Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Haven't posted in a while:o

Been playing steady this year so far, but nothing great in qualifying. Got a custom set of irons (AP1) last September and worked on swing with lessons over the winter and on chipping in the spring. Made a tweak to driver set-up about a month ago, and it has been massively beneficial.

Last 5 counting have been in the buffer (including a very windy Galway Bay). Played casual rounds in Greencastle in Donegal (short course) twice last week, 44 & 40 pts. Played 9 at home last night off the tips (22pts).

I think I have a good score coming, and hopefully a nice cut to go with it. Been stuck at 17/18 for years but hoping the work this year pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

18 holes in Vale Do Lobo Sunday. 2 under thru 4, scratched the 5th, an ace on the 9th, and lots of bogeys on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Haven't played in nearly a 8 months with an injury. So nice to get out for a game in the gold coast in the last week.

Golf left a lot to be desired. 92 strokes off 12. Still nice to be out. Still don't feel fully right but hopefully can get in a few more games over he summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

2 rounds again this weekend (I could get used to this!!!)

First, 32 points out in Thurles with Boards. Bit of a mixed bag. Played some really nice golf, generally drove the ball pretty well, and played some decent strategic golf here & there. Couldn't quite get things going on the back 9. Was putting myself in OK positions, but putts weren't dropping. No 3-putts at all though which is a definite positive.

Then today was playing in the Scratch Cup in the home clubs open week.

Shot 82 strokes off 10. Could have been a few shots better too.

11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 Quad 9 on a par 5 :(

Clause 19 should bring that down to a 7 as I've no stroke on the hole, which should mean a 2 under and possibly the cut to get 9.

The quad was a shocker. Hit drive into the trees. Knocked it out on the fairway & hit a decent iron down in range. Had about 100 left to the pin hitting my 4th, figured worst case scenario I was making a 6. Pulled approach into greenside bunker. Tried to be a bit too precise with it, caught the lip & rolled back into the bunker & came to a stop in my footprint. Tried hitting out of a terrible lie but left it in the bunker again. Splashed out in a rage, 2 putts & on to the next.

Bounced back well though & parred the next 5 holes on the bounce.

Scrambled & putted extremely well all day, actually my best putting day ever. 25 putts (11 1-putts, 7 2-putts. Had lip-outs on 2 of those 2-putts too & I've no idea how they didn't drop as they were basically dead weight & stopped within a couple of inches)

53% FIR
    11% GIR
    56% Scrambling

Edit...ahhh, scratch cup was won with 81 strokes, so I missed out by 1 stroke including the 9, but cut to 9.3 so finally hit single figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,478 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Strange round yesterday. Started off by finding out I was 24 hours early for my tee time bout 5 minutes before I started. Got a gap an hour later, so was messing around that whole time. Then I must have taken a knock at football a few days earlier, back of ribs are in bits when take a deep breath, and then swinging a club doesn't help.

So while trying to go full tilt at it, I was cutting the ball with the driver, then also losing distance on every club (normal 9 irons became 8, etc.). Striking was far worse than it has been in weeks too! Got off to a quick start though, good few pars. Got to the turn at level. Then two over after 11. Think was trying to force my usual game to this stage (going with my usual clubs even though all were short).

12th I said to myself I better take the extra clubs where needed. Was 1 over gross for last 7, 5 better than handicap which included 2 birdies. Tbh I probably should have had 2 more pars too, but was content with those 3 putts.

2 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogies
    3 worse

Somehow all combined to a 39 points. Comes with a cut to 12.8, so have to deal with a shot less now.

Roll on Enniscrone and Strandhill this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

33 points Saturday.
    Course got alot of rain Friday night so they decided placing everywhere. Honestly placing in the fairway would have been generous.

4 Pars total I think which is poor for me.
    I had 7 3 putts. Two were from long range but .. yeah. I had a handful of make able birdie chances that I walked off with a double so frustration was getting high.

I've been working so much on getting my strike back with irons/driver my old miss with the putter (pull) is creeping back in. Back to Puttout nightly in the house to sort that out, no point getting on the green in two only to 3putt.

Plus side is I'm getting back to the center of the club face again which is a huge relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

The good score I was predicting arrived, unfortunately it was a casual round. Broke 80 :) (79) at the home course for the first time, previous best being an 85.
    11 pars , 7 bogeys, just never put myself in any trouble.

Roll on the weekend competition and reality bites :(
    Start with double, double, scratch:eek:. and horrible rain showers to boot. Managed to grind through the round and scrap into the buffer with 34 points.

Hopefully can put a score together someday when I actually have a card in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

Shot my course record on Saturday of 74 Gross for 68 Nett. Felt that this round was coming over the past weeks, key to the round was keeping any doubles off the card. Solid front 9 and only really made 1 mistake from a duff approach on a par 5 to turn 1 under.

3 silly bogeys on the back 9 from good positions and finished 2 over overall to beat my best score by 1 shot. A nice cut of 0.6 to get back down to 5.0.

3 birdies
    10 pars
    5 bogeys

Now to try follow it up next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Managed to get 3 round of golf in this week suprisingly.

Thursday evening I played day 1 of the captains and like all my golf lately was a mixed bag totally. Started double bogie, bogie and I was angry but then went par par to get back on track +3 thru 4 and 3 easy holes to follow. Lovely drive down left clipped trees but they are easy to get out from and I was along way down on a par 4. Walked down and ball was no where to be found. Walked all the way back to tee and came off with a triple! Rest of round was much th same a good hole or 2 followed followed by a disaster. To win was always out of the question but I was hoping to win gross so when I finished +9 nett it felt as if I was gone and thoughts if having to play day 2 with zero to play for was tough!

1 birdie
    5 pars
    4 bogies
    6 doubles
    2 worse 🙈

Saturday was a much better day down with the society in thurles. Again there was no great golf played but I was putting well enough and kept big score off the card and I was over to moon to get the win with 37pts. One of my first times this year shooting better than handicap. Really struggling with my swing after 18 months or so out of the game. Just really inconsistent with both pull, pushes and S****ks , Duff's and tops literally every shot!

1 birdie
    7 pars
    7 bogies
    3 doubles

So Sunday and day 2 of captains came around very quick and I was tired and with nothing to play for thought I might relax and stop overthinking my swing etc but no again I started awful on the front 9 with a list ball on 5 again! One of my favourite holes but I had birdie with my second ball. The golf on the front 9 was better than on Thursday but still came away having used up all my handicap mainly because of an 8 on par 4 8th. My second ball was about an inch into OB and just too many bogies!
    On the 10th tee I was fustrated, disheartened and if I could find an excuse at all I might have gone home. Playing bogie golf and worse but to not get another .1 back I would need to shot lever par on the back or close to it... unlikely!
    So started just hitting one shot at a time and before I knew it we were on the 17th tee and I was +1 gross for the back. Knocked down my drive on 17 but got the bogie and my drive on 18 had to be putted out from under the tree but again make bogie with a long putt. Broke 40 for the 1st time on 9 holes so that's something to bring me out again cause I was seriously considering a hiatus from the game. So that left me hitting 180 over the 2 days +36gross.
    However as I've said before there are only about 5 women in the club playing off less that 20 so to my amazement, surprise and delight I won the gross

8 pars
    7 bogie
    2 doubles
    1 quad

So what I'm taking from this week. Is the golf is still in me to get back to 10 or lower I just need to stop overthinking my swing and the game when I'm on the course and really try reduce the big mistakes! Looking forward to next round!

• Advertisement

Lost on the 19th at 10.30pm last night in the Singles Matchplay. Still in one more next week.

I was late to the match, started early (6am) to be back for 6pm and didn't get finished work until 7pm so I was dead on my feet.Straight from work to the course and straight out onto the first in my work clothes. Had to step off the last putt on the 19th with my legs acting like an accordion.

Was one up on the 9th at 2over par off 17 against a 12HC and then went hole for hole on the back nine. I just couldn't keep it up and it was getting hard to see the ball by the 17th, I just wanted it over. Playing off the Blues tired is rough on the best of days.

His ball split in to two on his second on 17 so I let him retake it, he hit it over the green into the trees. I was helping him look and he called it but I found it on the way back out for under them and he proceeded to hit one of the best recoveries I've seen. He had to grip the club about 6" up from the club head and knocked it to 10feet.

Really good game and a gent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

39 pts last weekend for my first cut since last september +class runnerup.
    Putting and chipping improved and had quite a few tap ins for par. But also finished with the same ball I started with.
    1 birdy
    11 par
    5 bogie
    1 double (4 putted on the 18th!)

First round of Captains prize is this weekend so hoping I can bring last week's form!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

2 rounds of 31 at the weekend then hammered 6&4 in the club fourball matchplay.

My partner didn't show up, in the 14 holes he had 2 putts that could have made a difference. Didn't finish out in the other 12.

I had to give 8 shots away to one of the other team. In the 6 holes he played where he was shooting he hit 5 pars and 1 bogey in addition to a birdie on another hole. Not bad for a 15 handicap!

Mentioned it in links thread, but open comp in Enniscrone today. 33 points so I was happy with that. Had time to warm up and every shot was pushing right, so was fighting it on the course. Got around it though, a few pars in a row between 8-10 helped (would have been 5 if I'd hit my putt on 11).

What a magnificent setting. To start off in nice open flat to then go straight into the dunes, but emerge back to the flat and play the last 8 amongst the dunes...unreal.

6 pars
    2 scrathes

Can't remember other shots, but also ended up +2 prov1s so what a successful day

An awful round in Strandhill. Think was like 25 points. The problems I had warming up in Enniscrone came on like a train, couldn't it my irons at all. It was actually abysmal. I also get the impression the late pints the night before didn't help, but only had a small amount. Got no luck either. The bad shots were duly punished, the good shots were punished even moreso.

Great course though, really enjoyed it. It's very rare I get to play links, so it's nice to have tgese ticked off the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Played Ballykisteen, what a great course. Some really great holes.

Had my best round ever, 16 over..

I really enjoyed this course, plenty of water to deal with and blind shots.

Anyone else ever play here?

I'm sorry it took me so long to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

galwayllm wrote: »
    Played Ballykisteen, what a great course. Some really great holes.

Had my best round ever, 16 over..

I really enjoyed this course, plenty of water to deal with and blind shots.

Anyone else ever play here?

I'm sorry it took me so long to play it.

And you slag off Rory?

Remind me wrote: »
    And you slag off Rory?

Rory who? Ha...i do because I don't like him at all... I do enjoy watching him and Garcia not doing well.

Tbf I'm only playing about 30mths. Took it up late in life due to injury from other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Shot 89 off my new 18 handicap for Captains Prize qualifier.

Rough front 9 of 47 with a quad on the index 1 4th hole had me thinking there was no chance but rallied with very stable 42 on the back. Got my first 2's at home club as well with a massive 60+ foot putt that just happened to fly right.

Third cut now in 5-6 weeks. Down to 17.4 from 20.6 so going in the right direction finally.

Hoping I can keep it up for next week and place somewhere decent.

My quick handicap drop & run of good form came to a stop at the weekend.

27 points in the Open Singles, last qualifying event of our open week in Castlewarden.

Felt like I didn't actually play that terribly to be honest, but short game was a major let-down. Didn't give myself enough realistic chances to make up & downs.

Couple of loose tee shots, and attempts where I took far too aggressive lines. Was well down after 9 holes, so was probably chasing a little which led to some of the trouble.

So back out to 9.4. At least I'm getting 2 weeks at single figures ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

haven't posted in here in a while.

Shot 73(+2) in a weekly comp off 10. Played well around and on the green, had a lot of up and downs.
    Should have been a 69 at least as I had 8 on the 11th, followed by an 8 on the 12th.
    3 birdies
    8 pars
    3 bogeys
    2 doubles
    2 quad's :(

only really getting back into playing regular golf so happy with the round over all. 2 bad drives led to the 8's so need to work on that.

Captains prize next week :O

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played Tullamore at 7:40 on Saturday, 6am rise, not ideal but at least it left the whole day free.
    Started off great, lovely drive to the left-hand side of the fairway leaves a handy enough approach - which I left to about 10 foot. Missed the birdie but got the par.
    Second hole, par 3, left it miles short left but chipped to about 10 foot again - got the putt, another par.
    Next hole is tough index 4, my drive went long but slightly left so had to chip out under some branches. Middle of fairway and hit the centre of the green but two putted – still very happy with my start.
    Next is a dogleg right par 5, hit another peach of a drive, laid up approach (very tough green) and lipped out the birdie putt – another Par. What’s going on here?!!!!
    Dogleg right par 4 next with water right so laid up left – have donated enough balls to the lake!! Long second shot meant a lay up again and I just missed the par putt. Still happy, 2 over.
    Tough par 3 next and my first real bad shot of the round, chipped to the edge of the green for second but miles from the hole. Another chip and two putts, double.
    Next is another dogleg par 5, this time with water to the right. Hit my drive lovely and straight, too far out so laid up with second – tough green and OOB to the right and steep bank to rear. Second bad shot of the day came when I bladed my chip through the green and on to an upslope of the 7th tee box. Downward lie and then over a path and back up to the green. Bumped the ball into the upslope and got up and down from there for a 6. Am walking on air at this stage.
    And another dogleg right driveable par 4 with water, I use my three wood here even though I know I’ve enough distance to get over the water at 200m but I never chance it. I normally hit it left of the pond and chip on to the green only this time I put my ball into the middle of the pond. ☹ Took a drop and made 6.
    Final hole on the front 9 is a handy enough par 3, hit it left into a bunker and almost got up and down again, bogie for a +8 front 9 which could have been so much better.
    Standing on the 10th, my playing partner said keep it up you’ve a good score going and this just seemed to switch my game off completely. Hit a very decent drive and that was nearly the best shot I hit for the following 9 holes. Duffed chips, few sh@nks, 3 lost balls (hit 2 OOB on the next par 3) just a total loss of my game meant I scored more points in the first 3 holes than I did on the last 9 – I was so disappointed to throw away a potential score, even buffer would have done me at this stage. My driving was still ok but everything apart from that was shocking bad. I tried to take a minute to regroup but it was like I had never swung a club before in my life. I was deflated signing my card.
    I was going to leave lessons until after the summer and work on it all over the winter but 9 x 0.1’s in my last 13 competitions means I need to do something drastic to stop the rot. I know I can play much better, I just need to learn how to get some form of consistency.

+7 (off 6) in our medal on saturday.

Was +1 through 12 then the wheels fell off a bit before recovering with 3 pars to finish.

29 putts (no 3 putts)
    7 GIR - 2 birds 5 pars
    2/2 from the sand
    3/9 up and downs

Had a ball OB and left myself blocked to the green on 2 of my tee shots which resulted in a double and triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

84 gross off 14.
    Started with lost ball OOB.
    So a double straight out the gate. Then bogey, par, bogey and another lost ball after a great drive (8iron pulled into knee high rough.) for second double of the round.
    Birdie on the next woke me up and 2 very good pars got me interested again only to follow another great drive with a chunked wedge causing a bogey. Turned with 42 when breaking 40 was my goal so not bad but not great either.
    2 over for the next 4 holes and I was feeling good but needed to par in from here to stand a chance.
    Duck hook off the tee on the index 1 into trouble so knocked it back into play only to chunk 2 wedges and only advance the ball 10 yards. A triple bogey and the red mist began to descend.
    Another huge drive( plenty of angst behind it) and a simple par followed by 2 more had me standing on 18th needing birdie for 80. Decent drive left 8 iron in but left it 50 foot putt. Left it 4 foot short and processed to lip next one out.
    Best scoring in stroke comp in a long while but could of been 4 or 5 better.
    Turned out winner had shot a nett 62 off 18 so I wouldn't of been near the podium anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Captains prize today, and it was a tail of two half’s in tricky conditions.

Had 84(+13) off 10.
    Started off with a bogey, bogey, double, triple start so the card was more or less gone. Ended with a double double on the front nine for 50. Heavy rain and wind made for tough conditions but I can’t blame the weather for 3 duff chips and 3 duff putts.
    Then everything just clicked on the back nine, had 4 birdies 3 pars and 2 bogeys for 34.

Went with a cautious approach on the front nine and it didn’t work for me. Raging that I had such a bad front nine as even if I had a decent front nine I would have been in the running.

I think I’m close to a great score so lots of positives to take from the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faffingaround

95 strokes in Ballinasloe.

4 pars and a birdie on the par 4 16th were the highlights.

Started off with a stroke of luck on the first where my chip from beside a tree hit the flag at pace and stopped a foot from the hole for a gimme par.
    3 putted the 2nd and parred the 3rd with a nice chip in to ten feet. Overcooked a really good approach on 4 for a bogus 6. Then had trebles on 5 and 6 due to a brain fart and shank respectively. Bogeyed 7 and 8 with steady play and then again overcooked this time with a 8 iron on the 9th for a double.

Parred the 10th and got too cocky on the 11th for a double. Parred the tricky 12th with a worldly of a chip over the wooden defence to 6foot. Hit a triple on the index one 13th where I just switched off. Double on the 14th and smart bogey on the 15th. On the 16th I hit a 250 yard drive and perfect 120yard wedge to six inches. Lovely trajectory to the wedge! Lessons paid off! Then on the 17th I lashed it close and two putted after a good chip. On the 18th(scene of a mare last year) I three putted from 20feet for a 7😭 Still my best round ever! Which is kinda sad! But could have broke 95 which is a summer goal.

Ballinasloe is a well worn track. They have refurbished the first tee box and created a new office which overlooks it.. Some really nice holes but the bunkers need a bit of TLC. The green fee is up to 25 euro which is still cheap. If anyone wants a game there during the summer let me know as I have distance membership.

Ballinasloe is a well worn track. They have refurbished the first tee box and created a new office which overlooks it.. Some really nice holes but the bunkers need a bit of TLC. The green fee is up to 25 euro which is still cheap. If anyone wants a game there during the summer let me know as I have distance membership.

I've only played it once and its not a massive distance away from me but i do remember i said i'd never play it again as i was nearly clobbered with a ball on one of the crossing fairways!
    Must go down some day for another look

Played my club matchplay quarters last week. Me of 17 vs 13

Won on the 19th. Couldn't put or I would have won without the shots, hit the ball a mile but his short game isn't good enough.

Again, a gent and would have no problem playing him again.

Next match is against a 6HC next, recognize the name on the results, usually shoots close to par so I'll have to play well

31pts off 22, putting was very poor with 5/6 3 putts. Other than that happy to see my lessons paying off and driving straighter again. Highlight of the round was a 25ish foot birdie putt dropping for a 2.

Hopefully I'll go better in medal tomorrow

+2 front nine yesterday for 20 points. 7 pars 2 bogeys.

Played 10-13 par birdie par eagle. -1 with 5 to play, first eagle on my home course.

Double bogeyed 14 with after a misclub from semi rough, poor chip and lip out with bogey putt.

Then bogeyed my way in. Few small mistakes, 1 3 putt on 18 and an awful bit of luck clipping an overhanging branch resulting in an unplayable on 17.

+5 off 7 (3rd overall after countback, 5 players all had highest score on 38). Think it'll take me a while to get over this one after finishing it the way i did. Cut to 6.0 but should have been lower.

92 in Vice Captains Prize on Saturday. Would have taken your hand off for that score this time last year but I didn't play particularly well.

Highlights: Managed to avoid a .1 so stopped the rot of past couple of weeks, and chipped in for birdie well of the green on 18.

Low point: Hit the base of the flag on one of the par 5s only for it to fire left and off the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭davegilly

pakman wrote: »
    92 in Vice Captains Prize on Saturday. Would have taken your hand off for that score this time last year but I didn't play particularly well.

Highlights: Managed to avoid a .1 so stopped the rot of past couple of weeks, and chipped in for birdie well of the green on 18.

Low point: Hit the base of the flag on one of the par 5s only for it to fire left and off the green.
    Played in that as well. Had 7 pars on the front 9 for a 42. Finished up with 96 😭

Highlights: Front 9

Low point: Back 9

Played Tullamore on Saturday morning and like my last few rounds, I started off ok but my inconsistent golf came back with a bang.

Lipped out par on the first for a bogie,
    Par on the second, middle of green (Par 3) and nearly got the 2 so happy with a tap in par
    Lipped out for bogie on the next, low index so still happy
    Tap in par on the 4th hole, a par 5 then bang, my horrendous miss-hit came back on the 6th. The 45 degree right off the sole of the club shot. You need 230m to carry a pond if you go for it and I done this no problem, but I hit my second about 70m over to the right and into trouble under a tree. Had to chip out and in pure frustration I went over the green with my next but scrambled a 6 and a point.
    Next is a long par 3, decided to go for the pin and hit the middle of the green (166m) nearly got another 2 but happy with another par.
    Very decent drive on the next par 5 left me 190m to the middle of the green but second shot was over water – something that never bothered me before – I was laying up anyway. What did I do? Not one but two topped balls into the pond. ☹ Dropped a third ball as I wanted to finish out the hole and put my next shot just in front of the green, chipped up to a foot. First scratch of the day.
    (BTW – we were playing in a two ball and 2 x four balls in front of us so I wasn’t holding up anyone playing a third ball)
    Next hole is a driveable par 4, dogleg right and a pond for anyone wanting to lay up! Never used driver on it before but took it out this time. For the first time in years I hit it long and left into long rough, played a provisional just in case and nearly drove the green. Found the first so had to chip out back to the fairway and then it happened again, the miss-hit. Third went OOB so had to drop and try again – middle of the green and another scratch. Finished out the hole for a 7.
    9th another par 3. Middle of the green again and what did I do – 3 putted it.
    10th redeemed myself a bit, 225m drive, simple 130m in and 2 putt par.
    11th Decent drive but blocked out by trees, so sideways chip and nearly got up and down so tap in bogie.
    12th Long par 3 again, nearly 200 yards, hit the left-hand greenside bunker, ball on downslope and big lip on bunker. Managed to get it out but could only manage a 5, still a point
    Another good drive on 13 but clipped a tree with approach, third was a decent chip and 2 putts, bogie
    14th is a very long par 4 in Tullamore, needs a very long accurate drive and second shot to get near the green. Done the first bit right, huge drive to middle of fairway left me 185m. Was laying up as it’s a tough green to hit and again, another miss-hit and ball OOB. Frustrated I dropped another, took out a hybrid and left my ball left of the green and pin high – screw this playing safe anymore. Got up an down for a 6.
    15th, still frustrated drove to middle of fairway and then hit my next shot slightly left – blocked out by a tree again so chip sideways and then another damm miss-hit. Scrambled the rest of the way for a 7. (Par 5)
    16th, decent drive, decent approach just shy of the green, lovely chip and missed a few foot putt for par.
    17th hit it left and had enough room to get over a tree to the green if I used my 60degree wedge – went to the bag, no sign of it, I must have left it at the 12th when I was in the bunker. Had to pitch sideways and then chipped onto the green and two putted cause I couldn’t concentrate wondering where I left my wedge.
    18th, thought a par would get me buffer but I never had a par on 18 before. Hit another lovely 237m drive to the left hand side of the fairway (best angle in) left me 190m in and I nailed my hybrid to the back of the green, almost sank the putt but well happy with a par to finish.
    Alas it wasn’t to be and missed the buffer by 1 and up a shot as I was on 19.4 before Saturday. Really really disappointed with my game at the moment as I know I can play well, I just can’t for 18 holes. A few shots here and there is really punishing me and costing me a score so have lessons booked to try stop the slump – I’ve gone from 17.3 to 19.5 now and need to do something about it. Tullamore is much tougher than my old course but still, I know I can play here.
    92 Gross
    5 Pars
    6 Bogies
    7 Doubles or Worse. :(

Played the Palmerstown House Open today.

I was meant to play it in May so glad I got out on a good day. Being the open week alot of pitchmarks on the greens and they seemed to be running a wee bit slow but very true. Thought the back nine was the better looking side of the course but I'd still pick the Curragh over it. Overall in very good condition.

35 Points
    Highlights were 6 or 7 Pars and a Birdie 2. Low lights were the 4 scratches.

Scratched the first just hitting the ball rubbish then went par,par and then took too much on from the rough on the index one and didn't get it in the hole in enough shots from a drop. Went from steady golf to crap rapidly and then back again. Pretty happy with the score all things considered. The big score is there, if I can knock some more off the HC before the season is over I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Played the Palmerstown House Open today.

I was meant to play it in May so glad I got out on a good day. Being the open week alot of pitchmarks on the greens and they seemed to be running a wee bit slow but very true. Thought the back nine was the better looking side of the course but I'd still pick the Curragh over it. Overall in very good condition.

35 Points
    Highlights were 6 or 7 Pars and a Birdie 2. Low lights were the 4 scratches.

Scratched the first just hitting the ball rubbish then went par,par and then took too much on from the rough on the index one and didn't get it in the hole in enough shots from a drop. Went from steady golf to crap rapidly and then back again. Pretty happy with the score all things considered. The big score is there, if I can knock some more off the HC before the season is over I'll be delighted.

35 Points with 4 scratches is a big score. What handicap are you playing off ?

Still 17 at the minute

Fantastic round today. My best ever score and broke 85 for the first time.

17 points on the front and 25 on the back off my new 18 handicap.

7 pars
    1 eagle (my first ever)
    7 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 triple

The eagle was a 270 yard drive onto the green, which i have never done before but the wind and a bounce helped. The putt was massive, over a hump, and left to right in final 15 feet. I just hit it perfectly and it dropped into the middle of the cup.

I love my new driver!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Scotch foursomes quarter final last night. We were 3 up playing the 14th and lost on the 19th!

Keano wrote: »
    Scotch foursomes quarter final last night. We were 3 up playing the 14th and lost on the 19th!

Crikey. What happened?

36 points today. Hard to know how I played, as there were 2 scratches and 5 lost balls in the round.

10 pars overall, so guess that helped claw most of it back. Nice to be back into the swing of it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

At last.....38 points, 88. Two doubles to finish when 40 should have been the score. Duffed a chip on 17 and couldnt get out of rough I drove into on 18

Should move back to 19, and on my way back towards 17/18 where I would feel more comfortable

At least I have the buffer to fight for in bad rounds again

I had already had the 10 with no cuts!

Can I carry it forward to Castleknock next weekend

Minor scratch cup at my hoe course the following week!!

Played the Baltray minor cup today.

Didn't get a score in. Two groups on the tee waiting on a very slow group ahead, my ball landed just ahead of my playing partners but was nowhere to be found and the group behind were tee'ing off.

Dropped a ball where I thought it would be,hacked out and got up and down for par just for the card.

49F and 41B counting the drop par that doesn't count.
    Had a 7 on a par4 and an 8 on a par5 on the front 9. 6 pars.

Drove the ball really well my irons just sucked. Nearly drove the 4th and 14th.

Stuck one in the scrub from a 280yd drive in the middle of the fairway on the 9th and that about sums it up. When I got a good iron after a drive I par'd the hole.

Highlights
    Made par on the monster index 1 465yd par4

Lowlights
    3 balls down and no score i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Came 3rd in the Captain's prize at my new club thats 2 years in a row now but least I got a descent prize this time Cleveland 60g wedge! Now if I could just find the instructions on how to use it! :D

This is one that got away stitched the par 3, 4th a hole I really struggle with 180yds over a river. Left myself 44 inches to the flag. One of my playing partners told me to measure it as its NP. So I did but picked up my ball after I measured it to put the tape back and never marked my ball! So called a penalty on myself (turns out it was the NP for the women's :rolleyes:) . Sank the putt for a 2 so least it took the sting out a bit cause I would of bit your hand off for par on the Tee. Put it out off my mind and was really playing some nice golf best Ive played in quite a while! got a good bit of luck nice bounces etc was actually thinking the gods are shining and today might be my day!

Then came the 17th index 1 dog leg right its 235 yds to carry the river. Since I have my new 3 wood & driver Ive being over hitting it off the whites with my 3 wood into the trees I used to struggle with my old driver to make it never mind my 3 wood. fairway is like a 90 deg angle from the tee with river running all along it. So was saying its definitely driver off the blues. Playing partner who is off 4 went first and over hit his driver. So I stood up hit mine but half arsed hit it.. As I was thinking of his shot instead of fully committing.. looked tight in the air. Lads taught they seen it bounce. but it didnt.. :( had to drop at river shanked that shot into the river dropped again and took a 8! I lost the Captains by 2 shots...

But I broke 90 for the first time at my new club off blues too which its a monster off and finally got my first cut! Confidence is high again.. Had a great day met a good few member's at the dinner after and am severally hung over today. So all's good.

I have done something stupid in nearly every Captains day i've played in.. Ha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Where is new club??

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Where is new club??

Kilkea castle

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

benny79 wrote: »
    Came 3rd in the Captain's prize at my new club thats 2 years in a row now but least I got a descent prize this time Cleveland 60g wedge! Now if I could just find the instructions on how to use it! :D

This is one that got away stitched the par 3, 4th a hole I really struggle with 180yds over a river. Left myself 44 inches to the flag. One of my playing partners told me to measure it as its NP. So I did but picked up my ball after I measured it to put the tape back and never marked my ball! So called a penalty on myself (turns out it was the NP for the women's :rolleyes:) . Sank the putt for a 2 so least it took the sting out a bit cause I would of bit your hand off for par on the Tee. Put it out off my mind and was really playing some nice golf best Ive played in quite a while! got a good bit of luck nice bounces etc was actually thinking the gods are shining and today might be my day!

Then came the 17th index 1 dog leg right its 235 yds to carry the river. Since I have my new 3 wood & driver Ive being over hitting it off the whites with my 3 wood into the trees I used to struggle with my old driver to make it never mind my 3 wood. fairway is like a 90 deg angle from the tee with river running all along it. So was saying its definitely driver off the blues. Playing partner who is off 4 went first and over hit his driver. So I stood up hit mine but half arsed hit it.. As I was thinking of his shot instead of fully committing.. looked tight in the air. Lads taught they seen it bounce. but it didnt.. :( had to drop at river shanked that shot into the river dropped again and took a 8! I lost the Captains by 2 shots...

But I broke 90 for the first time at my new club off blues too which its a monster off and finally got my first cut! Confidence is high again.. Had a great day met a good few member's at the dinner after and am severally hung over today. So all's good.

I have done something stupid in nearly every Captains day i've played in.. Ha..

Money on you for tomorrow so Captain Benny ??

• Advertisement

Money on you for tomorrow so Captain Benny ??

Ha and another 3rd! always the bridesmaid ..lol.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

Undoubtedly, the greatest weekend of golf I've had.

Junior Cup Semi finals in Greenore. We scraped through against Waterford with a massive turnaround in the final game after being 2down with 3 to go to win 3-2.

Other finalists were The Island who had comfortably won their semi final so against very good opposition.

We all played the golf of our lives and won overall 5-0. I had a shaky start but managed to turn it around in the end to win on the last. I wasn't up at any point in the match until the end.

First time the club has ever won a Junior Cup and roll on the All Ireland finals now in Westport!

I had a good and bad weekend on the course, I play off 16 and I had 5 pars, 3 bogies and one double for my front 9, I was on fire.

Then came the back 9....

I really felt the pressure of a great front 9 going to the 10th....

I so badly wanted to keep it going it all fell apart...

Long story short I shot 14 over on the back 9 with 4 lost balls.

19 over... Other days I'd be not so sad at this but it was hard to take after the front 9...

Still good fun tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Shot 1 over, got soaked, won the open championship

Thanks
    Shane

galwayllm wrote: »
    I had a good and bad weekend on the course, I play off 16 and I had 5 pars, 3 bogies and one double for my front 9, I was on fire.

Then came the back 9....

I really felt the pressure of a great front 9 going to the 10th....

I so badly wanted to keep it going it all fell apart...

Long story short I shot 14 over on the back 9 with 4 lost balls.

19 over... Other days I'd be not so sad at this but it was hard to take after the front 9...

Still good fun tho.

A little advice...try not looking at your score after 9(feel free to tell your partners you don't want to know your score no one will be offended by it). You'll generally know if you're going well, theres no need to know exactly how well.

Best to try just carry on & not think about your score as it just changes your focus from playing golf

• Advertisement
Advertisement