Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

macnug wrote: »
    Is that for the snow in Laois or do you expect more?

We're probably too far inland to catch the Irish Sea showers expected tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The wind is northerly tonight so it’s my part of the islands turn for snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Had a cm or so here in ashbourne ,most of it gone now.
    Went for a walk with the kids before the thaw. Love the freshness to the air that snow brings.
    Anyway hopefully something better before this winter is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Perhaps you should create a thread?

Most of the snow appears to have been washed off the Inishowen mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Well Aunty Snow, thanks for the heads up. We got the kids some waterproof gloves yesterday, and they were out in their pyjames, coats and gloves this morning before the sprinking of snow thawed - delighted with themselves.

I know nothing about weathering terms, but I hope this stratopheric weather event sends down whatever lobs of air it needs to in Scandinavia in order for some kind of front to push the north atlantic drift in a different direction, and we get some russian wind which means we'll get more snow, in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

Please do keep us all update with the progress of that. Personally, I don't see much risk for your part of the world apart from high ground but it would be great to hear of regular updates in any case. Another poster suggested you create a dedicated thread for it and if you think that one is warranted for your upcoming event, go for it! That way everyone will be able to keep tabs on your upcoming snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty much got the same amount on New Year's Eve here in D5. It was kind of dusty frozen rain this morning, wasn't really like snow at all. Is there a name for that stuff?

highdef wrote: »
    Please do keep us all update with the progress of that. Personally, I don't see much risk for your part of the world apart from high ground but it would be great to hear of regular updates in any case. Another poster suggested you create a dedicated thread for it and if you think that one is warranted for your upcoming event, go for it! That way everyone will be able to keep tabs on your upcoming snow.

No won’t bother.

No won’t bother.

Have the synoptics changed since you posted? I'd love to get updates of your snow event (and maybe some photos and videos too) as they happen in their own thread. Others from northern areas that will be getting snow too can post there too of course.

You missed out with the recent snow although that was expected but now that it's your turn for snow, go ahead and showcase it.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Have the synoptics changed since you posted? I'd love to get updates of your snow event (and maybe some photos and videos too) as they happen in their own thread. Others from northern areas that will be getting snow too can post there too of course.

You missed out with the recent snow although that was expected but now that it's your turn for snow, go ahead and showcase it.

I’ll wait and see what happens to the temps this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sat image shows how West missed out last night. Just went above 0c at my station to the warm temp of 0.1c :p

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1347190952943902720?s=20

I’ll wait and see what happens to the temps this evening.

Has an element of doubt crept in since you posted that it was your turn for the snow? Why the sudden change to a "wait and see" tactic? If you're not going to create a new dedicated thread (noooooo), can you post some supporting charts and/or GIFs here to demonstrate your theories for a snow event in your area tonight?

Snow in your own area is fascinating but getting regular updates on a snow event from someone else on the island is a close runner up, for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

circadian wrote: »
    Looking out the window here and you'd be none the wiser to snow now. Short lived but nice.

Plenty left here out of the sun. Could hang around till the weekend with a couple of severe night frosts to come.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back to green here in Meath too, just bare tracings of snow on footpath edges. Snowfall last night was somewhere between 0.5cm and 1cm so even the bare minimum thawing would thaw it out.

3.4c temps are falling with each shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I am in D5 and we had plenty of snow showers this morning. Nothing mega but light to moderate falls from 6am until about 9am. We had a light covering of snow but it has since thawed. Kind of surprised it did because the temp has only hit about 1 degree today.

quote="Thelonious Monk;115838989"]Pretty much got the same amount on New Year's Eve here in D5. It was kind of dusty frozen rain this morning, wasn't really like snow at all. Is there a name for that stuff?[/quote]

Keep us up to date. Do you have a guesstimate for when your first shower will be snow? Are you expecting lying slow overnight and if so, what sort of depths are you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

You seem to be one of the warmer parts of the country today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 3.8 degrees in Cork City, nearly 4. Snow all but gone besides shaded areas now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Some very cold air due to move in from the north later tonight/early Friday AM...what exactly is the limiting factor from preventing showers from turning to snow for some in the North?

There is a localised patch of lying snow on the road behind my house down to 700 feet. There is patches of snow at 400 feet so I just missed out.

Some goats.

ZqR7Swz.jpg
    FDSSbOV.jpg
    jjj1Ex6.jpg
    Jko6bfl.jpg
    5ySPOT7.jpgThe hills facing north have absolutely nothing on them.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Some very cold air due to move in from the north later tonight/early Friday AM...what exactly is the limiting factor from preventing showers from turning to snow for some in the North?

Yes... 850hPa down to -8c. And soundings looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Recent rain shower in Limerick (3.45pm).

Sprinkling of snow this morning. It was -3c at 9.00am.

If it rains more and freezes tonight, the roads might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Villain wrote: »
    Sat image shows how West missed out last night. Just went above 0c at my station to the warm temp of 0.1c :p

https://CarlowWeather/status//url]

Was that you on Todayfm this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Roundwood lakes almost frozen solid early afternoon today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Faroe Island sounding from 12Z today shows some very cold air lying in wait. This will move southeastwards overnight and tomorrow, the bulk of which will be over the Scotland tonight and down the Irish Sea tomorrow morning (700 hPa temp down to -20 °C), but -10 °C 850 temps will spread over Northern Ireland tonight. However, this will coincide with a building ridge of high pressure, so showery activity will be more surpressed there as the night goes on.

Convection should be heavy in Scotland tonight and down the Irish Sea tomorrow, but soundings show that altitude will be key in the east. Chance showers may not make much inroads inland along the east, but there missed out last night.

538698.png

538699.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes there is a slight chance of more snow tonight. Besides even if it hails or sleets it will dust the ground in whiteness anyways.

Tomorrow night Met Eireann say -7c but not sure the sky here is capable of staying clear that long. Will prob get downgraded to -4 or -5c (remember when that was an upgrade)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We get freezing rain and Eastern Spain is forecast to get 40-70cm of snow this weekend :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quick snap as the fog began to lift late this afternoon:

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1347210634514083841?s=20

Advertisement