km
    YTD: 12,799 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Ticking over.

Mon: 50km commute
    Wed: 24km commute
    Fri: 32km commute

Weekly total: 156km
    YTD: 12,799 km

13k by the year end. Nice work.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    13k by the year end. Nice work.

Yeah, should have been 14+ but had some interruptions and a few lazy spells. At least I've left myself an obvious goal for next year.

Feck this, I'm off to Zaytoon for a kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Feck this, I'm off to Zaytoon for a kebab.

Didn't know that place existed before 3am in the morning....

Well, I finished with 13,260km, 78km vertical in 517hrs of cycling.
    It wasn't a bad year, but all my silly goals were soon forgotten about and replaced with random activity. :)
    The last few months were very difficult due to travel and illness. Hopefully we'll be back to business as usual soon enough.

Highlights of the year:
    Purchase of a new commuter, a Bianchi Pista steel.
    Mileage achieved. Very happy with the year's total. It's up a couple of thousand on last year.
    Taking the bike on holidays. I managed to get in 860km of cycling on my holidays. This in particular stands out as my most enjoyable day on the bike. I left the bike behind and intend to visit it regularly.
    Commuting speed. Got overtaken just once this year on my commute. In my defence the guy was in full racing gear out on a training spin. I was on a single speed, carrying a rucksack and was spinning out trying to keep up. I will get bigger gears on my single speeds to stop this happening again.
    Racing. I managed to get in a couple of races before the Swords league was called off. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Strava. I have managed to finish the year with 4 strava KOMs in Ireland and a further 10 in Italy. The Italian ones don't really count as Strava hasn't quite taken off in the area I was in. For anyone who wants to have a go, the Irish ones are Pearse Sprint (49.1km/h), North Strand (38.5 km/h), Carrickhill Rd (38 km/h) and Watermill Rd (35.5 km/h). I took Watermill Rd with my last spin of the year. I hope to have a better go at it this year when I get a new bike with gears. :)

Advertisement