Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Dynasty League

• 26-06-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Hi there, just setting this thread up to see what sort of interest there would be in playing a Dynasty League on here. We can decide our settings if we get enough interest, but it is like a larger scale Keeper League, where you will keep all or most of your roster. Then there will be an annual Rookie & free agent draft, where you add to your roster by drafting NFL Rookies and any free agents (players not on the league's rosters). This obviously requires the same players coming back every year (hopefully) as it would be more fun to build up your own team than a replacement player taking over your team.

Masked_man posted in the general talk thread on the American Football about this, and credit to him for the idea. Right now we have 3 players (I assume he still wishes to play) so post here if you want to join. All experiences welcome - for me it will be my first try at this! :p Any Q's just ask, there's some more general info here

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/dynasty-hq

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I'm in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

In :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

In :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

UCD AFC clearly more popular than me :P

This was the format I suggested
    Masked Man wrote: »
    I was thinking this format:

8 - 12 teams on nfl.com

30 player rosters

Starting positions:
    1QB
    1HB
    2WR
    2OffFlex
    1TE
    3IDP (1DL, 1LB, 1DB) - wouldn't mind adding more IDP and having a flex option
    -http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/help/custom-IDP for those like me who don't know much about IDPs

Annual FA/Rookie draft.

I'd like to have a budget for waviers/fa as well, but I'm not that pushed about it.

Seeing as we have 9 people interested already we should make a decision on number of players. My vote would be for 12.

Who's the third person mentioned in the op ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

mayordenis is the other player

I'd be happy with 10 or 12 players, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

In if not full. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭boccy23

If available I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

If there's any space I'll take part!

If everyone is happy to cap it at 12 (imo best suited to Dynasty) - this is the list I have (apologies to those who posted too late)

1. UCD AFC.
    2. Masked_man
    3. mayordenis
    4. CoachTO
    5. Spongey1975
    6. JaMarcus Hustle
    7. barbarians
    8. eagle eye
    9. adrian522
    10. Mr. Guappa
    11. UnitedIrishman
    12. BigBadRob83

is everyone happy with the general format masked man has posted above? I think having 1DL, 1LB and 1DB is the way to go as this simplifies your drafting a little bit (not worrying about 2 starting in one position and not the other etc.) I would be open to a D Flex if everyone else is also. Could you explain what you mean by the budget on FA?

UCD AFC wrote: »
    is everyone happy with the general format masked man has posted above? I think having 1DL, 1LB and 1DB is the way to go as this simplifies your drafting a little bit (not worrying about 2 starting in one position and not the other etc.) I would be open to a D Flex if everyone else is also. Could you explain what you mean by the budget on FA?

I'd be for adding more IDP for a few reasons. Firstly in each of the categories, DL, LB, DB there is a top tier of each that will score pretty similar each week and if we all have one of each then it negates the IDP factor of your starters. Secondly it will take defensive players out of the rookie draft altogether (bar a few special players). Why draft a defensive player when you only need to carry 2 of each position and no rookie will break into the top 24 of their position for at least 2 years (again bar a few special players). Thirdly, since you only need 2 of each position, ie 6 players overall then that leaves 24 offensive players to fill your roster and thats a lot IMO. I'd be for increasing that maybe 2 of each and a flex, 7 overall

As for the budget, i may be wrong but have seen it in other leagues that you have a budget for the year and to get a free agent in during the year you put in a blind bid and highest bidder gets him and your bid gets taken off your budget until it is used up. It replaces the waiver wire. Is that right Masked Man?

My mistake, I missed the 30 man roster part. Therefore I hadn't factored in how the roster would be divided. I agree with you (made a good point regarding the rookie draft also), I think your suggestion of 2 each and a flex sounds about right.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it Spongey.

This is the NFL help page about it.

Like I said I'm not pushed. Dynasty + IDPs + Budget would be very very new to most people I'd say (including me).

That budget sounds like something I'd very much make a balls of, very early.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Yeah, that's my understanding of it Spongey.

This is the NFL help page about it.

Like I said I'm not pushed. Dynasty + IDPs + Budget would be very very new to most people I'd say (including me).

That page explained it a lot better than i did but it was just as i thought

We'll see how everyone wants in relation to the IDP, my vote is for 2DL, 2LB, 2DB and 1 Flex. I'd also be for the WAB, never done it before so its intriguing to see it in operation

Secondly it will take defensive players out of the rookie draft altogether (bar a few special players). Why draft a defensive player when you only need to carry 2 of each position and no rookie will break into the top 24 of their position for at least 2 years (again bar a few special players).

The draft is FA as well so defensive players will still be a part of it. And off the top of my head it could be good to have young players who could be defensive superstars in a while. They have trade value and it's dynasty so they'll still be on your team when they come good.

I'm not arguing against having more IDPs, your first point seems really valid.
    That budget sounds like something I'd very much make a balls of, very early.

I probably would as well, but the rosters would be pretty deep so the first draft is the most important thing.

• Advertisement

Like the FAAB (Free Agent Auction Bidding) bette rthan waiver wire, especially for a long-term keeper league. Players go to the teams that value them most that way, rather than just who has no.1 waiver claim and adds another element of strategy that way.
    What do people think for a draft: are we looking at snake draft or auction?
    If there was auction, could have salary cap rules going forward, can help keep league competitive.

Also, any preference on which site we'll be using?
    Have used a few (ESPN, NFL, CBS and couple others) over the years. For leagues like this where we want massive customisation have found ESPN the best, has a very comprehensive and customisable League Manager option (and free, and app available)

Looking forward to playing with defensive players, haven't done it before.

I would much prefer snake draft, haven't used an auction one before so would be a risky experiment for me!

I'd go with snake for the same reasons but I understand the reasons for an auction.

I was thinking nfl.com, it seemed to have everything you need and the help section was clearer than espn. I've also never used anything else for fantasy football. It's UCD's call though.

anyone else wanna give their 2 cents on which website? I'm happy with either so will run with the majority

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1 vote for espn, mobile app was much better last year and I find the fantasy site better, but happy to go with nfl.com if that's what's decided.

Im not pushed on which site we use. I've no experiences with how each site are with dynasty leagues

http://gyazo.com/0c6a3c654fad7828794d314f9a9a229f

hi guys, I have just set up an ESPN league to check out the settings etc. Here is the rosters setup at the minute. If everyone could take a minute to answer the 3 questions in the survey (I will PM all the members) it should clear a lot of things up about the league. Don't worry too much about the draft time (holidays or whatever - we'll work that out closer to the time if needed.) :D

I don't think the bench size is big enough.

Looking on the DLF forum:

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dlforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15027

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dlforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19009

The very minimum people seem to go with is Bench=Roster. And some people said 2:1 in favour of the bench.

I also think IR would be good, but I'm guessing with a big bench that wouldn't matter as much.

Agree on bench size. I usually see leagues that have a bench just over the number of starters and then they add 5 or so for rookies.

For example here if we take one player from each of the defensive positions to 2 each then we'll have 14 starters. If we have a roster of 35 then we can have 2 players per position if needed and 5 rookies to take a pop on. We can then cut down to 30 in time for the 5 round rookie draft each year.

Oh an IR would be good as well

• Advertisement

I don't like the IR thing. You can leave a guy on it all year if you want which I don't think is fair.

Agreed that a bigger bench is needed. Why so many defensive starters? I think 3 at each of those positions is far too many.

Thanks for the feedback lads, will wait to give everyone a chance to respond before I change the roster size (it will be increased though from what has been posted so far). Don't know why I put 3 x IDP, was working off spongey's post on the last page which says 2 each, my mistake.

Just corrected that and moved the 3 extra slots to bench

http://gyazo.com/0c6a3c654fad7828794d314f9a9a229f

One other suggestion made in poll results so far was switch one of the offensive flex spots to RB, thoughts on that?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't like the IR thing. You can leave a guy on it all year if you want which I don't think is fair.

The IR thing is designed to leave a guy on it all year but you can only put someone on it if they have been designated IR in real life. It just clears a roster spot for anyone unfortunate enough to lose a player for the season through injury without having to drop him

The IR thing is designed to leave a guy on it all year but you can only put someone on it if they have been designated IR in real life. It just clears a roster spot for anyone unfortunate enough to lose a player for the season through injury without having to drop him
    Are you sure? I think you can put somebody on it at any time during the year whether he is injured or not. The only thing is you cannot use that player until you drop somebody from your roster.

If a person has to be on IR IRL(:D man I'm almost confused myself now!) then thats fine I have no problem with that.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=additional-notes
    INJURY DESIGNATIONS
    The system uses the NFL's official disabled list to update players' injury status.

MANAGING YOUR INJURED RESERVE
    Players who are eligible for the Injured Reserve (IR) are designated with an asterisk and a "IR" in red. To move a player on your team to an IR slot click on the "Manage IR" link at the top of your team page. This link will only appear in leagues which use IR slot(s).

