Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is funding Spirit Radio ?

• 20-04-2015 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Who is really bank rolling that farce of a radio staion ? Why have the bai allowed them get away with so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Get away with what?

They have sponsors and don't pay as much for the infrastructure AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tessat

Get this, from the wiki page they are a registered charity and survives on donations and volunteers.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Geniass wrote: »
    Get away with what?

They got their licence on the basis of being an national Medium wave station in the republic of Ireland, yet their only mw transmitter has better coverage in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

According to this.. http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/

SPIRIT costs 37,000 a month to run.
    Cheap as chips with all those FM transmitters, I would have thought.

Remember, spend spend and God will send!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork is a bit overloaded with religious radio. We've Spirit and Life FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Again from the Spirit website..........

"Our board of directors are unpaid and represent a broad spectrum of the Christian community. Spirit Radio is a Not For Profit organisation and has charitable status."

Also, all the directors names and images are there for all the world to see, including Dermot Mannion (Aer Lingus fame) and Sean Ashmore (4FM/Sunshine) and many others.

It's not so much their existence that bothers me. It's what sort of an audience are they trying to attract? As I write this, I'm hearing Olly Murs and piss poor presentation. They also play a lot of annoying US Contemporary Christian music.

What is Spirit Radio? A station for US style Christian Evangelicals or Irish Catholics?
    'Cause I don't think you can super serve both in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expunge wrote: »
    What is Spirit Radio? A station for US style Christian Evangelicals or Irish Catholics?
    'Cause I don't think you can super serve both in this country.

Its definitely not aimed at Catholics.

L1011 wrote: »

It's aimed at Christians, of which Catholics are a subset.

Well, that might be the problem so.
    A bit more Rosary reciting and 'Faith of Our Fathers' type content might bring a bigger flock - old time religion, you might say.

All that Protestant Scripture quoting and Christian Rock from Georgia and Alabama will do nothing for the underserved traditional Catholics in the Rep of Ireland.

Likewise, bonging bells and auld wans (of both sexes) on their knees reciting Catholic prayers will not entice the Evangelicals.

There's probably a larger audience to be had chasing older Catholics than Evangelicals in the Republic of Ireland. Although, the age profile would be high.

• Advertisement

Bit more than a subset in the Republic of Ireland, I would have thought.

Still 85 per cent (nominally) RC, according to the last Census.

Its very much evangelical, which Catholics are not though.

Catholics are much less likely to open their wallets to fund a niche media service than any evangelicals are, as can be seen in the US where its pretty common yet there's minimal Catholic religious channels - EWTN being the exception.

Its very much evangelical, which Catholics are not though.

Catholics are much less likely to open their wallets to fund a niche media service than any evangelicals are, as can be seen in the US where its pretty common yet there's minimal Catholic religious channels - EWTN being the exception.

I seem to recall that at least one major funder/infrastructure provider is an Irish Catholic.

Expunge wrote: »
    Bit more than a subset in the Republic of Ireland, I would have thought.

That's more to do with your lack of understanding of what a subset is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

The worst part of my day driving is when I have to hurriedly flick by Spirit and Life FM without letting any freaky indoctrination seep out.

That's more to do with your lack of understanding of what a subset is.

Oh right, thanks for your correction. Subset: part of a larger set. Great!

It's more to do with the dominant profession of Christians in this country being Roman Catholic, with culturally very little in common with small (but growing) other Christian sects.
    Next largest Christian group would be Church of Ireland at around 2 per cent of the population.
    There's not much for either of those two groups on Spirit Radio, in my view.
    But if ya like happy,clappy Christian Rock from American South - it's just the thing!

But yes, you are correct. There do seem to be a number of Catholics funding or supporting Spirit Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

Who is really bank rolling that farce of a radio staion ? Why have the bai allowed them get away with so much

My recollection is that the funding of this station is transparent with donations from listeners and some resources put in by Christian faiths. I don't have an issue with. Id personally be far more concerned about the amount of Irish radio and newspapers owned by Denis O'Brien

If you don't like Spirit , switch it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

tessat wrote: »
    Get this, from the wiki page they are a registered charity and survives on donations and volunteers.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Radio

When they started off, they had full time paid on and off air staff and a commitment to partake in the JNLR.

They stopped paying the majority of staff after 8 months of going on air after they took in next to no advertisement income. At a staff meeting to break the bad news it emerged that all their wages had been drawn from a cash bond put forward before they went on air.

They also mysteriously pulled out of a book 2 years ago within days of it's release and currently provide no credible researched listenership figures. It is a condition of their licence that they must provide same should they opt out of the JNLR.

On their regular donation pledges, it would be interesting to see how much of their income comes from same and crucially, a cash breakdown of same. As it stands we can't be sure what they say comes in actually comes in. Unlike many charitable bodies who solicit donations Spirit don't have any published accounts so its very hard to find out what income and outgoings they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"Spirit Radio is a Not For Profit organisation and has charitable status."

All their earnings (donations) are tax free? Sweet.
    Christians – Working Together

Spirit Radio is bringing Christians together from a wide range of backgrounds. At the heart of the Christian Gospel is the message that God has sent his son Jesus Christ to redeem us and bring us into a relationship with himself – this is the Good News that Spirit Radio seeks to communicate to people across Ireland.

It's a lot easier than knocking at doors, looking for suckers converts.

Personally I prefer some adult radio, so I'll be sticking with Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I hope they're being monitored for referendum balance compliance.

I'm not suggesting that they're not making a big effort to be balanced but it's just that religious groups and the No campaign seem to go hand in hand so I would imagine being a Christian radio station couldn't be an easy task for the next few weeks.

I think one might have to just avoid discussing the topic entirely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

I think they're doing a great job. More interested in making a difference than making a profit. Don't know any other Irish radio station you can say that about.

Ferrier wrote: »
    I think they're doing a great job. More interested in making a difference than making a profit. Don't know any other Irish radio station you can say that about.

They have that little in the way of ad revenue coming in that making a profit will never ever be something they will have to worry about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Ferrier wrote: »

Never trust the 'holier-than-thou' types, would be my advice. Take it or leave it. It always transpires that they have ulterior motives, usually money. It's not rocket surgery. Just look at the big 'Donation' banners on their website along with tax exemption and the words 'filling their pockets' comes to mind.
    Spirit Radio plays the best contemporary Christian music

Personally, I find 'contemporary Christian music' lacking in originality and quality whilst also being a bit creepy. Maybe that's just me.

On the subject of religious radio, I discovered Taliban FM! Not much to it, just deafening silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

As they say "The Devil has all the best radio stations"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

549 AM silent carrier for the last couple of days and now off air completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Nothing on their website,AM is costly to run but would Spirit really risk upsetting the BAI and switch off AM ? And would the BAI have the guts to pull the plug on Spirit for breaching its licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Just checked on caradio and its back on

comparing the two, the audio on 549kHz is lagging Spirit's Cork 90.9 FM by about 1 second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Antenna wrote: »

comparing the two, the audio on 549kHz is lagging Spirit's Cork 90.9 FM by about 1 second.

Thanks,no need to have AM and FM in sync

Antenna wrote: »

Yes, came back late morning or early afternoon. Must have been a technical glitch :)
    Still seem to be on lower power than when they first came on though. My guess about 6 Kw now.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    Thanks,no need to have AM and FM in sync

No need but it's good practice.

I've heard RTE's 252 at various latency times over the years, compared with FM. Sometimes as much as 2 secs behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Personally, I find 'contemporary Christian music' lacking in originality and quality whilst also being a bit creepy. Maybe that's just me.

billy doesn't like it either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

parasite wrote: »

I guess there are always people with Strong beliefs who support groups that represent their point of view -- God knows the YES supporters for the 34th amendment to the constitution got money from "Some secret places". Massive amounts. €5 million from Atlantic Philanthropy its reported [Hidden support from Impact Union and other trade unions. [ without asking permission of their Members ].

I dunno -- Spirit Radio plays some great songs from a musical perspective. Its positive and offers the only media to give the other view to all the commercial stations. Much of the money comes from the public. I feel bombarded by TV Radio and Newspapers who offer nothing but depressing news. Some of the lyrics and dialogue on commercial stations seems to advocate Self centredness and carry a seedy content. A bit of spice if you are mature enough to process it might be ok but you have to realise that acting on such suggestions will only eventually cause you grief. Lets be Liberal about Spirit radio. Theres room for all.

Keepan Eye wrote: »
    Its positive and offers the only media to give the other view to all the commercial stations.

They carry the exact same network news as every other commercial station and have done so for some time.

Why the BAI hasn't pulled it off air for massively failing to meet its licence conditions (transmission wise) I don't know.

Spirit have recently added a webpage that briefly breaks down their income and expenditure. One wonders if they are doing this more an beal bocht than in the interests of transparency. Either way it makes for dour reading as the gap between income and expenditure is massive.

They still don't seem to provide verified up to date audience figures from a reputable M+R company as per their contractual requirements. With just €5,000 a month income from advertisements its fairly clear that the listeners aren't there in volume enough to attract sales.

http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

37 grand is a hell of a lot to raise from donations and sponsorship every month.

I suspect there are other, hidden benefactors involved, maybe connected with foreign religious broadcasters.

37 grand is a hell of a lot to raise from donations and sponsorship every month.

I suspect there are other, hidden benefactors involved, maybe connected with foreign religious broadcasters.

And with €5,000 per month being the ad revenue, they are almost totally dependent on donations, subscriptions and hand outs. It's all too easy for any body to donate large sums of money to the station and this can be done at no risk of scrutiny or obligation to declare same. The potential is there to unduly influence the stations editorial stance should a body or person wanted to. It is my opinion that their use of subscribers and donations needs to be more transparent and open to scrutiny in case such abuses arise.

Spirit have recently added a webpage that briefly breaks down their income and expenditure. One wonders if they are doing this more an beal bocht than in the interests of transparency. Either way it makes for dour reading as the gap between income and expenditure is massive.

They still don't seem to provide verified up to date audience figures from a reputable M+R company as per their contractual requirements. With just €5,000 a month income from advertisements its fairly clear that the listeners aren't there in volume enough to attract sales.

http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/
    Its a great station that I find very relaxing. I swop around but when I want to chill I like to listen to SR. If only it was nation wide. 700,000 ready listeners I'd say in the Republic and Cross border another huge listenership. Sure RTE rips us all off for a hefty licence fee that is used to pay very large [ undisclosed ] salaries. If only they'd pay a few decent guests for their Friday Night and Saturday night talk shows. GAYBO in his day used to have some fab International guests. In the last analysis I say lets be sincerely Liberal -- there is room for all of us on the Island.

700,000 ready listeners I'd say in the Republic and Cross border another huge listenership.

Even if you put radios into every grave in Ireland Spirit still wouldn't have 700,000 listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Tom Monaghan, perhaps? After all he does fund the Legatus lackeys (Jugendschutz, Iona, Mothers & Fathers Matter/Provisional Iona etc.).

• Advertisement

Even if you put radios into every grave in Ireland Spirit still wouldn't have 700,000 listeners.

Maybe you're right but sure why worry about SR so? Its impact against the overwhelming effects of the rest of Irish Media surely can hold no threat to you.

Maybe you're right but sure why worry about SR so? Its impact against the overwhelming effects of the rest of Irish Media surely can hold no threat to you.

What impact?

Its news comes from Newstalk. It doesn't create any new content.

What impact?

I find its Impact very relaxing. Cheers people up. Counteracts the negativity of the other stations. You need a bit of balance, a little bit of Hope. An anti dote to the Religion of Noreligion I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gadget_hq

What impact?

what's your big issue? you say the news only comes from Newstalk, which isn't true, I hear they carry their own news during the day and I've even heard Spirit Radio sourced news on Newstalk also. Spirit carries it's own news during the day, and evenings and weekends its network news like many other radio stations in ireland.

gadget_hq wrote: »
    what's your big issue? you say the news only comes from Newstalk, which isn't true, I hear they carry their own news during the day and I've even heard Spirit Radio sourced news on Newstalk also. Spirit carries it's own news during the day, and evenings and weekends its network news like many other radio stations in ireland.

The issue is the (inaccurate) claim that it provides any alternative news-wise. Their "own news" during the day is their own reader working off Newstalk content. You get the same news everywhere else.

The issue is the (inaccurate) claim that it provides any alternative news-wise. Their "own news" during the day is their own reader working off Newstalk content. You get the same news everywhere else.

Not true L1O11. For example when all other commercial stations [ 99.9%] promote the same slant on the 34th and the 8th; Spirit Radio gave both an airing. Persons who try to muzzle debate [as widely accepted during the 34th even by my friends with gay children ]; ....the people trying to muzzle debate are not true Liberals and provide no useful contribution to the development of a true liberal pluralist society.

Not true L1O11. For example when all other commercial stations [ 99.9%] promote the same slant on the 34th and the 8th; Spirit Radio gave both an airing. Persons who try to muzzle debate [as widely accepted during the 34th even by my friends with gay children ]; ....the people trying to muzzle debate are not true Liberals and provide no useful contribution to the development of a true liberal pluralist society.

The BAI has found absolutely nobody in breach, to date, on balance during the referendum debate. I don't think many people have the viewpoint that anyone was muzzled.

Screaming from every rooftop that you've been silenced doesn't mean you have, you know.

If you want to talk about balance, Spirit is flagrantly in breach of its licence conditions as regards coverage and valid audience research but is not even told off for it; whereas commercial stations do get warned.

The BAI has found absolutely nobody in breach, to date, on balance during the referendum debate. I don't think many people have the viewpoint that anyone was muzzled.

Screaming from every rooftop that you've been silenced doesn't mean you have, you know.

If you want to talk about balance, Spirit is flagrantly in breach of its licence conditions as regards coverage and valid audience research but is not even told off for it; whereas commercial stations do get warned.

'G'way outta dat' your havin' a laugh. " Screamin from the roof top" --Please send me the links to any Irish Indo or Irish Times articles from journalists on this. OR RTE broadcasts by Duffy, Finnucane et all ........99% of Irish Media went out of its way NOT to give a balanced view. Count the articles in the Irish Indo for months before the 34th. BIASED
    Sure even on the day of the Ref the Indo was writing articles pro one side.

Now look at RTE, every chance they get, out comes the 'soft soap' to propangadize for RTE's view only. This gets around the BAI as they mask the propaganda in "Candy floss fauning". Not a debate but a Love in with a rep from RTE's point of view.
    When GAY people are saying it was a perfect Management of Media spin [ for which they are to be applauded] I think its a QED.
    Sadly when you muzzle one side from my and your experience ;the outcome is not good.
    There is nothing wrong with admitting the MEDIA is biased and corrupt on many issues. Its the starting point of recovery for democracy and a return to our liberal equal accepting country.
    SR is a beautiful oasis of calmness positivity and good orderly direction for you and me.

'G'way outta dat' your havin' a laugh. " Screamin from the roof top" --Please send me the links to any Irish Indo or Irish Times articles from journalists on this. OR RTE broadcasts by Duffy, Finnucane et all ........99% of Irish Media went out of its way NOT to give a balanced view. Count the articles in the Irish Indo for months before the 34th. BIASED
    Sure even on the day of the Ref the Indo was writing articles pro one side.

You are aware that the print media isn't regulated for balance, right? Utterly irrelevant to a thread on a broadcaster.
    SR is a beautiful oasis of calmness positivity and good orderly direction for you and me.

"orderly direction" - erm, no thanks. I don't take direction from radio stations.

Sorry to drag this one up from the grave. Spirit raised €40,000 this week in another drive. All of this was with no mention of the fundraising drive on their Facebook, Twitter or website :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement