Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 House Arrest Strategies

Options
  • 13-03-2020 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

What is everyone doing while the schools and creches are closed? We've a 7 and 4 year old (plus baby who just wants milk and naps) to keep entertained and I can see it being a long few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We have a 3yr old and 11mth old here. I'm a stay at home parent so ive to entertain them for half the day everyday anyways. But there will be lots of painting going on here. We also make playdough so a lock of that will be made, the making of the playdough is also part of the fun. We'll go for short walks up the road, possibly more than once a day if the weather allows. Playing out in the garden. A bit of baking. Jigsaws are a big hit here as well as books. There will be a bit of TV to allow me to do the few bits around the house. Outside of that there will be a lot of free play, just generally letting the 3 yr old potter about with whatever is keeping her entertained and she's usually pretty good at including the 11mth old as well. Meals can be dragged out a bit as well. Include them in the prep and tidy up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We are ok as one parent is already on a WFH directive and it's highly possible I might end up on that too.

Local vice principal has started an activities blog for the kids on social media which sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think I’m going to start tomorrow by putting half the toys we own into the shed, to make a bit of space. We’re falling over stuff here.
    Bought some crafting supplies today, but I’ve a 2, 4 and 8 year old, and while I can work with the older two, the two yr old wrecks everything!!!
    There will be paining, play doh, lots of printables for colouring. I’m not going to lie, I will be relying on the tv also to preserve my sanity
    I sincerely hope the weather dries up a bit too!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll be relying on wine I think...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are we up to 99 already?

That escalated quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Were working from home but not easy with a 3 year old.

I went to art/hobby style shop + let him pick out some stuff.

He has spent today playing in garden with bubbles, drawing on blackboard + playing with his garage/ transformers. Actually went better then I thought as we are trying to work so loads of arts/crafts hard as we have to help him while trying to work.

The bribe of a little bit of tv at end of day also helped!

I might go to woodies next week and buy a pot of blackboard paint and a bit of marine ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

scarepanda wrote: »
    We have a 3yr old and 11mth old here. I'm a stay at home parent so ive to entertain them for half the day everyday anyways. But there will be lots of painting going on here. We also make playdough so a lock of that will be made, the making of the playdough is also part of the fun. We'll go for short walks up the road, possibly more than once a day if the weather allows. Playing out in the garden. A bit of baking. Jigsaws are a big hit here as well as books. There will be a bit of TV to allow me to do the few bits around the house. Outside of that there will be a lot of free play, just generally letting the 3 yr old potter about with whatever is keeping her entertained and she's usually pretty good at including the 11mth old as well. Meals can be dragged out a bit as well. Include them in the prep and tidy up.

I stay at home too, we have a 16 mth old, 3 and 6 yr old. The hardest part about this is keeping them away from my husband who’s trying to work. He has worked remotely in the past but usually the 3 and 6yr old are in school for part of the day so it’s easier to manage just the baby! They’re finding it hard to understand Dad is working.

I have got the older two in wellies and rain suits and out the back, they’ve been making mud cakes for a while. They will be spending a lot of time outside. We’ll bake, probably go for a daily walk around the area, paint, colouring books. I did a bit of a stock up in Mr Price for arts and crafts and bits. The older girls teacher sent home a nice list of activities they can do daily. I have absolutely zero issue with TV use, we have a good few movies downloaded they can watch.

It’s an unprecedented time. Hard to know what to do. My 6 yr old is finding it hard to understand why she can’t see her friends when right outside our window there are so many kids running about on the road. I really wish other parents would heed the instructions about keeping kids apart.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'll be relying on wine I think...:pac:

This too. I’ll get by with a little help from wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We're actually lucky on the front as the kids are used to my husband working from home. He works a minimum of 3 days here, sometimes 5 days and then most Saturdays are spent with him working on videos for his side hobby and we just say he's working when he's at that aswell.

We also live in the countryside so meeting up with the local kids is usually done via parents. She's only 3 so obviously not allowed out the front/road on her own.

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    We're actually lucky on the front as the kids are used to my husband working from home. He works a minimum of 3 days here, sometimes 5 days and then most Saturdays are spent with him working on videos for his side hobby and we just say he's working when he's at that aswell.

We also live in the countryside so meeting up with the local kids is usually done via parents. She's only 3 so obviously not allowed out the front/road on her own.

I don’t let my 6yr old out on the road, it’s all done via parents. I suppose naturally she questioning why the kids on the road are allowed play together and I’m telling her she can’t have play dates etc! The questions I get from my 6yr old are totally different to the ones my 3yr old fires at me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

9 months pregnant with a 2 year old here. The two of us are climbing the walls and husband is working from home now so have to keep him away from that room too. And no wine!

Lots of painting, baking, books, singing songs etc. A few days ago he wanted to go out to dig stones with his shovel but the weather has been chronic here so I threw his Duplo on the floor and told him they were rocks. This has become a daily activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Six and three year old boys here...it’s going to be a long ride!!!!

Today I wasn’t very organised so there was a fair bit of making tents/forts in the sitting room. Watched a few movies, played with lego and brought them down to the beach for half an hour for some fresh air and a runabout.

My husband is working from home but the kids would be well used to that so don’t even think of going into the office. I’m off today but childcare is up in the air for the rest of it.. my mum is the only person we could lean on and as she’s over 60 I don’t want to do that. How is everyone else coping? Tbf I think my firm is going to be fine about it but still feels a bit strange!

Going to get some extra craft supplies and a few new board games tomorrow for Monday and have lots of baking supplies so we will be grand.

So annoyed with some of my neighbours. Kids everywhere on the street and while mine didn’t notice today they will tomorrow im sure. Drove past one of the local playgrounds today and it was brimming with children and parents....couldn’t believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Youngest is 11 and she will be on school schedule. Schools have sent plenty of stuff for them to be working on with more promised for next week. No technology access during the day so it’s
    Something for the evening. She has no online contact with friends from school.

Elder girl is 17 and she is studying to her school timetable. Teachers have all set work in google drive where they can do work and upload it for the teacher.

They love baking and have a list of things they want to try when they are off.

Evenings will be odd because both swim competitive and will miss training. Two early mornings and three evenings a week.

We live on our farm so lots of open spaces even if we had full lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kids are 'allowed' outside and to play with other kids within the restrictions announced yesterday.
    It's not a lockdown or house arrest type situation.
    Keeping the kids away from the elderly is more important, as is handwashing and keeping their numbers and distance within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kippy wrote: »
    Kids are 'allowed' outside and to play with other kids within the restrictions announced yesterday.

https://twitter.com/SamanthaLibreri/status/1238466895680077825?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

the pub

Keeping the kids away from the elderly is more important, as is handwashing and keeping their numbers and distance within reason.

Nobody is saying it’s lockdown or house arrest but there have been numerous healthcare professionals come out in the last 24 hours urging parents to act responsibly and keep children away from each other.
    Personally I just think it’s lazy on parents parts, especially of young children who haven’t a clue about social distancing to just open the front door and let them off.
    It’s not the midterm break or the Easter holidays it’s an unprecedented event that we should all take seriously.

_Brian wrote: »

We have a large field in front of the estate. I don't see how:
    1. There is a risk with kids playing together in this wide open space.
    2. The feasibility of keeping them away from external places like this for the next 5 plus weeks.

The advise coming from the HSE is not a lockdown at home, if it changes then will review.

cant26 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying it’s lockdown or house arrest but there have been numerous healthcare professionals come out in the last 24 hours urging parents to act responsibly and keep children away from each other.
    Personally I just think it’s lazy on parents parts, especially of young children who haven’t a clue about social distancing to just open the front door and let them off.
    It’s not the midterm break or the Easter holidays it’s an unprecedented event that we should all take seriously.

It is not in any way feasible to do this to children for 5 plus weeks.
    Do you have Children?

It is something that parents and most of the population are taking seriously.
    It's just a pity it hadn't been taken seriously a few weeks ago by placing restrictions on those returning from or going to areas where the disease had taken holdor indeed those 200k racegoers over the past few days.
    Restricting kids from playing in small groups outdoors for 5 weeks isn't an achievable target when the weather is good and there is an open space in front of the window

• Advertisement

It is not in any way feasible to do this to children for 5 plus weeks.
    Do you have Children?

I have two small children and I’m pregnant with my third. It is feasible if you make it. Unfortunately it’s mindsets like this that will make things worse for everyone else. I will be climbing the walls as I’m sure everyone else will be. It’s far from an ideal situation but I’m going to do my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old and am only back in work a week after maternity leave. I was so ready to go back to work so this feels like it will be groundhog day! Going to fill the mornings with long forest walks or puddle jumping on the beach. I usually bring the toddler on a ramble at about 6pm anyway. I let him walk and basically follow him around our estate. I have started following a lot of Instagram and Facebook accounts that have great ideas for toddlers so hope to incorporate a bit of that into our day. My next plan is to dye grains of rice and bury things in it for him to dig through.

cant26 wrote: »
    I have two small children and I’m pregnant with my third. It is feasible if you make it. Unfortunately it’s mindsets like this that will make things worse for everyone else. I will be climbing the walls as I’m sure everyone else will be. It’s far from an ideal situation but I’m going to do my bit.

Let me know how you get on. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

5 and 8 years old here. I raided Mr. Price yesterday of beads, pipe cleansers, glue, glitter, lollipop sticks etc. which I plan to drip feed to them over the next few weeks.
    I'm hoping for the weather to get better so they can go out on their bikes and help me in the garden.
    I won't lie there will also be a certain amount off TV and tablet watching too. My 8 year old has some school work to keep him occupied aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ms2011 wrote: »
    5 and 8 years old here. I raided Mr. Price yesterday of beads, pipe cleansers, glue, glitter, lollipop sticks etc. which I plan to drip feed to them over the next few weeks.
    I'm hoping for the weather to get better so they can go out on their bikes and help me in the garden.
    I won't lie there will also be a certain amount off TV and tablet watching too. My 8 year old has some school work to keep him occupied aswell.

Good idea that, buy some packets of seeds and get the nippers to dig a veg patch or plant some flowers. Kids love it and it is great for them to follow progress of the growing plants. Healthier than the telly and it will tire them out too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Three kids, 5,3,1.Beach, art and crafts, lots of free play.TV.I expect there will be no films peft for us to watch by the end of this.
    I will be keeping them with us in our garden or in wide open space as much as possible.We will all be driven nuts by the end but it is not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think in exceptional times, I’m relaxing the screen rules which are usually more strict. I have a 4 month old and a 3.5 year old who is bonkers. I’ve always shipped the poor fella off to crèche for a few hours to have bonding space with the baby, but now, god forbid I have to mind my own child! How did our parents have such large families and remain sane and happy??? I literally cracked by 11am, baby crying with wind, 3 year old jumping and screaming, scooter, tractor, bumpy car, jigsaws, paw patrol toys, pj mask costume, fire engines, crayons, scissors and cut paper everywhere, cartoons on full blast. It’s only been the first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

New born and two capable kids under 8.

Cycling to the beach, frisbee, ball play, kite flying during the day. I'm working at night from home to free up the day. (With help from St. Emillion) We've relaxed (increased) screen time with strict start and stop times. They can choose between two 30 minute gaps or one hour per day. TV is ok, but they're not that interested. Schoolwork is fed online and takes about 30 minutes a day.

Other activities include car washing and general chores around the house. Cooking has become a big thing with them choosing from recipe books and taking control with me doing the sous chef stuff (dangerous stuff).

Mum is with new born. (not called Corrona)

Good call on the planting seeds, we've packs lying around from enthusiastic Lidl shopping that never came to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Family of 5 here. Myself, wife and 3 kids - 2, 4 & 6 years old.

House is a small 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom.

Say my wife or I develop a cough or a temperature etc... what do we do?

One od us could self-isolate in a bedroom but the kids wouldn't last too long keeping away from mammy or daddy.

If one of us has to self-isolate, can the other one still go out in public or what's the advice?

I've looked up the HSE website but they don't cover what to do as a primary care giver who might have to self-isolate.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

tempnam wrote: »
    Family of 5 here. Myself, wife and 3 kids - 2, 4 & 6 years old.

House is a small 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom.

Say my wife or I develop a cough or a temperature etc... what do we do?

One od us could self-isolate in a bedroom but the kids wouldn't last too long keeping away from mammy or daddy.

If one of us has to self-isolate, can the other one still go out in public or what's the advice?

I've looked up the HSE website but they don't cover what to do as a primary care giver who might have to self-isolate.

Any advice?

They talked a lot about self isolation on the late late last night, and how to do it in a house with others. If you’re doing it properly, there’s no reason the other person can’t go out.
    In terms of being a primary carer, I suppose you would be expected to get your other half to mind the kids and keep them away from you, just as they would have to mind them if you were in hospital or something

Advertisement