IR-eligible players can only be moved to the IR slot from your active roster or bench. Players can not be added directly to your IR slot from free agency, as you must first add the player to an open bench slot.

To move a player from your IR back to your active roster or bench, click on the "Manage IR" link at the top of the Team page and activate the player

Other way would definitely be unfair.

If we go with it we have to decide how many IR spots to use. 4 sounds like a lot to me but it seems with dynasty that deeper is the safer option for pretty much everything.

Think I'm going to do more study for this first draft then I do for college.

Would be happy with 1 or 2 IR spots, definitely worth having as I have found out from using the DL in my baseball keeper league. Though might not as big of an issue with this large roster size.

Would be in faovur of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Just one question on the Dynasty vs. Keeper format;
    Are there a set number of players we hold onto each year or is it entire roster and then a rookie draft w/ roster cuts to get to limit?

Have been commish for a couple of other leagues, and just a few points to note on some of the league rules that can have effect on draft preparation, roster construction etc:
    -Scoring: How many points QB gets for passing TD
    -Scoring: Points per Reception for RB/TE/WR? 0, 0.5, 1
    -Scoring: Anything counted for the return game? (Can boost value of players like Hester/D-Jax, etc)
    -Roster QB: Some deeper/dynasty type leagues go with 2 QBs to nullify the massive advantage having someone like 2011 Rodgers
    -Trade review/veto system? Usually made up of a 3-man committee that people can refer trades to that they think are unbalanced or veto system (4/5 votes to veto a trade)
    -Can future draft picks be traded?
    -Is there a cost for keeping players? Idea of this is to foster some kind of turnover in rosters to keep the activity up, rather than people just sitting on their whole roster year-on-year

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of the issues have come across

• Advertisement

Would be in faovur of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Why 1 flex over 2?

Scoring could affect my opinion but I'd vote for 2 flex.
    Are there a set number of players we hold onto each year or is it entire roster and then a rookie draft w/ roster cuts to get to limit?

Keep the entire roster (you can obviously cut players). Then a rookie/fa draft.
    -Is there a cost for keeping players? Idea of this is to foster some kind of turnover in rosters to keep the activity up, rather than people just sitting on their whole roster year-on-year

No, the point of dynasty is to keep your roster and try and develop your team for the future.

That's what I'd want, makes it more realistic. And trades become more important so anything that helps trading would be good imo.

Not sure if it's built in to ESPN, but we can find a way to make it work if we go with it.
    -Roster QB: Some deeper/dynasty type leagues go with 2 QBs to nullify the massive advantage having someone like 2011 Rodgers

My first reaction is that I'd prefer 1QB, haven't given it much thought though.
    -Trade review/veto system? Usually made up of a 3-man committee that people can refer trades to that they think are unbalanced or veto system (4/5 votes to veto a trade)

Default is league wide vote isn't it? I don't really have a preference either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I also suggested 1 Flex / 2 RB simply because there's something weird about being able to get away with just 1 RB on your roster. I think 2 flex positions on offence is 1 too many, but that's just imo.

Would be happy with 1 or 2 IR spots, definitely worth having as I have found out from using the DL in my baseball keeper league. Though might not as big of an issue with this large roster size.

One IR sounds about right to me, we will have a big bench after all

Would be in favour of 2 RB & 1 Flex over 2 Flex & 1 RB

Me too, mainly because I'm used to having 2 RBs from normal fantasy leagues (also similar with 1 QB below)

-Scoring: How many points QB gets for passing TD
    -Scoring: Points per Reception for RB/TE/WR? 0, 0.5, 1
    -Scoring: Anything counted for the return game? (Can boost value of players like Hester/D-Jax, etc)

Right now I've left the scoring as ESPN defaults, we can alter that as we go (right now I've just set up the league to get an idea of what we can and cannot do)

I wouldn't be a fan of this as most people would wish to carry a bench QB for bye weeks and in case of injuries - this would mean having 3 QBs each?

Right now this is in place, anyone can vote to veto a trade and if the trade gets 3 vetos it is blocked.

As MM said there isn't an official way of doing this on ESPN but one way I could think of is after trading a pick (for a player as an example) you tell your trade partner who to select when it comes to the pick?

Masked man cleared up a good bit of this, my responses are in bold

Thanks for the responses Masked Man/UCD AFC
    As MM said there isn't an official way of doing this on ESPN but one way I could think of is after trading a pick (for a player as an example) you tell your trade partner who to select when it comes to the pick?

You should be able to enable this on an ESPN league if you are using the League Manager version to set up the league.
    Once you have set the league to Keeper (just put amount of keepers at the roster size, this basically makes it dynasty then), go into the 'Draft' settings area and there should be an option at the bottom saying "Allow Draft Pick trading"

Thanks Rob, have set draft pick trading to allowed. Just a few things from poll results

Only one person hasn't answered it, so thanks for quick responses. All of the comments on the poll have been cleared up on here.

The vote went 7-4 in favour of a free agent bidding system. Could anyone who has used this before suggest a figure for us to use?

Only 3 people voted for an offline draft. I would much prefer an online one, find it much more exciting (and dramatic!) so if we could sort out a time suiting everyone closer to the time I would go for it.

I'll post up the updated roster in a couple of days, is everyone happy with the changes - switching one of the flex spots to a second RB (2RB, 1 Flex) and changing the defensive players (2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1 flex)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I also suggested 1 Flex / 2 RB simply because there's something weird about being able to get away with just 1 RB on your roster. I think 2 flex positions on offence is 1 too many, but that's just imo.

Agreed. If you are putting in a flex 1 is enough. 2 Flex's will evaporate RB/WR far too quickly it will also leave very little depth issues all over the place. Played in a league with 2 flex positions once and it was awful.

As for the auction on the free agency? Have most of you ever done it before? Its retarded. Most Auction leagues have auction Drafts and FA. You get 200m in the Draft and 50-100m for the FA.

Its starts off like fun but trust me when it gets into the thick of it finding players is near impossible as someone always bids on players for the ****s and giggles and zaps up their 50-100m just for the sake of taking someone off the agency and running up prices. Also with Large rosters and bench auction FA is a tad mad because you will end up carrying more than a few injured players on your roster. In a league I was in last year I was one of the unlucky ones who carried 3 injured QBs and ended the season with no money and no starting QB or RB.

The vote went 7-4 in favour of a free agent bidding system. Could anyone who has used this before suggest a figure for us to use?

Usually budget is $100 when I've used it.
    Two different types of auctions I've seen:
    1. Highest bidder wins for whatever price their bid was
    2. Highest bidder wins for whatever price the 2nd highest bid was + $1

e.g. Two teams on Player X. Team A bids $65, Team B bids $50
    1. Team A wins bid at $65
    2. Team A wins bid at $51

Must say I prefer this system to the waiver claims, as it adds a bit of strategy to FA pickups rather than whoever happens to have No.1 waiver claim that particular week and the players go to whoever values them most. In a league last year, think I bid nearly all my money on Cam Newton in week 2 and worked out brilliantly for me

With a league this deep, can't see the system being too influential anyway as there aren't likely to be really impactful players available.

Must say I prefer this system to the waiver claims, as it adds a bit of strategy to FA pickups rather than whoever happens to have No.1 waiver claim that particular week and the players go to whoever values them most. In a league last year, think I bid nearly all my money on Cam Newton in week 2 and worked out brilliantly for me

With a league this deep, can't see the system being too influential anyway as there aren't likely to be really impactful players available.

Agree with this. After doing a bit of research on how it works I voted for the bidding system aswell. Think it'll be a bit more interesting than having to pray that someone ahead of you doesn't pick up the player you want. Adds a bit more to the team management side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is it too late to get in on this or be put on a. Reserve list?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Is it too late to get in on this or be put on a. Reserve list?

We had 2 extra guys who posted after the 12 spots were taken so they're in my mind as reserves (hopefully we don't have to call upon them :p )

tomorrow or monday I'll send everyone in the league a PM to gather the e-mails so I can start adding everyone to the league. then hopefully we clear everything up and start looking forward to the draft! thanks for all the feedback in the thread and please do continue to raise any questions and problems you may have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Well keep me in the list even if its for next season and a team opens up:-)

Signed up for this and there are two flex players. I think that should be changed to one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Signed up for this and there are two flex players. I think that should be changed to one.

Yes that's correct, I changed it now :)

Have the invites been sent out then?
    Didn't get one yet

Have the invites been sent out then?
    Didn't get one yet

Hi Rob, either I left you out of my PM list by accident or I have deleted the PM. Either way could you PM me your e-mail you wish to use for the league. I have sent everyone else an invite and all but 2 (not including Rob) have joined

• Advertisement
Advertisement