Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That means you get another night out of your snow :(

#notfair #cantcope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Snow fields showing up on the NASA Sat Pic from earlier today.

Models in general did well.

Q0hmVa9.png?1

Mountains Ridges in Kerry with snow on them today.

wl1hUdq.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

#notfair #cantcope

Dont mean to rub it in but almost nothing thawed on the yard outside and the backroads here as the ground is frozen solid underneath it. :pac:
    My sisters kids used up their snow this morning and are gonna use up mine tomorrow.
    hdrpl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

lolie wrote: »
    Dont mean to rub it in but almost nothing thawed on the yard outside and the backroads here as the ground is frozen solid underneath it. :pac:
    My sisters kids used up their snow this morning and are gonna use up mine tomorrow.
    hdrpl.jpg

Ffs dont let those kids near your white gold,that stuff is precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

roads are going to be lethal in waterford. Looks like rain on the grass out back except rain is not crunchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

#notfair #cantcope

Sorry champ, but not gonna let rare snow go to waste either! :)

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1347314606537142275?s=20

20210107-223455.jpg

Left up outside Christmas lights and they're under a layer of snow - love the glow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Billcarson wrote: »
    Ffs dont let those kids near your white gold,that stuff is precious.

Ah they're deserving of it. Its the youngest ones birthday this week so i said I'll make a little sled for him.
    I would've let Kermit come and use it up but he cant travel outside his county:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

All partially thawed roads have frozen again, won't affect me tomorrow morning , thank you very much WFH.

A few sneaky little showers making their way down through Mayo, around Claremorris and Knock at the moment. Chance of some Ninja snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just went for a walk in my estate. In sheltered parts the snow stayed (though otherwise it melted). Everywhere frozen hard now though so all is very white and glistening. Might be able to do some sledding on the refrozen snow in the morning. Not bad for an event which could have gone either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just like Danno's scenes, no thaw around houses here near Tullamore. Fields cleared in strong afternoon sunshine but sheltered yards have the same thick 2-3cm snow. Crunchier now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We get freezing rain and Eastern Spain is forecast to get 40-70cm of snow this weekend :eek:

The snow in Espan(y)o is mostly a foot or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The snow in Espan(y)o is mostly a foot or so.

the snow coverage in Spain will be quite remarkable over the next few days. Alot of inland Spain is mountainous but this does seem alot for one of Europes warmest countries.

render-worker-commands-7745797d4-74bpj-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-r7Yd9P.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    the snow coverage in Spain will be quite remarkable over the next few days. Alot of inland Spain is mountainous but this does seem alot for one of Europes warmest countries.

render-worker-commands-7745797d4-74bpj-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-r7Yd9P.png

As a snow lover almost nothing, and I mean nothing, infuriates me more than seeing it snow in Madrid, in SPAIN! of all places (or Athens) and not here.

I'd say Spain sees more snow than we do most years - even at lower levels :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes... 850hPa down to -8c. And soundings looking good.

From watching the radar loop you should have seen snow in your location overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

compsys wrote: »
    As a snow lover almost nothing, and I mean nothing, infuriates me more than seeing it snow in Madrid, in SPAIN! of all places (or Athens) and not here.

I'd say Spain sees more snow than we do most years - even at lower levels :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Madrid is forecasted to drop to a chilly -13 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

The brudder went back to Spain yesterday and lots of pics of snow from the plane. I was shocked to when he told me it was Spain he was flying over. I thought it was from over Dublin. Some parts of the North have had loads since Monday. He showed me more pics from outside his house and its the proper dry snow too not the icy slush we get.

-13c is low for Madrid though even though it is at a high elevation. I only remember it going to -7c in the past number of years.

Supposed to be -7c here tonight. Have Met Eireann taken into account the veil of cloud moving down from the Northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'm in Granada, and lots of snow just outside the city. Nothing in the city as of yet though. Bloody cold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pauldry wrote: »
    He showed me more pics from outside his house and its the proper dry snow too not the icy slush we get.

To be fair the snow we got here was very powdery for an Atlantic based front. I remember commenting yesterday morning when it was snowing, how the snow fell like you'd see on the Yellowstone Park documentaries.

On the ground yesterday jest before noon, it was tough going to roll up the snow to make a snowman for the kids, it took ages. Snowballs were "fluffy" if that is an appropriate way to describe it! :D

Still between 1cm and 2cm on the ground here and temperatures of around -2c. Overnight lows -3.2c owing to a persistent but light breeze from the NNW-NW direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Woowoo....lashing down for the last hour....near Glen of the Downs

Forgive me stupidity but looking at the charts and especially the upper temps, I don't understand why it would snow in Spain with those temps (looks like -1 to -4 uppers) and certainly don't understand why Madrid would get down to -17. What am I missing?

• Advertisement

Nice streamers off the coast and plenty more to come with a bit of luck

A few more because I'm giddy. Streamer from south of Bray through to NewtownmountKennedy by the look of it, dropping about four cm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Greystones getting a nice covering this morning

I notice that netweather radar doesnt pick up the lighter preciptiation at all, nothing showing over Wicklow for example compared to met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Forgive me stupidity but looking at the charts and especially the upper temps, I don't understand why it would snow in Spain with those temps (looks like -1 to -4 uppers) and certainly don't understand why Madrid would get down to -17. What am I missing?

A lot of inland Spain, including Madrid, is higher terrain. Madrid itself is around 650 m amsl. But there is already cold in place, and as it will be a frontal event you don't need such cold uppers.

The Spanish met have named this storm Filomena.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the Madrid province was -15.8 at Madrid Barajas airport (607 m amsl) in February 1945.

Snowfall is forecast at altitudes raniging from 800-1200 m in the south to 400-700 m in the north, so not exactly a whiteout for everyone.

https://twitter.com/AEMET_Esp/status/1347167955507933188

Madrid is at similar altitude to much of the wicklow mountains but crucially its 100s of kometersfrom the coast
    So a northerly there has no sea influence at all and remember on occasion it gets cold enough at altitude in the Sahara desert for snow
    So Madrid is no biggy

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Hi guys,

Been a LONG time since I posted but always lurking in the background. Wanted to ask if there were any more updates on potential east coast snow showers this evening which was called out on this thread during the week. Not much chat on it so assume it may no longer be the case?

Thanks in advance

Clondalkin in Dublin

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Madrid is at similar altitude to much of the wicklow mountains but crucially its 100s of kometersfrom the coast
    So a northerly there has no sea influence at all and remember on occasion it gets cold enough at altitude in the Sahara desert for snow
    So Madrid is no biggy

Thanks GL and AuntySnow. Madrid for snow (but not -17) I got, but low level snow everywhere else confused me. I note GL is saying it won't be sea level everywhere else so that makes more sense.

Imagine how excited boards.es/weather must be right now all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Thanks GL and AuntySnow. Madrid for snow (but not -17) I got, but low level snow everywhere else confused me. I note GL is saying it won't be sea level everywhere else so that makes more sense.

Imagine how excited boards.es/weather must be right now all the same!

The Madrid forum on Meteored is fairly active alright, as are the other provincial fora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

compsys wrote: »

Nah, its the Syrian or Tunisian snow that really grinds my gears. Pretty sure I saved a snow cover map one year where the entire Northern Hemisphere (Eurasia, North America and Japan etc) down to the Med and parts of North Africa was Snow covered....and Ireland alone was an Oasis if green. The most northerly snow free part of the planet by far. ie. The Eurasian Snow cover stopped at the Welsh Coast, yet to our South France, Spain and parts of North Africa had Snow cover.

Advertisement