Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

thanks, I went in and asked the girl and she said as you do, 45 days to buy the extra warranty.. It is about 36-39 euro and seemed to offer 3 year cover (she couldn't be sure cause I didn't bring in the receipt).
    The manufacture warranty is 2 years. Just seems that a few people may have mentioned issues with grinding coffee machines on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I would say it is worth paying €40 for the machine that is worth >€200(now, not before;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I paid €113 so I think the 2 year manufacturers warranty will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A warranty is not good value. Especially when you have a 2 year warranty to start with. Bear in mind that just because something is out of warranty does not mean that it cannot be returned. All goods must be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. 2 years isnt reasonable, it would be reasonable to expect it to last more, say 4 or 5 years possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

A warranty is not good value. Especially when you have a 2 year warranty to start with. Bear in mind that just because something is out of warranty does not mean that it cannot be returned. All goods must be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. 2 years isnt reasonable, it would be reasonable to expect it to last more, say 4 or 5 years possibly.

Probably worth looking at what the warranties cover. Argos is likely to be no questions asked replacement if it's not working, but most manufacturers apply a parts only or fair use policy which they determine once they have it returned. Plus, who pays for carriage to get it back to DeLonghi's factory, themselves or Argos certainly won't and it's a big unit! At least you only have to turn up at Argos's door to give it to them.

Some warranties are also voided if you don't return the goods in the original packaging too! That's a big box to be holding onto. I know I don't have the space in my apartment for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

Alan McG wrote: »
    Probably worth looking at what the warranties cover. Argos is likely to be no questions asked replacement if it's not working, but most manufacturers apply a parts only or fair use policy which they determine once they have it returned. Plus, who pays for carriage to get it back to DeLonghi's factory, themselves or Argos certainly won't and it's a big unit! At least you only have to turn up at Argos's door to give it to them.

Some warranties are also voided if you don't return the goods in the original packaging too! That's a big box to be holding onto. I know I don't have the space in my apartment for that.

I also think if you return the product to argos within manufacturers warranty period due to fault, Argos will refund the extended warranty amount along with purchase price. I returned a kettle after 6 months. Had extended warranty and they refunded everything.

But you wouldn't like to get what you paid for it as now it's €220 not 113 - you would like to replace it with new one:)

Why would you be sending anything to Delonghi? You bought it from Argos, not Delonghi. You have no contract with Delonghi whatsoever. Your contract is with the retailer, which is Argos in this case. You take the product back to them with or without a box and THEY decide if they are going to offer you a refund, a replacement or a repair. If they want to send it back to a company thats up them and they do it at their own expense. You will find that the vast majority of items will simply be replaced because the costs involved are too high.

I have no idea what you are referring to as "fair use policy" or "parts only". Without sounding harsh, there is no such policy, it does not exist and never has done. As for needing to keep the original box...come on are you just making this stuff up? You sound like you work/ed for a retailer because this is exactly the kind of waffle they would try to come at me with until I publicly humiliate them on the shop floor.

All products sold within the EU have a minimum 2 year warranty. Additional to that they must all be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. The time can vary depending on the product and the answers to what is reasonable for any particular type of product can be found by googling. For example it would not be reasonable to expect a car tyre to be perfect for years and years if you used them and wore them down, thats normal wear and tear is its unreasonable to expect them to last beyond what is reasonably expected of them. On the same note is it reasonable to expect that a coffee machine would work considerably beyond the 2 year warranty period.

This is not my opinion, but consumer law which we should all be aware of, it will save us being robbed by these very poor value extended warranties being peddled by retailers.

Sure you will get less hassle with a warranty, but I'm strong and I quite enjoy the debate with retailers, especially when I have been 100% successful with every single incident I've been involved in. So much so that my friends always ring me to help them.

https://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/extended-warranties-are-they-worth-it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

Why would you be sending anything to Delonghi? You bought it from Argos, not Delonghi. You have no contract with Delonghi whatsoever. Your contract is with the retailer, which is Argos in this case. You take the product back to them with or without a box and THEY decide if they are going to offer you a refund, a replacement or a repair. If they want to send it back to a company thats up them and they do it at their own expense. You will find that the vast majority of items will simply be replaced because the costs involved are too high.

I have no idea what you are referring to as "fair use policy" or "parts only". Without sounding harsh, there is no such policy, it does not exist and never has done. As for needing to keep the original box...come on are you just making this stuff up? You sound like you work/ed for a retailer because this is exactly the kind of waffle they would try to come at me with until I publicly humiliate them on the shop floor.

All products sold within the EU have a minimum 2 year warranty. Additional to that they must all be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. The time can vary depending on the product and the answers to what is reasonable for any particular type of product can be found by googling. For example it would not be reasonable to expect a car tyre to be perfect for years and years if you used them and wore them down, thats normal wear and tear is its unreasonable to expect them to last beyond what is reasonably expected of them. On the same note is it reasonable to expect that a coffee machine would work considerably beyond the 2 year warranty period.

This is not my opinion, but consumer law which we should all be aware of, it will save us being robbed by these very poor value extended warranties being peddled by retailers.

Sure you will get less hassle with a warranty, but I'm strong and I quite enjoy the debate with retailers, especially when I have been 100% successful with every single incident I've been involved in. So much so that my friends always ring me to help them.

https://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/extended-warranties-are-they-worth-it

Relax the cacks there TireeTerror. Don't get yourself so worked up!

Here is some additional info on what a manufacturer's warranty may cover:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html

You will see the section as follows:
    What action the guarantor undertakes to do and
    Whether the purchaser must pay any charges for getting the product repaired (such as postage and packaging).

Relax the cacks there TireeTerror. Don't get yourself so worked up!

Here is some additional info on what a manufacturer's warranty may cover:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html

You will see the section as follows:
    What action the guarantor undertakes to do and
    Whether the purchaser must pay any charges for getting the product repaired (such as postage and packaging).

Nothing to relax about, you just posted up totally wrong information and it should be made clear to everyone what is correct.

There is no issue with postage. Just to repeat what I already said, you did not buy it from Delonghi, you bought it from Argos. So unless you have to post it to your local Argos store instead of driving there and returning it, there will be no postage costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Can these conversations on warranty be moved somewhere else please?

mad m wrote: »
    Oh you little dancer. Got it in post today !! Free when you registered machine. Mine is the 4200s

2a5m23t.jpg

what is this coffee like - any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

The bright note which says strength 3 is very nice. Haven’t tried the others yet. Strength 5 & 6 on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Got mine today. Must wait to use up the opened beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Got mine today. Must wait to use up the opened beans.

I've registered for the De'Longhi coffee club (http://seriousaboutcoffee.com/thecoffeeclub/service_home). Did you have to send a copy of your receipt? I just entered model & serial number on my registration. How long did it take to receive the package?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

I've registered for the De'Longhi coffee club (http://seriousaboutcoffee.com/thecoffeeclub/service_home). Did you have to send a copy of your receipt? I just entered model & serial number on my registration. How long did it take to receive the package?

I registered mine on Dec 26th still haven't received anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

I just registered with the serial number. Got no email. Had given up hope. Was around Christmas when I registered

I just registered with the serial number. Got no email. Had given up hope. Was around Christmas when I registered

yeah. didn't get any confirmation email.
    no requirement of receipt.
    I did contact some support email tho and they did confirm that I was registered.
    the poster who received stuff here registered end nov tho and he only got the stuff the other day. don't give up hope yet if you've only registered around christmas time.

the process is not very good if it does eventually work - was no option to specify ireland on the page that I was on - i put it after postcode or county or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

I cant find the model i bought on the drop down list.
    Can i put in a different model ?

Can you still register it for free gifts anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

loki7777 wrote: »
    Can you still register it for free gifts anyway?

Yeah. Provided you confirm that you bought in 2017, and within 30 days of now. Not that I think they’ll check.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

travist wrote: »
    I have not taken it out of box yet, so was wondering should I still try get the extended warranty?

Don't waste your money. I've had the Magnifica 4200S for nearly six years now, 10-12 cups a day with no trouble at all.

Clean it thoroughly every once in a while and use descaler when it tells you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    10-12 cups a day with no trouble at all.

Do you sleep?!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

Do you sleep?!?!? :eek:

Rarely :D

To be fair the wife is a bigger coffee addict than me...

They're a great novelty at the beginning, you'll be making cappuccinos and all kinds of fancy stuff. Now though I stick to espressos :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I got my 4200 version in December and only opened it today.

The warning light for no water keeps flashing despite having a full tank therefore I can't make anything.

I looked on YouTube and saw a video and they said the wires are not sending a signal to the powerboard to say there's water in the tank.
    https://youtu.be/P-rXS83o-Yc

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Esse85 wrote: »

The warning light for no water keeps flashing despite having a full tank therefore I can't make anything.

I looked on YouTube and saw a video and they said the wires are not sending a signal to the powerboard to say there's water in the tank.

Go back to agros and get them to swap it out. They have a great returns policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

stimpson wrote: »
    Go back to agros and get them to swap it out. They have a great returns policy.

It was Amazon I bought from.

I'm hoping someone else on here had a similar experience was able to resolve the issue easily without having to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm hoping someone else on here had a similar experience was able to resolve the issue easily without having to return it.

Amazon are better if anything. I’d be reluctant to open it as it will void your warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

If it were me I’d be having a go as per YouTube link. If it still hasn’t sorted it then I’d return it , but that’s just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

There is a small square shaped clear plastic that slides into section of water container. Make sure this has not come loose. Check your packaging for piece size of small dice.

Advertisement