Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online passport renewal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 kickfacer

murpho999 wrote: »
    What rubbish. Every country in the world charges for passports.

It's not a representation of your citizenship it's a document giving you the right to travel to other countries and only required if you choose to travel so it's only right that you have to pay for it as you actually don't need one to live in the state or interact with the government.

However you do need a PPS number to live in the state and there's no charge for that as it's a state imposed requirement.
    You're comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kickfacer wrote: »
    You're comparing apples and oranges.

No I'm comparing what was quoted above.

Also never got that phrase. Why can’t apples and oranges be compared.

Both are fruits, both have outer skin, both have seeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Applied last Sunday week, new passport arrived 3 days later. Cracking service. Well done to all involved. Gotta say this and the revenue :cool: web service are very good. On the other hand, buying a dog license on line .....:eek: from the post office. Still have no idea whether I actually purchased anything or not.

Took me two goes to get them to accept a selfie from phone (it was an expensive iphone so maybe that helped :cool:). For the passport, that is, not the dog license.

Yeah and that's where the similarities end. Despite everything they have in common, one is still and apple and one is still an orange. They are not the same.

That's what comparison is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Do you really need a detailed comparison of apples and oranges though? Sometimes it so obvious that two things are going to result in completely different outcomes.

What the **** are you even arguing about?!

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    What the **** are you even arguing about?!
    The price of oranges compared to passports and how apples don't have PPS numbers even though PPS is in the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭happyplants

Just an FYI this service is incredible - I applied online Monday and I received by new passport in the post today.

Agreed. I think my application was done online last Friday and its Tuesday and I have it.

Its so great when we can get things right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I renewed my passport last year. I remember thinking it was one of the slickest, most customer friendly, and technically advanced online services I’ve used. Like noteworthy in how good it was.
    It was terrible. I took my photo with the magic code. But then I had to wait for it to be accepted and then they wanted my birth cert because of a typo. :rolleyes:

It took from Sunday night until Thursday morning. Even had to wait until Friday , Friday! to get the card thing. Middle of summer is no excuse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone know when I can renew my passport - can’t at the moment because of Level 5 restrictions - any chance the easing of level 5 on 12th April will allow the processing of renewing passports - need it for my Revolut card - they won’t accept any other form of ID. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Danick wrote: »
    Anyone know when I can renew my passport - can’t at the moment because of Level 5 restrictions - any chance the easing of level 5 on 12th April will allow the processing of renewing passports - need it for my Revolut card - they won’t accept any other form of ID. Thanks.

You’ll be lucky to get it this side of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I sent my passport for online renewal in the first week of January. I received it in the post in March. Absolute agony. Not going anywhere. Just needed it for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

ulster wrote: »
    I sent my passport for online renewal in the first week of January. I received it in the post in March. Absolute agony. Not going anywhere. Just needed it for ID.

Sent mine last week of Jan. No sign. Passport Office is closed from what i hear and will be a massive backlog when they do get back in. I need photo ID to be Garda Vetted in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Fandymo wrote: »
    Sent mine last week of Jan. No sign. Passport Office is closed from what i hear and will be a massive backlog when they do get back in. I need photo ID to be Garda Vetted in work.

I think some of them must be there when I got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mine expires in June next year and I want to get back to Southeast Asia in August and worrying in case get stuck there and it runs out.

Might just have to apply for a British one instead. Fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I applied online in Feb and received a message saying they are not processing applications until we get down to level 4 unless it's for essential travel. There is a web chat thing that you can use to contact them if there is an emergency. I need to travel a lot with my job so will be contacting them with a letter from my employer before the level 4 chaos kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Tazio wrote: »
    agreed... it's a great service... although I did struggle to get a good enough photo using the old phone.... the website didn't think I was bright enough... :(
    I was using a new enough phone and had issues with the photo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Danick wrote: »

Not sure if you have this sorted yet but I applied online on Friday last 16th late afternoon and Passport arrived yesterday, Wed 21st.

Not an emergency application or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Applied online last Tuesday, arrived Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Applied online last Tuesday, arrived Monday.

Fantastic to hear, thank you!

I ordered book and card renewal on Sunday, and it's in the post on the way to europe this afternoon. Should probably have it by friday or monday. Great service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Link for this service please , need a new PP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

anyone used the online renewal lately?

meant to be flying the 19th but kinda getting nervous now, me and the wife both applied on the same day, she got hers within 3 days but mine is still processing. struggling to get through to anyone to find out

Yup, I ordered on sunday, it's already in the post from yesterday. I'm on the continent so it'll take a couple days more for the local post to get it and deliver it.

Maybe there's a problem with the photo you submitted, and it's gone for some kind of manual review. The DFA website has a chat option and phone numbers. I guess keep hammering them until you get an answer.

yeah thats what im worried that theres an issue with it as the missus was similar to yours arrived within 3 days. just struggling to get a hold of anyone to check. ill keep trying, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scamh

Any update on your's? In a similar boat myself. Ordered on the 29th, no sign yet. Got onto the chat and they said it was being checked on friday.

Flying on the 20th, I'm like a dog about this. Especially hearing that others are being turned around in 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I submit the wifes for renewal on Friday. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes. The online app is a breeze, it must be said.

Trying to get a new pp for the baby is proving quite the opposite experience. 2.5 months before they started looking at the application and now they're saying our witness can't be contacted (she's not had any missed calls from anyone this week - I'm assuming they know how to ring a UK number??) and now we have to submit that form again, by post ffs. That online tracker is absolutely pointless, why have a progress bar if its just an estimate and nowhere near accurate?

Slightly concerning - the next passport to apply for will be an irish one for my daughter. She'll first get a local passport of the country we are in, but we also are "entitled" to get her an irish one. We were thinking of waiting until we were back in Ireland to apply as it'll be easier to get it signed/witnessed at a gardai station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm actually back in Ireland tomorrow and have already arranged for a garda friend to sign as witness

• Advertisement

yea got same reply as u on friday thats its at checking stage, trying to get through to them again today, due to fly thursday gonna be very tight. dont understand how my wifes was processed and delivered within 3days, and im nearly two weeks now. we both applied the same day

Advertisement