Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Guys, thanks for all the explanations on the speed of sound etc. I loved the travelator analogy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

NOAA42(Hurricane Hunters) are regular visitors to Shannon.The aircraft is N42RF which was built in 1975 .This year is the 4th in a row they are based at Shannon from the end of January for 3 or 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Harmonie has Dennis getting down to "only" 920 hPa and stays at that for 3 hours (18Z-21Z) tomorrow evening. I think this talk of 915 or lower is a little sensationalist, but it remains to be seen how low it gets. Closer to home it will be another windy weekend but nothing more than we've had so far (except possibly for the far north Sunday night, when we may see Malin Head steal the show).

harmonie_djup_t850_10uv_1urk_2020021418_024.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 18Z showing stronger winds for Sunday on this run ( a lot stronger in fact ). Looks like going to Orange warning territory for counties from Kerry to around Mayo or Sligo perhaps , for a few hours anyway and then returning to yellow . Looks increasingly windy across the country also, high end yellow , wouldn't take too much more to make it Orange for a few counties across the center of the country.

anim_uru4.gif

arpegeuk-52-50-0_wml6.png

ICON up on the latest run also

anim_vhz1.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-51-0_stx1.png

WRF stronger looking along Western counties for a time tomorrow but a way lower for Sunday, think this is an outlier for Sunday.

nmmuk-11-15-0_tjd0.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The long trailing cold front for Saturday and second chart showing how far away the Storm center is but such a large wind field, the 50/55 kts barbs aimed at the west coasts would correspond with the maps above.

rDONSzB.png

kAPFjAF.png

The iceberg extent (red patterned boundary) is down as far south as 45N in those NWS charts above. Almost as far south as Northern Spain.

The UKMO are going with Dennis at 920 hPa at 18Z tomorrow. At that point things should be relatively improved here, with that front clearing the southeast and a slacker gradient behind it.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020021418_024.png

Some rainfall totals. Could be very heavy along Southern counties.

Just a rough guide.

anim_jhn3.gif

jZTf7ph.png

9BbNVWD.png

aromehd-25-30-0_rgi1.png

5686_obg9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The long trailing cold front for Saturday and second chart showing how far away the Storm center is but such a large wind field, the 50/55 kts barbs aimed at the west coasts would correspond with the maps above.

rDONSzB.png

Ah here - that cold front is just ridiculous!
    Stretching all the way from Cancun to the Outer Hebridies uninterupted...anyone see a front like that on a map before?!

Surface winds around today's Iceland low (not Dennis) were up around 70 knots at 4 am Friday, maybe higher as these winds can be understated at high speeds.

502937.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How is Sunday looking on the east coast? Is the storm still around? Apologies if general questions aren't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Woken by loud wind around 1 am out here. Raging.

West Mayo; coastal waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Very windy and wet here now, id guess at over 60mph, Atlantic coast Mayo. Road into town is closed in the morning in case another bit falls into the sea.

Very windy and wet here now, id guess at over 60mph, Atlantic coast Mayo. Road into town is closed in the morning in case another bit falls into the sea.

Thanks. Wilder and louder out here.

West Mayo ; coastal waters offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

One very wet morning in Mayo. Have been on the roads already and lots of surface water about. Shaping up to be two washout Saturdays in a row.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Belmullet gusting 117 km/h in 0700 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Woken around 5am by the wind sounding like a freight train battering the house
    East Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Starting to be windy here in blessington
    Looks like from 4 to 5 pm a heavy rain band crossing us here
    Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

So calm in Dublin 4. When will the first winds hit here please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

torres9kop wrote: »

I'm 30 miles south of you and winds are very strong. Gusting to 42mph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Windy/gusty in Dublin 16, and rain has just arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Windy/gusty in Dublin 16, and rain has just arrived.

Like a switch was just turned on, was calm 10 mins ago, then suddenly wet and windy.

Belmullet gusting 115 km/h in 0800 reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

Belmullet gusting 114 km/h in 0800 reports.

Yet no Orange warning

Are Met Eireann in bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stormy on the NW coast
    8am
    Belmullet gusting 62 knots (116km/h)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

The birds are acting really strange in the lawn. Must sense somethings on the way

What are they doing? Sun-bathing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

finlma wrote: »
    What are they doing? Sun-bathing?

They keep bouncing off the conservatory. Must want inside out of the storm

Mod Note: As per the OP, we will only have one thread for Storm Dennis (this one), so please keep on topic. Silly and off topic posts will be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely pouring in Cork City - wind and rain belting off the window and I’m in bed nice and cosy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m in Cork city and can’t believe this hasn’t bee upgraded to orange. It’s totally wild here.

Fastnet Lighthouse gusting 126 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m kildare. Husband turned around and asked me if there was a warning he missed. Indeed there is. Fine blowy day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just back from walking the dog D14. Gusty but that's about it.

At the windows, only wind-driven water. The dark sky is sodden, spilling heavily onto saturated, pooling land.

Horizontal ceaseless deluges, gale-borne, and the constant drumming tattoo.

All is trickling down to the welcoming. open-armed ocean. Then becoming a small river, finding cracks to make creeks in,

And the booming. screaming winds.

West Mayo offshore; coastal waters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Some strong gusts hitting me on the third floor in Lucan the last half hour. Definitely seems to be getting stronger and more sustained winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Belmullet gusting 115 km/h in 0800 reports.
    Isn't that orange warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very mucky already, driving rain against the south facing windows.

Met.ie says "light rain" in Waterford. Update chaps, update.

Oh and the rainfall radar is blank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Heavy rain and some wind on Mayo coast, nothing too bad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

pauldry wrote: »
    Yet no Orange warning

Are Met Eireann in bed?

You want ME to issue an Orange warning for a wind gust 5km/h above the guidelines which has been reported in a coastal station ?

Orange wind levels need to be recorded widespread in the county for the warnings to be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

It's meh in Drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Very strong winds here on the side of Mt Leinster in Co. Carlow. (There appears to be more higher sustained winds vs the last storm.) Trees, fencing etc all flexing more so. Expecting some damage if it keeps up. It was a very rough night here also. The wind was howling mid night through this am and the walls creaking. Surprised this is only a yellow warning as it appears to be stronger than anything we've had in a while meeting yellow criteria. Possible upgrade happening?

Take care if out and about today. Wild out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ARated

Out in the Maharees, near Castlegregory. Very strong consistent wind howling. Horizontal rain. Very gusty and a sodden landscape.

Heavy rain and getting blustery here, my 5 year old has his face pressed to the window. If it gets any worse I'll have to let him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

91kph in Ashford Co. Wicklow. Pretty severe I think it might be higher than Ciara. Will check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dublin 2, Grand Canal Dock. Not bad here yet, some light rain and a bit of wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

98kph current max gust at Waterford airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Fairly wet in cork city with constant wind speeds of 55km/h and gusts of 87km/h (which is about 150m up) so outside the orange level warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

I've trees swaying like never before here in Firhouse, 1 is actually lifting the sheds and ground about it. If doesn't go over this weekend it will have ro be taken down.
    Very strong sustained wind with big gusts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wind and rain here in North Kerry.
    My weather station is showing 0.00 kmh though.

Am I doing something wrong?

It's in the cupboard :D *

*I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :) Planning on putting it on my new chicken run when built .

Advertisement