Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Who is he ? Her dress is stunning and he looks like a right eejit beside her . His jacket is too tight and as far as I can see he is wearing black shoes with a navy jacket .

Her dress is ridiculous for jaysis sake.
    I've no idea who either of them are also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Casey78 wrote: »

I like her dress for jaysus sake !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Jeggins if I've spelled it correctly. Looked horrendous on 9/10 women, makes women arses look bigger than mine. Ah woman literally has to have the perfect bum for them to look good. I'll be prob slated for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

The GAA.

i could never get excited by a bunch of fellas up the road playing another bunch of fellas further down the road, in what is an overrated game lacking in skill, where the rules seem to change every 6 months.

and then all the attendant 'rivalry' that goes with it. sorry but i literally would not cross the road to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The GAA.

i could never get excited by a bunch of fellas up the road playing another bunch of fellas further down the road, in what is an overrated game lacking in skill, where the rules seem to change every 6 months.

and then all the attendant 'rivalry' that goes with it. sorry but i literally would not cross the road to see it.

wild guess here, rugby fan?

I genuinely have no idea who either of them are. What he's wearing looks awful and it would look awful on some 6 foot tall bronze lithe Adonis.
    Casey78 wrote: »

I mentioned no less than two previous posts who he was. Granted, he looks like an absolute c*nt in that picture but the 'who is he' stuff is fairly used at this stage. I've no idea who yer one is other than his wife but...

Anyone who has had the slightest bit of exposure to Irish sporting matters or current affairs, whether they have had zero to little interest in that sport would know exactly who Philly McMahon is. If you don't know who he is put that down to your own ignorance, or in reality just talking a load of bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The resurgence of West Britism across the country. Fed by revisionists and supposed sportspeople promoting a political ideology. And our old friends in the IT and RTE. The ideology that says British army should be remembered as “participants” in the 1916 commemorations. Barking mad lunacy upheld by groupthink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

If you don't know who he is put that down to your own ignorance, or in reality just talking a load of bollocks.

I had no idea who he was until I googled him just now.
    Ignorant no more :-)

I mentioned no less than two previous posts who he was. Granted, he looks like an absolute c*nt in that picture but the 'who is he' stuff is fairly used at this stage. I've no idea who yer one is other than his wife but...

Anyone who has had the slightest bit of exposure to Irish sporting matters or current affairs, whether they have had zero to little interest in that sport would know exactly who Philly McMahon is. If you don't know who he is put that down to your own ignorance, or in reality just talking a load of bollocks.

Actually I had absolutely no idea who he is and am far from ignorant . Don’t presume we all have the same interest or indeed the same memory as you do
    No need to get yourself all worked up because some of didn’t know Philly whatever his name is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

You seem very upset that people don't know who he is, in keeping with the thread title I don't get that.

Actually I had absolutely no idea who he is and am far from ignorant . Don’t presume we all have the same interest or indeed the same memory as you do

See the way I quoted two people, that was in response to them. I think that’s how it works?

See the way I quoted two people, that was in response to them. I think that’s how it works?

See , i was also one who asked “ who is he “ So I answered your post as is my right

See , i was also one who asked “ who is he “ So I answered your post as is my right

Ye know the way someone says ‘what’s that’ or ‘who’s that’ on a message board and then someone answers? That’s usually the end of who they are, then google might help those that don’t know much about much. Just trying to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Yer man getting married in a pair of tights, no socks, and slippers. Imagine his future children asking him about it when they look at the wedding album.
    "I know son, it's ridiculous, but sure everyone thought it was cool"

Ye know the way someone says ‘what’s that’ or ‘who’s that’ on a message board and then someone answers? That’s usually the end of who they are, then google might help those that don’t know much about much. Just trying to help

Gosh you are very touchy about Philly whatsisname

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think he looks very pale on his wedding day compared to him here. His wedding suit really washed him out.
    Gibson%20All%20Ireland%20Dinner%20Dublin%20Player%207%202.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Bringing food to a finger food and drink event, and the recipients treat it as a personal gift and don't serve it out.

Again ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Now that you say his name I still haven't a clue who he is.

Not a GAA fan tbh. I would only be able to name 1 player and that is Brian Fenton as he lives close to me and won an all star. I know of another Brian from the same area but couldn't tell you his second name. Nor could I tell you the name of any other player or a single hurler (unless Henry Sheflin still plays).
    Ignorance or no interest take your pick.

edit I know Stephen Cluxton aswell actually and
    might recognise 1 or 2 more if prompted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think he looks very pale on his wedding day compared to him here. His wedding suit really washed him out.

Both look well there tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Christmas lights on the outside of a house. Unless you're planning on sitting out in the front garden on a December evening, why bother? You're just putting up decorations for the benefit of others.

Although I suppose the same could be said about mowing your lawn, painting the exterior of your house, washing your car, etc. Equally validly, IM humble O.

Again ?

You ok? Bad aul Xmas? Need a chat? Pm me xoxo.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Transgender for under 18s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    The resurgence of West Britism across the country. Fed by revisionists and supposed sportspeople promoting a political ideology. And our old friends in the IT and RTE. The ideology that says British army should be remembered as “participants” in the 1916 commemorations. Barking mad lunacy upheld by groupthink.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

"have you a link to that"

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Now that you say his name I still haven't a clue who he is.

Not a GAA fan tbh. I would only be able to name 1 player and that is Brian Fenton as he lives close to me and won an all star. I know of another Brian from the same area but couldn't tell you his second name. Nor could I tell you the name of any other player or a single hurler (unless Henry Sheflin still plays).
    Ignorance or no interest take your pick.

edit I know Stephen Cluxton aswell actually and
    might recognise 1 or 2 more if prompted

This entire post reads like it was written while you were stumbling on the way to a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ye but you where very snotty in the answer.Calling people ignorant is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I'd know the name, and what he does, but I wouldn't be able to pick him out in an ID parade. Same with most football, soccer and rugby players. I could probably name half the Irish soccer team, but couldn't put names to any of the faces, especially since the likes of Robbie Keane, Damien Duff and Shay Given retired. And as for rugby, the only player from the last twenty years who I'd have half a chance of recognising if he passed me on the street is probably Brian O'Driscoll.

This entire post reads like it was written while you were stumbling on the way to a bus

Why are you so upset by this?

Thanks for the pm too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

G obshines
    A ttempting
    A thleticism

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The GAA.

Yeah, you don't see any kind of tribalism whatsoever in any other sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

This really pisses me (and plenty more) off at weddings. Last wedding I was at I spent a share of it outside the function room talking to a man in his 80s. Neither of us could hack the volume the band were playing at. I think they must be all on a secret commission from Hidden Hearing.

Might have posted already but you drink more when the volume is high because conversation is difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

People falling into the trap of settling down and getting a mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

dubstarr wrote: »
    Ye but you where very snotty in the answer.Calling people ignorant is just wrong.

Everyone is ignorant about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Who's the fella in the check suit and brown shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah, you don't see any kind of tribalism whatsoever in any other sport.

And at least its a lot more genuine than a fella from Crumlin/Midleton/Tralee who is a die-hard Liverpool/Man United fan. The ones who wear the kit down to the local, shout profanities at the telly (and other fans) for 90 mins, and be insufferable for their duration in the pub, but regard themselves as 'Irish' despite hating the GAA.

On a side note, whenever I see You Never Walk Alone played a funeral over here (and its always seems exclusive to Liverpool fans), I always think they must have lived a fairly mundane life. Imagine, everyone there to say their goodbyes, and the thing that seemingly defines you as a person that will be remembered is the fact that you supported an English soccer team. Strange carry-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

People who apply the label "West Brit" to anyone or anything that doesn't conform with their notions of Irishness/history/how stuff should be done...etc

The desire to emigrate, just hate the idea of living outside of Ireland.

The way some people almost look down on others because they want to stay living where they grew up or move back there when it’s time to settle down - particularly in relation to rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

The desire to emigrate, just hate the idea of living outside of Ireland.

The way some people almost look down on others because they want to stay living where they grew up or move back there when it’s time to settle down - particularly in relation to rural areas.
    Some people always want to leave and others always want to stay, it's just the way it's always been. Some are happy with what they have and others want something more. The problems come when like at Christmas, people come back for a while and they have stories they want to tell about how great their new lives are. The people that moved on changed and so did the people that stayed behind. Sure, people will meet up to catch up but they do it out of habit or obligation, they're strangers now and always will be and that's fine.

Who's the fella in the check suit and brown shoes?

Philly McMahon.
    The same guy as got married a few posts back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Some people always want to leave and others always want to stay, it's just the way it's always been. Some are happy with what they have and others want something more. The problems come when like at Christmas, people come back for a while and they have stories they want to tell about how great their new lives are. The people that moved on changed and so did the people that stayed behind. Sure, people will meet up to catch up but they do it out of habit or obligation, they're strangers now and always will be and that's fine.

something more or something different? just because you leave Ireland doesnt mean you have something more than the guy who stayed in Ireland. the guy who stays in Ireland or even his home town might have a business, a house, a nice car, a family, great friend etc. The guy who moved to australia might be living in a small rented flat, have a poor paying job, no friends etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

pgj2015 wrote: »
    something more or something different? just because you leave Ireland doesnt mean you have something more than the guy who stayed in Ireland. the guy who stays in Ireland or even his home town might have a business, a house, a nice car, a family, great friend etc. The guy who moved to australia might be living in a small rented flat, have a poor paying job, no friends etc
    Something more than what they're used to. I've seen it with a lot of groups of local Milennials they've known each other most of their lives, hung out with the same crowd since they were teenagers, gone to the same parties and the same pubs with the same people and formed tight little groups. Then one day the girls turn 30 and realise that tick tock went the biological clock, they've hit 30 are single and still doing the same old same old and they need to make a change or get left behind. So they emigrate.

There's probably something similar for the lads. Some people are happy with their routine others want out. Nothing wrong with staying nothing wrong with leaving. It's not so much about material things so much as some people feel like they need to leave to fully breathe and be themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

How does he manage to look better in a random photo than he does in his wedding one? You have months and months to look your best at your wedding and he wore an ill fitting suit that displayed his ankles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Bikes without back mudguards, when did mudgoards become so uncool? I was in the National Park in Killarney today, 9 out of every 10 cyclists that passed had no back mudguard and as a result had a spray of mud and pony sh*t (from the jaunting cars) up their backside and back. Do people not see this as a huge messy inconvenience that could be solved with a simple piece of metal?

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How does he manage to look better in a random photo than he does in his wedding one? You have months and months to look your best at your wedding and he wore an ill fitting suit that displayed his ankles :confused:

I'm not sure.
    The guy who dressed him for his wedding defended him for wearing what he wore and put him in for his wedding.
    I think Philly was probally trying to look cool and fashionable for his big day but he may have got it a little wrong in my opinion.
    People always nearly tell brides and sometimes grooms they look great when they try something on no matter how they look.

I'm not sure.
    The guy who dressed him for his wedding defended him for wearing what he wore and put him in for his wedding.
    I think Philly was probally trying to look cool and fashionable for his big day but he may have got it a little wrong in my opinion.
    People always nearly tell brides and sometimes grooms they look great when they try something on no matter how they look.
    So he actually paid a stylist to look that bad? It all makes sense now. People pay stupid money to look edgy and in vogue, but just end up looking ridiculous!

I can understand telling a bride or groom they look fabulous on the day of their wedding (you'd have to be an awful person to say otherwise) but in the run up to a wedding someone should take them aside and have a talk with them.

So he actually paid a stylist to look that bad? It all makes sense now. People pay stupid money to look edgy and in vogue, but just end up looking ridiculous!

I can understand telling a bride or groom they look fabulous on the day of their wedding (you'd have to be an awful person to say otherwise) but in the run up to a wedding someone should take them aside and have a talk with them.

I think it was the owner of a shop or taylor who dresses him.
    I think people just do it to keep them happy. If they say they are happy you go along with it. People nearly start threads if somebody says they don't like there wedding dress in advance of the wedding.

I think it was the owner of a shop or taylor who dresses him.
    I think people just do it to keep them happy. If they say they are happy you go along with it. People nearly start threads if somebody says they don't like there wedding dress in advance of the wedding.
    I get that the bride and groom have their perfect day and no one gets to say anything bad etc etc but how on earth do two people get it so wrong? No one on this thread seems to know who they are but everyone thinks his suit is awful. It wouldn't be as bad if it covered his ankles but there is so much wrong with it. And I get the impression that this is a couple who want attention.

I get that the bride and groom have their perfect day and no one gets to say anything bad etc etc but how on earth do two people get it so wrong? No one on this thread seems to know who they are but everyone thinks his suit is awful. It wouldn't be as bad if it covered his ankles but there is so much wrong with it. And I get the impression that this is a couple who want attention.

I'd actually wouldn't be a tad sporty but I'd know who he is but I didn't really know him in his wedding photo.
    I know some guys who tired to do similar and they were generally just trying to be cool and popular sometimes hoping to set a trend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement