Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cazale wrote: »
    I'd love a sample set of 100-200ml to try them side by side. I asked them before and they said they have no plans to do it unfortunately.

Keep an eye out on the FB groups and you might be able to buy a set.
    I do a regular bottle split with a group of lads and the Waterford trio was the most recent one.

There is a BIG difference between the 3 releases, with Ratheadon being a winner for me.

My very rudimentary notes below

BALLYKILCAVAN - this for me was quite youthful on nose and palate, short finish.
    BANNOW ISLAND - Less of the new make on the nose, rounded mouthfeel and balance, fair bit of spice at the end, water didn't help.
    Ratheadon: Very similar to Bannow Island on the nose and palate, but a bit more depth to it, finish was much better no sharp increase in spice.

Overall, quite impressive for a 3.5 yo whiskey, especially the second two

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Captain obvious here.
    Why not pour a drop of water into any whisky that's stronger than you typically like to drink???

Yeah in two minds about that maybe I'm bringing a wine tasting mentality to it which I shouldn't be ... given that it's a comparitive tasting I suppose wanted to try the whiskies under the same circumstances. If I had more than 15-20mls to play with I might have tried it at different water ratios.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah in two minds about that maybe I'm bringing a wine tasting mentality to it which I shouldn't be ... given that it's a comparitive tasting I suppose wanted to try the whiskies under the same circumstances. If I had more than 15-20mls to play with I might have tried it at different water ratios.

It's well established that a few drops of water can vastly improve things, don't too worried about giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

mik_da_man wrote:
    BALLYKILCAVAN - this for me was quite youthful on nose and palate, short finish. BANNOW ISLAND - Less of the new make on the nose, rounded mouthfeel and balance, fair bit of spice at the end, water didn't help. Ratheadon: Very similar to Bannow Island on the nose and palate, but a bit more depth to it, finish was much better no sharp increase in spice.

Ordered 50ml of each from The sky and Grounds new online site. Interested to see if they are worth the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone a member of the celtic whiskey club? Just wondering was the tasting pack for July just a sample of eagle rare 10? This is my first month being a member and I thought they sent out two samples as opposed to just one.

• Advertisement

Waterford have announced more releases coming at the end of July.

BALLYMORGAN: EDITION 1.1
    SHEESTOWN: EDITION 1.1
    BANNOW ISLAND: EDITION 1.2
    BALLYKILCAVAN: EDITION 1.2
    Online exclusive - Broomlands: Edition 1.1

9,000 bottles of each whisky will be available throughout Europe, Taiwan and Japan, with totally unique Single Farm Origins coming to the US in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Diamond Dogs

Hi all,

For the Belfast Whiskey Week 2020 online events, has anyone purchased a ticket for the Method and Madness session scheduled for 25 July?

I am asking because I noticed that the ticket buying stages did not ask for a delivery address, but the idea is that the samples for the session will be posted to you...

Anybody else experience this?!

Hi all,
    For the Belfast Whiskey Week 2020 online events, has anyone purchased a ticket for the Method and Madness session scheduled for 25 July?
    I am asking because I noticed that the ticket buying stages did not ask for a delivery address, but the idea is that the samples for the session will be posted to you...
    Anybody else experience this?!

Have signed up for one of the other sessions. The eTicket says that:
    The organiser will contact you with instructions on how to redeem your ticket and access the event.

I haven't had any contact yet either. I wonder if the shipping will be handled per distillery rather than Belfast Whiskey Week themselves?

Actually, when I recheck my ticket on Eventbrite I see a billing and shipping address populated when I click "View complete attendee info".

ps interesting article on the festival here:
    https://thatsdramgood.com/2020/07/01/belfast-whiskey-week-the-all-encompassing-whiskey-festival/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3jtO1YZNmEmzb6d54OhSCBv944iOj8t0Ej-_3AO9SXon5sshYqf1Dj9EU

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Diamond Dogs

Thanks for that feedback, oddessy06. It seems to be that the Method and Madness event is the only one with that quirk, i.e. the purchase process did not request a delivery address!

I've contacted the organiser since by Eventbrite, so hopefully they will sort it. The event is sold-out, so I'm guessing other ticket buyers encountered this issue, maybe they didn't realise it yet!

Thanks for that link too, great article and site. That interview gives you a great sense of the logistics of this festival, fair play to them for organising it!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

Powers 3 Swallow is on sale in Tesco at the moment sounds like it could be worth a punt at 37euro?
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=290670747

Its probably the cheapest single pot still whiskey going at the moment

• Advertisement

Got my Waterford whisky order from Drops from the Sky. Looking forward to trying them.

Hogzy wrote:
    Anyone a member of the celtic whiskey club? Just wondering was the tasting pack for July just a sample of eagle rare 10? This is my first month being a member and I thought they sent out two samples as opposed to just one.

I'm not a member but I think it's one sample every two months with the occasional two samples.

Redbreast Dream Cask Tasting

Back in May Irish Distillers released a limited edition 28 year old Redbreast “Dream Cask”. We were lucky enough to secure a bottle and we always planned to open it and share it with as many people as possible.

Win a ticket to the tasting.

If you have already purchased at ticket to our online whiskey festival Distilled you will automatically be entered into the draw to win a tasting set for this event. There is still time to purchase tickets for our event Distilled and be entered into the draw, you can find all the information about it here http://distilled.irish/

The Redbreast event will take place on Friday 24th July at 7p.m. with Redbreast ambassador Ger Garland and there will be 22 sets to be won. Please note tickets will not be available for purchase for this event. Sample sets will be posted out in good time for Irish entries. For international entries we will ship and you should receive on time however it will be recorded and you can watch it back later if there is a delay.

Distilled Online Whiskey Festival.

If you haven’t got your tickets you can still purchase up until Sunday evening here http://distilled.irish/ remember to select masterclasses or we will allocate them to you randomly. It’s a great line up with guests including Peter Mulryan from Blackwater Distillery, JJ Corry’s Louise McGuane, Midleton master distiller Kevin O’Gorman, Irish whiskey writer Fionnan O’Conner, Larissa Marrichi the Midleton micro distiller and Jennifer Nickerson from Tipperary Whiskey. And there will be whiskey, plenty of it! Including our exclusive Single cask, cask strength Highland Park which will only be available for sale to ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Redbreast Dream Cask Tasting

Back in May Irish Distillers released a limited edition 28 year old Redbreast “Dream Cask”. We were lucky enough to secure a bottle and we always planned to open it and share it with as many people as possible.

Win a ticket to the tasting.

If you have already purchased at ticket to our online whiskey festival Distilled you will automatically be entered into the draw to win a tasting set for this event. There is still time to purchase tickets for our event Distilled and be entered into the draw, you can find all the information about it here http://distilled.irish/

The Redbreast event will take place on Friday 24th July at 7p.m. with Redbreast ambassador Ger Garland and there will be 22 sets to be won. Please note tickets will not be available for purchase for this event. Sample sets will be posted out in good time for Irish entries. For international entries we will ship and you should receive on time however it will be recorded and you can watch it back later if there is a delay.

Distilled Online Whiskey Festival.

If you haven’t got your tickets you can still purchase up until Sunday evening here http://distilled.irish/ remember to select masterclasses or we will allocate them to you randomly. It’s a great line up with guests including Peter Mulryan from Blackwater Distillery, JJ Corry’s Louise McGuane, Midleton master distiller Kevin O’Gorman, Irish whiskey writer Fionnan O’Conner, Larissa Marrichi the Midleton micro distiller and Jennifer Nickerson from Tipperary Whiskey. And there will be whiskey, plenty of it! Including our exclusive Single cask, cask strength Highland Park which will only be available for sale to ticket holders.

Is it really only 10 euro per master class ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hijpo wrote: »
    I have started into a single pot still sample pack. 50ml measures of Redbreast 12, green spot, powers John's lane release and midleton Barry Crockett legacy. After that I have the three Waterford Distillery releases on the way. Have my eye on a bottle of lagavulin 16 also.

Barry Crockett not surprisingly at 250 a full bottle wins by miles ,Powers Johns Lane ,second several lengths behind and the other two distant also rans for me .

Couple of Whiskeys tonight.

Octomore 09.1. Heavily peated at 156ppm but the smoke is subtler than I was expecting. A really nice dram.

GlenDronach 18. A proper sherry bomb with a beautiful nose and lovely natural colour. Dry fruits and hints of chocolate. Gorgeous.

Couple of Whiskeys tonight.
    Octomore 09.1. Heavily peated at 156ppm but the smoke is subtler than I was expecting. A really nice dram.
    GlenDronach 18. A proper sherry bomb with a beautiful nose and lovely natural colour. Dry fruits and hints of chocolate. Gorgeous.

I thought your next bulletin would be the Waterford tastings!

odyssey06 wrote:
    I thought your next bulletin would be the Waterford tastings!

I want to savour those. Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Picked up my Pilgrimage bottle and sample from Waterford distillery today. Anyone else get theirs? Lovely design to the bottle. The sample smells very interesting .

50101549826_f518be4d8a_c.jpg
    50101549841_c7765ce0ca_c.jpg

Wailin wrote:
    Picked up my Pilgrimage bottle and sample from Waterford distillery today. Anyone else get theirs? Lovely design to the bottle. The sample smells very interesting .

Could be a bit of a collectors item that. To drink or keep is the dilemma!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

MuhAFMNA7ZT56PsFhls2TQHfzt3_KgZ8veJmaVDUOrNrtg6CKOBLkrAper_o16cDulSbq6I_ECEe550CbEsFxj6Wwm1GsLf9ILLFgjmnq-oL81uEvzASAD_tmH52Oi7SvbMgSu_uudI3QLTp3cveEaVhQQ0Mf23hdnUircjONfULdx2aJZVcAOL_xySr3P5yMOsf2o2uxcy94_gwiXUqnLeaE3iLoOkFH_Ugd7US17JoYl0MDIHVXC1JJA_vbqVeAswB78m1zoV0s9oKW7MRpa8yRR-zPxwm_90LBf1s-yoTiZljhCoaekyNjBoBvDT4EthjuexYAu5JzAjfD3djh7l9Eii3qCdmYAnqC6JBB9SoaB2DPbodJ0uYs0fevX9EBbALgSNOEUMz7A8INES22Ul_hieRvR1NHFLp0qYXWoFC3_Lf4QBAeLheup4Wry5RW38qctj6yTySHYExvhMpXUBNg8moFjgMZUE9vESFZvLw_w6TwQjBN9wxTKKEfFbh-o9sDyLw1DHS-JkzFTkyU2jeqUzRjyeFzPP_KWbRSTGepA8PkNC1k7GOLm9DTDqzj1I2bu_p98tVSpMOb_hjbMUupW15d75IgQzEIoFR_u-PzcatNrlxP6-okX7ezr_11w71cTCBZX5-xVS2BwxCuoFrQZWhasya26Vr1-2vdPRWyAULPTwW1KpLxqiDbw=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

Got mine as well. Definitely keeping it for a special occasion at least.

Unfortunately couldn't make it down yesterday, will pop down this coming week hopefully.

In fairness the bottles and boxes are a work of art.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Unfortunately couldn't make it down yesterday, will pop down this coming week hopefully.

In fairness the bottles and boxes are a work of art.

As far as I'm aware, any bottles not collected yesterday will be posted out next week.

Wailin wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, any bottles not collected yesterday will be posted out next week.

Not all of them, you can choose to have it posted or arrange another day to visit and pick it up, which I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Has anyone tried this 'Single Malt Irish Whiskey 8 Year Old (That Boutique-y Whisky Company)'

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/that-boutiquey-whisky-company/single-malt-irish-whiskey-that-boutiquey-whisky-company-whiskey/?srh=1

Signed up for this one.

Paul John Tasting Friday 31st July at 7:30 p.m. via Zoom

We are delighted to be bring you some Indian whisky from the Paul John distillery in Goa. Global brand ambassador Shilton Almeida will guide us through 6 wonderful whiskies from something fruity to smokey delights. The range is very diverse and it promises to be an excellent event.

Tickets are on sale now via the following link below

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=pjtasting

Should be interesting.

Wailin wrote:
    Should be interesting.

It's Belfast Whiskey week too so I have introduction to Irish Whiskey on the Monday, pre 70s Irish Whiskey on the Tuesday, Indian whisky on Friday and JJ Corry on the Sunday. Works out at 36 samples. The missus probably throw me out half way through it!

It's Belfast Whiskey week too so I have introduction to Irish Whiskey on the Monday, pre 70s Irish Whiskey on the Tuesday, Indian whisky on Friday and JJ Corry on the Sunday. Works out at 36 samples. The missus probably throw me out half way through it!

JJ Corry is the saturday at 6 unless you are replaying it. Have signed up for it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Make sure to take your remaining samples with you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement