Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hes very boring but he does the basics very well
    I think because he became a pro so late in life he doesnt need to play upto his ego or try be something he is not he is happy just to do what he has to do to win,

Theres lots of good fights for him now, Whyte,Uysk, AVP, even Wilder, i could see ways he could ends up in the ring with any of then,
    In saying that he may not beat any of them

He interviews like a moron as well and that does nothing to add enthusiasm. His impression of Usyk is full on cringe I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But he’s a very effective operator.

Who is AVP? I think he could well beat Whyte his jab is much better and so is his footwork. Whyte is much more aggressive but his basics are all over the place and he can’t stay focussed. He could be up against Wilder but I can’t see how Wilder wouldn’t make that massive reach and speed count at some point. Wilder KO in any round but I’d expect mid rounds. Ortiz might be a good match up for Joyce. Lots of fights there for him but he will want to get the best money fight I’d imagine that’s Usyk. I give him a real chance with Usyk as well but I don’t think prodding him with the jab would be enough to do the same damage as Dubois.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    He interviews like a moron as well and that does nothing to add enthusiasm. His impression of Usyk is full on cringe I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But he’s a very effective operator.

Who is AVP? I think he could well beat Whyte his jab is much better and so is his footwork. Whyte is much more aggressive but his basics are all over the place and he can’t stay focussed. He could be up against Wilder but I can’t see how Wilder wouldn’t make that massive reach and speed count at some point. Wilder KO in any round but I’d expect mid rounds. Ortiz might be a good match up for Joyce. Lots of fights there for him but he will want to get the best money fight I’d imagine that’s Usyk. I give him a real chance with Usyk as well but I don’t think prodding him with the jab would be enough to do the same damage as Dubois.

Ye he is very boring and has no star power , he is almost to respectful for the business he is in ,

Alexander Vladimirovich Povetkin

I honestly think Joyce is clever enough to know where he stands and will go into any of them fights knowing he is an under dog,

He has got a lot of flak over his style and lack of personality so I'm delighted for him getting the win and hopefully get himself and nice big pay day or two now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

surprised dubois quit, i know hes young but that does not bode too well for the future, thought joyce showed a good chin tbf, but jesus he comes across terrible and he just doesn't have the humor to even try be funny. Dubois seems like a nice guy but again very camera shy, not the 2 sharpest knives in the drawer unlike fury who is by far the wittiest and funniest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I would sum up the fight as Dubois throwing in occassional 3o seconds of good work then allowing Joyce to jab the head off him with no head movement

I can understand why there were scorecards so far apart because different judges will value the quality higher than the constant little jabs to the head

Long way back for Dubois as learning the required head movement is not easy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I would sum up the fight as Dubois throwing in occassional 3o seconds of good work then allowing Joyce to jab the head off him with no head movement

I can understand why there were scorecards so far apart because different judges will value the quality higher than the constant little jabs to the head

Long way back for Dubois as learning the required head movement is not easy

It stank of Dubois having no amateur experience and lacking the real basic's
    He couldn't close the distance or set anything up properly ,

I'm convinced his 30 seconds of walking Joyce down throwing hard leather was a way of trying to force Joyce into a fire fight , It was desperation that Joyce didn't fall for ,

Again Joyce is no world beater but being a Olympic silver medallist without being athletically explosive or quick handed means he must have a very good knowledge of the basics and it showed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fights like Saturday night does make one wonder why we have a 380 page thread on the worst division in boxing. Scary the lack of talent coming through too. Once Fury, Wilder and Joshua retire there's going to be very little. Two of the biggest hopes in Yoka and Dubois both looked a fraction of what they're hyped up to be at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it was worth watching to see franks face when he realised Dubois wasnt the second coming to be fair, but it is a worrying time for the heavy weight scene, the americans just arent getting into boxing at hw, if they are big its football or basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cyrus wrote: »
    it was worth watching to see franks face when he realised Dubois wasnt the second coming to be fair, but it is a worrying time for the heavy weight scene, the americans just arent getting into boxing at hw, if they are big its football or basketball.

Or MMA.

Who was the last great HW? Evander? Thats depressing.

The Nal wrote: »
    Or MMA.

Tyson Fury is possibly the greatest HW of all time and we are lamenting how bad current is??

Tyson Fury is possibly the greatest HW of all time and we are lamenting how bad current is??

Sorry no to clarify, I meant the last great American HW.

Assume you're joking about Tyson Fury being possibly the greatest HW of all time?

Either way, yeah, the current HW scene is a shambles in terms of quality.

• Advertisement

Or MMA.

Wlad is a top 10 heavyweight of all time for me.

If Fury beats Joshua it's hard to argue against him being top 10. If he beats Joshua and Usyk (presuming Usyk gets some high level wins at the weight) I think you literally can't argue against him being top 10 all time.

Or MMA.

No even great American heavy weights in MMA currently

Its NBA & Baseball & Football and understandably so

Iv always maintained that we as boxing fans have not scratched the surface of what guys are a capable off,

Its very very rare for boxing to get guys who are the best athletes in there early teens , they all go into other easier and more money spinning sports , Boxer's tend to be kids with troubled pasts and from tough area's its just the way the sport is ,

If any of my boys are good athletes (little young yet) i'll push them into things other than boxing & iv been around the sport for nearly 35 years

Look at the current top 3 heavy weight for instance

Fury a traveller its part of there heritage ,
    AJ an ex drug dealer who got involved to keep out of trouble
    Wilder only took up the sport late to make money because his daughter was sick ,

Boxing does not have an allure to top early teen athletes only in some very rare cases ,

Morrison J wrote: »
    Wlad is a top 10 heavyweight of all time for me.

If Fury beats Joshua it's hard to argue against him being top 10.

Not to drop a bomb in the thread but ahead of? Foreman, Dempsey, Frazier, Holyfield, Holmes?... Just 5 at random outside the top 5 (for me).

Beaten Wilder and a shot Klitschko in a snoozefest. Maybe with a win over Joshua and Usyk as you say yeah. I hope it happens. But the standard is so poor its difficult to compare era to era. Andy Ruiz was HW champ last year FFS. Embarrassing for the division. Not quite Leon Spinks, but close.
    No even great American heavy weights in MMA currently

Its NBA & Baseball & Football and understandably so

Iv always maintained that we as boxing fans have not scratched the surface of what guys are a capable off,

Its very very rare for boxing to get guys who are the best athletes in there early teens , they all go into other easier and more money spinning sports , Boxer's tend to be kids with troubled pasts and from tough area's its just the way the sport is ,

If any of my boys are good athletes (little young yet) i'll push them into things other than boxing & iv been around the sport for nearly 35 years

Look at the current top 3 heavy weight for instance

Fury a traveller its part of there heritage ,
    AJ an ex drug dealer who got involved to keep out of trouble
    Wilder only took up the sport late to make money because his daughter was sick ,

Boxing does not have an allure to top early teen athletes only in some very rare cases ,

Well Miocic, Jones (at HW weight now) and Cormier all great. But I take your point. A lot of the kids are steered towards other sports yeah. MMA is massive now though with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Cyrus wrote: »
    More money in football or basketball sadly

The internet isn’t for everyone

Not to drop a bomb in the thread but ahead of? Foreman, Dempsey, Frazier, Holyfield, Holmes?... Just 5 at random outside the top 5 (for me).

1 Ali
    2 Louis
    3 Foreman
    4 Lewis
    5 Holyfield
    6 Frazier
    7 Holmes
    8 Tyson
    9 Wlad
    10 Liston

It's all very subjective obviously but thats probably my top 10 in that order. Good few interchangeable ones but Ali and Louis the clear top 2.

Tier 1:
    Ali, Louis.

Tier 2:
    Foreman, Lewis

Tier 3:
    Holyfield, Frazier, Holmes, Tyson.

Tier 4:
    Wlad, Liston

If Fury cleaned out the division by beating Joshua and Usyk I think there's a very strong argument to stick him in that tier 3. Probably even the higher end of it.

Morrison J wrote: »
    1 Ali
    2 Louis
    3 Foreman
    4 Lewis
    5 Holyfield
    6 Frazier
    7 Holmes
    8 Tyson
    9 Wlad
    10 Liston

It's all very subjective obviously but thats probably my top 10 in that order. Good few interchangeable ones but Ali and Louis the clear top 2.

Tier 1:
    Ali, Louis.

Tier 2:
    Foreman, Lewis

Tier 3:
    Holyfield, Frazier, Holmes, Tyson.

Tier 4:
    Wlad, Liston

If Fury cleaned out the division by beating Joshua and Usyk I think there's a very strong argument to stick him in that tier 3. Probably even the higher end of it.

This is mythical lists from a different age. Fact is Tyson Fury would play with all them in their peak

So so much bigger and as talented boxer as any of them

They were great days but the world has moved on

This is mythical lists from a different age. Fact is Tyson Fury would play with all them in their peak

Prime Lewis vs Fury would've been a slobberknocker

Prime Lewis vs Fury would've been a slobberknocker

I think he might be only one who would give good test

Beaten Wilder and a shot Klitschko in a snoozefest. Maybe with a win over Joshua and Usyk as you say yeah. I hope it happens. But the standard is so poor its difficult to compare era to era. Andy Ruiz was HW champ last year FFS. Embarrassing for the division. Not quite Leon Spinks, but close.

Well Miocic, Jones (at HW weight now) and Cormier all great. But I take your point. A lot of the kids are steered towards other sports yeah. MMA is massive now though with kids.

DC is retired, Miocic is 38 and Jones hasn't fought at that weight

Jomes is a funny one hes an absolute beast but the smallest and least athletic of his brothers

He's a tough matchup for all but definitely wouldn't play with all of them. Prime Mike Tyson for example would be a bit of a nightmare for Fury. Always been open to the overhand right from smaller fighters.

