Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

ET302, a four-month old Boeing 737-8 MAX, reg ET-AVJ.

https://www.jetphotos.com/registration/ET-AVJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

Flight radar last has it climbing at 8600ft, flight only lasted 4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

tnegun wrote: »

Another Max. Surely not another lion air scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

Here's the FR link https://fr24.com/2019-03-10/05:41/12x/ETH302/1fc0cdb5 very sad for all involved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

tnegun wrote: »

ADD is at just over 7,600ft, so it barely climbed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Two nearly new 737 max crashed in the past few months something not right with these planes.

My thoughts are with the poor people on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Terrible news for the passengers families. Cannot imagine what they are going through now.

Looking at the flight radar, it looks as though another plane was flying in the opposite direction over it at the time it disappeared. It hardly crashed trying to avoid another plane?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Terrible news for the passengers families. Cannot imagine what they are going through now.

Looking at the flight radar, it looks as though another plane was flying in the opposite direction over it at the time it disappeared. It hardly crashed trying to avoid another plane?

I was thinking that ....

Plane was put into service in October which makes this worrying .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Two nearly new 737 max crashed in the past few months something not right with these planes.

My thoughts are with the poor people on board

So you already know what caused this crash? Fair play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

From avherald
    The last transponder data were received from position N9.027 E39.153 about 21nm east of Addis Ababa at FL086. Terrain elevation at that point is 8130 feet MSL, FL086 corrected for QNH indicates the aircraft was flying at 8173 feet MSL at that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just announced on sky news there's no survivors according to the state broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

So you already know what caused this crash? Fair play...

2 crashes with new planes in the past few months from the same family.

Its worrying I don't have a clue what happened but irs something that need to be looked at just like the 787 engine issues.

Again my thoughts are with the family's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

RIP :(.
    My partner was on ET302 a few months ago. It was the connection on to Nairobi for ET505 LAX-ADD when it had a stop in DUB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

This is the second one lost in the last few months. This plane was only registered in November.

Boeing may need to be issuing more than safety warnings for the 737 Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Eerily similar to Lion Air crash. Could see a grounding of the MAX fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd say a lot of blood just ran cold in the greater Seattle area.

If this is another Lion Air, i.e. an ultra-modern Aircraft's computer intervening in response to erroneous speed and attitude readings from its own systems and compensating with fatal flight control inputs, then its most serious and fundamental flight safety issue since the Airbus joystick input can of worms (AF447 etc)

May the victims today rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Very sad news. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Larbre34 wrote: »

If this is another Lion Air, i.e. an ultra-modern Aircraft's computer intervening in response to erroneous speed and attitude readings from its own systems and compensating with fatal flight control inputs, then its most serious and fundamental flight safety issue since the Airbus joystick input can of worms (AF447 etc)

Agree totally - as a sideline re your comment on AF447- the aircraft was fully serviceable.

A truer word re blood running cold in seattle this morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

How many 737Max are in service now?
    IF this was found or early evidence points to this being the same as Lion Air are we likely to see the plane grounded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Larbre34 wrote: »

Might be something a lot simpler than that...

"last transponder data were received from position N9.027 E39.153 about 21nm east of Addis Ababa at FL086. Terrain elevation at that point is 8130 feet MSL, FL086 reported by the Mode-S Altimeter (which always measures to standard pressure 1013 QNH) corrected for QNH indicates the aircraft was flying at 9027 feet MSL at that position."

RIP to all involved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

lfc200 wrote: »
    How many 737Max are in service now?
    IF this was found or early evidence points to this being the same as Lion Air are we likely to see the plane grounded?

330 according to this.

http://www.b737.org.uk/sales.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

"In a press conference the Ethiopian Airlines CEO stated that the pilot of #ET302 reported difficulties with the aircraft to ATC. He was given clearance to return to the airport."

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is this the same plane Ryanair have 200 of starting delivery in spring? Or is it a different variation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

Is this the same plane Ryanair have 200 of starting delivery in spring? Or is it a different variation

It's pretty much the same (737 MAX 200), just a higher density version with additional emergency exits because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Agree totally - as a sideline re your comment on AF447- the aircraft was fully serviceable.

A truer word re blood running cold in seattle this morn.

can i ask why Seattle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Blanco100 wrote: »
    can i ask why Seattle?

Home of boeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

Negative_G wrote: »
    Home of boeing.

Chicago these days

Company HQ is Chicago, aircraft are built in Seattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pummice

Irish passport holder on board. My thoughts go out to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

RIP to all on board, this aircraft passed through Dublin on delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Absolutely heartbreaking to see this happen, may the 157 souls on board rest in peace after this awful tragic crash...

I hope that Boeing make some serious checks on all there Max aircraft, and ground them all until they are fully proven to be safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭nc6000

Comhra wrote: »
    Company HQ is Chicago, aircraft are built in Seattle.

I'm sure people in the factory where this plane was made are also worried. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Absolutely heartbreaking to see this happen, may the 157 souls on board rest in peace after this awful tragic crash...

I hope that Boeing make some serious checks on all there Max aircraft, and ground them all until they are fully proven to be safe...
    They are fully proven to be safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flying colleague was onboard going on days off, he leaves behind a wife and two kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

smurfjed wrote: »
    Flying colleague was onboard going on days off, he leaves behind a wife and two kids.

Absolutely terrible, condolences to his wife, kids and yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Condolences, was he the Irish national?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So very sorry to hear that. Words are never enough.

A friend of mine was on the Ethiopian from Dublin earlier this morning, landed in Addis just before the crash. His bags are missing, but I'm guessing he doesn't care too much about that now.

Condolences on the loss of your colleague.

was he the Irish national?
    No, Kenyan

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Rip and condolences.

I have flown and will be flying on this type of plane in the future. If it's the same situation as lion Air does that mean the pilots were not trained regarding the issue? Re false sensor readings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Limpy wrote: »
    Rip and condolences.

I have flown and will be flying on this type of plane in the future. If it's the same situation as lion Air does that mean the pilots were not trained regarding the issue? Re false sensor readings

It seems crazy 2 planes of the same type have gone down in such short order, and in a very similar manner, hopefully some answers come and prevent any future tragedies.

Until such time as there's confirmation that both accidents of this aircraft variant are not related, I would think passengers world-wide are going to be nervous flying this type if they're aware of such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Sincere condolences to you and your colleagues Smurfjed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't need confirmation - I wouldn't get on one of these Boeing death traps for love or money. Has general aviation seen anything like this since the Comet?

DC-10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Would there be any figure on the total number of commercial flying hours of this type or number in service already?

There are now reports of "pencil whipping" issues with the flight control system.

Would there be any figure on the total number of commercial flying hours of this type or number in service already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ News just confirmed his name on the Six One this evening. He is confirmed as Michael Ryan from Co. Clare. He was an engineer working on projects with the World Food Programme. The World Food Programme has confirmed that one of their colleagues killed in the crash was an Irish citizen & has been in contact with Mr Ryan's family. My sincere condolences go out to his family and to all of his friends & colleagues. R.I.P. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Comhra wrote: »
    Until such time as there's confirmation that both accidents of this aircraft variant are not related, I would think passengers world-wide are going to be nervous flying this type if they're aware of such.

In fact there are three incidents. The Lion Air plane which crashed had a problem on its previous flight. That flight continued because the pilot reported that the problem "seemed" to have resolved itself. Lion Air refused to comment on this incident because of the ongoing investigation into the crashed flight.
    The fact that all three similar type incidents involved two relatively new aircraft and occurred within minutes of take-off seems to indicate a strong possibility that there could be an issue with this aircraft type which is not long in service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In fact there are three incidents. The Lion Air plane which crashed had a problem on its previous flight. That flight continued because the pilot reported that the problem "seemed" to have resolved itself. Lion Air refused to comment on this incident because of the ongoing investigation into the crashed flight.
    The fact that all three similar type incidents involved two relatively new aircraft and occurred within minutes of take-off seems to indicate a strong possibility that there could be an issue with this aircraft type which is not long in service.

The flight track of the vertical speed doesn't look good:

Ethiopia-flight.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement