Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small scale PV (DIY)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dude, it's a Solis 4G dual MPPT current version. Probably the most commonly installed solar inverter in Ireland by SEAI installers

Spec sheet is here. Note that is the website of the biggest solar wholesale provider in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

Quick question.

I can fit 4 panels on my main roof facing east. A max of 3 facing west on the opposite side. The West side is harder to access and will not be serviceable by me without scaffolding etc.

I can fit an additional 3 across the flat roof facing east but they will begin to be overshadowed at around 4.45pm by the main house. If I put a 4th panel on the flat roof then this will sit behind the first 3 so the time for overshadowing will decrease by around an hour. From what I understand so far If I do 2 parallel strings of 4 panels then I can use a simple single string inverter and when the shadowing starts the shaded parallel string will just stop producing. If I remember correctly this has to be the same number of panels as the main roof.

I have yet to cost the mounting system cost of the Console+ and ballast for the flat roof but all other costs are easy and DIY on the flat roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Kind of lost you without a picture,a visual reference...

If shadowing is a big issue,is that Summer or Winter times ?
    Keep in your mind that Sun travels across sky and designs a diferent curvature every day / month...
    You may have the shadow at 4pm Summer and at 2pm in the Winter,which kind of fckus up your plans...

Trying to use most panels on the east or west makes no logic with our weather patterns and without a tracker.
    Puting more in the East to get most of the morning light makes sense but what if the weather is overcast and no Sun at all until...well,until in afternoon when it beats the West side of the roof / panels !??

Best compromise,fit as many as you can price wise and coverage THEN get these little devices H E R E, a TIGO optimiser.
    That will increase the cost of the project...

Good luck and i share your pain in the back shadow of the panel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would probably choose not to install any panel that would get shade at any time of the day. But if I had to, I would use Tigo optimisers for every panel in the string that has at least one panel that gets shade. Not cheap though, if you have a string of 4 panels and one gets shadow, this will effectively well over double the price of that shaded panel. Or in other words, that panel will never pay for itself. Also these things won't last as long as the panels and when they fail, you will need to go back up on your roof. As I said, personally I wouldn't fit any panel that would get shade.

any idea what an optimiser costs. single vs dual panel. I wonder if its more economical to use two single string inverters and leave the mppt do its thing for each string instead. if location is an issue or a dual string inverter

Attached is my east facing. My main roof east can fit 4 panels west can only fit 3 panels and south 1 or 2.

West and south are hard to access for me and if I use a roofer then will most likely require scaffolding etc. But east is likely that a roofer would just use a ladder so may be more cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Better image but still no ideea how the Sun does his works over a day or a month !

I'll do it East and West on same input on the inverter.
    Leave South on the other input, as it will get longer exposure / harvesting time across day time.

East,you can fit 7 panels in landscape mode.
    Cannot see for South ,guess easy 6 or 8.
    West, as well,7 panels easily.

Smarter,i will do:
    7 panels x 330W on East = 2.4Kw
    2 x 20 solar tubes on the South side with a 300L cylinder
    7 panels x 330W on West = 2.4Kw

You get grants for both of them and very good value,as efficency,Return and grants...
    i know,plannig permission,screw that,wait until some complains and then apply for retention in 12 months time.(do not take it as an advice).
    You dont need scaffolding,i can easily get on the roof from the back of the house... just play safe !

Good luck... doing it cheap is doing it twice, same thing again !

I wish there was that much space on my roof. The only company to respond to my inquiries so far has confirmed that I can fit 4 max east and 3 max west.
    The 4 are 3 in portrait and one in landscape. They said south only 1 but I think 2 can fit there. This is trying to comply with the SEAI 500mm exclusion on the perimeter too but it might cut short on some of my angles.

Post 33 has my 3 aspects. Each tile you can see is 300mm wide by 250mm high

Advertisement