Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    Frogs are beautiful and cats are misunderstood.

. -- Somebody or other, circa 19something something.

q42sePKR.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The longest time between two twins being born is 87 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Scheele's Green was developed in the 1700's and used arsenic as a main component meaning it was highly toxic. It was widely used as a paint, and dye for fabrics and papers at the time. I listened to a podcast this morning that mentioned that Charles Dickens saw the colour and loved it so much he wanted to paint his entire house in it. Fortunately, his wife hated it and refused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheele's_Green

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

626876.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement

What is a pirates favourite letter ?

A letter of marque and reprisal.

A letter of marque is permission to cross over the frontier into another country's territory in order to take a ship

A letter of reprisal authorizes taking the captured vessel to the home port of the capturer.

With these a pirate becomes a privateer subject to the country that issued the letter(s) and technically isn't an "enemy of mankind". Even today any government that catches a pirate on the high seas can legally do pretty much anything they want to them.

tdtm6lfi7t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

QzkaVvN.jpg

You can clear dust off a solar panel by trickling sand nearby.

Or at least you can on Mars if your lander has a robotic arm with a scoop on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

609bbd95233bf_6HPTHPW__700.jpg

This is a mechanical OR gate (with 20 inputs).

• Advertisement

djua0f5b49.jpg

Not sure if it's true, but it does sound plausible.

bvye09duk5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

First Google link says it's nonsense and is an old English term - https://vinepair.com/articles/origin-of-shot/

QpK3R5GZ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

djua0f5b49.jpg
    From what I remember Gaia wasn't the only primoridal deity in Greek myth. There were a few with her, off the top of my head;chaos(who everyone sprang from), tartarus, erebus and a couple of others .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,026 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

interesting story that seems to be true but this extra part added by somebody else doesn't quite ring true

https://twitter.com/anmol_dhawan/status/1404410990716854277

medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

https://coimages.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/images/53/399/medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

Canary resuscitator Siebe Gorman and Company Limited
    The circular door is open while you explore the mine. If the canary keels over you shut the door and turn on the oxygen supply. While you run for safety, of course.

This type of cage allows one to re-use the canary.

There were woodlice things in Kilkenny 360 million years ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

https://coimages.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/images/53/399/medium_1930_0635__0001_.jpg

Canary resuscitator Siebe Gorman and Company Limited
    The circular door is open while you explore the mine. If the canary keels over you shut the door and turn on the oxygen supply. While you run for safety, of course.

This type of cage allows one to re-use the canary.

Dunno. Buying a replacement canary would be a lot cheeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BBC Sports presenter Gabby Logan represented Leeds in the 1991 Rose of Tralee . Yorath is her maiden name.

627621.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

The English language has around 15,000 potential syllables but we use less than half of them.

qw1f1p47sg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

qw1f1p47sg.jpg
    It's a nice story, but I find it strange that people always stop there with the little just-so story of the lady who is kind of magic.

If she can smell it, then there is a chemical marker secreted by Parkinson's Disease patients.

That means that we can figure out what it is and build a machine to detect that chemical marker, and even maybe learn something about what PD changes in the body.

There are clever people doing exactly that:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21669-4

mikhail wrote: »
    It's a nice story, but I find it strange that people always stop there with the little just-so story of the lady who is kind of magic.

If she can smell it, then there is a chemical marker secreted by Parkinson's Disease patients.

That means that we can figure out what it is and build a machine to detect that chemical marker, and even maybe learn something about what PD changes in the body.

That wasn't my point at all - of course there are markers of all kinds (just because we haven't found them all, yet, doesn't mean they're not there), just like there are markers for cancers, Covid, infections, etc. We've been using dogs' sense of smell to do detect them for years. The surprising fact, for me, wasn't that she's "magic", but the fact that a human could smell the marker at all, our olfactory system in general isn't that developed. It also means that something that doesn't look "scientific" enough (although there are scientific reasons behind it) should be more accurate than the current tests we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

That wasn't my point at all
    Yeah, sorry; I didn't mean you specifically, really. It just annoys me that the brilliant follow-up work that's converting a quirky story into another medical miracle is constantly ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikhail wrote: »

She's heavily involved in Parkinson's research and activism herself, first discovered the smell thing when her husband got Parkinson's, and is a nurse etc. Her Twitter account is very active too, so it's possible to go beyond the Ripley's believe it or not part as well.

419387.jpg

• Advertisement

628253.jpg

Advertisement