Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pros and Cons of buying a Donkey

• 01-05-2021 10:19am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Pros
    I'll have a donkey
    The Tax Credits

Cons
    I'll need to buy a bigger bed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Get a wee donkey. Careful you don't end up with an ass. Much harder to get an ass in the passenger seat of a Ford cortina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He'll be smarter than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Difficult if living in apartment. Especially above ground floor as very stubborn when it comes to lifts or stairs. Also, they may exceed the weight rating of balcony.
    Once bitten, twice shy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Shoo in for the kids nativity play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Pros
    I'll have a donkey
    The Tax Credits

Cons

It's hard to get into pubs with a donkey and even if you do, they probably won't serve the donkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's hard to get into pubs with a donkey and even if you do, they probably won't serve the donkey.

Of you give the Donkey a name like Ben, people will say "here comes Ben and the donkey'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You'd have pletny of hot girls coming up to you and asking if they can pet your ass....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Either way it’s a big decision, you should definitely mule it over for a while

Con:their noisy animals and roar at yous,if your coming in late at night drunk

Pro: they have a cross on their back,to aim for when landing on em via parachute

The donkey sanctuary in cork is worth a visit though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any good pub will have a pole outside for tying up your donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Either way it’s a big decision, you should definitely mule it over for a while

Maybe ask the neigh-bours?

Ah Jayses that’s only ass-king for trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

People refer to 3 legged donkeys as a “wonky”, but actually 3 legs is the most efficient and stable arrangement of legs, as per tripods and 3 legged stools. So be sure to get a 3 legged one if you have uneven ground and you don’t want it to wobble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you can source one without a tail, you can rent it out for kids parties.

It’ll pay for itself in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Donkeys don't neigh, they bray. So the OP will have to move to Wicklow.

I’m seeing a lot of pros here, all genuine, and very few cons. Go for it op.

I’m seeing alt of pros here, all genuine, and very few cons. Go for it op.

The only donkey Kong is that they tend to throw barrels at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He'll leave hoof prints on the lino.

Hee Haw Hee Haw Hee H'always does that.

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary. Donkeys have particularly urgent foot-care needs, because they originate from hardened climates where their feet are naturally worn by their environment, but can over-grow on Irish soil.. The Irish Donkey Sanctuary go all around the country, tending to donkeys' feet.

To the OP, if you have half an acre of grass and the time and temperament for a donkey, you will be richly rewarded.

They are fantastic creatures. Very intelligent. Biblically modest, none of the haughty arrogance of horses. It should come as no surprise that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on the back of the same animal that carried his pregnant mother into Bethlehem. Everybody's life is enriched by having a donkey in it. Nobody in human history has regretted befriending a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The only good donkey is the one that wins the Donkey Derby. The rest are all losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Plus: we can all call around to your house for live action Buckaroo!

I'll start collecting mining equipment pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

those are saloons you are thinking of barkeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey.

The donkey market is way overheated at the moment. Would you not consider renting a donkey for the time being and see what the future brings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Claerly, you've never been to Mayo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mad_maxx wrote: »

No there was one in Ballincollig. Had a thatched roof, red wooden windows and doors. Twas definitely a pub. The Auld Fox it was called. You could tell if your friends were inside because you recognised the donkeys. Fierce handy altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary.

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The best pubs will serve your donkey a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

the local idiot and a donkey walked into a bar and the bar man asked where did ya get him '' i won him in a raffel '' said the Donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

You'll finally have something good to do with all that lettuce you grew in your windowbox over lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone , which is why the donkey sanctuary boards them out as pairs .
    They will need a field shelter that they can enter and exit as they wish .

You need to have a farrier who will give them the proper foot care as mentioned .
    I’d say you’d need at least a few acres , so that you can “ rest” paddocks as needed .

They are wonderful animals . When I win the Lotto , I will re-home a few pairs from the Donkey Sanctuary . At present I can just about pay to keep 1 horse .

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone , which is why the donkey sanctuary boards them out as pairs

That's a good point. OP, if you're going to keep one donkey, you might as well get a second. They form extremely strong pair-bonds, like horses do. They can become a bit inseparable.

Like horses, they do not limit themselves to their kind. They can befriend a cow, or a sheep, just as easily. But company is very important. Donkeys are very gregarious.

As byhookorbycrook says, make sure you have access to a farrier. It might be hard to get a farrier just to pare your monkey's hooves — farriers are in short supply — so you could ask around a local yard, and have their farrier pop-by when he's doing their horses.

Otherwise, they're low maintenance. Just a few wormings per year, depending on which animals they're sharing a field with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary. Donkeys have particularly urgent foot-care needs, because they originate from hardened climates where their feet are naturally worn by their environment, but can over-grow on Irish soil.. The Irish Donkey Sanctuary go all around the country, tending to donkeys' feet.

To the OP, if you have half an acre of grass and the time and temperament for a donkey, you will be richly rewarded.

They are fantastic creatures. Very intelligent. Biblically modest, none of the haughty arrogance of horses. It should come as no surprise that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on the back of the same animal that carried his pregnant mother into Bethlehem. Everybody's life is enriched by having a donkey in it. Nobody in human history has regretted befriending a donkey.

Quite

4j2ag0e.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It might be hard to get a farrier just to pare your monkey's hooves — farriers are in short supply

I’d say monkey farriers particularly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is a field near me with 2 horses and 1 donkey. any time I pass, the donkey is always on his own. the 2 horses are always together. kind of feel sad for the poor donkey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pros
    Any good donkey will know the way home from the pub at the end of the night.
    Way better auto navigation than a Tesla

Cons
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Rjld6

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Either achieve coitus or get coitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There is a field near me with 2 horses and 1 donkey. any time I pass, the donkey is always on his own. the 2 horses are always together. kind of feel sad for the poor donkey.

Could be that he’s being an ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

begbysback wrote: »
    Could be that he’s being an ass

You have obsession with ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Pro - you have a donkey
    Con - you have a donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IMG_2505.JPG

You can use it to transport tired monkeys, in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

People refer to 3 legged donkeys as a “wonky”, but actually 3 legs is the most efficient and stable arrangement of legs, as per tripods and 3 legged stools. So be sure to get a 3 legged one if you have uneven ground and you don’t want it to wobble.

I think you'll find work health and safety don't think 3 legs is sufficient. Minimum is 5.

I think you'll find work health and safety don't think 3 legs is sufficient. Minimum is 5.

How about he buys a werewolf then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there is no NCT for donkeys, well not that i know of

fryup wrote: »

Nutrituional Carrot Take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Pro: You’ll get to correct everyone when they call it a dunkey instead of a donkey ... thus leading to vast airs of superiority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cheap transportation

Donkey ****t everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Cons

this springs to mind :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone
    Ah, that is how Bray got its name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Cheap transportation

Donkey ****t everywhere...

donkeys generally ***t in a couple of places and not everywhere. they are fairly clean animals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    Technically it's the NDT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement