Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Before I even saw the graffiti pictures I thought "that's a house that was repossessed, and the owners took everything with them that wasn't nailed down, and quite a lot that was".

A guy I worked with bought a house like that, but it was actually in worse condition - the ceilings in some rooms had been pulled down to take out the sound system in it, tiles were ripped up on the hall floor, and then there was paint EVERYWHERE. The previous owners basically got those massive tubs of paint and just threw it all over the house before they left. All the sockets were taken, and there were those velux windows in the attic room, which had been broken so there was quite a bit of water damage. He got the house for peanuts because of all the work that needed doing, and he was warned by a few people to beware of "reprisals" from the former owner, but nothing like that happened, luckily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The amount of sh*te these estate agents use to sell a property is a joke.

"We are delighted to bring you this lovely family home in a private residential area"

What about the fact the area is a kip, the house has no roof or fixtures and you're asking 400k for the pleasure.

FCUK OFF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Who wouldn't want an ice cream freezer - great for the kids!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/33-the-kybe-skerries-county-dublin/4292012

Ok, I dread the reply, but - WHY would you put a splashback behind the cistern of the toilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Last owner was male and 7 foot 3?

Never seen that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, I dread the reply, but - WHY would you put a splashback behind the cistern of the toilet?

I watched one of those "How clean is your house?" type shows on tv one time and they put some sort of dye into the toilet and flushed it with the lid open. Then they turned off the lights and shone a UV light onto the walls and the ceiling.........the dye was everywhere. It was stomach churning. IT GOES EVERYWHERE!!

• Advertisement

Now, think about your toothbrush....even with the lid closed, its not an impenetrable barrier.

Now, think about your toothbrush....even with the lid closed, its not an impenetrable barrier.

Yup, they showed the accumulation on the toothbrushes AFTER ONE FLUSH.....it was puke-inducing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yup, they showed the accumulation on the toothbrushes AFTER ONE FLUSH.....it was puke-inducing.

Yet here we all are, alive and well, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yet here we all are, alive and well, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yes, I understand that; but just because it doesn't kill doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yes, I understand that; but just because it doesn't kill doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

You really want to know how much bacteria you passing around in the toilet? Think of toilet paper tube, water taps etc.

Nothing disgusting about it. Just the way we live.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    You really want to know how much bacteria you passing around in the toilet? Think of toilet paper tube, water taps etc.

Nothing disgusting about it. Just the way we live.

I'm fully aware of all of that, but I don't brush my teeth with any of those....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I'm fully aware of all of that, but I don't brush my teeth with any of those....

the toilet brush also - handy for a quick scrub in between toothbrushes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Whoever buys it will have to modernise it. No big deal.

All well and good if it was cheap but 320k?? In Skerries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's how you get CPE - you eat an infected persons waste

MkGwJgq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-lacey-field-donabate-dublin/4290114

8d3f46dc-f7ec-4c0d-91cd-7bc898ee4eca_l.jpg

I'm not sure if this place has been listed before. Yes it's cheap but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-lacey-field-donabate-dublin/4290114

It was just increased by 40k !!

I was tempted to see it to see if its a boxed in trailer or not. I have a sneaking suspicion it is and as far as I know you can't live in them all year round.

So people are selling a mancave in a bit of their garden for 160k now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That looks very much like it is on a camping.

D3V!L wrote: »
    It was just increased by 40k !!

:eek:

Or by 33% from its previously listed price. Not many places in Ireland can increase their asking price by 33% overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

So people are selling a mancave in a bit of their garden for 160k now?

At least once a month the bar gets set higher. Browse back a few months and the posts there will be par for the course :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This former holiday cottage and hobbit hole in Donegal is now on the market..

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/08/22/how-cool-is-this-hobbit-hideaway-and-creative-donegal-cottage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Graces7 wrote: »

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/08/22/how-cool-is-this-hobbit-hideaway-and-creative-donegal-cottage/

200k! Would ya go away and sh1te

Looks a bargain in comparison to that last one for 160k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »

that used to be listed on airbnb if I recall correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I know its very rural, but I don't think thats an outrageous price given that it includes the pod, the cottage and some land in one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. Certainly better than the glorified caravan/ halting site in the last ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Even being trailer trash costs 160k now. FFS.

I know its very rural, but I don't think thats an outrageous price given that it includes the pod, the cottage and some land in one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. Certainly better than the glorified caravan/ halting site in the last ad

Didn't read the ad correctly... thought it was just for the hobbit thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If it is pulling in the 30,000 in rental income that the article claims then it is a pretty decent buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

If it is pulling in the 30,000 in rental income that the article claims then it is a pretty decent buy.

Aren't they clamping down on all that make shift rental shíte next year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Even being trailer trash costs 160k now. FFS.

Apparently even being trailer trash is something to work towards now

That'll be gross (if the claims are true).

I doubt it's zoned as commercial.

Think of all the over-heads. Leaving the tax side out of it, if you're doing Air BnB .... cleaning / bed sheets etc... - given it's rural, you're not going to be round the corner yourself to do it. By the time you get someone to do it for you, BAM, profit gone.

The gross yield % sounds amazing, but once you consider all the over-heads... nah.... it's a place you'd buy to use yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm nearly sure the mobile home in the picture with the treehouse has been on here before. The Lacey Field definitely rings a bell with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It says in a separate article that figure is from the two properties. It's up on Airbnb for €58 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Cheap???? It's a bleeding trailer ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

BBFAN wrote: »
    Cheap???? It's a bleeding trailer ffs.

Ah I know but when we've seen the prices of other crazy places and baring in mind that it is Donabate it's not the worst place that's been on here. But it is still a lot of money for very little.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

AirBnB is banned in Ireland from June next year unless you also live in the property and are just renting out a single room. There is no way you will get 30k in rent under the rules unless you can somehow get planning permission as a short term rental property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That'll be gross (if the claims are true).

I doubt it's zoned as commercial.

Think of all the over-heads. Leaving the tax side out of it, if you're doing Air BnB .... cleaning / bed sheets etc... - given it's rural, you're not going to be round the corner yourself to do it. By the time you get someone to do it for you, BAM, profit gone.

The gross yield % sounds amazing, but once you consider all the over-heads... nah.... it's a place you'd buy to use yourself.

I actually wanted to book that place for a staycation last year and it was pretty booked out so never did in the end. So I'd say he was making a good bit out of it.
    I think he lived nearby and has several other similar properties and they all seemed to be marketed well and got very good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kingp35 wrote: »
    AirBnB is banned in Ireland from June next year unless you also live in the property and are just renting out a single room. There is no way you will get 30k in rent under the rules unless you can somehow get planning permission as a short term rental property.

That doesn't apply for holiday homes.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That doesn't apply for holiday homes.

I know that but it has to have specific planning permission as a holiday home. the article doesn't state if it does or not. You can't just call something a holiday home, it has to be designated as such.

• Advertisement

Will this be properly enforced though? We have a history of bringing laws in and then forgetting about them due to lack of staff. Will there be loopholes for landlords to get around it even if it is enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

ok it's not a rental but look at this place:
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/walkinstown/35-bunting-road-walkinstown-dublin-1954319/

Check it out on the satellite imagery if the above link doesn't show it, they've enclosed the entire rear garden in and somehow made 9 separate units out of the place - I'd say they're nightmare neighbours.

How they think that an illegal development in the back garden has almost tripled the value of the house though! And sad that the €70k in rent per annum figure is probably correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Simona1986 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/walkinstown/35-bunting-road-walkinstown-dublin-1954319/

Check it out on the satellite imagery if the above link doesn't show it, they've enclosed the entire rear garden in and somehow made 9 separate units out of the place - I'd say they're nightmare neighbours.

How they think that an illegal development in the back garden has almost tripled the value of the house though! And sad that the €70k in rent per annum figure is probably correct!

crazy. no pics of the 'units' though. why not one ask themselves..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I just checked South Dublin CC planning register and there's no entries for that address so unless it's exempt development (a lot of back garden, single storey development is exempt). Maybe 'change of use' planning should apply? I don't know. Either way I can't see many investors being interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

M.Cribben wrote: »
    (a lot of back garden, single storey development is exempt).

I think only subject to constraints such as maximum size (40sq m?), size compared to existing dwelling and size of garden leftover - none of which it looks like these works would satisfy

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I think only subject to constraints such as maximum size (40sq m?), size compared to existing dwelling and size of garden leftover - none of which it looks like these works would satisfy

Hope the buyer has a decent solicitor/surveyor !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

5000 new Facebook jobs coming to Dublin, should be a cause for celebration but this thread was my first thought...

WTF is the government thinking? New builds are still miles below basic maintenance level, how bad will it have to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Thargor wrote: »
    5000 new Facebook jobs coming to Dublin, should be a cause for celebration but this thread was my first thought...

WTF is the government thinking? New builds are still miles below basic maintenance level, how bad will it have to get?

Software developer position available. €95k pa. Stock options. And a free tent.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Software developer position available. €95k pa. Stock options. And a free tent.
    or sleep under your desk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thargor wrote: »

This 'cottage' right next door to the bankcentre sold today for 470000. Its basically 4 walls and is in an area prone to flooding, but hey - location baby!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/four-down-at-heel-walls-in-ballsbridge-sell-for-470-000-1.3689679?mode=amp

• Advertisement
Advertisement