Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting youtube channels

• 05-04-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Youtube doesn't seem to be offering up anything of interest of late for me, so anybody got any recommendations?

I'd recommend project blinky if you haven't watched it.

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Youtube doesn't seem to be offering up anything of interest of late for me, so anybody got any recommendations?

I'd recommend project blinky if you haven't watched it.

Tom Scott does interesting bite size videos usually between three and eight minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sideprojects, business blaze, top tenz....all by the same guy. Can be very interesting.

I've largely stopped watching videos from guys like the one above, who are purely making videos based on trends, and really they're just presenters with no expertise.

Some people like Tom Scott and Smarter Every Day do have the credibility to make videos on a wide range of subjects because they actually go out and meet the people involved and see the things they talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I find Mr Ballens channel very interesting despite the cheesy pictures that show up like below. Some fascinating events told in story format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

“Pakistani Truck” they rebuild and update standard trucks using basic tools, manual processes and no health and safety. (Similar page, Pakistani trucks, not to be confused)

“The Skills”, basic small scale production using old and basic tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Rob Gavagan" - true crime based about serial killers/dissapearances etc.

"Dead Meat" - If you like horror films he does kill counts that count each kill from movies. Hes pretty funny and it could kill like 20 minutes, he throws in behind the scenes details aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Veritasium
    Vsauce
    3Blue1Brown
    MinutePhysics
    Sixty Symbols
    Numberphile

I like science and maths...but they have a lot of interesting popular science videos and things that relate to everyday life.

Also, Ozzy Man Reviews is always worth a a watch.

If you have a proper interest in something, I'd recommend the Great Courses Plus. Try the trial. If it's good enough for Bill Gates, it's good enough for me.

I watched a 12-hour series on the Rise of the Roman Republic by a professor in the US and it was excellent. You wouldn't get anything close to it on YT.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Veritasium
    Vsauce
    3Blue1Brown
    MinutePhysics
    Sixty Symbols
    Numberphile

I like science and maths...but they have a lot of interesting popular science videos and things that relate to everyday life.

Also, Ozzy Man Reviews is always worth a a watch.

Yeah +1 on Ozzy Man just stumbled across his channel a week ago hes funny and video's are short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I religiously watch 'that chapter', it's an Irish guy who tells largely american murder stories.

I presume you have heard of bald and bankrupt? He seems to have a lot of interest garnered on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Curious Droid is quite good for short 10 minute long videos on space and aerospace related things.he explains concepts quiet well.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC726J5A0LLFRxQ0SZqr2mYQ

Deadliest Roads on the "Free Documentary" channel are also worth a watch.
    https://youtube.com/c/FreeDocumentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭thomil

For me, it's mostly science or history-based channels:

PBS Spacetime (Astrophysics)

PBS Terra (current geoscience),

PBS Eons (Paleontology)

Dr. Sabine Hossenfelder (Astrophysics)

Dr. Becky (Astrophysics)

Drachinifel (Naval History)

Joe Scott

Wendover Productions (Transport & Logistics Docs)

Half as Interesting (Wendover on Drugs...)

Mustard (Extremely high quality vehicle documentaries)

Storied (Literature, another PBS Channel)

Mr Mobile (Gadgets, mobile tech)

Most of my other channel subscriptions are German language, but the above should keep you busy for a while.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I've largely stopped watching videos from guys like the one above, who are purely making videos based on trends, and really they're just presenters with no expertise.

Some people like Tom Scott and Smarter Every Day do have the credibility to make videos on a wide range of subjects because they actually go out and meet the people involved and see the things they talk about.

I see where you are coming from, for me, it matters not a fcuk when I am just wasting a bit of time before bed. Credibility isn't necessary for light entertainment purposes.

I have also been watching Tom Scott for years, a magnificent man! I also watch Pawn Stars on Youtube....forgive my lowbrow-ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mark Rober if you like science/electronic for pranks home-made gadgets and other creative uses.

Glitter and stink bombing thieves who steal packages

Squirrel obstacle course in the back garden

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OP, check out Colin Furze also. Fantastically experienced in his field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Wendover Productions
    Alternative History Hub
    Tom Nicholas
    Jack Tran
    School of Life
    Shred Bundy

I need to work on my subs so I remember more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

SuperEyepatchWolf is the only Irish Youtuber I think I watch. He usually covers videogames and movies, but he did this video on fake Martial Arts I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

An Irish Youtuber that I like is DatingGuy. A very insightful person with a great way of discussing breakups and personal growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Voices of the past. Link.

They read out people's diaries, diplomatic reports, and essays, about visits to foreign countries, major global events, and whatnot, from back in the day. It's fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Stuff made here is very good. A young engineer making robots to do odd stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

History Oversimplified can be very informative while sometines hilarious.

History in bite-sezed chunks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Steve Wallis is great. He's Canadian and does stealth camping vids. But his idea of bush craft is buying a bale of logs and lighting them with a blow torch. He usually does a video a week and is well worth watching for some good, clean wholesome fun.

Regular Car Reviews, 2 Pennsylvanian chaps reviewing regular cars.

Bald and Bankrupt is repetitive but still can be interesting. He wanders around old Soviet countries and towns filming his interactions. He's fluent enough in Russian too which gives a good insight into the everyday people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'd recommend Dark Simpsons and Darker Simpsons.

It's Simpsons clips mostly from classic episodes but edited together to create new storylines with some very dark and very funny humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My fiancée watches Good Mythical Morning. Their channel mostly comprises of taste tests, food comparisons, "will it" videos and other food-based content but they do other little experiments as well. They sometimes do competitive challenges too. Their setup is very well done and I think the two lads on it have been doing videos most of their adult life, being in their mid 40s as well.

I find their content pretty enjoyable. They can be quite addictive to watch and can be really funny at times. One of the lads on it has a weak tolerance for certain foods and will often retch and gag at the taste or smell of it, it's rather hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

humberklog wrote: »
    Steve Wallis is great. He's Canadian and does stealth camping vids. But his idea of bush craft is buying a bale of logs and lighting them with a blow torch. He usually does a video a week and is well worth watching for some good, clean wholesome fun.

Bald and Bankrupt is repetitive but still can be interesting. He wanders around old Soviet countries and towns filming his interactions. He's fluent enough in Russian too which gives a good insight into the everyday people.

Have been binge watching Bald and Bankrupt this weekend. I had seen a few of his videos in past but
    As you said a lot of the videos are very similar, but definitely shocks how people Live in poorer countries and the level of poverty . You can easily see why they drink so much .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

WW2 History Hunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 thlint

Fall of civilizations is a high production values well presented history from the point of view of the people living through the collapse of their civilization. Might look slightly long but easily as good as any programs that the BBC produce.
    Also on podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Judge Jeffrey Middleton, live streams minor misdeameanors and crime, the guy is a character tho, very funny.
    Unicorn riot,...live streams riots in usa, live streaming the Chauvin trial at the moment
    Salvatore Sammy The Bull Gravano ,mafia guy tells great stories
    TinyKittens HQ ,live streams kittens lol
    live on patrol , 2 cops live stream their patrol, can be interesting at times, they are two old dudes tho and they just drive around mostly
    ScammerRevolts ,scamming scammers...its ok
    Kings and Generals ,docs on history
    Jim Browning ,the best scammer of scammers , brilliant content
    LockPickingLawyer ,picks padlocks and stuff
    Free Documentary ,docs on stuff
    Study Vibes ,live streams for studying, sometimes motivational, most times not
    Air Safety Institute ,air accident reports, very interesting and informative
    Documentary Base ,more docs
    Ross Slots ,live streams of a dude playin slots
    GavsWeatherVids ,good weather updates
    GilstrapTV ,fart pranks , funny
    Mentour Pilot ,airplanes and how to fly ....
    Free High-Quality Documentaries
    EXPLORE WITH US ,crime docs and other stuff

that should keep u going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just from my own subscriptions.

CinemaSins - Comedy channel that lists sins in movies

Ben G Thomas - Life and Science channel for those who like science and history

Daily Dose of Internet - Showcases the best trending internet videos

Kevin Smith - Features Kevin Smith's podcasts for those who enjoy listening to him talk (sometimes for hours)

Funhaus - Comedy gaming channel for those who like playing video games and having a bit of a laugh

History of the Ages - Lord of the Rings channel for those who like Lord of the Rings lore

There are some other channels but those are one I frequent the most.

• Advertisement

Lindybeige has some good historical/military talks - less of a fan of the nerdier stuff.
    Numberphile for mathsy videos - more interesting than you'd expect.
    As is Simon Roper - linguistics, emphasis on Old English, again something different to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Lindybeige has some good historical/military talks - less of a fan of the nerdier stuff.

I don't really trust his takes on things.
    Tod's workshop has some gems of videos if you like that especially when he gets actual scholars such as the guy from the Wallace Collection on. This video is interesting if you watch historic TV shows and films.

I also forgot in my previous post to mention Steve1989MRE and his strangely hypnotic reviews of military packed meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

humberklog wrote: »

I prefer his new Daily Bald channel, shorter videos and seems to be more spontaneous. He is in Uzbekistan now which has been interesting. I preferred his videos in India to the ones in Eastern Europe. Same with Harold, always thought he made much better content in Asia than in Europe.

Vagrant Travel is my favorite travel YouTube channel at the moment. American guy who goes to (mostly) Western Europe and sleeps rough, same guy who made the surveillance camera man videos way back in the day. This channel is far less ethically dubious but he still has a great eye for interesting day to day goings on. His video from the Seattle riots was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The Behavior panel - 4 professional body language and behavior experts analyze the behavior and body language of pop culture figure and famous interviews.

Soft white underbelly - A documentary maker interviews homeless people, drug addicts, sex workers, pimps, gang members and destitute people living in areas like skid row LA

Trash theory - Short historical documentary films about musicians, bands and music genres.

Blank on Blank - Short animated videos of famous lost interview recordings.

Sali hughes in the Bathroom - Sali hughes interviews well known makeup artists and people in the fashion & makeup industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ever check out the videos of Abandoned Places? Some of them are very interesting and its a well established niche hobby followed by a lot of people. A whole variety of areas like empty schools, offices, supermarkets are explored by enthusiasts of this hobby who normally film the whole area and you get to see what was left behind before these places went bankrupt or just faded away.

Most of the locations are set in bigger countries like the USA and the quality of the hosts can range from engaging with clever camera skills to extremely annoying "Sick Dude....wow" characters who fling the camera around every millisecond so you cant see a thing. And if you are wondering what the hell could be so entertaining about a 10yr old supermarket aisle littered with beer cans and grafitti, i was that soldier! But stick with it and they can be quite intetesting.

I think there is an irish one where a few D4 kids break into a kip of an old factory/units but its very amateur and there is no danger of getting caught by the Guards, they couldnt care less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jim browning.
    Mark Rober.
    Chrisfix
    Car cleaning guru
    Linus tech tips.
    That pedal show.
    Premier guitar
    Rick Beato

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It depends what you like

Itchy Boots: She travels the world on her motorcycle and is just a really lovely interesting positive human being.

Matt D'Avella: Very popular, creates videos on productivity, life and minimalism.

Clarence Kennedy: Very strong Irish Olympic lifter from Kerry.

Chris Williamson: Interesting musings on people from various walks of life on productivity, philosophy and life hacks etc.,

Abroad in Japan: Sarcastic British guy living in Japan who films some nice videos on the country.

kermodeandmayo: Film reviews.

Nathaniel Drew: Kind of like Matt D'Avella but a little younger and living in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell

Great channel if you enjoy science or explanations on politics

Plainly Difficult if you like going deep into nuclear accidents, Scott Manley for space stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ETTV lots of videos of street food being cooked in Asia, mostly South Korea. No talking, just cooking some weird and mostly nice looking stuff in stalls or cafes.

Primitive Technology A guy in the jungle somewhere in Australia uses Stone age techniques to build things. No narration either, by worth putting captions on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If you're into exotic cars from the 60s 70s or 80s Ian Tyrrell restores some beautiful examples and takes some out for a drive after repair. Really interesting guy with a very technical brain.

There's nothing about old Lambos or Ferraris that he doesn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtube.com/c/SimonWilson12

This is a good channel, he takes a little bit of getting used to but seems a cool guy (he ways mate way way to much)

I like a lot of stuff on pro wrestling by Whatculture, Wrestlelamia and others. Some of the Travel and event vlogs are great too

This is a great channel and can be quite addictive

https://youtube.com/c/TheInfographicsShowOFFICIAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Scammer Payback
    Jim Browning are my go to guys for dealing with Scammers

Karl Rock
    Travels India uncovering scams and behaviour
    Flossy Carter Tech Reviews
    What culture and Wrestlelamia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

For restorations & theraputic watching:

My Mechanics His skill & attention to tiny detail would just sicken your arse, but absolutely compulsive viewing; he has set the benchmark for all the other restorers on YT.

For computers & such:

Explaining Computers A proper nerdy teaching channel by a proper nerdy teachery-type:D All sorts of tech stuff simply explained.

My Mate Vince Another nerdy type channel, amateur have-a-go fix it channel. He's so happy when he figures out how something works & manages to fix it. :p

And as mentioned before:

The Lock Picking Lawyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Epicurious 4 Levels - Dishes prepared by a level 1 amateur, a level 2 home cook and a level 3 professional chef. Each dish analyzed afterwards by a "level 4" food scientist

Worth It - Steve and Andrew with their sound engineer Adam travel the USA and across the globe trying food dishes at different prices ie A €5 burger, a €50 dollar burger and a €500 burger. Afterwards they choose which is their favourite.

Wrestling Bios - A really good pro wrestling history channel ran by some Northern Irish guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Real Engineering
    CGP Grey
    Pindex

While not the whole channel the "Pitch Meeting" series on ScreenRant are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

pjohnson wrote: »
    While not the whole channel the "Pitch Meeting" series on ScreenRant are excellent.

Is that the one where every thumbnail has a character with enlarged eyes? Annoys me for some reason, never watched any of them. Just screams douche bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jay Foreman

He has three main series. 'Map Men' who is co-presented with another guy about interesting maps and geography quirks. 'Unfinished London' about the evolution of London, and 'Politics Unboringed' about British Politics. A lot of it is very interesting (the type of stuff you'd hear about in QI) and is presented with incredibly dry British humour. Some of the ads at the end are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JayForeman/playlists

All The Stations

A British rail enthusiast couple travel to or pass through every rail station in Britain. Might sound boring but it is incredibly charming with loads of great scenery footage, local history, and interviews with locals. The guy is a video producer by trade so it is very polished and their best episodes wouldn't look out of place on BBC Four. The girl works with the British Transport Museum and is great with the history side of things. So their professions add to the quality feel of the series rather than just two people randomly filming their travels.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4PdgT_AV_nXshM-I7xjYpXG-C_2tH1W9

The following year they traveled to all the stations in Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4PdgT_AV_nXMZLPuz-ZM2gevSVy9F3xN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wise Uncle. It explains how people like Derren Brown or Lior Suchard do their tricks.

He explains how people like Derren Brown and Lior Suchard do tricks. They use misdirection claiming its psychology when really it's cameras and slight of hand. Etc.

People used to claim it was mentalism whatever that is. Like Uri Geller but people (even inside the magic community felt he took it too far and people like Terry Cooper exposed him).

But derren brown was kind of genius because he sold himself as a sceptic just like Houdini but Houdini never claimed to be able to read people through psychology. Houdini impressed people with the skills he COULD do.Houdini was a true sceptic encouraging people to question everything. Derren Brown uses the label sceptic to disarm people from questioning HIM. Its like labelling your self help book ...by saying its not a self help book to get around people being suspicious of self help books.

I mean if you asked Derren brown if he would subject his claims of NLP to rigorous independent scientific testing. He would undoubtedly say no. Because its psuedo science.

If he were not pushing into trying to claim it can help people with mental health etc and encouraging people to suspend their disbelief about mental health gurus. That would be fine. But he crosses a line imo. And there isn't anything positive he is contributing to areas like mental health or philosophy. Its just patter to add to his act. He just refines his act very well.

Wise uncle explains and proves how these things are done. If you write something down and put it in a box there can be a camera in the box. Or it can be taken from you without you realizing by slight of hand. And the magician will be told etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement