Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Football Crest Tournament: Europe vs Rest of the World

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Hello! To celebrate the renewal of soccer leagues across the entire globe, I’ve decided to run my next installment of The Ultimate Tournament with that in mind. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is
    The Ultimate Football Crest Tournament:
    Europe vs Rest of the World

960.jpg

The concept for this competition is that you choose your favorite looking football crest based on aesthetics, story or any other X-factor. Simply thinking it’s pretty, cool or even pretty cool is more than enough. This contest doesn’t require you to know anything about the Beautiful Game whatsoever. Literally anyone can take part in this... so please do!

The opening round is going to feature all Europe vs Rest of the World ties. From then on out it will be an open and random draw. If you would like to nominate a few favorites for this then have a look right here on the nominations thread. When I have the required numbers, we will rock on. I hope you all enjoy it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The line up of teams are all in the hat folks. We have a whopping 128 clubs from 61 countries ready to enter this bad boy. I have decided that instead of straight knockout from the off, I'm gonna do a group stage and then it'll be one on one matches thereafter. Each group will have 4 teams in it, 2 from Europe and 2 from Rest of the World. Top two from each group will progress to the Knockout Stage.

Who's excited?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Let's go let's go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Go Sports!

tenor.gif?itemid=12671393

tenor.gif

The groups are completed and set in stone. We can kick this off tomorrow folks if y'all are ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This is a tournament that has my undivided attention. May the best (and by best I mean the most obscene, garish monstrosity) crest win. :)

• Advertisement

First group will be up within ten minutes! I have a massive 32 groups for the initial stage. Each group contains 4 team crests, 2 from Europe and 2 from Rest of the World. You simply state which two are your favorites from each group.

Reasons are strongly encouraged for your choices and will be used as tie-breakers should they arise. Groups will have a time limit of 30 minutes.

Gandzasar Kapan (RUS)

Gandzasar_FC_Logo_2009.png

-

Irapuato (MEX)

200px-Club_Irapuato_Por_Siempre.png

-

FC Santa Claus (FIN)

220px-FC_Santa_Claus.png

-

Pago Youth (ASM)

Pago_Pago_Youth.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Kapan for me. Go polar bears

Irapuato for some strawberry representation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Choose 1 from the 4 is it?

I choose Pago Youth. Look at it. It looks like some fabled Football team from a movie about tough guy footballers. That's my choice. Go Eagles!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gapan and Santa Claus.

Can't be voting against bears or Christmas this early

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »

2 from 4 Brother Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I choose Pago Youth. Look at it. It looks like some fabled Football team from a movie about tough guy footballers. That's my choice. Go Eagles!
    Omackeral wrote: »
    First group will be up within ten minutes! I have a massive 32 groups for the initial stage. Each group contains 4 team crests, 2 from Europe and 2 from Rest of the World. You simply state which two are your favorites from each group.

Reasons are strongly encouraged for your choices and will be used as tie-breakers should they arise. Groups will have a time limit of 30 minutes.

Choose two from the four.

I'm going for Gandzasar Kapan and Irapuato , for Polar Bears, and for something a bit different

2 from 4 - perfect! My second choice then goes to Gandzasar Kapan. Its a bear. On a ball. Amazing!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gandzasar Kapan - it's got a fcuking polar bear on it!

FC Santa Claus - extra Christmas fixtures all year round

Kapan top the group with 5 votes. It's a toss up between Santa and Irapuato for second place. Based on the reasons given I'll have to pick Saint Nick, plus he goes well with the polar bear. Irapuato was a nice addition though and sorry to see it go.

Gandzasar Kapan and FC Santa Claus progress.

FC Copenhagen (DEN)

220px-FC_K%C3%B8benhavn.svg.png

-

Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata (ARG)

220px-Gimnasia_Esgrima_LP_logo.svg.png

-

Brighton and Hove Albion (ENG)

220px-Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.png

-

Club Tijuana (MEX)

220px-Club_Tijuana_logo.svg.png

Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata - nice over the top heraldry going on there

Club Tijuana - how many clubs have an award winning did on their badge? I'd guess one. The dog's name is Hermoso btw.

Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata is my first pick. Try saying that after 5 or 6 pints. Pretty cool, classic looking crest

2nd, i pick Club Tijuana - Its a Doggo!!! Doggo over a feckin' seagull any day of the week. Going round, shyting on chips on the beach. And robbing toupee's off of auld fella's heads. Gimme man's best friend any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Give it to the Argentines for the only interesting Argentinian crest.

Give it to the Mexicans for the dog.

Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata - because it's a bit ridiculous

Brighton & Hove Albion - because gerrybbadd has ruined the Tijuana one for me (I cannot overstate my absolute disdain for the "word" d*g*o and anybody who uses it :mad: )

• Advertisement

Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata - because it's a bit ridiculous

Brighton & Hove Albion - because gerrybbadd has ruined the Tijuana one for me (I cannot overstate my absolute disdain for the "word" d*g*o and anybody who uses it :mad: )

Ok. I apologise. Pupper it is:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Tijuana - well solidarity to my doggo mates

and Kobenhagen, because seagulls are saps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Copenhagen, it's actually pretty classy

Tijuana, it isn't classy but look at that doggie, he'd rip your face off if you don't vote for him

This is the real dog the badge was based on. It's a hairless Mexican breed called a xolo.

xoloitzcuintli_hermoso_perro_xolos_de_tijuana.jpg

Zaph wrote: »
    This is the real dog the badge was based on. It's a hairless Mexican breed called a xolo.

Club's full name is actually Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente, commonly referred to as Xolos de Tijuana, or simply as Xolos.

Brighton. I nommed them and who doesn't like Seagulls :P

Let's go Tijuana for the second vote due to the lengthy explanation etc.

The hellhounds of Tijuana top the group with fellow Latin Americans from La Plata going through with them.

Tijuana and Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata progress

Östersunds FK (SWE)

220px-Ostersunds_FK_logo.svg.png

-

North Geelong Warriors (AUS)

220px-North_geelong_warriors_logo.jpg

-

Arsenal (ENG)

220px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

-

AS Magenta (NCL)

220px-ASMagenta.png

Geelong because it's fun to say and the crest is pretty.

And Arsenal. Cannon is awesome.

• Advertisement

Östersunds for that badass eagle that will rip you apart.

AS Magenta for that adorable deer that will lick you to death.

Advertisement