Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

idiots who think they own the road in their lorries

Options
  • 26-05-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

a close relation of mine in her early 70's was in her yaris yesterday coming from shopping and pulled out from a junction and approaching the 30mph zone up ahead when an arctic truck come up behind her and was right up on her bumper, he actually increased his speed to get up on her tail, swinging in left and then right and tight up behind her, she was really scared, was northern reg, she did not get the full reg and really frightened her that she does not want to go out driving now asking us to pick up some things from the shop from her.
    A proper cu*t this guy was and I would take the head clean off his shoulders if I had got hold of him,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

mph - so 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kincaid wrote: »
    a close relation of mine in her early 70's was in her yaris yesterday coming from shopping and pulled out from a junction and approaching the 30mph zone up ahead when an arctic truck come up behind her and was right up on her bumper, he actually increased his speed to get up on her tail, swinging in left and then right and tight up behind her, she was really scared, was northern reg, she did not get the full reg and really frightened her that she does not want to go out driving now asking us to pick up some things from the shop from her.
    A proper cu*t this guy was and I would take the head clean off his shoulders if I had got hold of him,

What exactly did he do that is illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Kincaid's been putting in the rounds

kMrjzdG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

sounds like he jammed on trying not to go through the back of her

did she not see the truck when she pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was driving around the M50 today, coming towards the Dundrum exit southbound. I was in the middle lane doing about 105kph passing an Artic in the inner lane.

Saw an older woman in a SUV sitting on the hard shoulder just ahead. She put the indicator on and inched forward, stopped, then the stupid ****ing bitch pulled right out in front of the Artic. I had to swerve right to give the Artic somewhere to go, we are all blessed that there wasn't anybody coming past us in the overtaking lane at the time.

You say the big bad truck sped up to catch the old dear in the OP? Yeah, sure. Trucks with their speed limiters are notorious for catching up to people all right. Why not be honest, the old woman pulled out from the junction in front of the truck without giving enough room and then toddled along well below the speed limit and acting like a rolling roadblock. OP should save the hard man act I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That sucks OP, hope she feel better about it soon.
    Bet the lorry driver wouldn't have been a douche if it was a Mercedes in front of him instead of a Yaris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Southern cars often act arrogantly in my land too, overtaking you when you are already driving over the speed limit. I always curse them as I know northern people are always getting abused in south so they deserve it. "Who does this southerner think he is" is what usually comes out or "donegal clown" or "what's a Cork car doing here"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

In my experience truck and lorry drivers are some of the best out there. They drive for a living and have to be far more aware of what’s around them to avoid hitting anything. They can’t accelerate as fast or stop as quickly so are far more aware of their speeds. I’d rather be behind a truck than a 70 year old any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sounds like your relation got a fright when she realised she didn’t own the road herself tbh.

Some people don’t realise that the onus is on them to be aware that there are other people who use the roads besides themselves, and there are idiots of every description commandeering all sorts of vehicles and bikes and pedestrians.

The idea of a lorry driver speeding up to bumper check a car? Why would they? Does that honestly make any sense to you? From their higher vantage point they have a better overview of the roads than drivers in cars for a start, and they aren’t likely to risk their insurance and put their livelihood in jeopardy just to put the wind up a Yaris driver :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was driving around the M50 today, coming towards the Dundrum exit southbound. I was in the middle lane doing about 105kph passing an Artic in the inner lane.

Saw an older woman in a SUV sitting on the hard shoulder just ahead. She put the indicator on and inched forward, stopped, then the stupid ****ing bitch pulled right out in front of the Artic. I had to swerve right to give the Artic somewhere to go, we are all blessed that there wasn't anybody coming past us in the overtaking lane at the time.

You say the big bad truck sped up to catch the old dear in the OP? Yeah, sure. Trucks with their speed limiters are notorious for catching up to people all right. Why not be honest, the old woman pulled out from the junction in front of the truck without giving enough room and then toddled along well below the speed limit and acting like a rolling roadblock. OP should save the hard man act I suspect.

Plenty of trucks out there with limiters disabled. With a light load, they can get quite a bit of speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sounds like your relation got a fright when she realised she didn’t own the road herself tbh.

Some people don’t realise that the onus is on them to be aware that there are other people who use the roads besides themselves, and there are idiots of every description commandeering all sorts of vehicles and bikes and pedestrians.

The idea of a lorry driver speeding up to bumper check a car? Why would they? Does that honestly make any sense to you? From their higher vantage point they have a better overview of the roads than drivers in cars for a start, and they aren’t likely to risk their insurance and put their livelihood in jeopardy just to put the wind up a Yaris driver :pac:

I've had trucks get up close to the back of me. Why they do it, dunno, i cant talk to'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

The HGV transport industry is highly regulated, the drivers have to obey many rules, carry numerous expensive certifications and carry the burden of personal responsibility to the Gardai and courts for their companies vehicle road worthiness, their delivery and time policies and are in the main very poorly paid for what should be a lucrative career.

Many professional drivers have left the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Beware of getting rear entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Order one of these for her, OP.

thumb1367509173.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

How did she end up in the arctic in a Yaris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I was thinking the same thing myself :)

An articulated lorry (truck) is a vehicle which has a permanent or semi-permanent pivot joint in its construction, allowing the vehicle to bend and turn more sharply. Trams and trains are also articulated.

Arctic Artic is an abbreviation of articulated.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nothing as dangerous as a car that pulls out onto a road and doesn't accelerate off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Generally I don't have any issues with truck drivers. Expect for one thing. Why do they have to flash other truck drivers coming the opposite direction on motorways? There I am, just after going past a truck and moving back into the left lane. Suddenly lights start flashing behind me and I wondering what I did wrong. Are my indicators not working? Is there any issue with my car? Is he flashing me for some other reason? This happened me a few time before I realised any time they were flashing was because it was directed towards a fellow trucker on the other side of the motorway! Is it just me or has this confused others too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well I was flashed after overtaking a lorry (not articulated) just the other day. Don't know why he flashed me, but I pulled over onto the hard shoulder, got out & had a look round my car to see what was wrong, no idea why he flashed :confused:

The lorry shot past ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Plenty of trucks out there with limiters disabled. With a light load, they can get quite a bit of speed.

There are trucks out there with limiters disabled but there are certainly not plenty of them, the vast, vast majority of HGV's are compliant.

And its not even because of the constant RSA checkpoints or the manufacturer software that limits the speed by regulation, its because in this industry cost is king and hauliers tend to look very, very closely at their fuel costs. Not only are most vehicles compliant regarding RSLs, a surprising number of them will be set below 90kph because of the fuel savings that can be made on longer journeys. There will always be a few cowboys on the road but they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Its irrelevant anyway. Everybody knows full well what actually happened to the old dear in the Yaris. She pulled out in front of the truck causing it to brake and then toddled along well below the speed limit, just another old dear going through life with a queue behind her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Generally I don't have any issues with truck drivers. Expect for one thing. Why do they have to flash other truck drivers coming the opposite direction on motorways? There I am, just after going past a truck and moving back into the left lane. Suddenly lights start flashing behind me and I wondering what I did wrong. Are my indicators not working? Is there any issue with my car? Is he flashing me for some other reason? This happened me a few time before I realised any time they were flashing was because it was directed towards a fellow trucker on the other side of the motorway! Is it just me or has this confused others too?
    Well I was flashed after overtaking a lorry (not articulated) just the other day. Don't know why he flashed me, but I pulled over onto the hard shoulder, got out & had a look round my car to see what was wrong, no idea why he flashed :confused:

The lorry shot past ......
    Trucks frequently flash at overtaking traffic to let them know that they are past and can pull back into lane. It's generally used for slow overtaking trucks, you know, the kind that take 10 minutes to overtake because they are travelling about 0.2 kph faster than the truck in front.
    If you try flashing an overtaking trucks to let them know when they can pull back into lane in front of you you'll be rewarded with an acknowledging hazard warning light flash to say "Thanks". Brotherhood of the road and all that ****e.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are trucks out there with limiters disabled but there are certainly not plenty of them, the vast, vast majority of HGV's are compliant.

And its not even because of the constant RSA checkpoints or the manufacturer software that limits the speed by regulation, its because in this industry cost is king and hauliers tend to look very, very closely at their fuel costs. Not only are most vehicles compliant regarding RSLs, a surprising number of them will be set below 90kph because of the fuel savings that can be made on longer journeys. There will always be a few cowboys on the road but they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Its irrelevant anyway. Everybody knows full well what actually happened to the old dear in the Yaris. She pulled out in front of the truck causing it to brake and then toddled along well below the speed limit, just another old dear going through life with a queue behind her.

those kind of drivers instinct is too slow down more when someone comes up behind them , they sort of freeze up and think " the best thing to do is not to move much "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually no, everyone doesn't know full well what happened to the individual concerned.
    some people believe that what you stated above is what happened, and it very well may be the case, but unless anyone of us where there, then we aren't going to know what happened.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

actually no, everyone doesn't know full well what happened to the individual concerned.
    some people believe that what you stated above is what happened, and it very well may be the case, but unless anyone of us where there, then we aren't going to know what happened.

It’s good to have you and your unique brand of logic back, EOTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

It’s good to have you and your unique brand of logic back, EOTR.

I wouldn't go that far, JF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

From the OP it sounds your aunt pulled out in front of the artic ,doing 30kph in a 100kph zone
    ( Approaching the 30kph zone), while lorry was slowing down from 80kph.
    30kph or 18.6mph , which your aunt was driving at is virtually a stop if all traffic aren't also doing 30kph.
    Stopping a artic , especially a fully laden one , is no easy job and it sounds like he maximised his braking distance by serving left and right.
    Your aunt's a lucky woman.

I didn't say all. I didn't say the majority. I said plenty. There's more at it. then most'll realize.

Hang out by the red cow, inbound side of it. trucks going quite fast through there and off into the M50. They shouldn't be able to close in on me if I'm doing 100 on the motorway.

Its one thing for a haulier to be looking at cost of fuel. Its another when the driver is under pressure to have short journey times, to increase time for turn arounds.

And it comes up often enough on the Garda Twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What exactly did he do that is illegal?

an old lady driving and you speed up and intimidate her by driving tight up on her rear bumper and drive out and in is hardly good behaviour and could cause an accident. you can't intimidate or scare anyone like this. Why do people like you think its ok to do this especially to vulnerable or elderly road users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

cj maxx wrote: »
    From the OP it sounds your aunt pulled out in front of the artic ,doing 30kph in a 100kph zone
    ( Approaching the 30kph zone), while lorry was slowing down from 80kph.
    30kph or 18.6mph , which your aunt was driving at is virtually a stop if all traffic aren't also doing 30kph.
    Stopping a artic , especially a fully laden one , is no easy job and it sounds like he maximised his braking distance by serving left and right.
    Your aunt's a lucky woman.

i said she pulled out in good time and lorry actually increased his speed so it did not have to brake and I use to drive lorries and never once increased my speed to get up on top of others to intimidate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

an old lady driving and you speed up and intimidate her by driving tight up on her rear bumper and drive out and in is hardly good behaviour and could cause an accident. you can't intimidate or scare anyone like this. Why do people like you think its ok to do this especially to vulnerable or elderly road users

Except, hardly anyone believes that this is what happened. From the information you provided, most people have come to the conclusion that your friend either didn't see the truck or else misjudged the speed/distance and pulled out in front of approaching truck forcing the driver to emergency brake, narrowly avoiding rearending your friend. It must have been quite frightening for both parties.

Also, how would the truck driver know that it was an older driver in front?

Advertisement