Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Incredibly lucky, that could have been catastrophic. Wonder how that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thankfully everyone was rescued...

_109340171_ardglass1.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50154273

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Port of Waterford has started the process to upgrade to new pilot boats.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/155925/0/0?returnUrl=&b=

This is the current model.

showphoto.aspx?photoid=400839

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are they Aquastar boats? from Carrigaline?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hull looks like the Aquastar Nelson 42' hull with the pilothouse finished by someone else.

Another Aquastar hull for caparison.

workboats.jpg

• Advertisement

I remember seeing one of the Dublin Port Pilot boat being built there in the 90's. I had my boat there for a few months when she was being done up (my dad was friendly with the yard owner).

Also remember when they were building a patrol boat (for the Customs I believe), and they didn't have a large enough mould, so when they fibreglassed out the transom in the 50ft mould, they just applied 1 flimsy layer of glass, and then removed the mould and moved it back about 5 feet or so, and then cut out the dummy transom and glassed in the extension with the proper transom. It was pretty cool to see a 55ft boat coming out of a 50ft mould.

M

Dillon Owen leaving Ardglass earlier this year, lovely shapped boat...

Stena's new Dub-HH ferry has successfully completed her sea trials in China. Due to enter operation in early 2020.

AAJyG2l.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

AAJyG2i.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

AAJyRMh.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Good to see that the Appledore shipyard looks to be reopening soon. Where else are we going to get our naval ships from?! Could do with a bit of dredging though.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/06/devons-appledore-shipyard-close-to-reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Under EU rules it had to be an open tender, but that will change once they are out of the EU. However it will probably mean that we won't be able to get anything built there if the EU is funding it.

• Advertisement
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

This looks baaaaaaaaad. Ship carrying 14000 sheep capsized off Romania

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50538592

The poor sheep.

The first time a narco-sub has been captured in Europe (AFAIK). Imagine crossing the Atlantic in that?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Liparus....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The first time a narco-sub has been captured in Europe (AFAIK). Imagine crossing the Atlantic in that?! :eek:

Looks like something out of Das Boot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any pics of the inside? great creativity and improvisation goes into building those yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would that have just gone offshore to pick up cargo dropped off by a freighter or something.?
    Seems kind of risky to cross the Atlantic in that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would that have just gone offshore to pick up cargo dropped off by a freighter or something.?
    Seems kind of risky to cross the Atlantic in that...

These drug companies always seem to be able to find a willing fool

My guess would be she was towed about 80-90% of the way over, then cut loose to complete the voyage hopefully undetected, with a willing crew and an iPad with Navionics on board.

• Advertisement

When you have invested so much on your product and can persuade some local fishermen to transport it for you, you don't need to risk engaging a ship or fancy electronics. You stick some men in the sub and send it on its way.

Of course, it doesn't always go according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

When you have invested so much on your product and can persuade some local fishermen to transport it for you, you don't need to risk engaging a ship or fancy electronics. You stick some men in the sub and send it on its way.

Of course, it doesn't always go according to plan.

But when it does we won't know anything about it I'm afraid.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Listening to Newstalk earlier and they said there are estimated to be around 900 of these kinds of things built, mainly semi-submersible with some ocean-going capability and some can go for a month without resupply. 150 have been caught.

Big brother is always watching you.
    From Saturday the 21st of December, all passengers (including freight drivers) on non-domestic ferry routes must now provide their date of birth. This is a new EU legal requirement.

The new EU Directive states

1. Where a passenger ship departs from a port located in a Member State in order to undertake a voyage of which the distance sailed from the point of departure to the next port of call exceeds 20 miles, the following information shall be recorded:

the family names of the persons on board, their forenames, their gender, their nationality, their dates of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Big brother is always watching you.
    well, we know that !

but yea, I checked the info and it is indeed a new directive
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32017L2109&from=EN

For passengers travelling from Ireland does it actually make any difference anyhow ?
    From my first ferry booking over 10 years ago I always remember needing to list every passengers name and date of birth (a pain when doing a landbridge booking over the phone with a call centre in Sweden or Finland, for 4 people with irish names packed with vowels) , so for Irish ferry users this will make no difference.

Another day, another accident involving a containership and a shore crane. This happened in Antwerp yesterday. (warning, swearing in sound clip)

https://twitter.com/JSteegmans/status/1204068782118973441

Remember boys and girls, keep a proper lookout at all times!

157094-2dbd3a4b069d819e16632866f95504d0.jpeg
    While the yacht was adrift off Wave Break Island, Handley and the skipper Jeremy "JJ" Piggott, had sex on the bow of the vessel.

During this time, the court heard, she was not providing a proper look-out for the vessel.

Handley's barrister David Funch told the court it was a ten-minute lapse in judgement.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/boat-crash-deck-hand-admits-negligence-sex-on-bow-gold-coast-news/7f32e98b-f86c-4ec6-a8e2-8ee87b41e57a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Bad one from this morning on the Arklow day. Hit by a large wave which smashed through a bulkhead injuring 5 crew, Jesus, must have been a bad one.

https://maritimebulletin.net/2019/12/10/five-crew-of-irish-freighter-injured-by-wave-hit-evacuated-bay-of-biscay/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://maritimebulletin.net/2019/12/09/container-ship-caught-in-storm-at-least-12-containers-lost-celtic-sea/?fbclid=IwAR2UG5XEltmFzajct1JIiRTPXEGi4HDjIT6kT_BUiLzTZWF5MeMDxCdnpjA
    Container ship caught in storm, at least 12 containers lost, Celtic sea

I wonder whose Christmas toys won't be arriving this year.....

Busy part of the world for containers to be floating around :eek:

• Advertisement
    M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I wonder whose Christmas toys won't be arriving this year.....

Busy part of the world for containers to be floating around :eek:

Will be interesting if they come ashore and anything decent is in them, could be a repeat of the scavenging that went on when the BMW motorbikes came ashore in 2007 from MSC Napoli...

_93636443_napoliscavenge1getty.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-38657674

Advertisement