Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Board €20.80 incl. delivery @ Arrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

So all in it's €42.13 for this Pi.
    Is that a decent price all considered?

Thanks tphase

35 euro is the going rate for a new Pi so nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ok cool. How do I go about firing this back to Arrow now dhl has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

DHL looking for 21.33 customs.
    So i can pay this and get it refunded later?
    I would dispute it now with them, but yes you should be able to get a partial refund later if you produce all of the correct documentation. But you would only get refunded VAT, not DHL's service charge.
    Send them all of the documentation from Arrow and there may be a bit of back and forth, but they can't dispute the invoice, and they shouldn't be able to charge you (admin fees) for arrow's mistake of not putting the shipping charge on the invoice which is how the whole overcharging issue came to be.
    I would be inclined to send it back and get a refund, if they are refusing to budge.
    I choose not to use DHL for any order if I can avoid it.

RPi case available on slow delivery for €1.76
    https://www.zapals.com/transparent-abs-protective-case-for-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-pi-3-model-b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Suckit wrote:

Suckit wrote:

Ordered orig white and red case from aliexpress for 1.34 eur....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭tphase

Doge wrote: »
    35 euro is the going rate for a new Pi so nope!
    where are you getting it at that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Ordered Friday with Fedex. Got it just now, delivered at the door. No extras, no questions asked.

Ok cool. How do I go about firing this back to Arrow now dhl has it?

What's the process here?
    DHL have it out for delivery today.

I might re-order via Fed Ex assuming i get a full refund.

tphase wrote: »
    Note that counterfeit 'original' cases exist (ie the foundation red/white and black ones). While i'm sure they function as a case, they tend to be pretty rough and don't fit together well.

Anything on Aliexpress claiming to be the original case for €1.34 is likely one of these counterfeits.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/fake-cases-raspberry-pi-make-sure-dont-end-one/

From Arrow:
    Hello ST, As we need to provide export documents with the original price on it by law, it will make your order more then 22 EUR and I am afraid you will need to pay for the customs. If you refuse the shipment we can provide a refund only after we received the part back into our warehouse.

From Arrow:

The invoice will have the price paid and shipping costs. That's all you should need.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Arrow Support Hello ST, As we need to provide export documents with the original price on it by law, it will make your order more then 22 EUR and I am afraid you will need to pay for the customs. If you refuse the shipment we can provide a refund only after we received the part back into our warehouse.
    :
    according to Irish Revenue, they need to supply documents specifying the price paid

I might re-order via Fed Ex assuming i get a full refund.
    there's no guarantee that FedEx won't hit you with charges

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Eventually managed to get a refund from DHL on the handling charges, (used the following link https://www.dhl.ie/en/contact_center/contact_express/contact_express_management/contact_management_form.html) now I need to follow up with Revenue process below to get the VAT back. Will be attempting this by email. Thanks again to SuckIt for the post pity about all the jumps through hoops.

Once the charges are paid to DHL you should apply in writing to - Revenue Customs Service, Cargo Terminal 1, Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin K67 D8P3 - email cargodap@revenue.ie - telephone -01/812 2604, for a refund of the additional VAT paid. Your application should include - your full name and address, your PPSN, proof of payment of the VAT and copies of the invoice and declaration (as attached to your enquiry). They will process your application and amend the error in the declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ed1140

what value did Arrow put on the commercial invoice?

There was no value put on the package only on the invoice enclosed

Prince10r wrote: »
    Eventually managed to get a refund from DHL on the handling charges, (used the following link https://www.dhl.ie/en/contact_center/contact_express/contact_express_management/contact_management_form.html now I need to follow up with Revenue process below to get the VAT back. Will be attempting this by email. Thanks again to SuckIt for the post pity about all the jumps through hoops.
    thanks for that

I sent them a message, will up date on their response to me.
    Note: if you want to keep a copy of your message, best to type it up in an editor and copy and paste it into the form - once you click send, it's gone....
    (I took a screenshot too for good measure)

ed1140 wrote: »
    There was no value put on the package only on the invoice enclosed
    that's why you weren't charged

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Got in contact with DHL on duty charge & their reply

"I am sorry for any inconvenience caused to you, customs calculate the charges based on the commercial invoice sent by your sender. Please find attached the commercial invoice for your reference."

in the invoice they sent me has a value of $34.49 (this was just for the pi, no postage listed).

Going to push them a bit to see if I get any further, but I see it going back to Arrow & the pain trying to get a refund from them :rolleyes:

your best bet seems to be follow the lead of Prince10r except I would suggest put in your request to Revenue for a refund first. Once they accept there is no liability, DHL haven't a leg to stand on, neither can they charge you a €50 re-assesment fee as Revenue have already accepted the re-assessed value

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I don't think I want that hassle with revenue, found them less that incompetence before.
    Got in contact with Arrow as well, again useless. Figure it'll be a return to sender & credit card charge back....

The Pi Hut (before shipping), Amazon which have free shipping etc..

• Advertisement

I actually had 3 packages attempted to be delivered by DHL from Arrow today but told the driver that 2 would have to go back.

So all i got out of the deal was a few SMT resistors and capacitors which came in a 3rd box.

It was very frustrating to have the Pi and other items within arms reach and have to send them back haha!

Doge wrote: »
    The Pi Hut (before shipping), Amazon which have free shipping etc..
    Amazon looks like the better deal, £5 off offer at the minute so converts to around €37. The Pi hut would work out at €40.52 (f€4 more if you want the same speedy shipping as Arrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

My Pi arrived this morning with DHL, he tried charging me €21.50 I asked him what for and he told me it was calculated as the difference between the price I paid online and the price of the item to buy here, I responded bull**** and told him to take it back. Was in a crappy mood so probably didn't handle it the best. Will arrow refund the full price on this as I can't be arsed going through the whole rigmarole with revenue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Amazon looks like the better deal, £5 off offer at the minute so converts to around €37. The Pi hut would work out at €40.52 (f€4 more if you want the same speedy shipping as Arrow)

I always use Radionics
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1373331/
    for €36.25 you can collect from their shop or inc shipping €41.66

I think I've exhausted all options with DHL
    I used the link supplied by Prince10r to contact them, their reply made it clear they would not entertain any refund of charges as the mistake is on the part of Arrow, not DHL.
    In fairness they are correct however, since they had refunded others (well, one at least) I hoped to benefit from that precedent.

If anyone waiting for one of these Pi's is being hit for charges, the best course is to refuse to accept the shipment and get onto Arrow for a refund.

If you want to avoid charges, your best bet is to send DHL a copy of the sales invoice before the shipment arrives in Ireland. They can amend the value before it's presented to customs. You'll also need to know the AWB number.

Burzum wrote: »
    My Pi arrived this morning with DHL, he tried charging me €21.50 I asked him what for and he told me it was calculated as the difference between the price I paid online and the price of the item to buy here, I responded bull**** and told him to take it back. Was in a crappy mood so probably didn't handle it the best. Will arrow refund the full price on this as I can't be arsed going through the whole rigmarole with revenue etc.
    Either he doesn't understand vat/duty at all, or I don't.
    Or - he thought that was the best way to explain it to you :confused:
    Or - DHL have decided to do what he said. Which I would think is illegal or at the very least a grey area. That would effectively mean that you are buying it from them.
    I won't pretend to understand contracts between the buyer and the seller across the Atlantic, but I would never have thought that the courier could decide to ask for the price difference.

Suckit wrote: »
    ....he doesn't understand vat/duty at all....
    nor does he give a sh!t

the latest from Arrow

"Customs requires that we show the full price of an item on the Commercial Invoice. VAT is calculated on that price. (Customs is indifferent to promotional prices or discounts.)

At least half of the DHL charge is their "Advancement Fee", which all carriers charge when they pre-pay the VSAT on your behalf. The minimum DHL fee is 12.50€. We have a shipping option specifically tailored for the EU: DHL's BreakBulk (DDP). The VAT is calculated and collected as part of the purchase, but there is no advancement fee. Please keep that in mind for future orders."

"Customs requires that we show the full price of an item on the Commercial Invoice. VAT is calculated on that price. (Customs is indifferent to promotional prices or discounts.)

At least half of the DHL charge is their "Advancement Fee", which all carriers charge when they pre-pay the VSAT on your behalf. The minimum DHL fee is 12.50€. We have a shipping option specifically tailored for the EU: DHL's BreakBulk (DDP). The VAT is calculated and collected as part of the purchase, but there is no advancement fee. Please keep that in mind for future orders."
    Lost my original post.

The jist of it was, it doesn't matter what the invoice says was the RRP. It only matters what you paid in total.
    If you paid less than €22 (or less than €26 including negligible amount) then you are due to pay nothing else to the Government.
    You only need to show proof of the amount that you have paid in total including shipping.

If DHL have any hidden BS charges or admin fees, then that has nothing to do with VAT you don't owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This doc...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

...from revenue is reasonably clear that proof of what you paid is all that is required. They mention PayPal invoice / receipt as acceptable proof. DHL are chancing their arm on the presumption that people are afraid of Revenue and won't question it.

Advertisement