Even take Sonny Liston. He'd be able to jab with Fury, attack his body and put combinations together on him. He's also tough as ****. Got tools that Fury has never really faced. You'd have to make Fury the favourite but Liston could definitely give him problems imo.

• Advertisement

Fury is my favourite at the moment but I don’t think comparing other eras is that useful or measurable. I can understand why he beats guys who he has 40lbs and 6 inches on but they’re from 50 years ago so the size of people has evolved a lot and the nature of professional sports is radically different.

However, I just can’t resist this temptation so I’m going to say what I think would happen. For a start Lewis cuts him in two. Strong enough to bully him and won’t mind bending rules to get the shot off. Wallin gave him a nightmare ffs what would Lewis do to him? Tyson I say ko to Mike by round 4 and Fury wouldn’t have a rib kind left. Nightmare for him, no matter about all time I think a prime Povetkin could well do the same. Liston’s jab would cause problems but I think he’s too hittable. I think Bowe would beat him and Holyfield is 50-50 for me.

I’m not going up the list any more because I’ll put myself in bad form. Wait. I think both Wlad and Vitali in their prime beat him. Hard, hard men.

Fury is my favourite at the moment. He’s looked the real deal once against a very questionably able Wilder - that’s not the benchmark, guys. In the other Wilder fight he should have been counted out. Other than that there’s a finished champion and then the opponents are poor. He still has time to cement his legacy and good luck to him doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I hope Dubois can come again, but i don't see him ever being at the top table. The fight at the weekend confirmed what I had long suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I hope Dubois can come again, but i don't see him ever being at the top table. The fight at the weekend confirmed what I had long suspected.

Yes..

Funny, I think a fight like the other night might even make him less a fighter in the future...

Even forgetting the other night. He is slow, and has a very poor defense...nowhere near the top!

walshb wrote: »
    Yes..

Funny, I think a fight like the other night might even make him less a fighter in the future...

Even forgetting the other night. He is slow, and has a very poor defense...nowhere near the top!

Not sure lads I’m a bit torn on him. This could make or break him. If he learns from it then he’s so young he can surely come back. He knows now that attributes alone count for little without strategy. If he goes back to the drawing board and works on the frailties exposed by that fight then his attributes will always count for something when all things are even.

But on the other hand when the bubble bursts it can be very hard to turn that tide. He could go like Price and just fight in a shell forever more. Anyone with ambition now is a good time to fight him when there’s doubt in his mind. I think he will be very brittle mentally both in the build up and in future fights so his next 3/4 days out need to be well picked and show some gradual improvement.

Hard to know how he’ll go but into the background for a while anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He needs to go to somebody like Freddy Roach.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not sure lads I’m a bit torn on him. This could make or break him. If he learns from it then he’s so young he can surely come back. He knows now that attributes alone count for little without strategy. If he goes back to the drawing board and works on the frailties exposed by that fight then his attributes will always count for something when all things are even.

But on the other hand when the bubble bursts it can be very hard to turn that tide. He could go like Price and just fight in a shell forever more. Anyone with ambition now is a good time to fight him when there’s doubt in his mind. I think he will be very brittle mentally both in the build up and in future fights so his next 3/4 days out need to be well picked and show some gradual improvement.

Hard to know how he’ll go but into the background for a while anyhow.

Aside from the odd flurry the other night, he was beaten up badly with the same jab that never had to even go past Joyces standing foot to land. Easy long range stuff. His defence was terrible and the less said about his head movement and footwork the better.

Didn't really offer anything. Long road back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eagle eye wrote: »
    He needs to go to somebody like Freddy Roach.

He might improve him a bit, but Dubois simply does not possess the skills to be an elite fighter in my view.

This was the first active opponent and real fight that he’s had. He failed the test badly. It wasn’t just the eye that beat him. He hated the taste of a jab, he was exhausted looking as well. Fair few people seemed to have him up on the cards and I don’t really go with that. I had Joyce up by 2 before the stoppage/quit but Dubois’ ‘quality’ was having little to no effect on Joyce. Joyce’s work was having much more of an impact throughout and it was very obvious who was dictating the terms of the fight.

At 23 I think it’s far too early to write him off so much. He’s still a capable operator and brings quite a bit of excitement. A knock over, English or regional title and then work up to European level, fighting one or two gatekeepers along the way. That takes him 3 years and so at 27/28 he’s at an age where he will have matured much more. The more you look at it the more foolish it was to put him in with Joyce at this stage. It was even more foolish not to pull him out. I don’t think his story is finished just yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Miller banned for 2 years, he hardly failed another test ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

US2 wrote: »
    Miller banned for 2 years, he hardly failed another test ?

His fourth positive in a year and he’s blaming impotence drugs now

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement