Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Board €20.80 incl. delivery @ Arrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭owen28

I got caught with customs when I purchased a Rasberry Pi from them before. I was able to send it back and received a full refund. Just be carefull regarding extra payments. I was being charged nearly the smae again by custms in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

owen28 wrote: »
    I got caught with customs when I purchased a Rasberry Pi from them before. I was able to send it back and received a full refund. Just be carefull regarding extra payments. I was being charged nearly the smae again by custms in Ireland.

If you buy one at €20.80 your below the €22 limit so you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I know some of the couriers charge huge amounts for 'handling' the customs charge, DHL I think is about €27 flat rate plus whatever customs is due, so be careful ordering if your thinking of adding a few bits to the order, but as the Kerbdog mentioned once it's under €22 your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

KeRbDoG wrote:
    If you buy one at €20.80 your below the

Coming up as 21.55 ? Using paypal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 cojie

Hi OP, not to be a spoilsport but just to share the info......you can get the newest version B for €25 odd on eBay along with casing and power plug. Link below.....

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-and-Model-B-Offical-Case-Black-Power-Plug-White/253628904374?hash=item3b0d75f3b6:g:WhwAAOSwQQBa~V4C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

cojie wrote: »
    Hi OP, not to be a spoilsport but just to share the info......you can get the newest version B for €25 odd on eBay along with casing and power plug. Link below.....

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-and-Model-B-Offical-Case-Black-Power-Plug-White/253628904374?hash=item3b0d75f3b6:g:WhwAAOSwQQBa~V4C

Doesn't seem to include a Raspberry Pi, it's just the case and power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Yep, there is no pi in that ebay listing, wording is borderline a scam

Thanks for this OP.

Ordered one and a few components for less than 22 euro.

Might order. A case next.
    Coming up as 21.55 ? Using paypal

That's probably paypals conversion rate.

You can use your card issuer to pay the conversation rate and it's noticeably less. Even less with a revolut card.

Always let your card issuer hand the conversion fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cojie

Feck yeah, no Pi even included in that eBay listing, I obviously should refrain from offering any info when I’m half asleep ;)

• Advertisement

Cool add on item for less than 17 dollars before discount:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/340-002/digilent

Digilent Solderless breadboard for learning how to build electronic circuits (components not included obviously!)

Manufacturers page:

https://store.digilentinc.com/solderless-breadboard-kit-size-large/
    A UK eBay seller is selling the exact same model for 56 euro!

Should be decent quality, I bought one from China before and the connections were pretty dodgy and unreliable.

You can get jumper wire pretty cheap from Ali:
    http://s.aliexpress.com/Ib6Nzu63

And also this type which is less neat but longer.
    http://s.aliexpress.com/IrURZ3mY

Doge wrote:
    You can use your card issuer to pay the conversation rate and it's noticeably less. Even less with a revolut card.

Just ordered for 20.77 using revolut...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

got one with 'express worldwide' delivery for 20.83 euro . Took this route just to be able to show to the taxman that i paid below the 22e limit

Probably the other methods, with the duty already paid works better if you buy more than one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

As has been said, you'll probably get stung by customs no matter what you paid. Arrow didn't put the sale price on the slip with mine, so as far as UPS were concerned I paid full price for the Pi and international shipping. I had to pay the customs charge and they also threw a nice 20 quid on top for "handling" the customs charge for me.

It took a phone call, an email with the receipt and a week to get the charges refunded.

bertie4evr wrote:
    As has been said, you'll probably get stung by customs no matter what you paid. Arrow didn't put the sale price on the slip with mine, so as far as UPS were concerned I paid full price for the Pi and international shipping. I had to pay the customs charge and they also threw a nice 20 quid on top for "handling" the customs charge for me.

bertie4evr wrote:
    It took a phone call, an email with the receipt and a week to get the charges refunded.

Arrow refunded it or ups ?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Anyone else getting stuck in a loop when they try to click 'secure checkout'? Website just reloads, user still logged on, item remains in cart. Paypal option seems to work but I'd prefer to pay direct on the card. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Hey,
    Thanks for the bargain alerts. Unfortunately I got stung for with a customs invoice for €21 from DHL as the declared value on the package was $35.99. I rang DHL and tried to explain that there should be no charges as the item cost €20.88 inc shipping and the response I got that the should I wish to have the item reassessed that it would cost me €50 processing fee from DHL plus whatever new total Revenue come up with, as a minimum value would be declared to the shipping by Revenue (the lady told me that if the shipping is nill Revenue declare a minimum value, said something about it is on Revenues site). I asked for complaints department, wasn't provided with any details and was told that the only thing I could do is should I wish refuse the item and have it sent back to the supplier and take the dispute from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Just got off a chat with Arrow.

"as per our management the customs needs to be paid for the total value of the items even if you purchased them using a discount"

So probably no refund from them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Prince10r wrote: »
    Hey,
    Thanks for the bargain alerts. Unfortunately I got stung for with a customs invoice for €21 from DHL as the declared value on the package was $35.99. I rang DHL and tried to explain that there should be no charges as the item cost €20.88 inc shipping and the response I got that the should I wish to have the item reassessed that it would cost me €50 processing fee from DHL plus whatever new total Revenue come up with, as a minimum value would be declared to the shipping by Revenue (the lady told me that if the shipping is nill Revenue declare a minimum value, said something about it is on Revenues site). I asked for complaints department, wasn't provided with any details and was told that the only thing I could do is should I wish refuse the item and have it sent back to the supplier and take the dispute from there.

I've had the same issue and talked to the same woman in DHL (she remembered you!)
    I emailed Arrow but, like you, I don't expect any joy. Probably suck it up and never deal with them again

bertie4evr wrote: »

who refunded you?

• Advertisement

Prince10r wrote: »
    Just got off a chat with Arrow.

"as per our management the customs needs to be paid for the total value of the items even if you purchased them using a discount"

So probably no refund from them either.
    Just got off a chat with Arrow -no refund of taxes. if you refuse delivery, it's shipped back and they'll refund the cost. Probably take ages though. Tempted to do it on principle but hardly worth the effort. The same Pi from RS would be 50c cheaper.
    Lesson learned - un-subscribe from Bargain Alerts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Arrow refunded it or ups ?
    tphase wrote: »
    who refunded you?

UPS refunded the extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK as long as you prove what you paid, that overrides whatever is on label. Would DHL not look at the invoice?

If the value were 2 dollars on the declaration but you actually paid 40 euro, they will ignore the declaration (2$) and go by the actual payment / invoice amount (40€).

DHL and / or Revenue can't have it both ways.

Maybe ask for help in this thread...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554&page=83

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

DHL cover with another made up charge, I can't remember the name of it.
    But yep, I'm pretty sure, like Ten Pin said, once you can prove that you paid (in total) under €26 (taking negligent amount into account) then you shouldn't get charged anything, or should apply for a refund from DHL/Revenue if you have paid them.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK as long as you prove what you paid, that overrides whatever is on label. Would DHL not look at the invoice?

If the value were 2 dollars on the declaration but you actually paid 40 euro, they will ignore the declaration (2$) and go by the actual payment / invoice amount (40€).

DHL and / or Revenue can't have it both ways.

Maybe ask for help in this thread...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554&page=83

DHL and customs will accept the invoice value however DHL charge €50 admin fee to change the value and customs will not accept zero as a shipping cost and will apply what they think the cost would be. That would bring the total value well over €22, VAT would be due and would end up more than 3 times the price of the goods

According to DHL, if Arrow had declared the actual cost as the value, the package would have gone through without charge. Arrow say they have to put the retail cost on the commercial invoice (bull, I say but maybe someone who works in revenue can confirm this). Based on the Revenue document linked to below, Arrow are incorrect.

From https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf (pages 4 and 5)

"Customs Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including local sales taxes plus postage, packaging and insurance costs."

"The value of the goods for the purpose of calculating the amount of VAT payable at import is their value for customs purposes, described above, increased by the amount of
    any duty or other tax (but not including VAT)."

Ask Arrow for the invoice and give that to DHL. Once it is under the VAT limit including shipping there should be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

tphase wrote: »
    Just got off a chat with Arrow -no refund of taxes. if you refuse delivery, it's shipped back and they'll refund the cost. Probably take ages though. Tempted to do it on principle but hardly worth the effort. The same Pi from RS would be 50c cheaper.

Same here . Sent a return parcel email notice to ie.imports@dhl.com and i'll wait for arrow to reimburse me ( a week, a month..who knows? )

Arrow RPi deal threads never fail to deliver...

giphy.gif

Got a free Pi Zero from them last time for my troubles. Can't believe they're still screwing up the declared value.

Arrow RPi deal threads never fail to deliver...

Got a free Pi Zero from them last time for my troubles. Can't believe they're still screwing up the declared value.

oqFc3iI.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote:
    Ask Arrow for the invoice and give that to DHL. Once it is under the VAT limit including shipping there should be no charge.

Invoice is already received as part of email...

Advertisement