Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refunds with receipt - do the HAVE to go back on same card ?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭

If someone buys you a gift and gives you the receipt can you get a refund without their card?

E.g. an uncle buys a gift visiting from over seas

They are gone and you have a faulty products
    What then ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is the retailer insisting on this?

There is no technical reason why they could insist on this because if you had paid for it yourself and your card was subsequently stolen and cancelled, the original card would no longer exist so the refund would have to be applied to a different card number. Even if the underlying account was the same but the retailer would have no way of knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Technically there is no contract between you and the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

No.
    I have sometimes asked for refund in cash and stated “ I don’t have my card with me” and got what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks

I’ve so often heard “it had to be the card used for the purchase”

Perhaps it’s easier for the merchant to process but obviously cards can get replaced when out of date etc ....

So it’s a matter of knowing your rights and knowing that a receipt is a receipt and payment method doesn’t matter

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

absolutely not necessary to refund to the same card. as pointed out you might not still have the same card. Shop wont keep a record of your card number so if you turn up and say the card in your hand is the card then they wont know any different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Refunding to a different card can classed as money laundering.

daheff wrote: »
    absolutely not necessary to refund to the same card. as pointed out you might not still have the same card. Shop wont keep a record of your card number so if you turn up and say the card in your hand is the card then they wont know any different

the last 4 numbers of the CC or debit card are often on the receipt ........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you're claiming under your statutory rights (Sale of Goods Act), then no, it doesn't have to be refunded to the same card, but the company also has the option of offering repair or replace before refund. However, in this case, you don't have any statutory rights, as you are not the purchaser. If you're claiming under store policy, then you have to abide by their T&Cs

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Refunding to a different card can classed as money laundering.

Also leaves the retailer open to credit card scams, a customers make a large purchaes on one card. and get a refund to another card (or even cash). and then it turns out the origional purchase was made on a stolen card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Only ever got told this once when I was buying something with a one for all card.

• Advertisement

Also leaves the retailer open to credit card scams, a customers make a large purchaes on one card. and get a refund to another card (or even cash). and then it turns out the origional purchase was made on a stolen card.

Legit reason for retailers to be reluctant to refund on diff card so.
    Understandable particularly for a big purchase ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just hand back any card, they won't notice the difference. Policy in the retailer I work in is to request the card they paid with, it's mainly for fraud purposes but we've no way of checking as the card number isn't anywhere on the receipt in my place

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just hand back any card, they won't notice the difference. Policy in the retailer I work in is to request the card they paid with, it's mainly for fraud purposes but we've no way of checking as the card number isn't anywhere on the receipt in my place

The last 4 numbers of the card *************1234 often is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

worded wrote: »
    The last 4 numbers of the card *************1234 often is

Is it on your receipt? And are you actually entitled to a refund in the first place?

Is it on your receipt? And are you actually entitled to a refund in the first place?

It was a present

Brought to store and it was swapped for a working model, all fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

duffman13 wrote: »

The Last 4 digits of the card number should be on the receipt.

Also (in stores with integrated Till Systems) sometimes the till does the check and will not accept a different card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

It should have to back on the same card for accounting/stock control reasons.

A similar but not card related thing happened in a shop I worked in.

Customer bought €600 worth of stuff. Paid by cheque. A few days later he returned and informed a co-worker that the cheque would bounce and handed over cash.

You can imagine my confusion when I was cashing up the following morning to find €600 more than there should be.

2 weeks later we got a call from HQ asking why we were €600 short.. That was the cheque bouncing.

Took a month to sort as it also screwed up the stock handling (it was €600 worth of various items costing about €10-15 each)

Insisting the money goes back on the same card is traceable and simpler especially for places with multiple shops.

It is also to stop people from picking up a receipt in the car park and pulling the item of the shelf and asking for a cash refund (It happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It should have to back on the same card for accounting/stock control reasons.

A similar but not card related thing happened in a shop I worked in.

Customer bought €600 worth of stuff. Paid by cheque. A few days later he returned and informed a co-worker that the cheque would bounce and handed over cash.

You can imagine my confusion when I was cashing up the following morning to find €600 more than there should be.

2 weeks later we got a call from HQ asking why we were €600 short.. That was the cheque bouncing.

Took a month to sort as it also screwed up the stock handling (it was €600 worth of various items costing about €10-15 each)

Insisting the money goes back on the same card is traceable and simpler especially for places with multiple shops.

It is also to stop people from picking up a receipt in the car park and pulling the item of the shelf and asking for a cash refund (It happens).

If you get paid by cheque and it bounces, then why would you not be happy to accept a more reliable payment method?

The cash that was paid over should have been set aside with a note explaining its presence (as opposed to going through the till). That way there would be no confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If you get paid by cheque and it bounces, then why would you not be happy to accept a more reliable payment method?

The cash that was paid over should have been set aside with a note explaining its presence (as opposed to going through the till). That way there would be no confusion.

In theory yes. Computer systems in multi branch shops dont think like that however!

The gent told us and handed over cash before the chain would be aware that it was a rubber cheque. In fairness he was honest but it was too late as it had been banked at that point.

Us humans know what is going on but computers dont. That is why shops dont do cheques and insist refunds go on the card used.

JD sports is a good example. Buy stuff online using a card, can get refund in store to the same card.

Buy stuff online using paypal and it must go back to the UK by post before you get a refund.

Its all about the transaction chain.

Advertisement